Caroline Wozniacki: I lost motivation as No. 1 player - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 25th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #61
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Caroline Wozniacki: I lost motivation as No. 1 player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
what's wrong with my comments?

Caro was earning 18 mln per year when was №1 , Azarenka 6 or 7 mln per year..... Now try to find the reason why there is such a big difference between them when it concerns sponsors?
For starter's the 18 million for Caro includes her on court earnings. The figure for Azarenka I'm not even sure where you've taken it from. But lets take the number $11m as off-court earnings for Caro from her peak. Do you think that figure is going up right now? Clearly not, that figure if anything will be going down because the majority of these contracts will have performance related clauses. Caro's off court earnings potential will have massively declined with her on court results. Probably in 2010-2011, most sponsors saw her as the next superstar of the sport. You were getting a young good looking 21 year old who was number 1 in her sport and will have been seen destined to win multiple grand slams (just like Ivanovic will have been when she got all her initial sponsorship deals), now a lot of those will be having doubts (see Adidas).

Azarenka's off court earning potential is currently going up by the day (just like Caro's would have been in 2010), sponsors are throwing money at her. Will she ever reach $11m, maybe not. But when you combine her on court earnings they won't be far lower (if at all). So to say Caro earned more in 2 years than she will in 6 years is likely utter rubbish.
ozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 25th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #62
country flag Kasey

Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute

No gurl, you ain't lost motivation, you had been simply figured out and got your ass beaten like never before

Everybody told you to work on your sloppy forehand, cut down on playing MM and toughen up mentally, but you ain't wanna listen!
Now look where you are and what you do

Woz totally brought that cometh fall herself, IMO.
Kasey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #63
country flag Alejandrawrrr

Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Vika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingersinmyhair View Post
What happened was the rest of the field got stronger, it's as simple as that.

Simply no way Wozniacki can become No. 1 again with the field the way it is now, unless she takes her game to completely new heights never before seen; even if you concede she isn't playing as good as she was, if you think she'd be No.1 last year or this year even in her 2010-2011 form than you are delusional.
Harsh, but true. Woz ended 2011 with 7485 points IIRC. Just last week even #4 Radwanska had more points than that (somewhere in the low 7500s) with three women ahead of her, all approaching or passed the 10,000 mark. The top girls are simply too good at the moment in both slams and smaller events... Gone are the days when we had a Wo/vonareva top 2. And hopefully this isn't jinxing it
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #64
country flag CloudAtlas
Lamenting the days of peak SEWTA

CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Absolute BS, she played some of her greatest tennis against Kuznetsova R4 of the AO and still lost.

Simply no way Wozniacki can become No. 1 again with the field the way it is now, unless she takes her game to completely new heights never before seen; even if you concede she isn't playing as good as she was, if you think she'd be No.1 last year or this year even in her 2010-2011 form than you are delusional.

This is about her form post Wimbledon 2011 where the slump really began. She played a few good matches here and there since then but comparing 2010-2011 Wozniacki to what she is now and *not* seeing a major difference is being blinkered . Also, she played some of her most aggressive tennis against Kuznetsova but I'd say it was far from her 'best'. Anyone can bash the ball but that was never Caroline's strength to begin with. Her anticipation, footspeed, deceptively heavy shotmaking, fairly reliable serve and consistent deep groundstrokes have all deteriorated majorly.

I agree she wouldn't be #1 in this period but that's irrelevant considering that over the past 2 years, more often than not it's scrubs that are beating her as opposed to top players, whom she barely makes it far enough to play, so that in itself is indicative of a dip in form. It would be questionable to suggest that the top 50 and below scrub field got too strong for Caroline to contend with at her best.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #65
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Absolute BS, she played some of her greatest tennis against Kuznetsova R4 of the AO and still lost.

While I agree with your last statement that her form from 2010-2011 wouldn't be good enough for number 1 now. The rest is misleading or untrue. There is in no way Caro played as well in 2012 as she did in 2010. This is obvious to anyone who watched the matches. Half of those above her didn't suddenly improve to become better players than her overnight. Her decline definitely contributed to some of her downfall.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #66
country flag ViceUltramontain
Don't leave me now

ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute

Some players play to achieve dreams and win slams. Some play to win money She got the money, why even try while she perfectly knows she's not slam material anyway. If she's smart, she'll try to get preg asap to be sure to have her hand on that Nike money.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #67
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

This would be more believable if she had won a slam (unless she has no interest), had a better game, and had beat the better top 10 players. But that wasn't the case.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #68
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsi View Post
This thread isn't about Hingis but I will say what I think, it is a shame I can't find some of the stuff that I have written over 10 years ago.

97 was a transitional period in the women's game and she took advantage of it but gradually the competition got tougher and the problem Hingis had was that she had too many power players to have to beat in a row to win a tournament. Venus, Serena, Monica, Mary. Davenport and Capriati. She had to put in such an effort to beat one that her reward was another one in the next round and she didn't have the stamina to win it.

One thing she did improve was her fitness, she didn't have a choice though, if she didn't improve that then she had no chance. Look at the difference from 97 to 01. The way she was in 97 there was no chance that she would have won for example against Serena at the Australian Open in 01.

There are three matches that stand out to me in the decline forcing her retirement:
2001 US Open vs Serena: Serena was on fire that day and her serving stats were on another planet and she just blew Hingis off the court - I think this was the first real match that Hingis knew that whatever she did she just didn't stand a chance.

2002 Australian Open vs Capriati: This match hurt, this was a big chance for her to win her first GS in 4 years and she blew a 6-4 4-0 lead and 4 matchpoints

2002 Indian Wells vs Hantuchova: The final nail in the coffin. Nobody was predicting that Hantuchova would come out and play the match of her life in the final and blow Hingis off the court in straight set. Whatever doubt was in Hingis' mind before was increased.

At some point in 2001 she should have hired another coach, things just weren't working with her Mother but she was too stubborn too change things (she went without her Mother for a couple of tournaments in the clay season but went running back to her). Related but her game was just too defensive and in some matches was just a counterpuncher. She needed to go back to basics and see what game won her 3 GS's in 97. Should have watched the last 2 sets of her win over Novotna at Wimbledon in 97.

She was just born in the wrong era. The game caught up with her and she had no answers or too stubborn to change things.
Probably didn't help that her mom named her after Navratilova either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #69
country flag caroalltheway

caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
it's really hard to be motivated when you have to play MM after MM and spend every evening calculating "pocket change" points from these MMS using Excel, and it's really hard to be motivated for Slams, when you've already won a couple of Slams including Copenhagen and Ponte Vedra Beach Majors
All she needs is Baku for the career slam Don't forget the record number of times she has won the New Haven slam
caroalltheway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #70
country flag Coconut91

Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of

The way she talks you would think she used to be so dominant and win so many grand slams. Really, Caroline. You don't have to say it out loud, but at least accept you only benefited from a depleted field until players figured you out and upped their level, to the point they're just much better players than you now.

It's kind of sad though that she uses motivation as an excuse for her downfall, when it was always clear she lacked the game to be taken seriously as a #1 player.
Coconut91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #71
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why trying to win a slam didn't motivate her. For most top players, this is the main motivation. Her remarks suggest that she is confused about why she was suddenly losing. Players began to understand her game, and then she started to have more errors as a matter of course. Also, she seemed to love being no. 1 so much that I can't understand having a lack of motivation to continue in that position. If it becomes like a job, she should remember it is a job, a hard job but not the hardest job, with many many benefits. Well, with this perspective, I can't see her getting back to the top 5.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #72
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoiledEgg View Post

thats
Hadnt beaten anyone of note in a big event- no slam win or even a final without a cakewalk draw and lost motivation

So she didn't beat Sharapova at the US Open?
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #73
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
If anything it is the opposite; if she was losing motivation, it was because she wasn't winning slams, not because she was winning too much....
There is something in that. Maybe she read the tea leaves and sees only Vika, Masha, Petra, and long-running Serena in her future.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #74
country flag ozza

You are also in turn putting pressure on yourself with a statement like this. Because if that is the reason you are claiming for your downfall, and you now are claiming you have that motivation back, then people are going to expect your results to return to where they were before. Unfortunately it's never that simple.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #75
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

What?