Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 139 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 25th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #2071
country flag Palkov

Palkov is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...petra-kvitova/

I like this part: The erratic 2011 Wimbledon winner reminded us how it is she reached No. 2 in the world.....She will move up to No. 7 now. But the truth is, she's simply too good not to inhabit the top five.
Palkov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 25th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #2072
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
I think Pala will sack Andi to put Kookie with Hradecka as doubles pair and if Lucie screws first tie he will put Kookie on 2nd day instead of her, tho maybe he will sack all of them and it will be Errani\Vinci with Petra\Kookie in singles and double I'm more then sure if doubles would be deciding tie Roberta\Sara will be playing just as they were vs US
Yeah, this is really one of those ties where excellent coaching is needed. Lots of tactical and strategical options. Italy has a better doubles pair, so it's necessary to win three singles matches, because the doubles is 60/40 for the Italians. It'll be very tough, but Lepchenko gave me some solid hope.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #2073
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
Yeah, this is really one of those ties where excellent coaching is needed. Lots of tactical and strategical options. Italy has a better doubles pair, so it's necessary to win three singles matches, because the doubles is 60/40 for the Italians. It'll be very tough, but Lepchenko gave me some solid hope.
I hope loosing set to Errani will be motivation to bagel her during FC

btw, since no one posted here, full interview after the Final

Quote:
THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Congratulations. Up‑and‑down match, wasn't it?
PETRA KVITOVA: Oh, yeah. I mean, that's women's tennis (smiling).
No, anyway, it was great final, and I think that Sara played so well. It was really tough to beat her. She came back in the second set. She played really well. She was going for the net a lot, and that was a little bit problem for me.
That was very important to stay positive in the third and still fighting about every point.

Q. You had to fight hard to stop her breaking you in the third, as well. What managed to turn it around in the end?
PETRA KVITOVA: You know, it was ‑‑I remember was 40‑Love, and she missed the return. And then I was going for the balls, and someone from crowd just said, Two aces.
I said, Okay. It's not bad. (Smiling.)
I know the first serve was great. She didn't catch it. But the second, I don't remember very well, but I think it was quite easy, good serve, and that was why I won the game, I think, in the end.

Q. You hit a few double faults tonight. What was going wrong with the serve?
PETRA KVITOVA: Well I had trouble with my shoulder all week and Doha, too. I'm still fighting about.
Yeah, I know that it's a lot of double faults, and it wasn't really good in my mind to thinking about it. But anyway, I mean, I played another top‑10 player. That's okay.

Q. How did you finish so strongly?
PETRA KVITOVA: Well, I know that I have to fight like every ball, because that was something what she was really on fire in the second and she continued in the third.
I was just thinking that I can't give up and just fighting about every point. I think, you know, when it was 2‑1 and she missed the volley on the net that I think was turning point for me.

Q. You must be very happy with how mentally you handled that third set, right? Is it more of a mental thing?
PETRA KVITOVA: Yeah, for sure. I think in the third was really the mental side, because in the second she played so well and I didn't have answer for it.
I was quite down. I mean, I was in the locker room and I was thinking that, really, that I can stay in the positive and just play.

Q. 2011 was obviously an amazing year for you, winning Wimbledon, ending the year World No. 2. Last year it was maybe a little bit harder, slipping in rankings slightly. Do you see this potentially as being the spring board to sort of really challenging the elites?
PETRA KVITOVA: Well, you know, I think that 2011 was really incredible year for me. 2012 I knew that it would be very tough to replay everything what I did in 2011.
I think it was pretty solid year for me, and I had two semifinals in Grand Slams. This year I didn't start pretty well, but I'm glad how I'm playing right now. That's the important thing for me.
I mean, I'm not thinking like this is turning point or turning tournament for me, anyway. It's a lot of great players in the top, and that's hard to beat them.
I'm still thinking about my game. That's the priority for me.

Q. You played three very good movers in a row. Obviously a tough draw. Are you pleased with the fact that you can handle these kind of players? How do you feel you are moving on the court?
PETRA KVITOVA: Well, yeah, I'm really pleased how I played all tournament. Not only last three matches, because against Ana was a little bit different match and she's playing so fast. So I had like a lot of different players in the tournament.
It was great that I handled it quite okay. Yeah, I mean, I beat three girls from the top 10, so that means something. I hope so (smiling).
Yeah, I will try and improve.

Q. Looking ahead, do you think Wimbledon will be your best chance again as a slam this year?
PETRA KVITOVA: Well, I love Wimbledon, so I hope so. I love to play on the grass, and for me Wimbledon is always special. You know, I had great memories, and the feeling what I had after the final in '11 was amazing.
I think that the Wimbledon will be always in my heart as the best tournament of the world. About the chances, I think Serena can play so well on the grass, too. That's not only about her, of course. I mean, Vika and Maria play so well, too. Always can surprise some of the players.
Anyway, I mean, if I am thinking right now, it's not Wimbledon is my priority right now. I mean, I have a few tournaments ahead right now, and that's my priority now.

Q. Can you talk about the organization here, the tournament site, the setting?
PETRA KVITOVA: Well, it was ‑‑I mean, the hotel, it's pretty close and it's so easy. When I played at 7:00 I was until 5:30 in the room and lying in the bed.
So that was really nice. I was just two minutes to on‑site. I think that's very helpful and that's great.
I wasn't here last year, but anyway, this year was, I mean, amazing. The organization, everything was easy.
I mean, the girls in the organization desk was so nice. That was really everything was great.

Q. How did you communicate with your coach this week? Maybe he will have a longer vacation?
PETRA KVITOVA: Not really. That's nice if I'm going alone somewhere. But anyway, it's not good a lot to have it.
He e‑mailed me every day about my next opponent. He knows exactly what I'm feeling if he is not here.
I mean, he was really glad, and I think that for him is great to have a vacation to relax and to be ready for me.

Q. Do you think there is also top 3 or top 4 in women's tennis like in men's tennis? And are you confident you can be part of it this season?
PETRA KVITOVA: Well, I just won one tournament this year yet, and, you know, Serena, Vika Maria, I think that they are really in the high position.
Serena and Vika are really comparing a lot. I saw the final of Doha, and it was really nice match. I can't say that we are like four or five great, great players in the top 10 as in the men. I mean, the men, it's very incredible how they are going there.
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #2074
country flag Palkov

Palkov is an unknown quantity at this point

Some interesting insides about HuggyBear's remote coaching technique (not only)

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/sport/in...n=nationsports
Palkov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #2075
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

I liked that 'Wimbledon is the best tournament in the world'
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #2076
country flag ArcticMoose

ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold

23 February 2013 Last updated at 17:10

Petra Kvitova beats Sara Errani in Dubai Championships final

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21554418
Former Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova won her first WTA title for six months with victory over Italy's Sara Errani at the Dubai Championships.

The Czech, 22, came through 6-2 1-6 6-1 in one hour and 40 minutes to claim the 10th tournament win of her career.

Top seeds Victoria Azarenka and Serena Williams withdrew earlier in the week.

Kvitova, ranked eighth, last won a title in New Haven last August, and Dubai marks her biggest triumph since the 2011 WTA Championships.

"It was up and down, but I can say I was focused and calm, which was important after the second set," she said.

"It was important to stay in the game and to do my best and to be aggressive."

Kvitova's victory was achieved without the presence of her coach David Kotyza, who was on holiday.

"I hope he is happy," she said. "It was something special. I am here alone. Sometimes it is difficult to go on court and think about the game by myself."

Kvitova won the first four games in 15 minutes and the opening set in half an hour as Errani, the world number seven, struggled to cope with her power.

The Italian had lost all three previous meetings against Kvitova in straight sets, but finally ended that sequence to level the final.

A drop volley and a Kvitova double fault helped Errani break in game four and a run of six straight games put her firmly in control with a deciding set looming.

Kvitova took a comfort break between sets and it proved a wise decision as she came through a mini crisis at 0-40 to make it 2-1, and did not lose another game.

"I was quite down," she said of the decision to leave the court after the second set.

"I mean, I was in the locker room and I was thinking that, really, that I must stay positive - and just play."
ArcticMoose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #2077
country flag Petronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMoose View Post
"I was quite down," she said of the decision to leave the court after the second set.

"I mean, I was in the locker room and I was thinking that, really, that I must stay positive - and just play."
It was a very wise decision - perfectly within the rules - to stop Errani's momentum.

Last edited by Petronius : Feb 25th, 2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #2078
country flag Petronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palkov View Post
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...petra-kvitova/

I like this part: The erratic 2011 Wimbledon winner reminded us how it is she reached No. 2 in the world.....She will move up to No. 7 now. But the truth is, she's simply too good not to inhabit the top five.
You should've read the COMMENTS section, too:

Kvitova is talented BUT TOO INCONSISTENT. When Kvitova won Wimbledon in 2011, she predicted to sweep all slams, then went on a long and sad slump...Again when she won the Rogers Cup2012 in Montreal & New HAVEN2012, she was picked to win the US OPEN, then again she went on a torrid slump. Now she's getting hyped again, now watch her go on another slump.

Old Feb 25th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #2079
country flag *Jack*

*Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
You should've read the COMMENTS section, too:

Kvitova is talented BUT TOO INCONSISTENT. When Kvitova won Wimbledon in 2011, she predicted to sweep all slams, then went on a long and sad slump...Again when she won the Rogers Cup2012 in Montreal & New HAVEN2012, she was picked to win the US OPEN, then again she went on a torrid slump. Now she's getting hyped again, now watch her go on another slump.

I hope you won't be right because every time there will be somebody who wants to predict what she'll win or when she'll go on a slump but that doesn't mean that it's gonna happen like that. Actually, almost all predictions failed so far, so why it should be different this time? If somebody could predict sport and if we could know what's gonna happen, it wouldn't be interesting any more for us.
*Jack* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #2080
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

We also have to remember, a lot of those people writing in various comment sections (including here on TF), are loyal, absolutely Petrified (pun both intended and unintended) fans of the other top players.

In other words, it's more wishful thinking on their part. Cause at the moment, recent tennis history doesn't tell us which direction Petra would/will go. Many players in Petra's shoes, actually blossom after a 1-3 yer relative dormancy, to become great players and realize their talent, slams and championships.

We will see, find out (hopefully, sooner than later), with Ms. Kvitova.

Last edited by Excelscior : Feb 26th, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 04:40 AM   #2081
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Well,Petra beat a tough field to win her most recent title,thus showing signs that there's a limit to how far she'll sink even during a slump.She still doesn't have the ideal mental preparation that a consistent,elite player should have,but she DOES have the ability to bounce back from even difficult stretches

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #2082
country flag ArcticMoose

ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold

Kvitova showcases problem-solving skills

http://espn.go.com/tennis/blog/_/nam...solving-skills

February, 25, 2013 Feb 25

By Richard Pagliaro
Petra Kvitova made the Dubai hard court look like a sand box. Kvitova's deep blasts displaced opponents who looked like they were spinning their wheels on sand in a futile effort to gain ground on the 2011 Wimbledon champion.

Kvitova shook off a second-round Australian Open loss by leveling the field. She sandwiched sweeps of former No. 1s Ana Ivanovic and Caroline Wozniacki around a quarterfinal thumping of fourth-ranked Agnieszka Radwanska before defeating French Open finalist Sara Errani, 6-2, 1-6, 6-1, to take the title.

Changing direction of her flat drives brilliantly, the 6-foot Czech's all-court attack made even clever counter-punchers feel as though they were operating at the wrong end of a shooting gallery.

"It was just two short balls and it's over," said Radwanska, who fell to 1-4 lifetime against Kvitova. "It's a bomb coming from the other side."

The left-hander's ability to detonate points with a single swing disarms opponents, denying them the rhythm that comes from playing longer rallies while presenting a fundamental problem. How do you solve an opponent who refuses to let you rally?

"The problem is not that she's tall; the problem is that she serves very good. She hits so strong," Errani said. "It's tough to move her. It's hard to play because her ball is very flat. I don't have time to do the points that I want to do, to play the game that I want to play. All the points are very short, and it's very tough."

The powerful performance served as a reminder that Kvitova, who was two wins away from the No. 1 ranking at the 2012 Australian Open before stumbling through a trying season plagued by inconsistency and illness, can be a force at the top of the game when she's right.

Kvitova's course to her 10th career title and first since she won New Haven last August was considerably smoother given the world's top three players -- Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka and Maria Sharapova -- did not play Dubai. And though this is a significant step, she's still facing a desert-sized gap to regain a spot in the top three.

The world No. 7 trails the top-ranked Williams by more than 5,000 ranking points; she is not nearly as quick around the court and doesn't deploy the array of spins Serena can, particularly on serve. She's not as consistent as Azarenka, whom she has not faced since the 2011 WTA Championships final, and she doesn't evoke the fierce ruthlessness of Sharapova on a point-to-point basis. That explains Kvitova's combined 6-10 career record versus the world's top three, including an 0-4 mark against world No. 1 Serena and a 2-4 record against third-ranked Sharapova.

Yet those stats don't detract from the fact her upside is immense. Kvitova, who celebrates her 23rd birthday on March 8, is the second-youngest player in the top 10. She can dictate on serve, dominate on return and owns the most complete game of any woman not named Serena. She is an all-surface threat who has won titles on hard court, grass and clay and has reached at least the semifinals of every major except the U.S. Open.

When she's on her game, Kvitova is a brilliant ball-striker, whose shots are as tough to read as an SOS message scrawled across the surface of a lake.

"Petra played unbelievable; I think she was just hitting shots I had no chance to get," said Serena after roaring back from a 4-1 third-set deficit to defeat Kvitova in Doha earlier this month. "I don't think anyone on this tour could have gotten them."

Though she was prone to periods of erratic tennis last season, Kvitova is much more than a mindless baseline-blaster. Her frontcourt finesse makes her backcourt power even more menacing. When opponents drop back behind the baseline and defend in an effort to coax errors, as Wozniacki did in Dubai, Kvitova is comfortable closing at net. She won 15 of 17 trips to net versus Wozniacki, unleashing drive, drop and angled volleys to create closure.

She must still sharpen her shot selection. When the 5-foot-4 Errani rushed the net with regularity in the second set of the final, Kvitova opted to try to drill flat passes by her rather than playing high-percentage lobs over the diminutive Italian's head. And sometimes it looked like Kvitova was oblivious to the situation when she sails returns beyond the baseline. But the fact Kvitova captured the title while her longtime coach, David Kotyza, was on vacation, should give her confidence in her problem-solving skills.

A year ago, Kvitova often looked like she was battling two adversaries during singles play: Her opponent and her asthma, which is exacerbated playing in heat. She looks fitter and fresher now, has won nine of her past 10 matches, and if she can sustain her health and current level of play, look for Kvitova to gain ground at Premier events in Indian Wells and Miami, where she won just one match last season.
ArcticMoose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #2083
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Moose!!

Richard Pagliaro, is a good writer (also on Tennis.com) when it comes to Petra.

The only thing he failed to mention was: Petra did rally, at certain times during those matches, and she won many of/most of those points anyway, as well.

He also failed to mention Petra's defense and slices (offensive and defensive). But I guess you can't have, see, or remember everything?
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #2084
country flag Petronius

Great, in-depth and funny article, loving it.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #2085
country flag Petronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
The only thing he failed to mention was: Petra did rally, at certain times during those matches, and she won many of/most of those points anyway, as well.
I think Shifty has mentioned this somewhere that Petra even came on top in rallies versus Wozniacki

BTW, Pagliaro made a very good point that Petra could have used more lobs when Errani rushed the net, considering the Italian's height