Which top ten player gives serena the most trouble? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: WHO

Azarenka 22 16.67%
Sharapova 4 3.03%
Radwanska 4 3.03%
Li 37 28.03%
Kerber 7 5.30%
Errani 1 0.76%
Kvitova 27 20.45%
Stosur 21 15.91%
Woz 9 6.82%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #46
country flag Sloejelly

Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold
Re: Which top ten player gives serena the most trouble?

Sammie. Oh yeah, Sammie.
Sloejelly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #47
Trickle
Cetkovstan

Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute

Sam might have the most promising H2H but Serena has shown that she can give Sam a beatdown. She's done it twice actually. (Charleston 1&1, and Beijing 2&0) Serena has basically never given Li Na a beatdown, however she has given Na a bagel before, ironically in the only match where Li Na actually won. I guess you could say she gave Na a half-beatdown but that of course means zilch if Na ended up winning the match.

Li Na has the most overall competitive history (based on games won per match). She averages more games per match against Serena than any of them overall.

vs Serena : Overall Average-Games-Won-Per-Match

If you were to look at H2Hs merely since her comeback in June 2011, the figures are different... much to the displeasure of Maria who rivals only Errani
in terms of mugness against the entity Serena Jameka Williams.

Code:
Petra		11	2 meetings
Na		9	1 meeting
Caro		8	4 meetings
Sam		7	4 meetings
Aga		6.5	2 meetings
Angie           6.5	2 meetings
Vika		6.25	8 meetings
Maria 	        4.2	5 meetings
Sara            3	1 meeting
I added average games as a factor because even though Sam has the best H2H, she has demonstrated the mugility to succumb to Serena, where as overall Li Na will put up more of a fight. This question asked, which player gives Serena the most trouble? Even though a player has beaten you, you'd probably get more confidence going into a match against a player knowing you have pulverized them before rather than a player you never have (although in Serena's case, she has a bagel to seek comfort in).

Of course, these are just silly numbers which are probably skewed because certain players have faced her more times than others so don't take it too seriously.
Trickle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #48
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute

Love the numbers. They show what I've always thought: that Petra is Serena's toughest customer. We saw her boss Serena around for the first set and some of the third two night ago. Almost had Serena in tears at times. Unfortunately, Petra's not tough enough to finish her off, and Serena is far superior mentally. Nor would she have been in trouble even with Petra firing on all cylinders, except that Serena forgot how to serve in Doha.

I think Petra will take a match off her. I would love for it to be at Wimbledon.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #49
country flag Yoncé
On His Mouth Like Liquor

Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute

Omg that graph
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #50
country flag SunshineSlam

SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of

Since her comeback: Wozniacki on any surface except grass. On grass it would be Radwanska.
SunshineSlam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #51
country flag Alejandrawrrr

Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Vika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cetkovskán View Post
Sam might have the most promising H2H but Serena has shown that she can give Sam a beatdown. She's done it twice actually. (Charleston 1&1, and Beijing 2&0) Serena has basically never given Li Na a beatdown, however she has given Na a bagel before, ironically in the only match where Li Na actually won. I guess you could say she gave Na a half-beatdown but that of course means zilch if Na ended up winning the match.

Li Na has the most overall competitive history (based on games won per match). She averages more games per match against Serena than any of them overall.

vs Serena : Overall Average-Games-Won-Per-Match

If you were to look at H2Hs merely since her comeback in June 2011, the figures are different... much to the displeasure of Maria who rivals only Errani
in terms of mugness against the entity Serena Jameka Williams.

Code:
Petra		11	2 meetings
Na		9	1 meeting
Caro		8	4 meetings
Sam		7	4 meetings
Aga		6.5	2 meetings
Angie           6.5	2 meetings
Vika		6.25	8 meetings
Maria 	        4.2	5 meetings
Sara            3	1 meeting
I added average games as a factor because even though Sam has the best H2H, she has demonstrated the mugility to succumb to Serena, where as overall Li Na will put up more of a fight. This question asked, which player gives Serena the most trouble? Even though a player has beaten you, you'd probably get more confidence going into a match against a player knowing you have pulverized them before rather than a player you never have (although in Serena's case, she has a bagel to seek comfort in).

Of course, these are just silly numbers which are probably skewed because certain players have faced her more times than others so don't take it too seriously.
I definitely think the bottom chart is more indicative of where the top players are against her. I can already see the angry responses, but the Serena-Pova matchup is hugely misrepresented by including their lifetime results. That small stretch of matches where Maria won 12 games(Wim 04) something like 15(?) games(YEC 04) and 17 games(AO 05) are factored into the top graph, but considering they were 8+ years ago and she hasn't even come close to replicating these results, they shouldn't really carry weight in assessing where the top players are against Serena.

Based on Serena's game I'd say 2010/maybe 09 would be a good starting place overall. That was when her game became primarily based around her improved serve, became a bit more conservative off the ground to minimize free points given away, etc. It's mostly how she still plays now, although obviously there are technical differences, like being more aggressive with her groundstrokes(compared to 2009 where she got outplayed off the ground more than incidentally).
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #52
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Stosur . She has beaten Rena two times in different slams and she has a serve, enough said.
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #53
country flag longtin23

longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future

I love the fact that Na received a bagel but still won the match...

V.Williams Zheng Peng Zhang Pavlyuchenkova Cornet Larsson
Mladenovic Garcia Wickmayer
longtin23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #54
country flag RobinT83

RobinT83 has much to be proud of RobinT83 has much to be proud of RobinT83 has much to be proud of RobinT83 has much to be proud of RobinT83 has much to be proud of RobinT83 has much to be proud of RobinT83 has much to be proud of RobinT83 has much to be proud of RobinT83 has much to be proud of RobinT83 has much to be proud of RobinT83 has much to be proud of

Sharapova and Errani.
RobinT83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #55
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cetkovskán View Post
Code:
Petra     11    2 meetings
Na        9    1 meeting
Caro      8    4 meetings
Sam       7    4 meetings
Aga       6.5    2 meetings
Angie     6.5    2 meetings
Vika      6.25    8 meetings
Maria     4.2    5 meetings
Sara      3    1 meeting
That pretty much answers the question and in fact "tells everything".

PS: I'm getting curious how today's match result will affect Azza's "ranking" there.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #56
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm.....wow, Sharapova I guess gets more heat than Azarenka..because she got more hype back then as well. Vika never got any hype for beating Serena. Masha DID and so now that spankings are coming, she's to take the critics as well.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #57
country flag Jack.

Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute

The stats don't lie, who was the only top 10 playder to take 3 sets off Serena in 2012?
La Woz

Juan Martin Del Potro
Jack. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #58
country flag wtftennis

wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light

why isnt the correct answer in the poll? nobody!
wtftennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #59
country flag 雨傘

雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future

only player who ever really annoyed Serena that much was Capriati. I don't think any current player is a serious matchup for Serena anymore since Venus declined.
雨傘 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #60
country flag longtin23

longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future

Maybe you can also show who broke Serena's service game most in a match, which I believe it's an indicator as well. And I just remember Na cam bring the worst of Serena out. Like drawing three DFs in a row, maybe Na give an fierce impression to Serena which cause that!?

V.Williams Zheng Peng Zhang Pavlyuchenkova Cornet Larsson
Mladenovic Garcia Wickmayer
longtin23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote