The Return Cometh: Petra Kvitova - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: The return cometh?

Yes 31 58.49%
No 22 41.51%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #31
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Return Cometh: Petra Kvitova

No!!!

Not with that serve, mentality, work ethic and team she currently currently possesses.

No matter how far she goes in future tournaments this year (including the majors), she's still gotta ways to go--to straighten one, some or all of those things out, to play with more consistency and advance deep.

Hopefully, it come sooner than later, if at all.

Nonetheless, it was nice to see some Petra-like Tennis in bits.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #32
country flag Sisyphus

Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully. Someone needs to send Serena into retirement.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #33
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

She needs to replace Aga in the Top 4 ASAP
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #34
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see anything different today than anything she's shown over the past 14 months. She's always going to be streaky. It's impossible to play the kind of tennis she does for consistently for long stretches; hell, you could argue that Serena couldn't even do that at her peak.
Jane Lane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #35
country flag Sisyphus

Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreiter View Post
She needs to replace Aga in the Top 4 ASAP
No. She needs to replace this random Russian ball basher.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #36
country flag AndreConrad

AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute

It is impossible to know. She is having a good tournament. That's great and can do wonders for her confidence. For her sake I hope she is climbing back, but can't vote yes or no. As usual people on TF are trying to jump a gun.
Bally, Rest In Peace!
AndreConrad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #37
country flag oh yeah i guess

oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of

This is somewhat ... premature.
oh yeah i guess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #38
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AureaLibertas View Post
No. She needs to replace this random Russian ball basher.
The only thing random about the Top 4 is how someone as useless as Aga is a part of it. Go away.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #39
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Lane View Post
I didn't see anything different today than anything she's shown over the past 14 months. She's always going to be streaky. It's impossible to play the kind of tennis she does for consistently for long stretches; hell, you could argue that Serena couldn't even do that at her peak.
If you didn't see her do anything better THIS match (or somethings she hadn't done well at all), in numerous matches over at least the past 6 months, then--unfortunately you're either blind or pre-destined to a certain opinion of her. No offense/sorry.

If anything, one can argue some of the things she did/showed today (minus her serve), can bring her back to some level of consistency, not the opposite or the current under achieving norm/standard. Petra hasn't played even close to first 3/4 of 2012 standards for example, so far this year.

So what you said was absolutely ridiculous. And I'm somebody that just said, 'No (to the question), she's got plenty of things to do, to get her act together', who's not yet convinced.

Nonetheless, I like some of the things I saw. And some of them, I hadn't seen all year. She's just got to build on them, from here. The rest is up to Petra and wacky team of misfits.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #40
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
If you didn't see her do anything better THIS match (or somethings she hadn't done well at all), in numerous matches over at least the past 6 months, then--unfortunately you're either blind or pre-destined to a certain opinion of her. No offense/sorry.

If anything, one can argue some of the things she did/showed today (minus her serve), can bring her back to some level of consistency, not the opposite or current norm/standard.

Nonetheless, what you said was absolutely ridiculous. And I'm somebody that just said, 'No (to the question), she's got plenty of things to do, to get her act together'.
I like Petra.

We all know what she's capable of doing, and she showed that for a set and a half. Take the game in which she got broken at *34 in the second set. She was cruising until that point on serve and inexplicably missed five serves in a row for no reason which took her from 15-0 to 15-30 and a second serve.

She's still not as fit as she could be. She still makes bad errors and questionable decisions. She still goes on walkabouts. She was lucky against Petrova in the sense that Petrova has the capability to be even more streaky and more negative than Petra herself.

While some of this was promising, this match was no different than some of the other matches she's lost recently except the quality of opponent. She hasn't played a full match at even an keeled level, and I'm not talking flashy, world beating level, since early 2012.

And no, emoticons don't make you should any smarter.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #41
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of

JarkaFish I'm sorry but you need to ban yourself for even thinking about creating this thread.

Unless it was meant to be a jinx, in that case award yourself a medal.
binky-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #42
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you even see her today? Petra is as out of shape and slow as she has been since she started struggling. Nothing was different today. The only difference was today she was zoning and things were working great for a couple sets. The very nature of her game makes her predisposed towards random matches where all her shots are landing on the line and can beat anyone. This type of great play is not the same as the type of great play which took her to her Wimbledon title, because the latter was built off of improved fitness and point construction. The fitness being the main point. And until she gets that back then she will still be prone to struggles like she has been over the past year, with a very great matches sprinkled here and there.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #43
country flag Jane Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
Did you even see her today? Petra is as out of shape and slow as she has been since she started struggling. Nothing was different today. The only difference was today she was zoning and things were working great for a couple sets. The very nature of her game makes her predisposed towards random matches where all her shots are landing on the line and can beat anyone. This type of great play is not the same as the type of great play which took her to her Wimbledon title, because the latter was built off of improved fitness and point construction. The fitness being the main point. And until she gets that back then she will still be prone to struggles like she has been over the past year, with a very great matches sprinkled here and there.
All of this.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #44
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Lane View Post
I like Petra.

We all know what she's capable of doing, and she showed that for a set and a half. Take the game in which she got broken at *34 in the second set. She was cruising until that point on serve and inexplicably missed five serves in a row for no reason which took her from 15-0 to 15-30 and a second serve.

She's still not as fit as she could be. She still makes bad errors and questionable decisions. She still goes on walkabouts. She was lucky against Petrova in the sense that Petrova has the capability to be even more streaky and more negative than Petra herself.

While some of this was promising, this match was no different than some of the other matches she's lost recently except the quality of opponent. She hasn't played a full match at even an keeled level, and I'm not talking flashy, world beating level, since early 2012.

And no, emoticons don't make you should any smarter.
Good points/response overall. Cause on the whole, I felt the same way and agreed with your premise--right after the match ("promising, but no different"; just found a different way to lose). Agreed. And her serve, which let her down today (as the past 6 months), has historically been a very dependable weapon for Petra. The low first serve % and DF is a relatively new occurrence for her. And Petra has always won cheap points off her serve, and historically her second serve was/has been very dependable and effective, even though out a match. So that's been relatively new occurrence for her.

I didn't see a lot of high risk tennis from Petra through out the match off the ground. She was constructing her points very well. Yes, in the second set she went walk about for sure, with more errors and some wild misses. But that was just a lack of focus and execution. Usually, if/when Petra's playing well and she has a middle set like that, she shakes it off and rolls her opponent in the third. She almost did today.

You can't win six titles in one year (or 10 if that's the number) at this point of her career, by just being a wild swinger. That's a misnomer about Petra. When Petra wins tournaments, she can be both solid and spectacular simultaneously. The two are necessarily autonomous. That's the difference. Give her more credit than that.

Nonetheless, let's hope she made some strides for consistencies sake (cause her current team, sure ain't gonna help her find it, unfortunately)? She appears to be searching, to lost at times. We'll find out the next several months, won't we?

The emotives, were cause I felt you MEANT what you said--not only outright, but to a finite degree as well. I was shocked. That's why they're available. Made sense.

Last edited by Excelscior : Feb 16th, 2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #45
country flag Roookie

Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute
Hype is back for a match she lost
Roookie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote