Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 51 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 03:20 PM   #751
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonfire View Post
great post hope Caroline can keep up the good momentum and find a nice balance between aggressive play when she can and perfect defense to not give away cheap points like Marineblue said. It's got a be an almost flawless combination when she faces the very top players on good days. Tough to do but we've seen her do it before
I'm glad that she says she wants to get back in the top mix.
After so much time, there was plenty to be concerned about.
She definately played better this week, and she knows she needs that hunger and effort level to be top 4 again.

I still look at it that Serena, Maria & Li probably wont be winning in 2 or 3 years.
Petra is inconsistent, and we still dont know if Vika can hold this level for years & years. Very few do.

If Caroline can get back in the mix at the top, she still will have plenty of opportunities at hardcourt majors.

I'm looking forward to IW & Miami. Just want her to get out of this Intl heathy. If she wins #21 here, great. But get to IW healthy
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 03:37 PM   #752
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
8 winners and 14 unforced errors is playing very well?
Agree. Dubai was a good tournament. But Caro still has a long way to go

Quote:
Getting routined by Kvitova does not say back in the mix to me.
True. Even Ivanovic had a closer match vs Kvitova. Not impressed by Caro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya00000 View Post
but when Azarenka, Serena, Petra or Maria are on top there ist nothing to win for Caro.
yeah, same situation for Aga. But you forgot Li

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is online now View My Blog!  
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 03:58 PM   #753
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucolo View Post
Caroline

True. Even Ivanovic had a closer match vs Kvitova. Not impressed by Caro
That LOOKS to be true,on paper,but it's not really what happened: Petra jumped out to big leads in both sets vs. Ivanovic and completely dominated w/o any challenge whatsoever.Then,as she does sometimes,Petra began sleepwalking b/c she knew that she was playing slutty Ana and could win the match whenever she felt like it.Once the score got closer,Petra turned the intensity back on and easily closed out 'King Ralph'.

In contrast,Caroline at least forced her big-hitting foe to work a little bit and kept the score close most of the time...which is fairly remarkable because the Czech was hitting some winners with serious heat,several of which would've been unreturnable for ANYone.True,Caroline played a poor service game after getting the break in the 2nd set,but she forced her foe to stay on her toes(and Caro's 3 previous wins in the H2H were evidence that she was a legit threat).

I've got to run to a class now,but I just wanted to encourage you that things weren't as bleak as they've been before.Caroline still has some work ahead of her;however,the prospects aren't totally dark.Auf wiedersehen

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Opening Soon: The Allaster-Stubbs-Amanmuradova Academy of Feminine Grace and Charm
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 05:52 PM   #754
country flag Bonfire

Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I'm glad that she says she wants to get back in the top mix.
After so much time, there was plenty to be concerned about.
She definately played better this week, and she knows she needs that hunger and effort level to be top 4 again.

I still look at it that Serena, Maria & Li probably wont be winning in 2 or 3 years.
Petra is inconsistent, and we still dont know if Vika can hold this level for years & years. Very few do.

If Caroline can get back in the mix at the top, she still will have plenty of opportunities at hardcourt majors.

I'm looking forward to IW & Miami. Just want her to get out of this Intl heathy. If she wins #21 here, great. But get to IW healthy
yeah I hope she does well at KL but getting to IW/Miami healthy and feeling fresh will be most important. By the way...does anyone know if KL gets livestreamed? Never watched that tournament before.

W
ozniacki - Stephens - Vandeweghe
Townsend - Stosur - Kvitova
Isner - Wawrinka - Sock - Berdych - Raonic

Bonfire is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 09:13 PM   #755
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucolo View Post
Caroline

Agree. Dubai was a good tournament. But Caro still has a long way to go
Yeah, until she can stand with YEC players like she belongs, there's a long way to go.
But she says she's hungry again, and thats vital to any comeback. The players at the top are fighting for every match. Caroline has to do that also, especially the end of these 2nd sets

Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 10:26 PM   #756
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm encouraged so far this season. Only actually saw her play at the AO but there are encouraging signs with the way she's been playing bearing in mind just how far her level has fallen over the last year and a half. Of course I'd like it if when she was up against Aga and Petra and did have her chances in the 2nd set in those matches if she hadn't wobbled and that's something that needs improving. But my biggest worry and concern is that she builds on and maintains this current level of play she has found.

She says she has found a hunger - but until she sustains her current level and always makes it to actually face a top YEC player every time - I'm just not prepared to say that she's turned a corner and improving although it's more encouraging so far.

That to me is still my most immediate concern and worry. Not that she didn't beat Petra or Aga (or actually even Sveta at AO).

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 04:32 AM   #757
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Now that Caroline has admitted to previously losing her hunger somewhat,we may speculate a little as to what,exactly,caused that.My current fave theory is 'Discouragement';that is,she remained #1 for such a long stretch and came sort of close to a couple more Slam finals after falling in her first back in 2009...yet she couldn't overcome that final hurdle.

That might account for the almost knee-jerk way that she tried to incorporate aggressiveness into her game(as opposed to tinkering,as several successful greats have modified their games).Caro is only human,but I don't believe that fan criticism played any major role,if ANY,in her decision to be more aggressive.If she was losing hunger,then a so-called quick-fix solution might have looked more appealing to her.......and the way in which those changes were implemented kept reminding me of a quick-fix mentality right from the beginning

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Opening Soon: The Allaster-Stubbs-Amanmuradova Academy of Feminine Grace and Charm
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #758
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

As far as changes in her game I think that the idea could have come from her father, not her. Her mum said in a recent interview that it was Piotr who took the criticism quite personally and in his comments in 2012 he actually mentioned his intentions of stepping aside, their focus being only on slams in '12 and other things which were in line with what Caro's critics were often saying.
I guess they were told by many other professionals similar things as well so if the same things were said by so many it was too tempting not to try it.
So they tried it and it was pretty much a fail. Maybe Caro herself felt that the new aggressive approach wouldn't work out from the beginning but she was probably persuaded by her team to sacrifice her consistency for the purpose of taking her game on the next level.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #759
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Now that Caroline has admitted to previously losing her hunger somewhat,we may speculate a little as to what,exactly,caused that.My current fave theory is 'Discouragement';that is,she remained #1 for such a long stretch and came sort of close to a couple more Slam finals after falling in her first back in 2009...yet she couldn't overcome that final hurdle.

That might account for the almost knee-jerk way that she tried to incorporate aggressiveness into her game(as opposed to tinkering,as several successful greats have modified their games).Caro is only human,but I don't believe that fan criticism played any major role,if ANY,in her decision to be more aggressive.If she was losing hunger,then a so-called quick-fix solution might have looked more appealing to her.......and the way in which those changes were implemented kept reminding me of a quick-fix mentality right from the beginning
I think it could be a combination of several things that caused her to lose that hunger.....

-The criticism she got when she was number one might have given her a feeling of, "what's the point? No matter what I do, it's never good enough."
-The fact that despite the criticism she is financially secure for the rest of her life even if she never plays another match in her life. And if she ends up marrying Rory they could with their combined fortunes buy Danmark. So money is not much of a motivation at this point. Definitely not as much as when you're struggling to make ends meet.
-The emotions caused by her relationship with Rory. First serious love affair, etc. Whereas previously tennis was the number one priority in her life it now got some serious competition from this relationship.

But it's great to hear that she's got her motivation back. I think that by the time she retires Caroline will be able to sit in that rockin' chair in the knowledge that no matter what she may or may not achieve in years to come, she gave it everything she had. And that's all we can expect from her.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #760
country flag goldenlox

Definately, when you are as wealthy & famous as Caroline reached, by age 20, motivation will be a problem.

Who are the most famous sports couples in the world? Beckhams, Agassi/Graf, want to include Roddicks?
Rory & Caroline are right there. McIlroy will probably be on the golf tour 30 more years and chance to make Billions.

Also, Caroline has already been #1 for 2010, 2011. So its hard to top that.
But if she can get back into the top group, eventually winning majors & getting to #1 again, it would be a tremendous accomplishment.

I'm glad she's giving it a try, becuase she doesnt have to. Whatever the original incentives were: success, #1, lots of titles, wealth, fame, she reached all those early.
Now like Williams and Sharapova, can she stay near the top for a long period, and be a Hall of Fame player? They have the fame & wealth early too, and are still at the top
Thats what she's working for now. Her tennis legacy, which is already excellent

Old Feb 24th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #761
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I think it could be a combination of several things that caused her to lose that hunger.....

-The criticism she got when she was number one might have given her a feeling of, "what's the point? No matter what I do, it's never good enough."
-The fact that despite the criticism she is financially secure for the rest of her life even if she never plays another match in her life. And if she ends up marrying Rory they could with their combined fortunes buy Danmark. So money is not much of a motivation at this point. Definitely not as much as when you're struggling to make ends meet.
-The emotions caused by her relationship with Rory. First serious love affair, etc. Whereas previously tennis was the number one priority in her life it now got some serious competition from this relationship.

But it's great to hear that she's got her motivation back. I think that by the time she retires Caroline will be able to sit in that rockin' chair in the knowledge that no matter what she may or may not achieve in years to come, she gave it everything she had. And that's all we can expect from her.
To clarify,I wasn't suggesting that there was merely one solitary cause for Caroline's previous lack of hunger...was just speculating on the PRIMARY cause.

I can accept "Marine's" theory that Caro's dad,or other tennis professionals,persuaded her to make changes to her game....but I'd be quite shocked if she revealed,one day,that the FANS pushed her to change.It's not a matter of not RESPECTING her fans,it's just that Caroline has the sense to grasp how futile it would be to allow fan preferences to dictate your life.There are a couple airhead cover girls in the WTA who allow fan opinion to steer how they present themselves publically...because,for them,their image/popularity is EVERYthing...and is FAR more important than their tennis.However,Caroline isn't the shallow sort to put out such a false package for fan consumption,and she's not gonna let mass opinion tell her who she should be

Old Feb 24th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #762
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently Hantuchova decided not to play Kuala Lumpur anyway. The most interesting seeds, Pavlyuchenkova and Vekic, are both in the other half. The 'toughest' opponent in Caro's half is #55 Morita against whom Caro is 4-0 without losing a set. If Caro doesn't reach the final with this field, I'd call it a failure (bar injury/illness).
http://www.bmwmalaysianopen.com/draw-scores-singles
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #763
country flag Blu€

Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute

The only bad thing about winning KL is that she will enter the Sofia race , I sure hope she qualifies for Istanbul this year, I don't like that Sofia tournament at all.

Morita has been playing well this year, totally owned the Russians at Fed Cup, but yes, Caro should add a new punching bag!

···♥♥Wozniacki♥♥···

♪♫♪♫In a sky full of stars I think I saw you ♪♫♪♫

Last edited by Blu€ : Feb 24th, 2013 at 05:53 PM.
Blu€ is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #764
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu€ View Post
The only bad thing about winning KL is that she will enter the Sofia race , I sure hope she qualifies for Istanbul this year, I don't like that Sofia tournament at all.

Morita has been playing well this year, totally owned the Russians at Fed Cup, but yes, Caro should add a new punching bag!
Maybe I'm too optimistic for once, but I think that Caro will qualify for Istanbul this time. I agree that Sofia is a waste of time.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #765
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Maybe I'm too optimistic for once, but I think that Caro will qualify for Istanbul this time. I agree that Sofia is a waste of time.
I think she has a good chance if she keeps playing well. She needs to find her consistency again. And she's not even qualified for Sofia yet, let's not get ahead of ourselves.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread