Serena: I stayed at a two out of a 10, and I can't play that low.'' - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 19th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #151
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold
Re: Serena: I stayed at a two out of a 10, and I can't play that low.''

Just an observation...Serena has played in 681 matches, winning 564 matches or 82% and winning close to $42M in prize money.

Based on those stats, Serena has a right to be hyper critical about her performance, given that she knows what she is doing right and wrong on the court, not just executing the shot but also shot selection. Perhaps to the average player, rating oneself 2 of 10 is disrespectful to the other player, but when considering the high level of play that Serena has played during her career, I would have to agree with her. In fact, I know she has won many matches and tournaments playing only at 5 or 6. For her to play flawlessly, it would be closer to an 8, while playing at 10 or perfection is impossible, but something she strives for.

People just need to understand that everybody has their own benchmarks of rating oneself. Someone may be less critical and others will be more critical. It is safe to say that to win over 500 matches and over $40M in prize money, one has to have very high standards of play.

I think the sportsmanship comments is just a chance for haters to attack an elite player. Good sportsmanship coming from an elite player is usually scripted lies and how they really feel never is said in front of the camera. Serena is just being honest and has been consistently so. I guess some people are just trained to hear scripted lies and are not willing to hear anything else.
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 19th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #152
country flag Aravanecaravan
The Aravane Caravan

Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute

I guess she's never played more than 3/10 in her life then.... About the only excuse she hasn't used for losing was the one about the dog eating her homework. Or has she used that one already, too?

Garbiñe Muguruza * Julia Goerges * Heidi El Tabakh * Sania Mirza * Louisa Chirico * Tamira Paszek

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
Aravanecaravan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #153
country flag gbenga

gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravanecaravan View Post
I guess she's never played more than 3/10 in her life then.... About the only excuse she hasn't used for losing was the one about the dog eating her homework. Or has she used that one already, too?
You saw the thread and decided to add your own "two cent" even though you have no idea what its about or have anything of substance to contribute to it.
gbenga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #154
country flag WeiWei

WeiWei is a name known to all WeiWei is a name known to all WeiWei is a name known to all WeiWei is a name known to all WeiWei is a name known to all WeiWei is a name known to all WeiWei is a name known to all WeiWei is a name known to all WeiWei is a name known to all WeiWei is a name known to all WeiWei is a name known to all

that's true. What a horrible serve and move Serena had in that match, but she still managed to let the match go competitive. Next time please destroy that cheater in no more than 4 games.
WeiWei is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #155
country flag matty

matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1980 View Post
Of course she can play better, sounds motivated to do so too.
Exactly.

Same 'ol thread(s) about Serena not giving compliments to her opponents. She's not going to change. By stating this, it gives her the strength/belief that the power to win/control lays in her own hands. This is why she's so successful. Azarenka knows how Serena is and she respects and likes her.

ooo h a n t u c h o v a ooo a z a r e n k a ooo s w i l l i a m s ooo v w i l l i a m s ooo k e y s ooo m a t t e k - s a n d s ooo k u z n e t s o v a ooo
matty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #156
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
It's unsportsmanlike to be critical of her game and not give credit to her opponent.. which she never does. Don't act like this isn't Serena's m.o. Remember "lucky shots"?

All Serena had to say when the question was about the match being good quality was "glad you enjoyed it".
"I stayed at a 2 out of 10"... really? Yet Vika played really well. Oh ok Serena... we undersatnd it: your opponent NEVER beats you. She's just an ungracious loser which is OKAY but at least do your interviews better. Hide it like Federer does (99% of the time at least)

WTF are you even talking about?? She was very complimentary of Victoria because Vika played well and Serena didn't she acknowledge as much. You guys are PRESSED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha Fierce View Post
full interview

Serena Williams

DOHA, QATAR

Q. Overall impressions? I mean, it seemed like a fairly good quality match for the fans and everything even though it didn't go your direction.

SERENA WILLIAMS: It seemed like good quality to you?

Q. For the fans to watch.
SERENA WILLIAMS: What about to you?

Q. To me?
SERENA WILLIAMS: On my end, it probably wasn't the best quality. (Smiling.)

Q. You had a lot of unforced errors.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I made so many errors. It was just weird. I mean...

Q. 48.
SERENA WILLIAMS: 48? Oh, my gosh. That's so many.
My serve, oh, my gosh, it was just one of those days. I'm having too many of those days. I've got to cut them out.

Q. What was happening out there?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't know. Like I just ‑‑this whole week I just don't think I played my best tennis, and, you know, I was fighting every match. Then I was just really excited to make it to the final with the game I was playing all week.
You know, I can't play that quality game against a top player like Victoria. I have to be able to pick up my game, and I wasn't able to do that today. I stayed at a 2 out of a 10, and I can't play that low.

Q. Taking all that out of the picture, was there something she did differently this time? I mean, obviously you had a 11‑1 and you won the last 9 prior.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think, you know, she always plays consistent every time I play her. I think, you know, she played well. I think she played really well today. I think she really moved well.
But it's good. Honestly I feel great. I feel like there is so much more I can work on, and there's so much room for improvement for me, so the fact that that's still available is really exciting.

Q. Obviously Sandy said there was obviously a one‑sided rivalry before, but do you sense a rivalry beginning? It seemed like on court you were having really good rapport. Is that something you would look forward to, having someone you could battle with all the time, win some, lose some?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I always respect Victoria. I think she's a really good player. Obviously she's so consistent and she plays well. She's just a ‑‑she's like a solid player.
It's nice to always play someone that you go home and you're like, Okay, I didn't do great, but let me work harder.
I think that, you know, she inspires I think a lot of people to work harder, and definitely me.

Q. Without taking anything away from a good match and a good performance by Victoria, do you, to some extent, feel you did the main job that you came here to do, which was to...
SERENA WILLIAMS: Again, I think Victoria played really well today. I think she did everything she was doing. I can't say that I'm depressed like I am whenever I lose. I'm definitely not happy, but I'm No. 1. (Smiling.)
I never thought ‑‑it was such a long journey, and after winning Wimbledon and the US Open and the Championships, I thought, I just don't think I can win anymore. I don't know what it takes to be No. 1.
So it was awesome to come here and achieve that goal. Honestly, the way the week started out, I was really‑‑ I wasn't sure I would get there. I thought, you know, maybe I won't make it.
But I did, and I feel like ‑‑ I know it sounds a little bit redundant, but never‑give‑up kind of attitude, never give in.
I think that attitude really helped me for this whole journey in the past two years to continue and to just keep fighting even when things looked horrible in the personal life or in the professional life. You've just got to stay positive and never give up.
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #157
country flag Tennisation

Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV. View Post
No we wouldn't, and Serena would never do that. But thanks for injecting those violent stereotypes into the discourse though, good job!
Grow up.
Is LBV pulling a race card again? Big ass surprise.
Tennisation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #158
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisation View Post
Is LBV pulling a race card again? Big ass surprise.
And is another unknown bitch coming for me out of nowhere?

Check!
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #159
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think he wanted to stereotype, Serena is her own person.
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #160
country flag ZeroSumGame

ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future

Serena's a perfectionist, reason why she's the best female tennis player in the 21st Century. She's been around for 17yrs and still simply the best, your favs will NEVER EVER!! ...being very self critical of her game is considered arrogance & disrespect towards the opposition. May be if your favs start to critically evaluate their game after every loss, they would make significant improvements

...and oh, PovaTards trolling in here, I feel sorry for you, at your last ditch effort to sling mud at a GOAT.
ZeroSumGame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #161
country flag vixter

vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's unsportsmanlike to be critical of her game and not give credit to her opponent.. which she never does. Don't act like this isn't Serena's m.o. Remember "lucky shots"?

All Serena had to say when the question was about the match being good quality was "glad you enjoyed it".
"I stayed at a 2 out of 10"... really? Yet Vika played really well. Oh ok Serena... we undersatnd it: your opponent NEVER beats you. She's just an ungracious loser which is OKAY but at least do your interviews better. Hide it like Federer does (99% of the time at least)
Of course I remember "lucky shots" it's a classic

If you think she never gives her opponents credit you either lack reading skills or you read only the parts that fit your image of her. The credit is there to see. Saying that it's not there is just a lie. The interview has already been posted but to make it easy for you I will copy and paste the relevant parts.

You know, I can't play that quality game against a top player like Victoria.

I think, you know, she played well. I think she played really well today. I think she really moved well.

It's nice to always play someone that you go home and you're like, Okay, I didn't do great, but let me work harder.
I think that, you know, she inspires I think a lot of people to work harder, and definitely me.

So what were you saying about not giving credit?

Tennis-fan since 2001 Serena-fan since 2001
Don't hate the player hate the game. I dislike noone. Not even Sharapova.
vixter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #162
country flag Wilson_07

Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future Wilson_07 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Serena fans on here are ridiculous. Everything she says or does is justified.
Like I said before, if Serena walked to the other side of the court and stabbed her opponent to death, reetards would say she deserved it.

Are her comments a big deal? No. But she's the biggest star in the game and she said something unsportsmanlike/classless. She vacillates between being a great representative of women's tennis and a terrible one.
Good call, fans shouldn't justify everything, but it's not like the other fanbases act much more classy around here. It's getting very childish and hateful all the time on this board, with people talking about classlessness, who aren't the epitome of class themselves.
It can be entertaining and laughable, but this forum doesn't appear like a place to me where earnest discussions take place very often.
'Don't throw bricks when you live in a glass house' is what comes to my mind when I read most of this.
Wilson_07 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #163
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson_07 View Post
Good call, fans shouldn't justify everything, but it's not like the other fanbases act much more classy around here. It's getting very childish and hateful all the time on this board, with people talking about classlessness, who aren't the epitome of class themselves.
It can be entertaining and laughable, but this forum doesn't appear like a place to me where earnest discussions take place very often.
'Don't throw bricks when you live in a glass house' is what comes to my mind when I read most of this.
Yes!! But ALL of this post!
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #164
country flag JCTennisFan

JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute

Basically what this translates to is...

"I sure as hell am not going to lose to you in any important matches from here on out, so get used to being the new Sharapova when you face me."

You don't want to make Serena angry.... you wouldn't like her when she is angry .
JCTennisFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #165
country flag matty

matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute

48 UE is not playing well-what's not to get?

ooo h a n t u c h o v a ooo a z a r e n k a ooo s w i l l i a m s ooo v w i l l i a m s ooo k e y s ooo m a t t e k - s a n d s ooo k u z n e t s o v a ooo
matty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote