1975:The Toughest Year - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:09 PM   #31
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1975:The Toughest Year

A nice pic of Kerry Melville Reid. Can anyone verify that this is her husband Raz Reid?

Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:10 PM   #32
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Virginia Wade. the Goolagong-Wade match at Wimbledon was a thing of beauty to watch. It was voted the match of the Championships by tennis writers.

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:12 PM   #33
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

For once Wade did not choke at Wimbledon. She still lost 9-7 in the third to Goolagong.

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 3rd, 2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:15 PM   #34
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

The infamous Susan George, an actress girlfriend that Jimmy Connors was with at Wimbledon in 1975 after breaking up with Chris. There was some speculation it upset Chris Evert when the couple watched her vs King on Centre Court in the semis, causing an audible stir in the crowd.

Did it cause Chris to lose or play a factor in the loss? Perhaps, but it should be pointed out that King had never lost to Evert on grass at this point.

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:17 PM   #35
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Billie Jean at Eastbourne.

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:19 PM   #36
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Betty Stove at Eastbourne. 1975 was her first year as a top flight singles player. She was a set up vs Chris Evert in the quarters at Wimbledon. Her strong serve and hit or miss style tennis gave players fits, though Stove usually came up short vs the top ten.

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:30 PM   #37
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Wade beat all the top players early in 1975, marking her out as a contender again for majors. It says a lot about the depth of the tour that she ended the year at #5

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:32 PM   #38
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Youtube video of the 1975 Virginia Slims final. Evert won vs a tough field, and won in straights vs Martina in the final. This was the year Navratilova's potential to win slams was widely noticed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9BmnYM3cqU

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 5th, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:47 PM   #39
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

A short clip of the 1975 French final. According to the New York Times the crowd was "entranced by the Czech's daring"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7muZ0SPXWY

A lovely pic of the trophy ceremony. Note the people sitting on the roofs in the background! Also catch the Virginia Slims logo on Martina;s lapel.

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:55 PM   #40
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Evert won the 1975 US Open over Evonne Goolagonf in an entertaining final, but the story of the event was the defection of Navratilova.

http://www.itennisstore.com/Tennis-L...-THE-WEST.aspx

MARTINA NAVRATILOVA DEFECTS TO THE WEST

It had all the Cold War intrigue of a James Bond film or a John Le Carré novel. The 1975 US Open will forever be remembered, not for who won it, but for the dramatic defection of Martina Navratilova from Czechoslovakia to the United States.

It all happened halfway through the New York tournament. Helped by one of her American sports agents, Fred Barman, and the FBI, the 18-year-old Navratilova was given permission by the American authorities to defect to the USA. But she was well aware of how much it would infuriate her own communist government, so she kept the whole affair as secret as possible, not even telling her family or friends what she was planning.

“Fred was convinced that somebody was going to stuff me in a taxi, jab me with a hypodermic needle, and hustle me on to an airplane bound for Czechoslovakia,” she later wrote in her biography.

Eventually after much sneaking around, lying low and Cold War shenanigans, Navratilova received her much coveted green card.

The Czech authorities were furious. “Navratilova has suffered a defeat in the face of the Czechoslovak society,” said the Czech Tennis Federation in an official statement. “She had all possibilities in Czechoslovakia to develop her talent, but she preferred a professional career and a fat bank account.”

There’s no doubt that defection was Navratilova’s passport to both financial and sporting success. But it was also her route to freedom. In the years prior to her switching nationality, Czech authorities had been very suspicious. They were already restricting her travelling visas and refusing her access to some of the tournaments she asked to compete at. Once she had become a US citizen her career took off. Over the following three decades she saw amazing success at the Grand Slams, winning 18 Singles, 31 Doubles and 10 Mixed doubles titles. Had she remained a Czech citizen, travel restrictions and reduced financial incentives would without doubt have hampered her development – at least until the Czech communists were overthrown in 1989.

Nevertheless, those early years as a defector weren’t easy for Navratilova. “I had to wait five years to become a (US) citizen,” she said, “which meant five years of avoiding flights over Communist territory, just in case my plane would be forced to land and I would be taken off it. I wasn’t taking any chances.”

When she won Wimbledon for the first time in 1978 the Czech media blanked out all coverage. It wasn’t until 1986, during the final death throes of the Soviet Bloc that she felt comfortable enough to return to Prague. This time it was as a member of the American Federation Cup team.
Inevitably, her 1975 defection upstaged much of the on-court action at that year’s US Open. American players Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert both reached the final, the latter winning the title. But for the USA, the most important result that year was Navratilova’s defection: USA 1, Czechoslovakia 0.
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #41
country flag Josus57

Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all

The 1975 Virginia Slims was the 2nd Tourament I attended. I was at the final in 74 when Olga Morozova won in straight sets over Billie Jean King. In 75, I attended the semi-finals, as well as the final. In the singles semis I saw Chris Evert defeat Martina Navratilova: 7-6 6-4, as well as Virginia Wade beating Billie Jean King: 3-6 6-2 6-2 (wish I had that match on tape, or better still DVD) I know that King & Rosie Casals won their doubles semi-final, as did Evonne Goolagong & Betty Stove. In the final (and this was still my favorite tourament final day that I ever attended as Virginia beat Chris 7-5 6-4 in which I thought was a great match (as Virginia is my 2nd favorite female tennis player of all time) and Evonne Goolagong (who is my favorite female tennis player of all time) and Betty Stove won the doubles final over King & Casals: 4-6 6-4 7-6 (5-3). I wish I had the 2 matches as well!
Josus57 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #42
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Thanks for the first hand account of an event (Philly-right?) from the "golden age".

I just love that action pic of Wade (my all-time fav). Goolagong is my #2 Josus-so we have similar good taste!

Do you have some Goolagong-Wade matches? Evonne gave Wade fits-but some of their match are true diamonds. 1975 Wimbledon and a WIT match they played both take my breath away.

What were your impressions of Olga Morozova?