Doha QF: New XEWTA No.1 Serena Williams def. Petra Kvitova in an EPIC 3-6 6-3 7-5 - Page 19 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #271
country flag pedropt

pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Doha QF: New XEWTA No.1 Serena Williams def. Petra Kvitova in an EPIC 3-6 6-3 7-5

Glad Serena got the #1. She deserves it.

As for Petra, this has to an encouraging loss. I only watched the first set but she was pretty impressive. Finally moving her feet properly. Hoping she can build on that.
pedropt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #272
country flag oh yeah i guess

oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of
Re: Doha QF: New XEWTA No.1 Serena Williams def. Petra Kvitova in an EPIC 3-6 6-3 7-5

Good stuff By Serena to gain the #1 again, but I must say I have probably underrated the reaction that Serena got upon taking the #1 ranking, it's been somewhat substantial on here. I do get the feeling that the #1 ranking's going to be passed around a few times before 2013 has finished.
oh yeah i guess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 04:05 AM   #273
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm i think it would have been smarter for azderaki to have a bodyguard courtside.. anyway im glad everything went well!! Congrats to servebot! She can be glad kvitova choked away a nice lead in the deciding set
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 04:18 AM   #274
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Doha QF: Serena Williams survives 2011 Kvitova 3-6 6-3 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 8 View Post
The look that precedes, "It's on!"

Way to come up, lil sis.

JN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 04:18 AM   #275
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Enfant Sauvage View Post
Thank you Vika

People on this board use the word "choke" too loosely. It was unrealistic to expect Petra to play at that level the entire match, when most are even agreeing it's the best she's played against a top player since YEC '11. Players like Kvitova who go for so much on every shot are always going to be in danger of playing a loose game. Besides, heading into the service game at 4-2, Petra was already serving at 44% for the set, and that's including all the games she won to go up 4-1 in the first place.

Just pulled up the match on YT, and help me out here: Where is the choke?

Serena's 4-1 service game, point by point
Baseline rally #1, Kvitova hits a winner. 0-15.
Baseline rally #2, Kvitova hits an error. 15-15.
Baseline rally #3, Kvitova hits an error. 30-15.
Serena hits an unreturnable 1st serve. 40-15.
Serena's big serve sets up a forehand putaway. Game Serena.

Petra's 4-2 service game, point by point:
Serena draws Kvitova out wide forcing a FH error. 0-15.
Serena nets a ROS. 15-15.
Serena's deep ROS draws an error. 15-30.
Kvitova's great first serve sets up a FH putaway. 30-30.
Serena's deep ROS sets up a FH winner. 30-40.
Kvitova's DF. Game Serena.
Similar story in the next game, went to deuce but Serena finally found some first serves when she needed them, and after that it was (in hindsight) a formality. I knew right away that if Kvitova wanted to win this match she would have had to win that game at 4-2, but she didn't, and she paid. Hopefully she'll take this as a learning experience, but calling it a "choke" just screams someone who wasn't paying attention to the match.

Maybe what you interpret as choke is simply not being clutch. Kvitova is a player of the type that can outplay anyone, but is rarely the one I'll put my money one when it gets down to the wire, 5-5 30-30 in a deciding set.
Great post as usual, and even greater points.

Btw...
Two words that are typically overused and misused on in this forum are ...

"Class" and "Choke".

Also, thank you for the match link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #276
Serenita

Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute

Wilson paying tribute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech1 View Post
"Jesus take the wheel"
Serenita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #277
country flag crescentmoon

crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
Great post as usual, and even greater points.

Btw...
Two words that are typically overused and misused on in this forum are ...

"Class" and "Choke".

Also, thank you for the match link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
From my point of view, after watching her match a second time, there was no chokes in this match. Serena upped her level of play a lot from the 6th game on in the 3rd set. Even a blind person could see that. The way Serena was fighting midway through the 3rd set on if she keeps this level of play up tomorrow Sharapova will win very few games.
crescentmoon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 05:13 AM   #278
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoon View Post
From my point of view, after watching her match a second time, there was no chokes in this match. Serena upped her level of play a lot from the 6th game on in the 3rd set. Even a blind person could see that. The way Serena was fighting midway through the 3rd set on if she keeps this level of play up tomorrow Sharapova will win very few games.
I'm in the middle of watching the match right now because I want to see first-hand where this so-called "choke" happened.

I truly believe that it's posters just not wanting to give credit to Serena, and so fabricate the "choke" scenario to feel good about themselves and their favs.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #279
country flag kjsulliv

kjsulliv has much to be proud of kjsulliv has much to be proud of kjsulliv has much to be proud of kjsulliv has much to be proud of kjsulliv has much to be proud of kjsulliv has much to be proud of kjsulliv has much to be proud of kjsulliv has much to be proud of kjsulliv has much to be proud of kjsulliv has much to be proud of kjsulliv has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Hmm i think it would have been smarter for azderaki to have a bodyguard courtside.. anyway im glad everything went well!! Congrats to servebot! She can be glad kvitova choked away a nice lead in the deciding set
You didn't even watch the match lmao. Petra didn't choke you piece of shit. Stay pressed Maybe your fav will get a win against Serena tomorrow for once in 8 or so years. Serena looks sick so maybe she'll have even a tiny chance!
kjsulliv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #280
country flag Sally Todd

Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute

It's great to see Serena back at the ranking she undeniably deserves, where ahe belongs, especially considering how much it means to her.

Better still that she did so in a strong well-fought match against a player who at full flight has the potential to beat anyone, including the previous #1.

I hope that Petra now realizes that it isn't impossible for her to beat Serena, and takes that knowledge onto the court with her at Wimbledon. She really deserves to be Venus's predecessor on grass.
Sally Todd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #281
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Serena

Back where she belongs

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #282
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Enfant Sauvage View Post
Thank you Vika

People on this board use the word "choke" too loosely. It was unrealistic to expect Petra to play at that level the entire match, when most are even agreeing it's the best she's played against a top player since YEC '11. Players like Kvitova who go for so much on every shot are always going to be in danger of playing a loose game. Besides, heading into the service game at 4-2, Petra was already serving at 44% for the set, and that's including all the games she won to go up 4-1 in the first place.

Just pulled up the match on YT, and help me out here: Where is the choke?

Serena's 4-1 service game, point by point
Baseline rally #1, Kvitova hits a winner. 0-15.
Baseline rally #2, Kvitova hits an error. 15-15.
Baseline rally #3, Kvitova hits an error. 30-15.
Serena hits an unreturnable 1st serve. 40-15.
Serena's big serve sets up a forehand putaway. Game Serena.

Petra's 4-2 service game, point by point:
Serena draws Kvitova out wide forcing a FH error. 0-15.
Serena nets a ROS. 15-15.
Serena's deep ROS draws an error. 15-30.
Kvitova's great first serve sets up a FH putaway. 30-30.
Serena's deep ROS sets up a FH winner. 30-40.
Kvitova's DF. Game Serena.
Similar story in the next game, went to deuce but Serena finally found some first serves when she needed them, and after that it was (in hindsight) a formality. I knew right away that if Kvitova wanted to win this match she would have had to win that game at 4-2, but she didn't, and she paid. Hopefully she'll take this as a learning experience, but calling it a "choke" just screams someone who wasn't paying attention to the match.

Maybe what you interpret as choke is simply not being clutch. Kvitova is a player of the type that can outplay anyone, but is rarely the one I'll put my money one when it gets down to the wire, 5-5 30-30 in a deciding set.

YES! The receipts NEVER lie!
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #283
country flag Israel

Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future

Petra! So close... Hope this won't take down her confidence again.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #284
Cookiecrusher

Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future

Had Rena lost this match QuarterRena would have made a comeback

Rena getting so many people pressed over a non-slam tourney result.

Petra's day will come eventually.

Djokovic Wawrinka Gasquet del Potro

Also good luck to Jankovic, Vesnina, Stosur, Pennetta, Kerber and Halep
Cookiecrusher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #285
country flag ZeroSumGame

ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future

Kvitova never choked, her play didn't amount to a choke, she played great ...the problem is she was facing the greatest female tennis player in the 21st Century. She didn't choke she was beaten fair and square like Serena did with;
1) Sharapova 2005 AO SF
2) Dementieva 2009 Wimby SF (I love how Serena denied her every freaking opportunity to win a slam, feels delicious that her fan is perennially seething in this forum, love it )

...“I love to play, I love to win. I love holding up trophies ... I love the challenge and I love people saying what I can't do and proving them wrong.” SW
ZeroSumGame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote