Maria's problem against Serena Williams - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #16
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria's problem against Serena Williams

There is a flip side to this. A defining portion of Serena's career is her dominance over Maria. Serena really gets up to protect that....it seems to cause her to raise her game, at least a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #17
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asanty View Post
On another hand Joyce was not able to do something as well...
but Lansdorp was, and so many others too
Rerun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #18
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashwanth View Post
Then you have a new favourite today in Azarenka right?
I wish I could find a way to like Vika. The way her game has taken off to new heights, particularly on the mental side, these past 13 or 14 months is astonishing and admirable. She transformed herself into a completely new player. You could tell how unbreakable the new Vika was just from her comments after every Serena loss. She remained positive, upbeat, and full of confidence and sure of herself that her time would come. And that patience and perseverance paid off today. She believes she's going to win every time she steps onto the court.

All that being said, I still can't stand her.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #19
country flag Maria rocks

Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
I wish I could find a way to like Vika. The way her game has taken off to new heights, particularly on the mental side, these past 13 or 14 months is astonishing and admirable. She transformed herself into a completely new player. You could tell how unbreakable the new Vika was just from her comments after every Serena loss. She remained positive, upbeat, and full of confidence and sure of herself that her time would come. And that patience and perseverance paid off today. She believes she's going to win every time she steps onto the court.

All that being said, I still can't stand her.
I don't want to like Vika but i can't help but admire her. That today was just a fabulous performance. Well deserved champion of Doha again.

Maria i feel on her day can beat Vika and Serena but she needs to believe. At the moment she just has a mental block when she plays either one. They are no better than Maria they just think they are. Big difference.
Maria rocks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 06:16 AM   #20
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

first of all , Hogsted should be fired, it's Not Masha one-dimentional and "No plan B" player , it's Hogsted one-dimentional....

Look at his strategy vs Li - just play in the middle and let her create angles by herself , she will make huge number of errors... But Li Na was probably working during off season to close this breach in her game... As a result Masha didn't know what to do vs Li at all .....

secondly, Serena won't be in her 2012 form in 2013 and definitely not in 2014 .... She's passed her Olympic peak. Now such players as Vika, Petra and even Sloane have belief that they can beat her. All Masha needs to beat Serena is too improve , i'm sure that her YEC game would have been enough to beat "Doha's" Serena

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player

Last edited by NashaMasha : Feb 18th, 2013 at 06:22 AM.
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #21
country flag yashwanth

yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
first of all , Hogsted should be fired, it's Not Masha one-dimentional and "No plan B" player , it's Hogsted one-dimentional....

Look at his strategy vs Li - just play in the middle and let her create angles by herself , she will make huge number of errors... But Li Na was probably working during off season to close this breach in her game... As a result Masha didn't know what to do vs Li at all .....

secondly, Serena won't be in her 2012 form in 2013 and definitely not in 2014 .... She's passed her Olympic peak. Now such players as Vika, Petra and even Sloane have belief that they can beat her. All Masha needs to beat Serena is too improve , i'm sure that her YEC game would have been enough to beat "Doha's" Serena
Yes thats why everybody calls her No Plan B player. The coach's help to players was only to a certain extent, its the Player who should change his/her strategy if some thing is not working well on the court like you said in case of Li or anybody else. She has only one game plan Hit as hard as you can every ball she gets even if it is failing miserably. Players like Vika/Li has this amazing ability to absorb pace and Serena can overpower you. These things everybody knows. So she should go for something else. The most irritating thing I have seen in her play is her reluctance to go forward to the net. If he plays some doubles and learns some net play she might finish many points much earlier especially with a serve like hers.I have seen a lot of net play during her win against Serena in 2004.
yashwanth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #22
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashwanth View Post
Yes thats why everybody calls her No Plan B player. The coach's help to players was only to a certain extent, its the Player who should change his/her strategy if some thing is not working well on the court like you said in case of Li or anybody else. She has only one game plan Hit as hard as you can every ball she gets even if it is failing miserably. Players like Vika/Li has this amazing ability to absorb pace and Serena can overpower you. These things everybody knows. So she should go for something else. The most irritating thing I have seen in her play is her reluctance to go forward to the net. If he plays some doubles and learns some net play she might finish many points much earlier especially with a serve like hers.I have seen a lot of net play during her win against Serena in 2004.
it's the work of the coach to define plan A, plan B, plan C , different combinations etc .... His work is to watch opponents matches and elaborate right tactics ..... Masha follows his advices , but he is even more one dimentional than Masha ......

Serena serving in T at crucial points was a great discovery for him after 1st set What was he doing before the match ? why didn't he know it beforehand? wasn't he analysing Petra's matchm at all?

moreover , i didn't see anything new in Maria's game vs Serena..... Hogsted was great when it concerned clay seasons , but he absolutely ruined everything outside clay ..... Masha just after her shoulder injury despite being serveless played better on hardcourts and grass than now

Sam Sumyk, Victorovski, Rodriguez are all better coaches than Hogsted , sadly but it's Masha's opponent's advantage

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #23
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

how long has it been since maria won a set against serena? i think it was 2008 in charleston. good effort in 2010 at wimbledon, lost tiebreaker and second set 6-4. maria won a three set march in 2004, lost in australia in 2005, and the 2008 loss on clay...how long after that did she take the time off?

win a set...the third sets are getting harder for serena.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #24
country flag fanofmaria

fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice

Good posts on the state of Maria's game. I'm glad I am not the only one screaming at the screen for Maria to change her game DURING the f'n game. Charge the net at least once Maria!!!
fanofmaria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #25
country flag Asanty

Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofmaria View Post
Good posts on the state of Maria's game. I'm glad I am not the only one screaming at the screen for Maria to change her game DURING the f'n game. Charge the net at least once Maria!!!
She did one time actually and it was pretty nice.
Asanty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #26
country flag GrafMariaPetraK
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of

Maria needs to work on her backhand down the line, don't know if shoulder has anything to do with it, but she just doesn't have the accuracy on that shot liked she used to, but hitting with a new hitting partner might help plus she needs to hit with more depth.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #27
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute

She needs to hit some moonballs here and there, more bhdtls and more than anything else MORE SHARP ANGLES

I already said it before: I saw her live several times, especially during training session (at RG a journalist friend of mine used to text me the training schedule of all players) and her hitting partner basically sucks
Rerun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #28
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsondan View Post
how long has it been since maria won a set against serena? i think it was 2008 in charleston. good effort in 2010 at wimbledon, lost tiebreaker and second set 6-4. maria won a three set march in 2004, lost in australia in 2005, and the 2008 loss on clay...how long after that did she take the time off?

win a set...the third sets are getting harder for serena.
Never mind taking a set. When was the last time she broke Serena's serve? She didn't do it yesterday, she didn't do it in Istanbul, and she didn't do it at the Olympics. Did she break her in Madrid? I can't even remember.

I agree with the points here. I know people get tired of others reiterating the same criticisms of Maria over and over. But all Maria would have to do is show some kind of progress, some kind of wrinkle, just some tiny bit of evidence that she's evolving and willing to do something different to help her game. Then we could talk about Maria's game in a more positive and hopeful manner.

But all of these losses play out in nearly the exact same manner. It's uncanny. The Li losses, the Kvitova loss at Wimbledon, all the Azarenka and Serena losses. The serve is unreliable, the DFs come at the worst times, her return game is subpar, conservative shot-making, mostly hitting to the middle of the court, blown BP and 0-30 and 15-30 chances, blown game points on her own serve, scared to move forward, and the errors off the ground that start piling up. She always talks about changing things up, only to trot out the same limited tactics every. single. time.

The thing is, though, even with these limitations, she still makes a TON of semis and finals! She keeps giving herself these chances, which is amazing. So just imagine how many more titles she could have won or could be winning if she had a little more variety and consistency to her game. She could be scary great, but I'm not seeing it happening.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #29
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
She needs to hit some moonballs here and there, more bhdtls and more than anything else MORE SHARP ANGLES

I already said it before: I saw her live several times, especially during training session (at RG a journalist friend of mine used to text me the training schedule of all players) and her hitting partner basically sucks
Hopefully Kiefer will stay for long, I think he's better than Volchkov for her.
Trih is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #30
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

She said she'll have another partner for IW (not Volchkov though)
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote