Rebecca Marino and the Internet - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 18th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #1
country flag OohZuzana

OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future OohZuzana has a brilliant future
Rebecca Marino and the Internet

Thought this would be worth sharing here...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/sp...nd-hiatus.html

Obviously Rebecca's reaction is one of the more extreme cases, but people should be aware that players often wind up reading nearly every word written about them online, whether they should or shouldn't. From the top five from the top 500, know that when you say something about a player online (either on Twitter or here), there's a good chance they'll see it eventually, and that some do wind up taking things very personally and earnestly.

Not condemning anyone, and obviously TF is a fairly magical place sometimes, but just know that no place on the Internet is an island.
Advertisement

Old Feb 18th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #2
country flag killerqueen

killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rebecca Marino and the Internet

It is sad to read that her hiatus was prompted by idiots online. I'm glad that she's attempting a comeback - it'd be a real shame if her career was ended by a bunch of keyboard warriors with nothing better to do but post hate about someone they'll never know.

Elena Baltacha. Never forgotten.
killerqueen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #3
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Becca You just have to know when to ignore some people .
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #4
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute

If I was a pro athlete, I would definitely stay off the message boards. No matter who you are, someone will thrash you, it's just the nature of the beast. I would have a Twitter account to have a voice and dispel rumors, but you'd have to constantly block people there, too. Facebook? No.

As an athlete, you just can't read this kind of thing.

I wouldn't think she'd have many haters anyway, but I guess it's the random bettors and what not.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute

A shame. I really like her game and hope she can climb back up to where she was in 2011, and hopefully higher.
Break My Rapture is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #6
country flag GOATdin0931

GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute

Becca
GOATdin0931 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #7
country flag Trickle
Cetkovstan

Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, how scary to have someone think you should die just because you cost them money for doing something they did out of their own free will.

She seems like a sweet girl. I like the part that during her break she wanted to work a normal 9-5 job like a cashier or a restaurant hostess.
Trickle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #8
country flag wildemu

wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you have the mindset that people on the internet are evil, you are good to go.

Otherwise, stay out of the kitchen because it'll be too hot for you.
wildemu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #9
country flag Bartoli's Boy

Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of

That's such a shame. I hope she can learn to block out the cruel things people say, and get back to where she was.
Bartoli's Boy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #10
country flag MG1

MG1 is a name known to all MG1 is a name known to all MG1 is a name known to all MG1 is a name known to all MG1 is a name known to all MG1 is a name known to all MG1 is a name known to all MG1 is a name known to all MG1 is a name known to all MG1 is a name known to all MG1 is a name known to all

That's quite a sad article to read.

I actually think lots of players, especially the younger ones, probably read about themselves online. There is so much out there, I'm sure lots of them have googled themselves a few times and obviously they read the replies/mentions on their twitter account. While some probably take the negative comments with a grain of salt and laugh it off, some are going to be more sensitive to it.

I think people here who don't think some players read about themselves online/haven't ever been on this website are a bit naive. Some just handle the "haters" better. If it's going to bother her that much, she should get someone to monitor her Twitter by blocking people, deleting the negative replies, etc. so she doesn't have to read all that. She has a lot of talent, I hope all of this doesn't end her career.
MG1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #11
country flag supermod

supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of

It's a sad story, but at the same time all players/celebrities/actors should not take internet-comments too seriously. And if they can't deal with it (because they are too young/emotional) don't read them.

Wozniacki and Vika would be depressed if they would take the comments on TF to heart.
supermod is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #12
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

there is obvious difference between message boards + news media (player actually have to find these) or social media (where everything is just thrown into your face).

Not saying either way is right ppl abusing players, but searching after yourself is probably another level of stupid than just reading your FB page.
Parents, coaches, managers should be aware of this.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #13
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

Becca
TimeyWimey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #14
country flag Paldias

Paldias has a brilliant future Paldias has a brilliant future Paldias has a brilliant future Paldias has a brilliant future Paldias has a brilliant future Paldias has a brilliant future Paldias has a brilliant future Paldias has a brilliant future Paldias has a brilliant future Paldias has a brilliant future Paldias has a brilliant future
That's horrible. She's a great player and seems like a sweet girl! Hopefully she won't take things too seriously going forward and get her ranking back up again!

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #15
country flag torto14

torto14 is a name known to all torto14 is a name known to all torto14 is a name known to all torto14 is a name known to all torto14 is a name known to all torto14 is a name known to all torto14 is a name known to all torto14 is a name known to all torto14 is a name known to all torto14 is a name known to all torto14 is a name known to all

Venting your rage on a forum after a lost bet is one thing, seeking out the player and verbally abusing them is just sad.
torto14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote