DOHA SF: XEWTA No.1 Lord Sauron shows no mercy vs her enemy Sharapova 6-3 6-2 - Page 26 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 05:41 AM   #376
country flag crescentmoon

crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DOHA SF: XEWTA No.1 Lord Sauron shows no mercy vs her enemy Sharapova 6-3 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT2009 View Post
Rivalry?
Honey, it's not rivaly until she starts winning a few more match. Vika vs. Serena aren't rivals as well.
LOL, good points.
crescentmoon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #377
country flag Vincey!

Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DOHA SF: XEWTA No.1 Lord Sauron shows no mercy vs her enemy Sharapova 6-3 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asadinator View Post
Yes you are right. But Vika in tennis terms is still much younger than Maria, and if you follow trend she most likely will end up with more slams.

But yes I admit you are right in this case.

Still that is comparing Maria to Vika who is not a great player either. So why is Maria? She never really dominated the tour but has been near the top for a long time.
Well in my book, she won the career slam throughout her career (which is not finish yet but I'm not gonna assume anything) so it's on a good way to be considered one of the great, at least she'll be remembered to have done that with other things like being number 1 and winning the YEC etc... to be #1 she had to have dominated the tour a slightly bit don't you think?

You don't become number 1 with only 1 GS win. As far as I know Vika didn't win multiple GS the same year just like Maria didn't either. Vika last year in big tournaments she had 1 GS title,1GS final, 1 GS SF, 1 GS 4R and 1 YEC SF. Maria had 1 GS title with also 1 GS final, 1GS SF, 1 GS 4R and 1 YEC final. Technically Maria has one big final more than Vika when she beat her in the YEC SF. The difference is that Maria played less tournaments than Vika did.

Vika hasn't made any "trends" for herself just yet, good for her to have won 2 GS in 2 years but you could also say that it's 2 GS in 7 years (when she started to play 15+ more pro tournaments per season). You don't win by trend and you can't assume anything and by that judging who will be better. You can make numbers say pretty much anything you want. You can only judge with what they have now. Vika is only 2 years younger than Maria so I find it a bit dubious for you to say that she's so "young" and it's "early" in her career. Even if we'd agree Vika has a trend of one GS per year you would only add 2 GS which wouldn't make her any greater than Maria who may still add x number of GS to her count and you don't know how many. You're the one who said Maria should be ranked below Azarenka in terms of greatness lol, just pointing out that Maria is RIGHT NOW with all the FACTS that we know above her.

If you go back to the topic and talk about a TRUE GREAT, Serena was expected to have much more GS titles if you'd look at the "trends" she had shown in some spot of her career. It didn't happen tho for different reasons and we're talking about probably the greatest player of all time here. Just to prove that you can't base your opinion solely on "trends". Also Serena was the best player in the world but she wasn't #1 even with 2 GS titles, 1 YEC and 1Gold medal on her year end ranking, proving you that it's not because you're the YE #1 that you're necessarily the best player or that you were dominating the tour.

"You're wasting your time,Go home and have a beer!" - Maria Sharapova-
Vincey! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 06:00 AM   #378
country flag Mikey.
Set me free, leave me be.

Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute

Disgust.
Mikey. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #379
country flag MaBaker
★Serbian Sensation★

MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, Maria...
MaBaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 07:08 AM   #380
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.K.B. View Post
you provide as much laughs here on TF (we're laughing AT YOU btw), as your fav does on court during her drubbings.
Ok and you provide as much foreskin as the rest of the world combined
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #381
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Maria stopped playing that kind of tennis a long time ago, she is rallying way too much these days which is good for clay courts but other than that

I want this Maria back.

Agreed, Maria plays pretty defensive against Serena, even when Serena gives her short weak balls.. She's just really troubled bu her mentally, I don't why she can't get over that block
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #382
country flag Lord Choc Ice
Hot Messes Need Love

Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT2009 View Post
Rivalry?
Honey, it's not rivaly until she starts winning a few more match. Vika vs. Serena aren't rivals as well.
What word should I use then? 'Rivalry' is the word you use when talking about two people in competition. A rivalry that is lopsided is still a rivalry (Hingis be damned ).

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Lord Choc Ice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #383
country flag Shivank17

Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute

Really, Maria was just too tentative, just hitting in the middle for Rena to easily hit winners left and right, not to mention how many easy shots she hit into the net. There are lot of things she can easily change, but really hasn't been doing that ..

Career Grand Slam + Silver Medalist.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
Twitter: @Shivank17
Shivank17 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #384
country flag Tennisation

Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops Maellard View Post
What word should I use then? 'Rivalry' is the word you use when talking about two people in competition. A rivalry that is lopsided is still a rivalry (Hingis be damned ).
Well, according to the freedictionary.com, rival means one that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.
Tennisation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #385
country flag MrSerenaWilliams
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Maria stopped playing that kind of tennis a long time ago, she is rallying way too much these days which is good for clay courts but other than that

I want this Maria back.

The thing about THIS Maria is the fact that this may possibly be the best we've ever seen her. She won the first 19 sets she played that season and only lost 1 match in her first 25 (not including that AI W/O over Davenport in the semis). Her confidence was sky high, and even though her last match against Serena was a 1 and 1 drubbing, she was playing so well against everyone else that she went into that match thinking she could get the job done.

Maria hasn't won a tournament off of clay in almost 2 years. In 2008, she won the AO in straight sets. She hasn't won a TITLE in straight sets since Memphis 2010.

So, to be blunt, her problems when facing Serena have much less to do with Serena being Serena and more to do with the fact that Sharapova just isn't in the form that she was in when she was won those 6 sets in her career over Serena. She's got her own business to take care of before she can even think about beating Serena again.
MrSerenaWilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #386
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Agreed, Maria plays pretty defensive against Serena, even when Serena gives her short weak balls.. She's just really troubled bu her mentally, I don't why she can't get over that block
I believe that Serena played a big role in this mental block, Maria had chances to beat Serena many times and the latter always found a way to win yes Maria should have won in OZ semis, she should have won in Charleston, she should have at least take the first set in Wimbledon 2010. Mentally I think Serena just destroyed her, it's hard to admit but it's true.
Serena has won matches that hurt Maria more than she want to admit, not to mention the several matches she lost very badly.

The second part is that tennis wise, Maria is simply far from 2006 or 2008, since Hog came Maria's tennis became a lot less riskier, less precise she uses a lot of topspin she engaged herself in many rallies and against someone like Serena it's just not possible to play like that, she exposed her movement way too much she has improved on this area but still against such a big hitter like Serena it's not gonna cut it.
Her game is working against pretty much everyone and she could have won that title if it wasn't for Serena, just like YEC too but Serena is there and Maria seriously needs to think of a different approach to at least take a set off of Serena.

I need Maria to play Serena in Rome or FO just to convince myself that Maria's tennis on red clay can do sth more but if she happens to lose 3 and 3 as usual she can seriously think about changing coach or I don't know but sth new needs to be done.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #387
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops Maellard View Post
Clay Pigeon?

No wait...that's two words.

j/k
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 08:38 AM   #388
country flag Sgt.Timmykinz

Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute

Wow her bitter tweet was unnecessary, just accept the beatdown.
Sgt.Timmykinz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #389
Miss Atomic Bomb
Legendary

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Oh so the 'she was scared' excuse is going around. I thought she was supposed to be mentally tougher than Serena.. What happened? Girl had the nerve to cheat right in front of the Queen. That's not being scared,that's being out of your damn mind . What is with these clay clowns who think they have the right to throw all the rules out of the window and cheat the Lord?

Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #390
country flag Lord Choc Ice
Hot Messes Need Love

Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisation View Post
Well, according to the freedictionary.com, rival means one that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.
I looked the word first on Dictionary.com and it didn't say anything about equality or lack thereof . Even Dictionaries don't agree with each other .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Lord Choc Ice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote