On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen - Page 316 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #4726
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Doesn't matter if you're young, old, stunning, or flawed, they still lay it on heavy in the studio.

No. I have no illusions about the celebrity condition, and suggest that a punishment of education be administered to their admirers instead. Without an audience...
That's right, I think that they are just a reflection of people's attitude. If people appreciated different things the popular culture would also change. These days the physical beauty is so extremely important that some people relate it to one's personal worth and overlook a lot more important things. Just a pretty face is enough
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 13th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #4727
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Doesn't matter if you're young, old, stunning, or flawed, they still lay it on heavy in the studio.

No. I have no illusions about the celebrity condition, and suggest that a punishment of education be administered to their admirers instead. Without an audience...
Glad that I had a couple minutes to reply to you before heading to work

Yes,I'm aware that the plastering is almost a ritual that's done with nearly every performer,but I was commenting more on the great number who aren't half as beautiful as the sleight-of-hand makes them sometimes appear.

As for your suggested punishment,you've seen me post,on several occasions,how GroupThink has launched an all-out assault on critical thinking skills as part of the worldwide humanist public education apocalypse....see you later--hopefully with good news from Caroline

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #4728
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe Redfool was on The Tonight Show as a special correspondant at the Grammys. Ugh.

On a positive note, I really like this new commercial by GE in which a bunch of machines/robots come together to check out some new machines. It's pretty cool. Brilliant Machines is what I think they're calling it.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)

Last edited by Protoss : Feb 13th, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 03:50 AM   #4729
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

I find this notion of players being figured out somewhat overstated. I think it's most applicable in the case of someone who has a big jump in the rankings from one year to the next like going from ranked in the 60s to ranked in the top 20 and then in the following year dropping to top 30 or outside of that.

I think when you make the jump to top 10/15/20, you get the attention of your opponents (or at least their coaches). You're no longer an unknown like could be claimed during your breakthrough season. A lot of players start to fall off in their results/rankings at this point (pressure of backing up a breakthrough being another big factor).

I find it hard to believe that a player could finish a second season in a row in the top 10/15/20 and not have been scouted out quite a bit.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 04:18 AM   #4730
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
I find this notion of players being figured out somewhat overstated. I think it's most applicable in the case of someone who has a big jump in the rankings from one year to the next like going from ranked in the 60s to ranked in the top 20 and then in the following year dropping to top 30 or outside of that.

I think when you make the jump to top 10/15/20, you get the attention of your opponents (or at least their coaches). You're no longer an unknown like could be claimed during your breakthrough season. A lot of players start to fall off in their results/rankings at this point (pressure of backing up a breakthrough being another big factor).

I find it hard to believe that a player could finish a second season in a row in the top 10/15/20 and not have been scouted out quite a bit.
I think that they should round up a few of the robots from Brilliant Machines and see how their interview charisma compares with surefire insomnia cures like Stosur and Kerber...btw,in the boredom realm,4 ""=4 stars for a movie.I'm cutting cute li'l dork Vinci a whole lot of slack here b/c she simply doesn't speak English very well.Her vocabulary contains about 20 words;"play a good match" being prominent among that group...the other two aforementioned gals speak English very well thus have no excuse

Sorry for changing the subject from your post above;you make a couple very plausible arguments

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #4731
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
I can't believe Redfool was on The Tonight Show as a special correspondant at the Grammys. Ugh.

On a positive note, I really like this new commercial by GE in which a bunch of machines/robots come together to check out some new machines. It's pretty cool. Brilliant Machines is what I think they're calling it.
I read somewhere that he has some new projects which are to do with tennis. New Vika's coach in the making,anyone?
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #4732
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
I read somewhere that he has some new projects which are to do with tennis. New Vika's coach in the making,anyone?
If she tries to copy his hairstyle and play a match that way,I will literally piss my pants from laughing so hard.

I have to give Vika some credit,though,b/c she has a relationship with a big-name musical performer and,so far,that has had ZERO negative impact on her career.I suspect that maybe 5% of today's current players could balance their off-court/on-court lives that well

Old Feb 18th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #4733
country flag bruce goose

What a difference it makes when your neighbor's dog is actually happy to see you and reacts affectionately at your presence.I've had the complete opposite circumstances in the past,and it gets quite tiresome.A few years ago,after my granddad died when I was living in another place,I finally had enough and put some muriatic acid in a spray bottle.I could've discreetly blinded the neighbors' dog if I'd wanted to,but I only sought to send him a message....As he was a short-hair,he DEFINITELY got that message.He still barked hatefully at me whenever possible...yet he kept a reasonable buffer distance from my side of the fence...which is all that I really needed....Am glad that I didn't have to be 'the bad guy' at my new place

Old Feb 18th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #4734
country flag Protoss

I'm glad I'm not on your bad side, Bruce.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #4735
country flag bruce goose

Well,at that time,my granddad had just died--and he was a VERY good man--so I had some degree of justification for feeling ornery

Old Feb 20th, 2013, 04:29 AM   #4736
country flag bruce goose

My neighbor's dog almost peed on my hand today,but it would've been largely my fault if he'd done so.He's less than a year old and naturally playful,and I got him all excited outside the house as he ran around(which often leads to a VERY predictable result).As I stopped him and rolled him on his side to rub his tummy,he let loose at that very moment and,thankfully,missed my tummy-rubbing hand by a few Cms

Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 03:28 AM   #4737
country flag Protoss

The ignore list is a useful function.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 03:50 AM   #4738
country flag bruce goose

Well,I can't speak for everyone,but I've found that a lot of posters brag about using the list in an apparent attempt to insult the other poster whom they supposedly ignore...and then they usually read those posts at some point anyway

I'm not saying that EVERY Ignore List-user is a mental simpleton but,really....I don't need the Mute button for an assclown invention like 'Friends';I simply don't watch that moronic show.Likewise,if there WERE a person here whom I couldn't stand to read,I'd just skip over his/her posts whenever I saw his/her poster name on the left....Purty Eee-zeee

Old Feb 24th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #4739
country flag bruce goose

So Sabine had such a deadly strain of the Bubonic Plague that she couldn't finish her match...and yet she was perfectly able to pose for the post-match trophy camera shots??I'm not suggesting that Sabine is a bad PERSON,in any way but,as an athlete,"German Ana" is a pathetic joke.Sabine,why don't you just find some rich bf/potential husband and RETIRE so that you'll stop embarrassing the sport

Old Feb 24th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #4740
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
As far as I can tell,Barthel is a humble,well-mannered gal...almost the polar opposite of Diaz.Wouldn't you agree that one of the best punishments for certain scummy celebs is how they vainly,helplessly struggle against Time? Being rendered helpless might be a worse punishment than the death penalty for many of those types
Just curious...Why is Cameron Diaz "scummy"? I've seen some of her movies but I know nothing (and I mean nothing) about her private life.

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread