SemiPova returns to flop in Doha. GSM Serena 6-3 6-2. - Page 62 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #916
country flag Lord Choc Ice
Hot Messes Need Love

Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SemiPova returns to flop in Doha. GSM Serena 6-3 6-2.

GM is not a place to hang out when Maria's facing Serena if you're easily annoyed by trolls .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Lord Choc Ice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #917
Hot Messes Need Love

Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trih View Post
Guys, have you ever watched the H2H between Serena and all the other players than Maria?
You're talking like she's the only one Serena beats...
True. Very true, but Maria stands out as one who's faced off against Serena in a lot of important matches late in tournaments. It's a bit like Federer-Roddick. Federer owns lots of players almost as badly, but for some reason Roddick stood out as his worst victim.

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #918
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops Maellard View Post
True. Very true, but Maria stands out as one who's faced off against Serena in a lot of important matches late in tournaments. It's a bit like Federer-Roddick. Federer owns lots of players almost as badly, but for some reason Roddick stood out as his worst victim.
Vika too, but she gets a pass cause of US final where she did nothing except benefiting from Serena's choke.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #919
Hot Messes Need Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Vika too, but she gets a pass cause of US final where she did nothing except benefiting from Serena's choke.
Yes, that is a bit hypocritical that Vika takes less heat about her H2H with Rena.

But Vika also had the '09 AO match where she won the first set and had to retire, the 2010 Australian Open match where I think she was just one game from winning IIRC, along with the US Open final you mentioned.

Vika undeniably has been more competitive with Rena over the past few years and stands a lot more chance of beating her than Maria at the moment.

That said, her only win over Serena was '09 Miami, and that has a big asterisk. Maria's victory at the 2004 YEC is similar. But nobody can take away Wimbledon 2004. That is to date the only win without an asterisk between the two.

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #920
country flag Kim's_fan_4ever
The only girl in the world.

Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post
This match up is so perfunctory for Serena now, that she didn't even fully invest in playing anywhere near her best. She was coasting for the most part, content to let her serve do the trick when it mattered, and apply great width and length, which is the kiss of death for Pova. It's all too predictable the way Serena can exploit Pova's game. As soon as Pova's serving level dropped early in the first set, it was all over.

Pova can't match Serena off the ground any more, that much is obvious. Pova's groundgame in general has deteriorated off clay, and posters were right about how the emphasis on heavier spin and a more aggressive-grinding mindset has made her so vulnerable against Serena. She can no longer take her forehand early in high pace rallies, and the amount of spin she puts on the ball these days, means that the height of the ball generally is ideal for Serena to take big, profitable strikes, without any threat of being out-hit herself for any real period of time. Once Serena takes over the rally, it's all over.

This is a void rivalry. Like it has been for years.
You in Sharapova's forum? Are my eyes deceiving me?

GM is a kindergarten. I went briefly through the results thread and it's worse than I expected. Those Serena trolls seem to have nothing better to do in life but to hate on every single player who dared to beat Serena in the past, the latest example being Sloane Stephens. Well, sad to see that Wimbly final is still under their skin
Cheers AKB

As for the match itself. Maria missed too many shots to make it competitive. After the first 4 games it looked like she would have played a good match but then the inevitable happened. What I don't get is why is she not playing Dubai?
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #921
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

I posted in this thread by mistake. Ooops

I didn't mean to infiltrate you in your period of grief. My apologies.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #922
country flag SilverSlam
I-G-G-Y

SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
And yet if Vika didn't choke she would have won.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #923
country flag Kim's_fan_4ever
The only girl in the world.

Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I posted in this thread by mistake. Ooops

I didn't mean to infiltrate you in your period of grief. My apologies.
I knew there was something going on It's fine though
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #924
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

Maria

Serena leads Head To Head 11-2. Last time Maria won was 2004

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #925
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This match up is so perfunctory for Serena now, that she didn't even fully invest in playing anywhere near her best. She was coasting for the most part, content to let her serve do the trick when it mattered, and apply great width and length, which is the kiss of death for Pova. It's all too predictable the way Serena can exploit Pova's game. As soon as Pova's serving level dropped early in the first set, it was all over.

Pova can't match Serena off the ground any more, that much is obvious. Pova's groundgame in general has deteriorated off clay, and posters were right about how the emphasis on heavier spin and a more aggressive-grinding mindset has made her so vulnerable against Serena. She can no longer take her forehand early in high pace rallies, and the amount of spin she puts on the ball these days, means that the height of the ball generally is ideal for Serena to take big, profitable strikes, without any threat of being out-hit herself for any real period of time. Once Serena takes over the rally, it's all over.

This is a void rivalry. Like it has been for years.
I know you like to pound away with this theory that Maria's game is at about 30% of its peak level, but it doesn't explain why she managed to even make it competitive against Serena in 2010, when she was playing a fraction as well as 2012/13. Nor does it explain why she completely fails to put away the type of midcourt balls she was getting routinely against Serena yesterday, that she was slaughtering without fail the day before against Stosur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiercepova View Post
Maria's record against Serena dropped to 2-11. Maria said: "I'm certainly capable of beating a player like Serena. That's why I'm always eager to get better and make my game better in order to go out onto the court and beat her."

Maria Try harder next time Maria We'll always love and support you
Yup. I've said it before, but I really think she should see a sports psychologist. Even though she is as mentally tough as they come in certain aspects (fighting spirit, and her day-to-day resilience at shaking off setbacks), it's beyond clear at this point that she has a problem of wanting it so desperately and putting way too much pressure on herself in big matches, that she lets that pressure/anxiety suffocate herself and completely overwhelm her thinking processes.

I've NEVER understood why tennis players don't see sports psychologists more often -- they're common in most sports. Jessica Ennis, who is considered one of the most mentally tough women in sports right now, was openly chatting to her psychologist in front of the cameras right before she started the heptathlon at the Olympics last year. But for some reason, with tennis players there's just a stigma surrounding them -- and tbh, I can just see Maria being exactly the type of person who'd be too proud/stubborn to admit that she has a mental "weakness" that she needs help with.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #926
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops Maellard View Post
That's exactly what I thought yesterday, I felt like watching all the finals between Federer and Roddick... except I was always rooting for Roger
But really, the rivalry between Maria and Serena is felt as bigger because it's been going on since 2004 basically, even if Maria couldn't beat her for 8 years, every time there's a match between them it's a blockbuster while the rest isn't felt like that; only matches with Vika since 2012 because she has been a lot better, but she's still 1-11 with Serena. Not to mention all the others (Na Petra etc. etc.), people never talk about their H2H but it's like 3-6, 0-6, 0-4 and such...
Trih is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #927
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I agree with dsanders that Maria's problems are mostly psychological. Not that Serena isn't the better player because she is, but for Maria to be so totally dominated by her is not normal. Although Federer owned Roddick at least Andy won sets and was in some competitive matches with Roger. Roddick's problems weren't mental. Federer was just a better player. The only way out that I see for Maria is beating Serena on red clay. IF she would be able to do that (and it's a big if) perhaps that mental block she's suffering from might disappear.

Thank you LI NA

Last edited by Chrissie-fan : Feb 17th, 2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #928
country flag Munich

Munich has much to be proud of Munich has much to be proud of Munich has much to be proud of Munich has much to be proud of Munich has much to be proud of Munich has much to be proud of Munich has much to be proud of Munich has much to be proud of Munich has much to be proud of Munich has much to be proud of Munich has much to be proud of

Hopefully Masha will get at least one win over Serena this year
Munich is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #929
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

I agree with dsanders that a sports psychologist would do her good I was actually about to post that too because especially in this match if it wasn't for her brain getting in the way she had some solid chances However i don't understand why so many of you are so negative and it's not like the Serena phenomenon is something new. She couldn't even get a win against her in 2008 when she was arguably playing the best tennis of her career so that's nothing new really and even though the score didn't show it I thought it was really close it's not like she couldn't do anything against Serena but like Maria'd say she didn't take her chances when she had them. About Vika they haven't played yet this year so we don't know how that match-up will go but she beat her at the YEC and I think it'll be a lot closer this year. Also I think there are a lot of improvements to her game this year especially the serve and ROS and she isn't playing worse than last year so no need to lose faith i'm positive that the results will come in the near future.
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #930
country flag Abuttons

Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold

I had to leave at 3-3. Until then, it looked like Maria was heading to give Serena a good run for the money. Sadly, and once again, it did not happen.
Why is it that Maria finds herself incapable even to force Serena to a tight, battling match, I don't know. She has the talent, the will and the shots to give her a hard time. But when they meet, all this seems to almost disappear, and I'm afraid this might be a very difficult issue to solve (let alone figuring out how).
Hopefully, there will be better days ahead.
Abuttons is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote