News and updates about Victoria Azarenka - Page 43 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Reply

Old Feb 21st, 2013, 12:34 AM   #631
country flag Little Dreamer
テニプリ
 
Little Dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10,569
Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
I tend to think Radwanska's grass prowess is overrated on the basis of reaching last years Wimbledon final.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhorse View Post
A Radwanska match against Azarenka would certainly be interesting. So would a Radwanska vs Kvitova match on grass.

Such contrasting styles of play usually make for great tennis. Although we all know Azarenka usually delivers a routine beat down for Aga.
Both true. Radwanska (or to a lessor extent Caroline) vs any player who can bash the ball (pure ball bashers a la Georges) tend to be my favorite matchups. A smart, but weaker players vs a dumb player but has all the power in the world. It's no fun to watch two ball bashers or two pushers because both aren't a drag to watch. Either you cringe at every UE or cry when one player fails to put away an easy ball . Azarenka isn't as exciting because she actually THINKS on court so she makes quick work of Aga, every time.

And although she's a bit overrated on grass (look at the Olympics 2012) hasn't she a junior slam @ Wimbledon? And making the finals isn't a fluke at Wimbledon (well kind of, didn't she beat Kirilenko for a spot in the finals :lol)
__________________






Little Dreamer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Feb 21st, 2013, 11:05 AM   #632
country flag ozza
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,488
ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatedG View Post
Both true. Radwanska (or to a lessor extent Caroline) vs any player who can bash the ball (pure ball bashers a la Georges) tend to be my favorite matchups. A smart, but weaker players vs a dumb player but has all the power in the world. It's no fun to watch two ball bashers or two pushers because both aren't a drag to watch. Either you cringe at every UE or cry when one player fails to put away an easy ball . Azarenka isn't as exciting because she actually THINKS on court so she makes quick work of Aga, every time.

And although she's a bit overrated on grass (look at the Olympics 2012) hasn't she a junior slam @ Wimbledon? And making the finals isn't a fluke at Wimbledon (well kind of, didn't she beat Kirilenko for a spot in the finals :lol)
Vika doesn't really fall in either category of "ball basher" or "pusher", if you were going to have a spectrum she would would fall pretty near the middle. Aga's problem vs her tends to stem from her poor 2nd serve and she's always on the backfoot in rallies, and can't get out. Once Aga is on the backfoot she doesn't really have the power or way to redirect the ball to get back into the rally. Aga struggles to attack vs Vika. The reason I think it won't change much on grass is because it becomes harder to actually stay in rallies on grass, it's harder to defend. And it's hard to make out Vika as some "grass mug" when she only lost to Serena Williams in the semi's twice last year.

Junior results can be a little funky, eg. Wozniacki won Junior Wimbledon too, but doesn't seem to enjoy the grass at all in the pro ranks. And obviously her final wasn't a fluke, you can only beat who is front of you. It just so happened though that she was the last of the lambs to the slaughter vs Serena.
ozza is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 11:25 AM   #633
country flag Natural Joe
Senior Member
 
Natural Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In The Lost Woods
Posts: 12,416
Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
I tend to think Radwanska's grass prowess is overrated on the basis of reaching last years Wimbledon final.
I agree, and at the same time I get the feeling that Vika's game on grass is quite a bit underrated. All in all I don't see how playing on that surface would change the outcome of this match-up in Radwanska's favor.
__________________
Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.

Last edited by Natural Joe : Feb 21st, 2013 at 11:38 AM.
Natural Joe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #634
country flag joshum
Senior Member
 
joshum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,139
joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

Thought this is pretty well said of vika at tennisearth.com (actually a piece on Murray). I do agree that vika is a great thinker on court which most people don't realize that much.

-----------------------------
In the women’s section of the game, when it comes to strategy one name comes to mind – Victoria Azarenka. The Belarusian has a powerful game of her own, but the now two-time Aussie Open champion has the ability and perhaps the management to realize her opponent’s weaknesses and her own strengths. Knowing them is one thing, while executing them is another – Azarenka has been fantastic at sticking to her strategies over the last year or so, and has reaped the rewards.
joshum is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #635
country flag ReboundAce
Senior Member
 
ReboundAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,197
ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Vika doesn't really fall in either category of "ball basher" or "pusher", if you were going to have a spectrum she would would fall pretty near the middle. Aga's problem vs her tends to stem from her poor 2nd serve and she's always on the backfoot in rallies, and can't get out. Once Aga is on the backfoot she doesn't really have the power or way to redirect the ball to get back into the rally. Aga struggles to attack vs Vika. The reason I think it won't change much on grass is because it becomes harder to actually stay in rallies on grass, it's harder to defend. And it's hard to make out Vika as some "grass mug" when she only lost to Serena Williams in the semi's twice last year.

Junior results can be a little funky, eg. Wozniacki won Junior Wimbledon too, but doesn't seem to enjoy the grass at all in the pro ranks. And obviously her final wasn't a fluke, you can only beat who is front of you. It just so happened though that she was the last of the lambs to the slaughter vs Serena.
Absolutely agree, i just dont know how many times she has lost to the actual champion she lost to Serena in 09, 12 and two times to an on form petra kvitova, so defifnitely I think that is the Slam after AO where she could have a great run, just wasnt very lucky wit the draws
ReboundAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #636
country flag ozza
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,488
ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReboundAce View Post
Absolutely agree, i just dont know how many times she has lost to the actual champion she lost to Serena in 09, 12 and two times to an on form petra kvitova, so defifnitely I think that is the Slam after AO where she could have a great run, just wasnt very lucky wit the draws
I think USO is clearly her most likely next venue to win a major. I do believe Vika can win majors on any of the surfaces though.
ozza is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #637
country flag ReboundAce
Senior Member
 
ReboundAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,197
ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
I think USO is clearly her most likely next venue to win a major. I do believe Vika can win majors on any of the surfaces though.
I would love her to get that one too, but she lost to more random player at the us open than in Wimbledon where she played grass specialist, so it would be nice to see her win both
ReboundAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #638
country flag Natural Joe
Senior Member
 
Natural Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In The Lost Woods
Posts: 12,416
Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

Quote:
AZARENKA: JUST LOOKING TO WIN
One would think there's a lot on Victoria Azarenka's mind coming into Indian Wells - undefeated this season, defending champion, No.1 seed - but for the Belarusian, there's really just one focus.

Published March 07, 2013 12:00


INDIAN WELLS, CA, USA - For Victoria Azarenka, 2013 has started off much the same as 2012 - unbeaten in January and February, and coming into Indian Wells with expectations about staying unbeaten. So how does the Belarusian stay focused on hitting those little yellow things on the court?

"There's really no such thing as unstoppable in tennis, because sooner or later it's going to happen to everybody," Azarenka said recently. "I'm here to try to win every match when I go on court. That's the mentality. And how many wins it will be and all the numbers, that just depends on me doing as good a job as possible every single day, just giving my best - that's the only thing I can ask of myself."

Azarenka came out of the blocks in 2012 with a phenomenal 26-0 start, winning Sydney, the Australian Open, Doha and Indian Wells, then making the quarterfinals of Miami before falling to Marion Bartoli.

So far in 2013, Azarenka is 14-0 - she reached the semifinals of Brisbane before having to withdraw due to a toe injury, then won the Australian Open and Doha again. Now she's back in Indian Wells.

"It's not really in my mind to beat the statistics," Azarenka said. "I never look to beat statistics, beat records. I'm just looking to win. That's the most important. Whatever comes with it, comes with it."

And that mentality could also help her block out an extra expectation this fortnight in Indian Wells as the defending champion. "I never actually send a message to myself to defend a title - I go to tournaments to win the title, to just try one match at a time and be very determined to win matches.

"I'm always serious on the court. I'm not there to joke around. When I step on the court, I'm all in."

If history is anything to go by, Azarenka defending her title at Indian Wells would definitely be a big feat - in the 24 previous editions of the event, only one player has been able to win back-to-back titles: Martina Navratilova in 1990 and 1991. Perhaps surprisingly, only three times has the defending champion even made it past the quarterfinals the next year, that being Navratilova winning the title in 1990 then winning it again in 1991; Lindsay Davenport winning the title in 1997 then finishing runner-up in 1998; and, similarly, Ana Ivanovic winning the title in 1998 then finishing runner-up in 1999.

Before Indian Wells, Azarenka went to New York City to play the BNP Paribas Showdown exhibition at Madison Square Garden against Serena Williams as part of World Tennis Day.
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/articl...looking-to-win
__________________
Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Natural Joe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #639
country flag mrudka
Senior Member
 
mrudka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 130
mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all mrudka is a name known to all
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

Press conference after match R2 with Hantuchova
Quote:
March 9, 2013

Victoria Azarenka

INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

V. AZARENKA/D. Hantuchova 6‑4, 6‑1

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What was the tape on the back of your left leg? Is that something new, or is that...

VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, it's just to make sure the protection for my ankle that I had before.That's pretty much it.

Q. It feels okay?

VICTORIA AZARENKA: It feels better, yeah.

Q. You won 11 of the last 12 games. Can you explain what happened in the first 5?

VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I have to give her credit. I think she started really well. It was my first match after a while, so it's always a little bit tricky.She already had a match under her belt, plus I think she really feels very good here, obviously winning two times before.So caught me a little bit off guard. I needed a little bit of time to realize that I'm in the tournament, that I have to step it up if I want to win the match.That's it. I think I adjusted really well, tried to make her hit out of her comfortable zone, because at the beginning she was really going for her shots and making incredible winners.But then I felt I changed the momentum and started to do that myself.

Q. Why has she been a difficult matchup for you in the past, and what was maybe different with tonight's match?

VICTORIA AZARENKA: You know, the last time I remember I played her, it was the match before ‑‑the match after I wanted to stop playing tennis. That match I don't even think about considering of the matchup. It was just an awful matchup for me.I think she has a very good‑‑ you know, we kind of have similar hitting zones, so when we hit to each other it's a little bit of a battle.But I feel like I improved as a player. I can bring different things instead of just one pace, so made the change, especially today.

Q. Do you play better at places where you have won before? Is that normal for players? Why is that, do you think? Lleyton Hewitt today beat Isner, and he talked about he won here in 2003 and you always remember places where you win.

VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, you definitely have great memories. It kind of warms up the feeling when you step on the court.I never really look back. As I always mention, I try to go on the court and just do my job. But obviously I played well here, so I don't expect every time to play well here because it will not happen every time.But it's definitely one of the great tournaments, and everybody enjoy to play here. It's just facility, the atmosphere, the fans are bringing the best out of you.

Q. Is it easier to play well at a place where you have played well before because you know you can do it?

VICTORIA AZARENKA: It's the same for me.

Q. It's the same?

VICTORIA AZARENKA: It's the same, yeah.

Q. When did you start to feel like you had those different game plans, plan B and plan C that you talked about just a few moments ago? When did that start developing in your game?

VICTORIA AZARENKA: Over the years. It's a long process where you try to put a lot of new things into your repertoire where you probably weren't comfortable doing before. I feel like I have a big ability to improve my game. It was really straightforward, and I needed to expand that.I did. And I'm still doing, still developing plan D, plan E, and all the way to the end of the alphabet.

Q. It's hard to do that, because it's easier to practice new things in practice and training, but to actually use those in a match is a transition you have to make, no?

VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, it's the most difficult part. But you have to be determined. You have to have the will to go through. Sometimes fail, sometimes mistakes. You have to take‑‑ be brave enough to go through those things.Because if you have a plan, if you know and you trust your team, you trust your plan of what you want to do, what you want to achieve, then it makes it easier.

Q. So what's the newest thing in your game right now that you have added that maybe you're the least comfortable with?

VICTORIA AZARENKA: New thing?

Q. What's the newest thing you have added to your game?

VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, it's not like I have a new forehand or something. It's just ability to use the whole range of court, you know, place the ball, whatever I want to do from any position.So to name one in particular, it's just a matchup. You know, when I see the ball in the court, I want to know exactly where I want to put it.

Q. Does it always go there?

VICTORIA AZARENKA: Unfortunately, not. (Smiling.)Doesn't matter how long I practice.

Q. You trained as a child in Arizona, so do you like these conditions? I mean, the desert, does it remind you of when you came to the States?

VICTORIA AZARENKA: It does a little bit. It feels familiar, really familiar, but I haven't practiced there too much to be that close.But, you know, coming here every year, you feel those resemblings with Arizona. I actually do feel it's still very different from Arizona because it's‑‑ Arizona is a little more altitude, the ball flies more.Here is a little bit smaller with a higher bounce.

Q. When it cools off like it has been these last few days, how does that change the conditions and what was that like playing through those conditions? I hear it slows down quite a bit when it gets cold.

VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think so. The ball probably stays a little bit, you know, lower. But for me, the most important is I don't get cold. That's why I play in all those things. I hate being cold. The problem is with the wind, you know, it's very easy to get cold in the changeover.I'm not worried. I'm just worried not to get, you know, my muscles cold.

Q. Conditions like this we almost expect you to come out in one of those fur hood things.

VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, no, I'm comfortable in what I wear. It's not that much clothes. (Smiling.)
mrudka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #640
country flag Natural Joe
Senior Member
 
Natural Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In The Lost Woods
Posts: 12,416
Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

Press conference.

Quote:
BNP PARIBAS OPEN

March 11, 2013

Victoria Azarenka

INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

V. AZARENKA/K. Flipkens
3‑6, 6‑3, 6‑0


THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You looked like you were sort of, you know, limping or had an issue out is there. What was going on?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, I wasn't feeling very well today, but it didn't really put too much impact on what happened before. It definitely didn't help, but I don't like to find something that was bothering me.
I would just rather look forward what can I improve for tomorrow. Whatever happened in the first set is not going to happen tomorrow.

Q. What was actually wrong? You say you weren't feeling well.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't know. Just wanted to go to sleep instead of playing tennis. (Smiling.)
I couldn't breathe, and I was too stupid not to use a tissue, so simple as that. But I mean, she really played well. I have to give her credit. She came out, you know, firing, playing, you know, so freely and going for every possible shot there was.
So I just didn't adjust well. I didn't take my chances, and I was too blurry in what I had to do.

Q. Is this going to be a concern for tomorrow, your health, or do you feel it's just...
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't know. I mean, we'll see. It's no reason to think about it right now. It's just important to go get rest. I'm going to get treatment as usual, and come out and do my best tomorrow. That's all I can ask for.
But how I'm going to feel tomorrow, I can only tell you tomorrow.

Q. Is this something you felt coming on the last few days or just today?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't know. The last two days, I mean, my voice is a little weird. I sound like ridiculous.

Q. Besides your health issues, how much fun are you having right now with your winning and continuing to move on in all these tournaments?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I'm really happy that I find the ability to turn around my matches no matter of what the circumstances are on the court.
So that's definitely what is excite me the most. The game, you know, the shots, it's so not important when you can turn around with your mentality, with your physical ability, because shots is just shots. Everybody can hit shots.
But to know when to take your opportunities, when to do the thing, is definitely learning experience. I'm glad I'm starting to master that.

Q. How were you able to flip it tonight?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I just blow out my nose, started breathing better and came down and started to see what I had to do, because before that I was ‑‑I was kind of blinded.

Q. Any particular problem with your ankle? There was tape. Did you injure yourself?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I had an injury before in Dubai, and so it's still a bit there. But it's not an excuse. It's just something that I have to deal with. I mean, everybody sometime hurts something, so just keep going.

Q. What went through your mind beginning of the second set? How did you turn it around?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't even know. I mean, I think about weirdest things when I'm on the court. I think about a movie, I think about, I don't know, what my nephew is doing. I watched a video before, he was juggling and all stuff.
Whatever pops in my head. It's not like, what am I going to do right now when I'm sitting on the changeover, or I lost this game because made this mistake. I don't analyze that way, because I analyze ‑‑ when I do mistakes, on the changeovers and this time, it's just whatever comes to my head.

Q. Should we assume you're as confident now as you've ever been now when you walk on the tennis court because of your success?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think confidence is overrated always.

Q. Really?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, because you don't win by confidence. You win by your action. You win by finding what you have to do in particular moment.
Confidence is just a word for me out there that ‑‑ it does exist, I think. You know, the way you position yourself, the way you carry yourself, but it's not real to me.

Q. What are your thoughts on the next match? What are your expectations?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I never really have expectations. I just try to go out there and do my job as best as I can.
Tomorrow I think it's going to be an interesting match. I haven't played Urszula in a long time. I only played her once. She's a very talented player and I think she's improved her game a lot, so obviously here she's been showing some very good results in the past.
So it's going to be difficult, and I have to come up with my best game. I'm sure she will, too. We'll battle.

Q. How did you do against her the last time?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I won.

Q. In general, was it an easy match or was it...
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't remember much, but I think it was quite close two sets. Yeah. I just remember which court we played on.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports
__________________
Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Natural Joe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #641
country flag Natural Joe
Senior Member
 
Natural Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In The Lost Woods
Posts: 12,416
Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

PC

Quote:
BNP PARIBAS OPEN

March 12, 2013

Victoria Azarenka

INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

V. AZARENKA/U. Radwanska
6‑3, 6‑1


THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. It seemed like a tough match out there. You looked pretty relieved to get the win at the end. Can you talk about it a little bit? Just looked like you were having a few physical issues out there?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, I think it was pretty obvious that, you know, I wasn't feeling that well. My ankle was bothering me. It's been bothering me for a while, so it hasn't been really getting better.
But, you know, in the bright side I won the match. I could overcome those things and manage to ‑ I don't know how ‑ just to pull those opportunities to take these chances in the important moments and really go for my shots, to make that happen, not to wait for her mistake.
Because at some point I was waiting for her mistake, and I can't do that. She wasn't missing because she's a very, very consistent player, so I decided to just take everything in my own hands and see where it takes me.

Q. I know you don't believe in the concept of confidence, but in those moments are you thinking about the hard work you're putting in on the courts or your winning streak? What are you tapping into?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I never think about winning streak. I have big self‑belief. I just know the things that I have to do, you know, and it will sometimes not work out.
But if I have good intentions, I have a good mindset and know exactly what to do, you know, the outcome is not that important for me. It's important to make sure that I do the right thing.

Q. Is the ankle something that is just niggling and you know you can play through, or is it something day to day and might be something to force you to pull out?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I'm not going to give any answer of pulling out, that's for sure. I'm going to do everything I can to be ready for my next match and fight as hard as I can.
There's no doubt about that.
Q. Do you have a little bit of a cold, too, maybe?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: (Smiling) I'm not sounding really sexy right now, eh?

Q. Is it muscle or bone with your ankle?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I have no idea yet.
Q. Have you been to the doctor?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I have my team with me. We're still trying to figure it out.

Q. No MRI or anything like that?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Not yet.

Q. But soon? Before your next match?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Maybe. Maybe.

Q. So you want to talk about playing Caroline? Last time you played her was two years ago here and you had to retire, and then I think before that Tokyo 2010. So it's been a long time, no?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, but she didn't win yet.

Q. I will ask you about Petrova after.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Oh, okay. I haven't played Caroline, as you said, in a while. And not that our games have changed tremendously, but over these last two years a lot of things happened. A lot.
But I think she's a terrific player, you know. She knows how to play big matches and she knows to bring the A game when it's needed. If I play her, it will be definitely an interesting challenge. I will never look back into any of our previous matches. I will never look back into any previous opponent.
That's not only particular to her, but we'll see.

Q. In a sense, though, when you're playing someone you have to know their strengths and weaknesses, no?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: You know, of course you do. I think we know each other pretty well by now, and it's not like it's going to be a huge surprise out there for either one of us.

Q. Can you talk about Petrova?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think that is a very dangerous opponent because sometimes she can play absolutely incredible; sometimes she doesn't play that well. Against me she always play incredible, so I don't expect anything less than from her.
I expect her to come out, if she wins, firing her shots with a big serve, with big, heavy groundstrokes.
So either player who is going to be out there is going to be very different style of game, but is going to be both tough matches.
Quarterfinals is never easy.

Q. I remember when you two were coming up. You and Caroline used to play some doubles and stuff. Would you you say you two are still pretty close? How is your relationship with Caroline these days?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Our relationship is fine. I mean, we don't maybe hang out as much. She's busy. She has a boyfriend, you know, and I'm busy, too.
But, you know, the hanging out part a little bit shifted, but I still consider her as a very good friend of mine. You know, I see her all the time when I'm in Monaco, and that's it. I really like her as a girl.

Q. Do you ever practice together?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't really practice with many people. I like to hit with my coach because he can never beat me. (Laughter.)
Q.You have had your share of physical issues like any top player through the years. How much satisfaction do you take out of getting through matches like this when your body is not necessarily 100% or doing what you want it to do?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It just gives you a little bit of, you know, pleasure in a way, because when you are feeling great and everything is there, it makes it ‑‑it makes it easier. It makes it sometimes a little bit boring, but ‑ not boring in the way that it's boring to play ‑ but you kind of expect to win when you play well.
But when you have issues, when you don't play well and you can win still, that's what excites most players because you find a way to win matches.
Doesn't matter how is it pretty, its not pretty. As long as it's a W next to my name, I'm happy with it.

Q. Going back to Caroline, when play her, what are the particular challenges that she offers? Is it her consistency? Is it her placement? Her movement?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think she's very consistent player and she reads the game well, anticipates a lot of shots, and, you know, I don't ever really try to focus on my opponent's game.
I try to focus on what I have to do and execute my shots. And whatever comes at me, I'm going to deal with what I have to do next. So I don't try to adapt. I just try to apply my game.

Q. How much better are you than two years ago here?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Matt, you judge me all the time. I'll leave it to you.

Q. How about if you answer. How much better do you think you are?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't know. I hope I'm better. From 1 to 10?

Q. Percentage. Clearly you have gone to No. 1. You have won two slams.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Maybe 50%.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports
__________________
Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Natural Joe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #642
country flag ozza
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,488
ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

The last question is . How on earth are you meant to put a percentage on your improvement? It's all subjective.
ozza is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #643
country flag Natural Joe
Senior Member
 
Natural Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In The Lost Woods
Posts: 12,416
Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

PC

Quote:
BNP PARIBAS OPEN

March 14, 2013

Victoria Azarenka

INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

THE MODERATOR: Victoria has had to withdraw from the tournament due to a right ankle injury.

Q. At what point did you know you could not play today?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: On my warmup today. I tested it out as much as possible. I tried absolutely everything I could to do, but I have been advised by the doctor, by my own team, that it's just a very, very high risk already.
I mean, it's already really painful, but it's very high risk to make it much worse.

Q. Are you able to just to tell us exactly what they're saying what it is at the moment, or is it pretty complex?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, in medical term, it's a right‑foot injury, and there is a big inflammation in both ‑‑and tendinitis. Around tendinitis, there is a big inflammation which keeps bothering one part or another, I mean, it cannot get better with me playing on it, especially playing last three matches on it.
It's just worse. I tried not to practice yesterday, and to see if it will settle down at least a little bit. I felt yesterday was better, not walking in my tennis shoes.
But today, once I started doing the exercise, that was it.

Q. Is it a constant ache or throb or what sort of pain is it? Is it when you put your shoes on or when does it really get worse?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It gets worse ‑‑everything. To push off, to step on it, walking necessarily is okay, especially in the soft shoe.
But really the action of moving it and putting pressure on it, that's where it hurts. I heard a few players have these problems here, had this problem.
And, I mean, I came with the problem before the tournament. So it just didn't progress in the better way throughout the whole tournament.

Q. When did you first feel it?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: When?

Q. Yeah, when did the first feeling...
VICTORIA AZARENKA: This particular pain was before the tournament, like a week before. I don't know the date, but the week before I even came to NewYork to play exhibition.

Q. How frustrated are you by it, Victoria?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Very disappointed. Extremely disappointed, because I feel I'm playing really well right now. I was so excited to be playing here. I love this tournament.
You know, to be in the quarterfinals is nothing that can be less frustrating playing.
But I have to think a little bit in the long term. I'm going to be back here next year to play, and I'll be as excited again. But I am very disappointed.

Q. By the very nature of the tour, a large percentage of tournaments now are played on hard courts. Rafael Nadal has said many times that long term we are going to suffer the consequences of playing so much hard court tennis. I know it's a long and involved discussion at the moment, but do you tend to agree with that, that we perhaps need to look at the percentage balance of the tournaments played on hard and those played on grass?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think it's a great option to look at it. I don't know if the percentage ratio of playing on clay or grass, but maybe there could be some adjustments to some hard courts. I think everywhere you go the hardcourts are different. There is like Rebound Ace what we have in Australia, which is a little bit different than what we have here and a little bit different than in Miami.
I also think that the game becomes so much more physical that obviously playing so many matches on hardcourt, and with a schedule it makes it tougher then.
So I'm sure over next few months, next year, there will be some maybe adjustments, maybe just some suggestions to see that.
But me, as a player, I'm open up to see what we can do.

Q. Is it too early to determine how much time you need off at the moment? I'm assuming you you're still planning on playing Miami.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I am planning on that. We'll see how it goes. I mean, it's really difficult to predict how it's going to go. The doctor said it might heal quick ‑‑the pain might go down quickly because of the inflammation going down, but the healing process is a little bit unknown.
So that's frustrating for me as a player, not knowing. You know, sometimes you think, Okay, well, I rest three days and I'm going to be fine with it.
But when you don't know the healing process it's a little bit frustrating. But we'll see how it goes. Take it day by day. I'm going to give my 200% to do everything I can for treatment and just be focused on that. That's going to be my priority to get ready.

Q. As far as treatment is concerned, is it a matter of just raising it, you know, resting it? Are you having to tape it? Is it ice? Splint? What do you need done?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Rest, I heard that word yesterday already from after my MRI, and that was the first option. Then of course you do the mobility, the ice, all these things that can help to heal, to get the inflammation. But the key word was "rest."
I heard it yesterday. I didn't want to hear it, but that's the fact.

Q. Where are you going now? Are you going to stay here or go somewhere else? Miami? Where are you going to try to heal your ankle?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I'm going to LA, back, and, you know, I have my physio with me. We are going to see a doctor to just make sure.
I'm going to go to Miami probably on Sunday, so we'll see.

Q. Was yesterday's MRI the first you had on the ankle since the pain first emerged?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yes.

Q. That revealed the main problem?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, it did. I was hoping it was going to be better, but that's what it is.

Q. On the bright side, your voice is less husky. That's improving.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: (Smiling) Well, I can say something positive today, right?
No, but, yeah, there has been a lot of things going on this week, but I'm still looking forward to my next week to see how I can recover from that and take it from there. This thing just can make you stronger.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports
__________________
Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Natural Joe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #644
country flag Natural Joe
Senior Member
 
Natural Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In The Lost Woods
Posts: 12,416
Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

..

Quote:
MUTUA MADRID OPEN

May 3, 2013

Victoria Azarenka

MADRID, SPAIN

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Welcome back. How are you feeling after so long off?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Feel good. I'm really glad to be back playing, and can't wait to start the tournament and see where my game is at.
You know, it's a very good place to start. It's a very competitive field right away, so I'm glad to be a part of it. It's a great preparation for the French Open.

Q. Obviously there was a lot talk about the clay last year. What are your thoughts on it now? Is it better now that it's red?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, it's red, yeah, and it seems different. I came a little bit early to get ready, to feel the surface, and I think it's in a great condition.
Time to play some tennis out there.

Q. I would like to know if you are happy about the way you're practicing these days?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't think I'm ever happy with the way I practice because I always try to do better. But, I mean, I'm pretty happy overall, but it's good to have the mentality to try to improve every day.
Then we'll see. Practice is one thing. For me, it's important how I feel during the matches. So that's important to start, and kind of build up from there.

Q. Is there something you are working on specifically in your practicing?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I always work on all of my aspects of the game. But clay definitely requires some special movement with the sliding, with the longer rallies, build up the point a little bit, try to be patient and work the court.
So those little details, little adjustments, you always have to take into consideration.

Q. Can I ask if you've got any special goals this year, or are you just taking each month bit by bit?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: The goals are always wherever you go try to win the most you can. The big push is always the Grand Slams, but we have so many high‑level tournaments, so many great tournaments to p.
Clay is always a little bit more challenging for me as in the past, so it's my main priority right now.
That's what I'm looking forward to.

Q. How do you face your play with the new courts?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: New courts?

Q. Yeah.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Oh, I think I prefer them better than last year. I think they're adjusted really well. The clay is red, so we'll see how it goes during the matches.
During the practice, as I said, I came a little bit early to make sure I feel the surface, and it's pretty good.

Q. The other day I saw an ad of you and it said something like the aim is just to hit the ball hard. Does that annoy you because that's obviously not your game? You have much more to your game than that.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: What?

Q. There was an ad with you in it and it said, The goal is just to hit the ball as hard as possible.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think it was a joke. (Laughter.)

Q. Just in general people tend to rag on women's tennis saying they just hit the ball hard. Does that in general annoy you?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't think so. We do try to hit it hard, but that's not all we do. But there are just the style of few girls who have been showing some consistent result is the style of play, trying to be aggressive, so in one way you can see that, but I think there is so much more to women's game than just hitting hard.

Q. If it's possible, this is a question nothing to do with tennis.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Okay.

Q. Don't worry. Which is your greatest fear? Spiders? The dark?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Oh, dark. I hate spiders; I don't like dark, and I don't like snakes, any of those creatures.
Heights. Thank you. Heights, yeah. So, yeah, I'm a regular person. I have some fears.

Q. The worst?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: The worst? Yeah, probably spiders and snakes. One time I saw a spider on my wall and I just started to freak out. (Laughter.)

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports
__________________
Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Natural Joe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #645
country flag ozza
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,488
ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

Quote:
Q. The other day I saw an ad of you and it said something like the aim is just to hit the ball hard. Does that annoy you because that's obviously not your game? You have much more to your game than that.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: What?

Q. There was an ad with you in it and it said, The goal is just to hit the ball as hard as possible.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think it was a joke. (Laughter.)
ozza is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios