Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 140 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 26th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #2086
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
I think Shifty has mentioned this somewhere that Petra even came on top in rallies versus Wozniacki

BTW, Pagliaro made a very good point that Petra could have used more lobs when Errani rushed the net, considering the Italian's height
Agreed.

Usually, you see Petra lob after her drop shots though. Maybe she needs to work on this aspect (Petra on the defense/a net rusher, especially a shorter one), and/or, she's hopefully more cognizant of it now?

With Pag's not mentioning Petra's rallying: I guess even he's, gotta keep some blatant Petra 'Wild Child' stereotyping in there, for good measure?
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 26th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #2087
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

You gotta love those sport writers, created hype out of nothing Took bunch of quotes added fluff and voila you have in-depth analyses article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Agreed.

Usually, you see Petra lob after her drop shots though. Maybe she needs to work on this aspect (Petra on the defense/a net rusher, especially a shorter one), and/or, she's hopefully more cognizant of it now?

With Pag's not mentioning Petra's rallying: I guess even he's, gotta keep some blatant Petra 'Wild Child' stereotyping in there, for good measure?
Petra's best defense is her offense, from now on i would never root for her to 'hold back' just to win some points, she should be more aggressive
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #2088
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

A blog post on Petra's win:

http://womenwhoserve.blogspot.com.au...0th-title.html
Petronius is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #2089
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Comments are way better then post itself
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #2090
country flag *Jack*

*Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
You gotta love those sport writers, created hype out of nothing Took bunch of quotes added fluff and voila you have in-depth analyses article
Petra's best defense is her offense, from now on i would never root for her to 'hold back' just to win some points, she should be more aggressive
I think that it's very good for her, that she can win some points over a pusher without aggressive play. First advantage is that it can boost Petra's confidence and second that she has some plan B while a plan A (aggressive attacking play) is failing. Something that for example Djokovic uses very effectively although he plays offensive mainly against defensive type of players like Ferrer. I'm glad that Petra also starts to play more smartly and is not just attacking whether it's working or not.
*Jack* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #2091
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know

BTW, was it you or Exelscior who posted these comments on tennis.com ?

I love Kvitova!!!!
I sure hope she can win more Slams
We need a humble, shy, sweet champion for awhile!!!!

Wow! Just Wow! Rarely have I seen a match where I wish that each player could walk away with the winners trophy. This is one on them. I simply adore everything about Petra's game and her personality. Whenever the Ms Williams retire, I will be free to support her completely.

I've always thought Petra Kvitova is the real deal in women's tennis. When she is on, only Serena can stop her. However, she needs to be be more consistent. her erratic game lets her down quite often. She has a beautiful forehand on the line and powerful backhand and serve; She also has a nice slice backhand and she's always willing to go to the net. Nevertheless, what I love the most about her is her personality. Unlike Azarenka or Serena, she is so humble, and rarely show emotions on the court. If she ever becomes a number one, I think she would be one of the most charismatic number ones ever. I also enjoy how fluid her game is, how effortless she produces her nice shots, kind of like Mona Barthel is -to me, the biggest underacheiver on tour now- Anyway, I hope Kvitova's momentum continues in the USA swing and hopefully we can see her dominating again the way she did in Wimbledon a couple of years ago. And the best thing of having Kvitova on top women's game is that she is not a grunter! yay! as great as they are, I cannot stand stand Masha and Azarenka grunts they give me headaches.
Petronius is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #2092
country flag *Jack*

*Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I've always thought Petra Kvitova is the real deal in women's tennis. When she is on, only Serena can stop her. However, she needs to be be more consistent. her erratic game lets her down quite often. She has a beautiful forehand on the line and powerful backhand and serve; She also has a nice slice backhand and she's always willing to go to the net. Nevertheless, what I love the most about her is her personality. Unlike Azarenka or Serena, she is so humble, and rarely show emotions on the court. If she ever becomes a number one, I think she would be one of the most charismatic number ones ever. I also enjoy how fluid her game is, how effortless she produces her nice shots, kind of like Mona Barthel is -to me, the biggest underacheiver on tour now- Anyway, I hope Kvitova's momentum continues in the USA swing and hopefully we can see her dominating again the way she did in Wimbledon a couple of years ago. And the best thing of having Kvitova on top women's game is that she is not a grunter! yay! as great as they are, I cannot stand stand Masha and Azarenka grunts they give me headaches.
Great comment, can't disagree with anything he said.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #2093
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not surprised by the comments on Kotyza for several reasons:

1) Diane (who runs that website) is/was a big fan of Petra in 2011. I'm sure she was quite disappointed and silent in 2012. So they should know and follow Petra, as well as anyone.

There was some good analysis, particularly on her forehand positioning.

2)I had already mentioned previously, how Kotyza had basically made Serena seem like a god (even when she wasn't playing well and Petra WAS), so it doesn't surprise me he didn't offer an encouragement for Petra vs Serena at that moment. I didn't know, even notice/hear that, until just now. In fairness: He may have been trying to relax her/make Petra laugh. Either way, I'm not surprised.

3) I've said many times, that 'Kotyza is good for teaching Petra tennis shots, and maybe relaxing her'. However, I feel he's a mediocre game strategist (especially against tough, repeated competition), and overall/long term goal setter, for a potential multi-slam young champion. It appears, Petra basically coaches herself, and he tries to relax her and/or offer observations--when he is present, needed during matches.

4) During 2012 Aussie Open, Kotyza had 2011 Wimbledon's game plan vs Sharpie (it was in pre-game articles), then didn't adjust--on the even slower clay of Stuttgart and Roland Garros later in the year.

Note: Nice to hear the comments regarding Petra's forehand and Serena's comments on Petra by some the people on that site.

I didn't even hear Serena's comments, cause I turned the set/computer off, before the Umpire announced "Game Set Match, Serena Williams". Lol

I'm not going to get into some of the other comments, like Serena and Vika pulling out of Doha (probably a joke, but a vaguely plausible scenario), to avoid a potentially hot Petra.

Last edited by Excelscior : Feb 26th, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #2094
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
I know

I love Kvitova!!!!
I sure hope she can win more Slams
We need a humble, shy, sweet champion for awhile!!!!

Wow! Just Wow! Rarely have I seen a match where I wish that each player could walk away with the winners trophy. This is one on them. I simply adore everything about Petra's game and her personality. Whenever the Ms Williams retire, I will be free to support her completely.

No!!

I didn't post on any of those sites.

There's more Petra fans out there than you think.

Some of them just needed a reason to appear again!

Were those your comments Jack quoted, Petronius? Or were they comments that you reproduced from "Women Who Serve" or tennis.com.

PS to Jack and Petronius): The Eurosport announcers, were saying, when Petra's at full flight, even Serena can't stop her. I know at other times they said she can challenge them. However, at other times, they were saying 'no one can stop the onslaught', especially the male broadcasters.

And we already saw/know how Anabel kept raving on, losing her mind about Petra.

That's why this crap that the delusional Masha and Vika haters throw out there sometimes (especially the Masha ones), about Petra not being a popular #1 if she was, is all BS.

Petra would have both the support of the press, tennis cognoscenti (who helps shape the press opinions), and the fans, for her exciting game and humble, effervescent personality. And if she didn't have all of them: One or two, would push the other, to affect their opinion. I had already witnessed readers commenting on Steve Tignor's Petra articles, change his mind regarding Petra's ability to volley. He didn't know, realize that, even in 2011.

But I'm getting waaaaaaay ahead of myself (even though that's not my intention), and will stop here!
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #2095
country flag Excelscior

PS: Petronius

I find it ironic, that on some other sites, Petra WAS rightfully acknowledged--along with Serena during the match, on some of the other sites you referenced. Meanwhile, here on TF; a select group of many longtime Serena fans, were just hell bent on trying to prove 'she deserved to win the match and Petra didn't blow it', etc.

I didn't even know Serena made those nice comments about Petra--after the match (though I'm not surprised, cause Serena was very complimentary of Petra after 2010 Wimby, and her mother--Oracene, called Petra "The Future of Women's Tennis in 2010 or early 2011).

I just heard a bunch of Serena wannabees, saying, trying to prove Serena's superiority, inter-dispersed with people who supported both, one or the other, be complimentary and feel sorry for Petra, etc.

Funny/Ironic!!
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #2096
country flag ShiftyFella

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jack* View Post
I think that it's very good for her, that she can win some points over a pusher without aggressive play. First advantage is that it can boost Petra's confidence and second that she has some plan B while a plan A (aggressive attacking play) is failing. Something that for example Djokovic uses very effectively although he plays offensive mainly against defensive type of players like Ferrer. I'm glad that Petra also starts to play more smartly and is not just attacking whether it's working or not.
I was thinking the same thing about plan B but making 'winners video' fully converted to me tactic 'just impose your game on your opponent', half of those shot would not be possible if not for her aggressive game, it would not be Petra we love and adore for her game. Seriously, find my another player who decides to hit deep 170kph 2nd serve on break point? Petra made 3/4 of those shots on her way to Dubai title and that's why we love her game, some of them she missed and only in Errani's match most DF were at crucial moments i.e made match look worse than it was. If she played it safe her matches would have been less entertaining and not as much breathtaking(at one point in 3rd set vs Sara, Petra hit 10 straight winners and won 11 out of 12 points in three consecutive service games). Petra doesn't need plan B, she needs to be more aggressive, better use variety she possesses, also calibrate her gun more accurately in order to miss less easy shots.

Quote:
I know

I don't even read tennis.com, i only read articles that posted on TF, if it's not here then it's not worth reading
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #2097
country flag *Jack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
That's why this crap that the delusional Masha and Vika haters throw out there sometimes (especially the Masha ones), about Petra not being a popular #1 if she was, is all BS.

Petra would have both the support of the press, tennis cognoscenti (who helps shape the press opinions), and the fans, for her exciting game and humble, effervescent personality. And if she didn't have all of them: One or two, would push the other, to affect their opinion. I had already witnessed readers commenting on Steve Tignor's Petra articles, change his mind regarding Petra's ability to volley. He didn't know, realize that, even in 2011.
I think that if somebody like Serena can be popular no. 1, Petra could be the best in this aspect, I mean, just find some real downside about her (let's ignore that inconsistency thing because if she become no. 1 once, she will have to overcome this).

Last edited by *Jack* : Feb 26th, 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #2098
country flag Excelscior

Quote:

That's sure one way to look at it!!
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #2099
country flag *Jack*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jack*
I was thinking the same thing about plan B but making 'winners video' fully converted to me tactic 'just impose your game on your opponent', half of those shot would not be possible if not for her aggressive game, it would not be Petra we love and adore for her game. Seriously, find my another player who decides to hit deep 170kph 2nd serve on break point? Petra made 3/4 of those shots on her way to Dubai title and that's why we love her game, some of them she missed and only in Errani's match most DF were at crucial moments i.e made match look worse than it was. If she played it safe her matches would have been less entertaining and not as much breathtaking(at one point in 3rd set vs Sara, Petra hit 10 straight winners and won 11 out of 12 points in three consecutive service games). Petra doesn't need plan B, she needs to be more aggressive, better use variety she possesses, also calibrate her gun more accurately in order to miss less easy shots.
I know what you mean and I have to agree with you, it's more exciting if she plays like that and some say that if you don't serve DFs or aces on 2nd serve, you're not playing at your highest level of play - basically, if you're not risking, you're not going to get a win against the best players. And it's great that Petra can accept that risk and win those matches. But you must consider the fact that you're playing this style of play, you're much more exposed to be inconsistent than if you would use 'a plan B'. And I can reconcile that Petra will sometimes play more safely and will make it to the final and than get her chance and play her play rather than not make it to the big match at all and won't get the chance.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #2100
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
I don't even read tennis.com, i only read articles that posted on TF, if it's not here then it's not worth reading
I guess I felt the same way at the time to. I didn't even consider/think about going on any sites.

However, that probably had to do more with recent conditioning/common sense the past year (why go on additional sites to hear people bash Petra and talk about her under performing, in addition to the TF regulars Hate Brigade)!