Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 141 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 26th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #2101
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jack* View Post
I think that if somebody like Serena can be popular no. 1, Petra could be the best in this aspect, I mean, just find some real downside about her (let's ignore that inconsistency thing because if she become no. 1 once, she will have to overcome this).
Agreed.

Sometimes, TF has too much Fanboy/Girl-ism, and lacks common sense, like your example with Serena (though to be fair, Serena CERTAINLY has her built in reasons for her outstanding fame and popularity as well). Everyone doesn't have to like her (or how she looks), for her to be transcendent in the game, which she is.

Petra would/could do it in both a similar, as well as different way.

I'll leave it at. Petra needs to win more matches first.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 26th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #2102
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jack* View Post
I know what you mean and I have to agree with you, it's more exciting if she plays like that and some say that if you don't serve DFs or aces on 2nd serve, you're not playing at your highest level of play - basically, if you're not risking, you're not going to get a win against the best players. And it's great that Petra can accept that risk and win those matches. But you must consider the fact that you're playing this style of play, you're much more exposed to be inconsistent than if you would use 'a plan B'. And I can reconcile that Petra will sometimes play more safely and will make it to the final and than get her chance and play her play rather than not make it to the big match at all and won't get the chance.
If by playing it safe you mean not going for shots 1mm on the line but like an inch inside then i agree she should do that especially at early rounds. Petra is BB, no need to pretend like she isn't, also i feel when Petra tries to do something that is not natural to her i.e running alot she starts to play worse, gets rattled but when she plays her instinctive game it's bring alot of confidence into her, she has less errors and opponent can't much about it. She needs to use full force of attacking tennis but more wisely, sometimes be little patient
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #2103
country flag *Jack*

*Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
If by playing it safe you mean not going for shots 1mm on the line but like an inch inside then i agree she should do that especially at early rounds. Petra is BB, no need to pretend like she isn't, also i feel when Petra tries to do something that is not natural to her i.e running a lot she starts to play worse, gets rattled but when she plays her instinctive game it's bring a lot of confidence into her, she has less errors and opponent can't much about it. She needs to use full force of attacking tennis but more wisely, sometimes be little patient
I absolutely agree with you! We could clearly see the contrast between 1st, 2nd and 3rd set of her last final. In 1st set she could hit almost every shot on the line, while in 2nd set she was nervous and started to miss her dangerous shot though she could use more safer but still offensive shots you've mentioned (with help of more top spin for example) and thereby reduce number of UE. 3rd set gave us a chance to see either more safer shots (offensive but safely in the court) and high risk aggressive play and it was kind of working side by side, though.
I like when commentators talk about using depth and placement and Petra is using them wisely.
*Jack* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #2104
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
I know

BTW, was it you or Exelscior who posted these comments on tennis.com ?

I love Kvitova!!!!
I sure hope she can win more Slams
We need a humble, shy, sweet champion for awhile!!!!

Wow! Just Wow! Rarely have I seen a match where I wish that each player could walk away with the winners trophy. This is one on them. I simply adore everything about Petra's game and her personality. Whenever the Ms Williams retire, I will be free to support her completely.

I've always thought Petra Kvitova is the real deal in women's tennis. When she is on, only Serena can stop her. However, she needs to be be more consistent. her erratic game lets her down quite often. She has a beautiful forehand on the line and powerful backhand and serve; She also has a nice slice backhand and she's always willing to go to the net. Nevertheless, what I love the most about her is her personality. Unlike Azarenka or Serena, she is so humble, and rarely show emotions on the court. If she ever becomes a number one, I think she would be one of the most charismatic number ones ever. I also enjoy how fluid her game is, how effortless she produces her nice shots, kind of like Mona Barthel is -to me, the biggest underacheiver on tour now- Anyway, I hope Kvitova's momentum continues in the USA swing and hopefully we can see her dominating again the way she did in Wimbledon a couple of years ago. And the best thing of having Kvitova on top women's game is that she is not a grunter! yay! as great as they are, I cannot stand stand Masha and Azarenka grunts they give me headaches.
Not me .... but it sure sounds similar to me
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #2105

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
No!!

And we already saw/know how Anabel kept raving on, losing her mind about Petra.
David Mercer, who commentates with Anabel, loves Petra too. All I heard him saying through the whole tournament was "unbelievable, oh my lawd, ridiculous, amazing" etc, etc
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #2106
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetraReeMona View Post
David Mercer, who commentates with Anabel, loves Petra too. All I heard him saying through the whole tournament was "unbelievable, oh my lawd, ridiculous, amazing" etc, etc
I like this man's voice. Very pleasant to listen to. And I was pleasantly surprised that during one of Petra's matches at last year's Aussie Open he mentioned Jaroslav Drobny as one of Petra's great left-handed predecessors. Drobny was incredible, not only that he won Wimbledon and two French Opens, but he was also the world-champion in ice-hockey, scoring a hat-trick in the decisive match against the US to clinch the title

Thanks to David Mercer, I checked Drobny's wikipedia entry and I was blown away

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaroslav_Drobn%C3%BD
Petronius is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
I like this man's voice. Very pleasant to listen to. And I was pleasantly surprised that during one of Petra's matches at last year's Aussie Open he mentioned Jaroslav Drobny as one of Petra's great predecessors. Drobny was incredible, not only that he won Wimbledon and two French Opens, but he was also the world-champion in ice-hockey, scoring a hat-trick in the decisive match against the US to clinch the title

Thanks to David Mercer, I checked Drobny's wikipedia entry and I was blown away

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaroslav_Drobn%C3%BD
I love David Mercer - a typical English gent. He used to be an umpire.

I've met him a couple of times at breakfast when I used to stay in the same hotel as the players and commentators ... a very, very nice man
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #2108
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I've met him a couple of times at breakfast when I used to stay in the same hotel as the players and commentators ... a very, very nice man
That's what I thought, thanks for confirmation.
Petronius is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #2109
country flag ArcticMoose

ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

mmmmm....so smoothie Mercer got your number & took you on a few dates and you ended up having breakfast together....
ArcticMoose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMoose View Post
mmmmm....so smoothie Mercer got your number & took you on a few dates and you ended up having breakfast together....
Erm .... not quite. He's old enough to be my father , but if he asked me out on a date, I would go cuz he's very interesting and, as I said... a lovely man, but ........ I don't think his wife would approve
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #2111
country flag ArcticMoose

ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Erm .... not quite. He's old enough to be my father , but if he asked me out on a date, I would go cuz he's very interesting and, as I said... a lovely man, but ........ I don't think his wife would approve
Knowing how single-minded you are ... I am sure it has never stopped you before....
ArcticMoose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMoose View Post
Knowing how single-minded you are ... I am sure it has never stopped you before....
True
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #2113
country flag TennisAddict84

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Agreed.

Usually, you see Petra lob after her drop shots though. Maybe she needs to work on this aspect (Petra on the defense/a net rusher, especially a shorter one), and/or, she's hopefully more cognizant of it now?

With Pag's not mentioning Petra's rallying: I guess even he's, gotta keep some blatant Petra 'Wild Child' stereotyping in there, for good measure?
I feel like Petra's never really had a good lob...more often times than not, i always see her hitting that shot out...so that's the one shot she should really start developing and work to her advantage
TennisAddict84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #2114
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Have never heard her mention it...nor does she play many Internationals,obviously,but....If Petra DOES consider playing "Koala Dung-Pure" next year,can we all agree to try to talk her out of it?That is,if the WTA hasn't wised up and revoked their tourney-hosting privileges before then....What a comprehensive Assclown Circus that event is

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #2115
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

I believe, no one posted this here.

Steve Flink: Kvitova Reignited
Quote:
Petra Kvitova can be both exhilarating and exasperating. She is an enigma in many ways, an immensely gifted player with a propensity to take control of almost any match she plays, a prodigious shotmaker who can effortlessly release winners off both sides richly and abundantly from any part of the court. She is a dazzling left-hander who leaves opponents befuddled by making improbable shots routinely, and yet this woman can also commit abysmal unforced errors with alarming regularity. She can be her own worst enemy, or an unstoppable force who doesn’t care who happens to be standing on the other side of the net. Kvitova is unexplainable, and that makes her a singularly fascinating performer in the world of women’s tennis.

A few days ago, Kvitova secured her first singles title of the young 2013 campaign, taking the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships with impressive wins over Daniela Hantuchova, Ana Ivanovic, Agnieszka Radwanska, Caroline Wozniacki and Sara Errani. Kvitova played the kind of tennis her most fervent boosters wish she could replicate almost all of the time. She controlled her destiny every time she stepped on the court, left her adversaries bewildered and fundamentally helpless, kept her composure nearly every step of the way. The previous week in Doha, Qatar, Kvitova had pushed Serena Williams to the hilt in a stirring quarterfinal contest, building a 4-1 third set lead before the American battled back gamely and tenaciously to win. Clearly and irrefutably, Kvitova is moving in the right direction, and the women’s game is better for it.

In the Dubai final against Errani, Kvitova was primed for her appointment against the versatile Italian. In the early stages of this showdown, Kvitova was striking the ball majestically. Her timing was exemplary, her confidence was soaring, and the ball was flying off her racket with extraordinary pace and precision. It was a pleasure to watch her play with such verve and uninhibited brilliance. Kvitova broke Errani at love in the first game of the match, opening that chapter with an inside-out overhead winner, closing it with a barrage of big shots that led to an inside-out forehand winner. She held at 30 for 2-0, winning all four of her points with clean winners off the forehand side.

The pattern continued. On her way to 15-40 in the third game, Kvitova produced two more winners. An understandably shaken Errani double faulted, and Kvitova had the insurance break for 3-0. She had won 12 of 15 points to establish her comfortable lead. Although Kvitova was taken to deuce in the fourth game, she moved to 4-0 with a backhand winner driven impeccably down the line. Errani managed to take the next two games. But Kvitova played another spectacular game to break for at 15 for 5-2, cracking four outright winners, two off the forehand and a pair off the backhand. Although Kvitova struggled on serve in the eighth game, she held on her fourth set point to seal the set 6-2.

When Kvitova broke Errani in the opening game of the second set, a rout seemed entirely possible. But the sprightly Italian began altering her game sweepingly, and her new strategic framework was highly effective,catching Kvitova considerably off guard. Errani looked for her every opportunity to attack, and did so remarkably well. Errani’s flexibility was admirable, and a reflection of her status as one of the world’s best doubles players. Her technique on the volley is terrific. After breaking back for 1-1 in that second set, Errani held at love for 2-1. With Kvitova serving at 30-15 in the fourth game, Errani adroitly took the net away from her opponent with a well-played lob, and then came forward to make a sparkling backhand drop volley winner.

Kvitova battled on, saved a break point at 30-40, but then Errani approached behind a return of serve to provoke Kvitova into an errant backhand passing shot long. Kvitova was briefly rattled, serving her sixth double fault of the match to fall behind 3-1. Errani held quickly at 15 for 4-1.With Kvitova serving at 15-40 in the following game, Errani followed her return in, and then put away an overhead to make it 5-1 in her favor. At 30-30 in the seventh game, Errani served-and-volleyed, setting up a backhand volley winner. She sealed the set 6-1. Errani had lost all three of her previous contests with Kvitova in straight sets, but now at last she had snapped that streak, giving herself a fighting chance.

The pivotal game of the match occurred at 1-1 in the third and final set. Kvitova had already danced out of some danger in the opening game, saving a break point. But now, in the third game, with Errani building momentum steadily, the emotional lefty fell behind 0-40. She could hardly have displayed more poise and professionalism than she did at this critical juncture. Kvitova released a service winner wide to the backhand for 15-40,then sent another excellent first serve up the T to set up a forehand winner for 30-40, and made it back to deuce with a trademark inside-out forehand winner off an awkward high ball. Kvitova held on for 2-1 by sweeping five points in a row, missing only one first serve in that span.

Errani moved to 40-15 in the next game, but Kvitova swept three consecutive points. It was break point for the 22-year-old from the Czech Republic. Errani had come this far by changing her tactics and approaching the net persistently, so she stuck with that plan. But Kvitova was ready. Errani served-and-volleyed but Kvitova rolled a forehand return crosscourt for a winner past the charging Italian. It was not the cleanest shot Kvitova played all day, but it was the most important. She had the break for 3-1 in the third set, and never looked back. Holding at love for 4-1, she produced four more winners, two off the forehand and two on her two-handed side.

There was no stopping Kvitova. Errani fought through two deuces in the sixth game, but Kvitova was relentlessly aggressive, attaining the break for 5-1 with a winning forehand down the line on the edge of the sideline. She held at love to win convincingly 6-2, 1-6, 6-1. The final statistics are very revealing. Kvitova had 46 winners and 36 unforced errors,while Errani made only ten unforced mistakes and hit eleven winners. This was Kvitova’s tenth triumph in twelve career tournament finals, which proves that she is awfully tough to beat under those circumstances. Only a first rate, big match player wins so many final round contests. Her problem, of course, is avoiding early round losses, defeats she could probably avoid, setbacks of her own making. Perhaps over the next few years, this sporadically brilliant player will find a level of consistency she has lacked thus far.

And yet, the fact remains that Kvitova has been in the upper reaches of her sport for quite a while now. In 2011, she concluded the season as the No. 2 ranked player in the world, surpassed only by Wozniacki. That year, she appeared in her first and only Grand Slam tournament final, facing the estimable Maria Sharapova on the Centre Court of Wimbledon. Calmly, methodically, often spectacularly, Kvitova took apart Sharapova in straight sets to win the game’s preeminent prize at 21. In 2012, Kvitova had a surprisingly stable run at the majors, reaching the semifinals of the Australian Open and Roland Garros, the quarterfinals of Wimbledon and the round of 16 at the U.S. Open. But her results elsewhere were not terribly impressive, and she finished the year at No. 8 in the world.

That is too low for a player of her talent. Kvitova has moved to No. 7 after her tournament victory in Dubai, her first since New Haven last summer. The hope here is that she will do herself justice over the course of 2013 and beyond, and return where she belongs to the top five. To be sure, the three players who reside at the top of the rankings will be hard for Kvitova to overcome on a regular basis. Serena Williams, Azarenka and Sharapova are a trio of champions who are all playing the best tennis of their lives. But the players who are stationed just above Kvitova are competitors she ought to be able to surpass.

Kvitova handled world No. 4 Radwanska with ease in Dubai, and at her best she is a better player than the elegant Polish defensive stylist. Li Na is currently No. 5, and the beguiling Chinese player is a resurgent competitor as she moves toward her 31st birthday on Tuesday. But the view here is that Kvitova can move past Li later this year. Meanwhile, Angelique Kerber stands at No. 6. The German left-hander is clearly not the same player now that she was a year ago.

Kvitova did not start this season auspiciously. In her first five tournaments leading up to Dubai, she did not make it beyond the quarterfinals. She fell in the second round of the Australian Open in a hard fought encounter against Laura Robson. But her mindset has changed lately, and her game is coming around magnificently. The one area of concern for Kvitova must be her serve. She double faults far too often, and needs to become more reliable on her delivery if she wants to overcome the leading players in her profession.

But her ground game is so devastatingly potent that Kvitova seems destined to move back among the top five. She can make a serious run again at a major this year, perhaps at Wimbledon, if not at the U.S. Open. For too long now, she has been wildly unpredictable and infuriating, wasting her great gift for this game, squandering opportunities across the board. The next couple of years are crucial for Petra Kvitova, but the feeling grows that she is closing in on the finest tennis of her career.
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote