Mirjana's spring 2013 campaign - Page 36 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 1st, 2013, 03:28 PM   #526
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future
Re: Mirjana's spring 2013 campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmo! View Post
Keothavong/Sav. in final
Well, good for them, but it could have been Mirjana and Maria. By a hair's breadth.

No matter what: another thing that is impressing me is Mirjana's ability this year to meld quickly and successfully with different dubs partners. To me, this is another indication of the improvement of her overall game & attitude.

Also: our beloved Mirjana showed greater mettle against mighty Venus than 5th seed Rybarikova, who was bageled in the QF second set. I am reevaluating the Venus match and think that her late-match surge may prove pivotal for the rest of the season.

It's a thought, anyhow. Hope she kicks some a$$ in the desert (Indian Wells). I used to live just a mile from the stadium but can't get down there this year. My old tennis buddy Cal and his wife, Bonnie, volunteer every year for that event, which is one of the best in the world for spectators. The qualifying rounds are "free" and bring out fabulous tennis fans. Please go, if anyone lives nearby, and support the players and wonderful volunteers. You'll have a fabulous tennis experience. Cal and Bonnie occasionally peek at the Mirjana thread, so ... Hi, guys! I'll miss you this year. Have fun!
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 1st, 2013, 11:30 PM   #527
country flag volume3d

volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold

Just checked Miki's scores this year...something that looks great is the fact that she's not loosing sets by 62,61 or 60 like she did before. Not a single set lost by these scores during 2013. Only against Venus she lost 3&3 , in all other matches she got at least 4 games in all sets she lost.

Now she only needs that final push so we can expect some great result very soon

Tipping2010: Wimbledon&US Open winner, Prague F, Cincinnati& Tashkent SF

Tipping2011: Sydney&Stuttgart F
volume3d is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 03:21 AM   #528
country flag SERVivor

SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold

I just saw the thread on general forum about Venus Williams losing to Puchkova today. Her fans are acting like she was playing injured all week. One guy said she has been serving at only 80mph on first serve all week. I pointed out the match is on youtube and she was hitting it up to 185 K/hr. which is about 115=120 mph. I didn't see Williams-Puchova but apparently Venus was slow and weak. I don't think that was the case against Lucic, though.
SERVivor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 11:37 AM   #529
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute

No, Venus was not injured against Lucic. She was serving around 190 kmh/h. I saw her against Olga, totally different player. Believe me, Puckhova is one lucky girl. I hope Mirjana plays her on clay to smack her ass. :P
ajmo! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 12:37 PM   #530
country flag MLF

MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmo! View Post
Puckhova is one lucky girl. I hope Mirjana plays her on clay to smack her ass. :P
Hmmm, seeing as Puchkova has won their only meeting this might not be a given. I'd actually almost place Puchkova and Lucic in similar territories these days. Similar career high rankings ( though Miki of course has had far more career highlights ) and both big hitters trying to get back solidly into the top 100. This week Olga won a tight match against the seeded Flipkens who Miki lost narrowly to in Quebec when the draw opened. Puchkova also took out Cepelova this week who we know has frustrated Miki on two occasions. These little differences equate to a lot of points eventually but I'm sure Miki can turn it around.
MLF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 05:57 PM   #531
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by volume3d View Post
Just checked Miki's scores this year...something that looks great is the fact that she's not loosing sets by 62,61 or 60 like she did before. Not a single set lost by these scores during 2013. Only against Venus she lost 3&3 , in all other matches she got at least 4 games in all sets she lost.

Now she only needs that final push so we can expect some great result very soon
That is a very good point to have made. I also think this is indicative of definite improvements in Mirjana's game from the end of last year to now. She's making more of an impact in each set. The only thing left is to find that breakthrough match opportunity. She has to both find it and create it, I guess.

As for Puchkova and Venus -- Williams was clearly worn out against Puchkova, and she was much snappier against Mirjana. I suppose this unfortunate syndrome she has makes some difference. It seemed clear to me that she was a step of two slower. Yes, lucky Puchkova. I do not think she will win the final, but her game was languishing in the Land of Nowhere for years and, lo and behold, up the charts she rises.

In some ways I think it rather impressive that Mirjana has clung to her "on the cusp of Top 100" the way she has for three years. The fortunes of so many of these girls rise and fall in much more pronounced, roller-coaster fashion. Clearly, injury/illness is a big factor. Amanmuradova, Krajicek, Dolonts, Voskoboeva, etc.Like yo-yos, these girls. Look at Mattek-Sands making a surprise run this week. She could well win the event in Malaysia and would not be ranked as high as Mirjana.

One hopes that Mirjana finds her big "run" very soon.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 03:05 PM   #532
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLF View Post
Hmmm, seeing as Puchkova has won their only meeting this might not be a given. I'd actually almost place Puchkova and Lucic in similar territories these days. Similar career high rankings ( though Miki of course has had far more career highlights ) and both big hitters trying to get back solidly into the top 100. This week Olga won a tight match against the seeded Flipkens who Miki lost narrowly to in Quebec when the draw opened. Puchkova also took out Cepelova this week who we know has frustrated Miki on two occasions. These little differences equate to a lot of points eventually but I'm sure Miki can turn it around.
Olga had an easy draw in baku and US Open and those two results really gave her a lot of confidence and points. If that Baku and then easy draw in NY never happened she wouldn't be near top 150, she just had luck and now is using it. It looks similar, but I need to believe Mirjana's better. They play similar, but Lucic hits a lot harder. Also, when Mirjana lost I believe she was tired after winning an event week before, also she bageled Olga in one set. Anyway, I do believe Mirjana is better
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 04:01 PM   #533
country flag mikireturns

Crossing fingers for a REALLY good draw for Lucic-Baroni in qualifying. I believe they'll draw this afternoon in IW.

All of the Q prospects will be tough, but all should be beatable (and some moreso than others).

GL and, please, keep Jana Cepelova far, far away.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 04:03 PM   #534
ajmo!

Beautifull event is IW tournament, I would really like Mirjana to have good run. GL wih the draw. Easy QR1 would be good to start with.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:55 PM   #535
country flag mic12

mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice

(1)Stefanie Voegele (SUI) v (wc)Sachia Vickery (USA)
Jessica Pegula (USA) v (17)Mirjana Lucic-Baroni (CRO)

Hope she qualifies!
mic12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #536
country flag mikireturns

It's DO-able. Both Voegle and Vickery are playing reasonably well, and Mirjana lost to Voegle on clay last year (I think) ... but she could have drawn more challenging players (for her) ... Still, she will have to produce her A-game, strong first-strike tennis, and no mental walkabouts.

Go for it, Mirjana. Best of luck.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #537
country flag mic12

mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice

I hope so! If she can only get a couple of wins in a row this year... i think good things will happen.
mic12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #538
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikireturns View Post
It's DO-able. Both Voegle and Vickery are playing reasonably well, and Mirjana lost to Voegle on clay last year (I think) ... but she could have drawn more challenging players (for her)
But she first has to get past Pegula
networthy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 01:24 AM   #539
country flag WhatTheDeuce
11/11/11

WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute

Have a bad feeling about Pegula...
Never come

WhatTheDeuce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #540
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

^ Me too

But I have a bad feeling about every single one of Mirjana's opponents
networthy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote