Maria's problem against Serena Williams - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #1
country flag Maria rocks

Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of
Maria's problem against Serena Williams

I believe the problem Maria has against Serena is this: She is intimated so as soon as she steps onto the court she is 15-0 down before a ball has been struck. She looks against Serena like everyone else does against her. Rushed, Panicked and intimidated. She can Beat Serena but until she believes she can its not going to happen.
Maria rocks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 17th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #2
country flag Asanty

Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of
Re: Maria's problem against Serena Williams

Agreed, then back to 2004, she didn't think of any pressure, she just was playing her tennis.
And their game is always like one fire drives out another one and Maria keeps and keeps that aggressive style, but the problem is that Rena's fire is hotter anyway, that is way Maria needs to vary her game through the match, why Thomas can't understand that?
Asanty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #3
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

You should put an S at problem.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #4
country flag Maria rocks

Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asanty View Post
Agreed, then back to 2004, she didn't think of any pressure, she just was playing her tennis.
And their game is always like one fire drives out another one and Maria keeps and keeps that aggressive style, but the problem is that Rena's fire is hotter anyway, that is way Maria needs to vary her game through the match, why Thomas can't understand that?
I guess at 17 your more fearless.
Maria rocks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #5
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
why Thomas can't understand that?
thats why I m starting to doubt about Hoggy as a good coach
Rerun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #6
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maria's tennis in 2004 was way bigger than that, she was playing so fast at the time. Her FH was way flatter than that and everything else was so smooth Maria's tennis became way too passive she needs to find the lines, go for it and try sth and not hitting really big in the middle and expecting a short ball from Serena cause that's not gonna happen Serena can counter those big shots that Maria send to her, she can do more than that cause she can even redirect the ball where she wants so Maria basically just needs to find more angles in her game.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #7
country flag Asanty

Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
thats why I m starting to doubt about Hoggy as a good coach
On another hand Joyce was not able to do something as well...
Asanty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #8
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria rocks View Post
I believe the problem Maria has against Serena is this: She is intimated so as soon as she steps onto the court she is 15-0 down before a ball has been struck. She looks against Serena like everyone else does against her. Rushed, Panicked and intimidated. She can Beat Serena but until she believes she can its not going to happen.
Plain delusion focusing only on this. Like the Azarenka matches, AO SF or Miami final never happened (just examples from the last 12 months).
Her goal should be to be better player, and the results would come against EVERYONE. The way she is doing, mentally or technically/tactically, not looking that bright tho. Of course its still way better against anyone outside top5-10.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #9
country flag Craig.
My girl

Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavstry. View Post
Plain delusion focusing only on this. Like the Azarenka matches, AO SF or Miami final never happened (just examples from the last 12 months).
Her goal should be to be better player, and the results would come against EVERYONE. The way she is doing, mentally or technically/tactically, not looking that bright tho. Of course its still way better against anyone outside top5-10.
Yup.
Craig. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #10
country flag Tennisvampire

Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of

I believe a huge problem is in Maria's head, but her game is also like tailor made for Serena. Because, basically Serena is a better version of Maria when it comes to styles. The difference obviously being greater serve, ability to redirect balls better and more pace on those balls. What annoys me is that Maria seems to be so stubborn, she doesn't change stuff, she just tries to improve things that she already has.

Problems in her ground strokes IMO:
1. FH is too inconsistent, she puts too much spin on it, has problem redirecting cross court FH when a faster ball comes to that side, usually sending a shorter, floppy, easy to attack ball
2. BHDTL is non-existent 75% of the time, so she becomes too predictable while she hammers those CC BHs
3. Her return is pretty up and down (usually down); still, her BH returns are a lot better than FH returns; and what I mind is that she is sometimes simply too aggressive on the second serve, which results in producing a lot of stupid UEs on slow, bad second services of her opponents. And when she is not hammering second serves, she just returns them to the middle, it's like there is no golden middle

She needs to learn what controlled aggression is!

Serve has been pretty good for her standards post-surgery, so I'll leave that one.

And what I would personally like to see (which is not going to happen) is going to the net more often. It has always been a mystery to me why she approaches it only when she has to, and why she always goes for the drive volleys, when she has displayed more than decent "regular" volleys in the past. Plus we've seen how much of a liability that "favorite" shot became. I mean all those easy putaways that she nowadays knows how to miss on a regular basis (or she of course hits straight at her opponent) could be secured points if she finished them off on the net.

I don't know, I just hope she can change something, because this style can only take you so far in the long run, it fares pretty bad against the best players, and shows signs of inconsistency even against players she should not have trouble against.

Sorry for the rant, I was just pissed off after another beatdown against Serena, where she has done absolutely nothing to try and change it around.

Jelena Jankovic-forever

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

Bouchard and Dimitrov-something will become of you

Last edited by Tennisvampire : Feb 17th, 2013 at 02:24 PM.
Tennisvampire is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #11
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Serena is just better. Then again, Serena is better than anyone else, but she can still lose. That being said, when she loses, she doesn't play her best and versus Masha she usually BRINGS it. So obviously, Maria has no chance.

However, I'm upset that she gets a beatdown every time they play. She should go for her shots more, serve well, mix up her game and not be scared. But she isn't changing anything in her game vs Serena therefore the outcome is always the same
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #12
country flag BadgerM

BadgerM is a name known to all BadgerM is a name known to all BadgerM is a name known to all BadgerM is a name known to all BadgerM is a name known to all BadgerM is a name known to all BadgerM is a name known to all BadgerM is a name known to all BadgerM is a name known to all BadgerM is a name known to all BadgerM is a name known to all

Quote:
I was going to say I'm OK with her and Hoggy focusing on her game and gameplan against the rest of the field and pretty much ignore Serena (remaining bitterness from yesterday), but I prefer your way of putting it. Work on her game and mentality and the results will come hopefully, but it's looking dire right now after yesterday.
BadgerM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #13
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future

As i've said before, coaching has nothing to do with Maria's problems. Joyce and Thomas are well versed and knowledgeable in what it takes to be a consistent winner in this sport. It's all about Maria's stubborness and closed-mindedness when it comes to working on the weaker aspects of her game. It's inexcusable that a player with her credentials can't at the very least have a serviceable net game and off-speed game. And a kick-serve. And a willingness move forward more. Her game is way too limited and it gets exposed over and over again in these blow-out losses to top players.

I still can’t help but think back to the fact that Maria had a 2-1 record against Serena at one point and had match points to go up 3-1 head to head. It’s still seems like just yesterday.

You know, the irony of all this is that one of the big reasons why I became of fan of Maria’s in 2004 after Wimbledon is not just because she won that tournament, but because she beat Serena. I had been so disillusioned with women’s tennis for the previous few years because of Serena’s dominance. Time and time again I’d watch hyped players walk onto that court and wet their pants at the sight of Serena. I was so sick of it all. And then along comes Maria Sharapova seemingly out of nowhere. She was fearless, she wasn’t intimidated, and she walked onto that court, stared down Serena and beat her on the biggest stage there is. It was awe-inspiring. I said to myself, “Finally, I’ve found my champion!” If she could do something like that at age 17, then there’s no limit to what she can do in the years to come. This was going to be an amazing rivalry!

And now here we are all these years later talking about 10 straight losses to Serena. Maria has become the very kind of player that used to aggravate me back in those days. Someone who wilts, panics, and collapses the moment they see Serena. It’s just sad.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #14
country flag yashwanth

yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all

Quote:
I agree with you only till the last sentence. Way better is too much in my opinion. If she is way better atleast she would have repeated her AO-2012 result if not better. The way she lost to Li I dont think she is way better. She is little better than Top 5-10 bar Kvitova and Li eventhough she has better record against them.
yashwanth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #15
country flag yashwanth

yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
As i've said before, coaching has nothing to do with Maria's problems. Joyce and Thomas are well versed and knowledgeable in what it takes to be a consistent winner in this sport. It's all about Maria's stubborness and closed-mindedness when it comes to working on the weaker aspects of her game. It's inexcusable that a player with her credentials can't at the very least have a serviceable net game and off-speed game. And a kick-serve. And a willingness move forward more. Her game is way too limited and it gets exposed over and over again in these blow-out losses to top players.

I still can’t help but think back to the fact that Maria had a 2-1 record against Serena at one point and had match points to go up 3-1 head to head. It’s still seems like just yesterday.

You know, the irony of all this is that one of the big reasons why I became of fan of Maria’s in 2004 after Wimbledon is not just because she won that tournament, but because she beat Serena. I had been so disillusioned with women’s tennis for the previous few years because of Serena’s dominance. Time and time again I’d watch hyped players walk onto that court and wet their pants at the sight of Serena. I was so sick of it all. And then along comes Maria Sharapova seemingly out of nowhere. She was fearless, she wasn’t intimidated, and she walked onto that court, stared down Serena and beat her on the biggest stage there is. It was awe-inspiring. I said to myself, “Finally, I’ve found my champion!” If she could do something like that at age 17, then there’s no limit to what she can do in the years to come. This was going to be an amazing rivalry!

And now here we are all these years later talking about 10 straight losses to Serena. Maria has become the very kind of player that used to aggravate me back in those days. Someone who wilts, panics, and collapses the moment they see Serena. It’s just sad.
Then you have a new favourite today in Azarenka right?
yashwanth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote