Oscar Pistorius trial : Guilty on Culpable Homicide ; Not Guilty on Murder/PM - Page 10 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 06:04 AM   #136
country flag delicatecutter

delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oscar Pistorius 'shoots girlfriend'

Do they have the death penalty in South Africa? For some reason I doubt it even though it's apparently so bad the wealthy can't walk on the streets outside of their gated homes.

Suicide Champion: 2013 Miami; 2012 Doha; 2011 Dubai; 2010 Indian Wells, Bad Gastein; 2008 Melbourne, New Haven, Prague; 2007 Toronto
PAW Champion: 2012 Tokyo, Moscow; 2011 Roland Garros; 2010 Bali, Portoroz
TT Doubles Champion (with Djezonfly): 2012 Melbourne, 2011 Estoril
My Twitter
delicatecutter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #137
country flag Qrystyna

Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatecutter View Post
Do they have the death penalty in South Africa? For some reason I doubt it even though it's apparently so bad the wealthy can't walk on the streets outside of their gated homes.
Nope, the death penalty was outlawed around 1997 or so, I think the last execution was in 1989.

Personally, I don't find it as bad here as some of the people who posted in this thread, but that's just my experience of course. I'm always cautious because I know there's always the possibility. However, what some people also need to realise is that South Africa has always had a very high crime and murder rate. This did not just happen after the ANC took power in 1994. The difference is though, prior to that, the main objective of the police force in SA was to protect the white minority. Now that things have changed, we no longer live in that little bubble anymore.

Last edited by Qrystyna : Feb 16th, 2013 at 07:04 AM.
Qrystyna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #138
country flag Qrystyna

Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggly View Post
The neighbors called the police earlier in the night due to screaming between the two.
There's no "intruder" story.

He's in some massive trouble.
The thing is, the whole intruder story was never actually mentioned by the police as a possibility. It was only reported by the media, which they do almost every time someone who is considered a celebrity or more upper class and is accused of committing murder in their home.
Qrystyna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #139

delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGOAT View Post
Nope, the death penalty was outlawed around 1997 or so, I think the last execution was in 1989.

Personally, I don't find it as bad here as some of the people who posted in this thread, but that's just my experience of course. I'm always cautious because I know there's always the possibility. However, what some people also need to realise is that South Africa has always had a very high crime and murder rate. This did not just happen after the ANC took power in 1994. The difference is though, prior to that, the main objective of the police force in SA was to protect the white minority. Now that things have changed, we no longer live in that little bubble anymore.
I adore you. Thanks for answering my question.

Suicide Champion: 2013 Miami; 2012 Doha; 2011 Dubai; 2010 Indian Wells, Bad Gastein; 2008 Melbourne, New Haven, Prague; 2007 Toronto
My Twitter
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #140
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranfurly View Post
Welcome to the backlash of a post aparteid South Africa and the consequences of social degradation, again thank the ANC for such consequences, Madiba would be pretty guttered at how is "Rainbow nation" has progressed, worse than what it has ever been. Need someone like Helen Zille to steady the ship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ys View Post
Well, it took his mentor Mugabe 20 years to ruin once prosperous Zimbabwe and turn it from breadbasket of Africa into shit-eating hungry nation. South African 20 years of black rule are nearly up. By Zimbabwean standards you are actually doing really well.
Wow, well let's just return SA back to an apartheid nation-- that'll keep other white athletes from killing their girlfriends
Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #141
country flag ranfurly

ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
Wow, well let's just return SA back to an apartheid nation-- that'll keep other white athletes from killing their girlfriends
That's not what my post indicated at all (or what I feel), so I'll stop you right there. and that was the final part of what I had written, which shows an element of the paranoia that people now live in for their own safety, and considerably more since the end of apartheid era, and this is for all people of South Africa.
ranfurly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #142
country flag ranfurly

ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
I never learnt how to ride a bike till I moved to the UK I think I left the house to go to the park once in the years I lived there and the first time I walked down a street was when I was seventeen and in Cape Town. For exercise I just used to swim all the time, good old pool.
I did my swimming out at a old salt water pool in Camp Bay, and played school hockey for Swartland (back when we were living up in Malmesbury) and before leaving I eventually started biking during the day

Quote:
I don't understand how blinded the nation can be. What is it about someone who thinks showering after sex prevents HIV? Fucking idiot. COPE summed it up pretty well by saying that Zuma can't use African tradition to justify his promiscuity anymore, what with his six wives and his fiancee who he actually paid cattle for.
The amount of hatred they (particularly Malema) spew for white people is ridiculous too, particularly Afrikaners. Just because the apartheid happened doesn't mean it's okay to start doing exactly the same thing but in reverse.
With every class, there is always clowns, it's thugs like him who halt the process of the ANC's original plans for a rainbow nation, it's no wonder why it's going the way it is.

Quote:
My dad once challenged someone who stole the spare tire from his car right in front of him. My mom was furious because he could've been killed, and luckily he wasn't harmed. I know too many people who have been in the process of getting robbed and they challenge the robbers and get stabbed or shot. One guy got tortured and set on fire.
Not many people realise that Winnie Mandela used to engage in tyre killings, which is pouring petrol on someone and then placing a tyre over their necks and setting them a light....

We've had people in our back flat (used for Ouma) when dad came home he threatened to shoot their heads, but instead bounded them and called a few of the adjacent farm owners and they took them somewhere.....to be honest, I don't know what happened to them, people don't believe me when I tell them

Quote:
It really doesn't surprise me that Pistorius had all the weapons nearby him. If your average South African has a gun by their bedside, then it's no surprise that a celebrity does. Pair that with the fact that he's a double amputee and it's no wonder he was so paranoid. That's why the idea of him thinking it was a break in is, IMO, a viable one. It may not be what actually happened, but that sort of thing does happen. You don't shoot a burglar in SA to injure them. You shoot to kill them because if you're not careful then they'll kill you. He's shown his paranoia before through his tweets, so if he did think it was a burglar then it doesn't surprise me this is the result. Somehow managed to swing that post back on topic
I tend to agree with you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
ranfurly you're ruining it for me with your depiction of your neighborhood.

How am I gonna continue to buy a bottle of Stellenbosch from my local grocery here in Yurop, if you keep telling me that it's origin is not some idyllic valley under a permanent blue sky (my fantasy) but but a sorry ass place where no one is walking on the streets but everyone is rushing to their houses with their cars while ducking and clutching their sidearms?
The winelands are beautiful, places like stellenbosch, paarl, Doorms, ceres still have amazing vinyards, and really beautiful surroundings, crime in these towns are lower than your larger cities, and you would probably be fine as a tourist, though always be aware.

You are more likely to see workers striking for higher wages on the streets. Just don't venture into the townships.

Quote:
Well.... as someone who still lives here, I can say my experience hasn't been as bad as others who are posting here. But who knows, maybe I am just jaded to the whole thing. I do know I am a very cautious person.... but at the same time, I do have a life - I don't dodge bullets every time I leave the house. I live by myself, I have no problems walking around my neighbourhood (just not after dark). I do remember one time on Long Street (one of the main streets in the inner city of Cape Town), I had some teenage beggar following me around who then managed to corner me and threaten me: "I'm going to take out my knife and stab you if you don't give me all your rands!" - but I knew, if he really had a knife he would have already had it out, and he wasn't much bigger than I (I'm not a very big girl), so I just brushed him aside. I was definitely lucky that day, and it was the last time I ever ventured down Long Street by myself.
You're one of the lucky ones, though in saying that, as much as I love South Africa, you ask anyone, and someone has a story to tell, or knows of a killing or a murder or friends of a friend who was a number of the plaasmoordres. The times I have been back, I havn't had alot of issues, beggars etc,

I was questioned at JR Tambo, and had my Fleece Jacket taken from me (search inside for drugs) and never got it back...I know better not to even ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brena View Post
To me, it sounds it's very nice if you're rich and don't value poor peoples' lives too much.
Then again, it could be said for the rest of the planet, I guess.
If you're rich, then you can live in a nice neighborhood, white majority communities with good security, but for many you're on the inside looking out, this is why alot of South Africans who have a little bit of money to them are now emigrating, because it's not a place to raise a family or how to live.

Some places, it's like being a prison in your own home, other places you just have be highly cautious, you never know, the next time you step out of your gate may be your last.
ranfurly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #143
country flag gentenaire

gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tragic, but ..
In most cases we get what we are looking for.
I am sure they've been together long enough for her to know what to expect from him. Yet she ignored the signs.
As Russian classic put it, there is almost never a punishment without a guilt.
They'd been together for only three months.
Of course, it's the woman's fault. Isn't it always?
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #144
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tragic, but ..
I am sure they've been together long enough for her to know what to expect from him. Yet she ignored the signs.
am i in the twilight zone?? This thread is just excruciating
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #145
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post

It really doesn't surprise me that Pistorius had all the weapons nearby him.
What it surprises me is that rich people still lives in South Africa and does not leave for Australia or UK. I feel my freedom and security would be more important than the love for my country

It may sound totally random but now I understand why that hot guy from Muriel's Wedding wanted an Aussie to marry in order to get Australian citizenship I never understood until now, in my total ignorance I thought South Africa and Australia would be very much alike, I guess Cape Town is just an oasis in SA which does not represent the country at all. These stories you guys tell are absolutely terrifying... Thanks for sharing them
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #146
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I had some teenage beggar following me around who then managed to corner me and threaten me: "I'm going to take out my knife and stab you if you don't give me all your rands!" - but I knew, if he really had a knife he would have already had it out, and he wasn't much bigger than I (I'm not a very big girl), so I just brushed him aside.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #147
country flag spiceboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwiny Tyeka Cwer View Post
I didn't know you were so racist ys.
He's Russian, isn't he? People bitch about Spanish or Italians but Russian and Japanese levels or racism are ridiculous...

Quote:
Tragic, but ..
Tipically fascist point of view. In western world we say In dubbio pro reo (from Latin). That "almost never" invalidates that Russian classic saying; if there is just one person punished without a guilt it is enough to trash that system.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #148
country flag currie84

currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future

Quote:
And to think so many people were rooting for him during the Olympics and were touched by his story. This is a travesty.
People still root for Ray Lewis after he killed two people.
currie84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by currie84 View Post
People still root for Ray Lewis after he killed two people.
I was not familiar with this case, but it doesn't look like anyone was convicted for killing anybody.

My Twitter
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #150
country flag Monzanator
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was not familiar with this case, but it doesn't look like anyone was convicted for killing anybody.
Yeah, but he paid off families of the two victims. If he was innocent why did he pay all that money? I just love these out-of-court settlements. Money buys you freedom
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent 2012; (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14, Washington '14
Monzanator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote