#1 Serena Williams Denied Photo of Tiger Woods - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 07:12 PM   #121
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: #1 Serena Williams Denied Picture Phone photo attempt of Tiger Woods!! Too Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Cell phones even worse. Incidentally they didn't even allow you to take those in at the USO in the LPGA when I went there some years ago. And if she did that there - she would have had her cell phone confiscated. Anyway at a normal tournament they MUST be switched off whilst in the grounds. So she would actually have broken TWO rules.

Have you ever even been to a golf tournament? You are the one who isn't listening? I did answer the question by stating it is irrelevant. It doesn't matter whether she was intending to take the photograph after the shot. You don't hold a camera or cell phone up until the instructions all around telling you not to come down.

All the rest of the people watching obey that rule and don't hold cell phones cameras up then. You'll stand out like a sore thumb to security. The security guard would not be doing his job if he didn't have a word with Serena. The only other people in trouble with this are very occasionally someone walking on the path behind not watching and their cell phone goes off that they have not put on silent or switched off. But the crowd watching the tee shot just don't do it when the signs are up.
How in the world are cell phones "worse"?!
Where are you going with this exactly? You make no logical sense with that statement alone.
And yeah, I fully understand why the rules/policies are in place. And as I already stated, the noise (clicking) and flash are the reasons why the rules exist, but that those (audible and visual distractions) can be optioned off on a cell phone.
But there's no further use arguing this with you.
You believe what you want to believe, and I'll believe in pragmatism, logic, and that as technology changes, so do the rules/policies.

You sound like one of those people who believes that once rules are applied that they should NEVER change.
No need to reply, cuz I'm done with this non-issue debate.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 08:05 PM   #122
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute
Re: #1 Serena Williams Denied Picture Phone photo attempt of Tiger Woods!! Too Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
Then, can you explain this?
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:40 PM   #123
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
How in the world are cell phones "worse"?!
Where are you going with this exactly? You make no logical sense with that statement alone.
And yeah, I fully understand why the rules/policies are in place. And as I already stated, the noise (clicking) and flash are the reasons why the rules exist, but that those (audible and visual distractions) can be optioned off on a cell phone.
But there's no further use arguing this with you.
You believe what you want to believe, and I'll believe in pragmatism, logic, and that as technology changes, so do the rules/policies.

You sound like one of those people who believes that once rules are applied that they should NEVER change.
No need to reply, cuz I'm done with this non-issue debate.
Try to keep up. As I plainly stated but I'll state again: It's worse because there's another rule that's been broken here that cell phones should be switched off in the premises (not just at the tee) and she's holding it up with it switched on to take a photograph when the signs are telling her not to.

No I don't believe that a rule should never change. And sure rules do and have changed. But while they are in existence on private property (and it's irrelevant what the reason is and whether you agree with the reason) - don't blame security for trying to enforce them.

Anyway - no harm was done to Tiger so gotta laugh because she was a naughty girl trying it on I don't think she'll try that again.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : Mar 3rd, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 03:02 AM   #124
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation
Re: #1 Serena Williams Denied Photo of Tiger Woods!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollaneres25 View Post
What? How is this thread inviting haters?? It's a funny moment, even Serena smiled and chuckled! PLEASE!!
What kind of exchange was that? I mean how the hell did Venus get in it? This made frigging national news---I suppose Yahoo, the newyorkdailynews, La Times etc are envious of Serena's success too
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #125
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
I know I'm pleasantly surprised she didn't start calling him a hater or unattractive inside though

I gotta admit her reaction was really cute though
You really have a problem, Domi. You need to start acting a bit more natural, otherwise you're gonna stand out too much.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #126
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
You really have a problem, Domi. You need to start acting a bit more natural, otherwise you're gonna stand out too much.
Don't make me post some of the sick horrors you sent me about gay ppl
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #127
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute
Re: #1 Serena Williams Denied Photo of Tiger Woods

Yeah, my buddy who goes to golf tournies told me you can't take pics at PGA/LPGA events and I couldn't believe it. It's the same rationale--"interference" with the swing, but at a tennis tournament you can hear the machine gun like shutter click in any match where there's a top player or "glamour" babe playing. Makes no sense why there's a distinction, to be honest. I hope we don't get a ban on picture taking at tennis events eventually.

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
'
Kipling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #128
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravanecaravan View Post
Yeah, my buddy who goes to golf tournies told me you can't take pics at PGA/LPGA events and I couldn't believe it. It's the same rationale--"interference" with the swing, but at a tennis tournament you can hear the machine gun like shutter click in any match where there's a top player or "glamour" babe playing. Makes no sense why there's a distinction, to be honest. I hope we don't get a ban on picture taking at tennis events eventually.
In my opinion it makes complete sense. The nature of both sports are completely different. In a game of golf, on say, a par 4 hole...you would ideally play 3 or 4 shots to end the hole. That's 3 or 4 single golf shots on just one hole.

In a game of tennis, you might hit 3 or 4 shots say in one single rally. That's just one point. One point is very very very different to one entire hole in the context of the sport of golf.

Interference in golf will always have a much more prominent effect. An interference that triggers a bad tee shot for a professional golfer could be the difference between winning and losing a tournament, especially seeing as though scorelines with winners winning in multiple play-off ties are somewhat frequent.

If a tennis player loses a rally because of a flash or auditory distraction...the umpire makes a recommendation and play continues. Like I said earlier in the thread, the distraction would have to happen on a VITAL point of play to even warrant comparison with distractions in golf.

I do not at all accept that distractions in golf and tennis are synonymous at all. A simple understanding of the nature of the scoring system of golf at such an elite level would suggest that.
Lachy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #129
country flag gbenga

gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute

An the unnecessary argument continues.
gbenga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #130
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Don't make me post some of the sick horrors you sent me about gay ppl
Sick horrors?!
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #131
country flag Marlene

Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachy View Post
In my opinion it makes complete sense. The nature of both sports are completely different. In a game of golf, on say, a par 4 hole...you would ideally play 3 or 4 shots to end the hole. That's 3 or 4 single golf shots on just one hole.

In a game of tennis, you might hit 3 or 4 shots say in one single rally. That's just one point. One point is very very very different to one entire hole in the context of the sport of golf.

Interference in golf will always have a much more prominent effect. An interference that triggers a bad tee shot for a professional golfer could be the difference between winning and losing a tournament, especially seeing as though scorelines with winners winning in multiple play-off ties are somewhat frequent.

If a tennis player loses a rally because of a flash or auditory distraction...the umpire makes a recommendation and play continues. Like I said earlier in the thread, the distraction would have to happen on a VITAL point of play to even warrant comparison with distractions in golf.

I do not at all accept that distractions in golf and tennis are synonymous at all. A simple understanding of the nature of the scoring system of golf at such an elite level would suggest that.
How does a silent, non-clicking, non-flashing iPhone in the hands of an onlooker 50+ feet away cause interference?
Marlene is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #132
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
How does a silent, non-clicking, non-flashing iPhone in the hands of an onlooker 50+ feet away cause interference?
I think they just have a no-photo policy...it's impossible for security to ascertain if people have the sound and flash turned off...so instead they just say no photographs during the swing.

Another interesting point is that Serena was on the same level/possibly slightly below the player. If it were a flash camera it would have been directly in the line of sight. In tennis at least the spectators are seated up above the level of play.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #133
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachy View Post

If a pro athlete cannot withstand the mental pressure of being in front of cameras--of knowing he or she is being watched and photographed--what is he or she doing in professional sports? I would submit that if an athlete is that fragile, they need to find a good sports psychologist, pronto. About the only useful thing I can see from a ban on cameras at golf events is that players can't blame their numerous "bad tee shots" on fans taking their pictures.

IMHO the scoring system should have nothing to do with the distinction between cameras at golf and tennis events. It's not the scoring system I was referring to anyway. That shouldn't matter. As long as the fan isn't shoving the lens in the athlete's face, the issue is really about the amount of noise, not its frequency or placement. It's the amount of noise a camera shutter makes in the context of a shriek or grunt on a tennis court, or a wild eruption from a gallery on a golf course. Noise is a part of sports. In general, the cameras obviously do not bother them, because if you Google "Tiger Woods" you will see plenty of photos of him swinging the golf club in PGA events. It's the fact that the photos that are taken are taken by accredited photographers. Fans are prohibited from taking photos because it would be "excessive", or some of them would consider it excessive, but I still say it's less noise than a gallery on the next hole erupting just as you're taking your putter back. Are you going to give me a Mulligan for that if I send it six feet by the cup when Tiger holes out on the adjacent hole?

I think golfers like to single out people with cameras and take out their frustrations on them because they are convenient targets for venting their anger when their rounds are going to hell. It's just easier to blame the guy on the tenth fairway taking my picture for the 80 I shot than admitting that I played like garbage. That's why I think cameras are banned at golf events.

My point was that legislating against the nominal amount of noise that cameras add doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense where noise is a regular part of the competition.

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
'

Last edited by Kipling : Mar 4th, 2013 at 02:29 PM.
Kipling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #134
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravanecaravan View Post
If a pro athlete cannot withstand the mental pressure of being in front of cameras--of knowing he or she is being watched and photographed--what is he or she doing in professional sports? I would submit that if an athlete is that fragile, they need to find a good sports psychologist, pronto.

The scoring system has nothing to do with that. It's not the scoring system I was referring to anyway. It's the amount of noise a camera shutter makes in the context of a shriek or grunt on a tennis court, or a wild eruption from a gallery on a golf course. Noise is a part of sports. In general, the cameras obviously do not bother them, because if you Google "Tiger Woods" you will see plenty of photos of him swinging the golf club in PGA events. It's the fact that the photos that are taken are taken by accredited photographers. Fans are prohibited from taking photos because it would be "excessive", or some of them would consider it excessive, but I still say it's less noise than a gallery on the next hole erupting just as you're taking your putter back. Are you going to give me a Mulligan for that if I send it six feet by the cup when Tiger holes out on the adjacent hole?

My point was that legislating against the nominal amount of it that cameras add doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense where noise is a regular part of the competition.
See to me a flash or noise disruption right in the middle of a swing phase has absolutely nothing to do with fragility of an athlete. The sheer concentration and precision that a golf shot entails should speak for itself.

It is painfully obvious that there should be legislation and rules in place...much much much more so in golf than tennis imo.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #135
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

i really wonder what would have done this security if instead of Serena it had been Mr. Obama?

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote