Margaret Court Picture Thread - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #31
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Margaret Court Picture Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
You can correct me if I'm wrong TV, but I'm pretty sure the 1973 WITC match was actually played in the fall of 1972. As a made for TV "classic" it was put a year ahead of when it was played so they could package it for TV.

None of that changes how good the matches were. For me the WITC match have some of Chrissie's best lobs ever-and of course Mags runs them down after they go over her head and she gets them back-only to have Evert drop shot her-LOL.

Court's win here is a trestament to her ability on the baseline. Funny how Court could win on slow surfaces vs Chris while Chris could beat her on grass.
Not sure when it was played Rollo - all I know is that Margaret was retired for much of 1972 and did come back just before the US Open. So it may have been played in 72 or may have been played in 73 and shown in 74 on TV. I am pretty sure I read in Court's book that she mentioned beating Chris 3 times in 73 and losing only the Wimbledon SF which she was disappointed about as it was her only loss in the Slams for the year - she mentioned she was recovering from the flu and a back injury and was therefore low on energy at Wimbledon.

Regardless, as you mention, these clashes between Court and Evert were all thrillers and some of my favourites of all time because of the lengthy rallies and contrasting styles and personalities.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 01:33 AM   #32
tennisvideos

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked up Daze's site for Evert results and looks like it was played straight after the 1973 USO which makes sense. And shown on TV in 74. Court was just coming back to the tour in the fall of 72 and most certainly wouldn't have been playing that well after a year off.

United States Open Championships (Aug. 27-Sept. 9; Forest Hills, NY, grass, seeded 3): 1R def. Rayni Fox 6-3, 6-3; 2R def. Marita Redondo 6-2, 6-2; 3R def. Julie Anthony 6-4, 6-4; QF def. Rosemary Casals [6] 6-1, 7-5; SF lost to Margaret Court [2] 7-5, 2-6, 6-2

World Invitational (Sept. 9-11; Hilton Head, SC, hard): 1R. def. Billie Jean King 4-6, 7-6, 6-1; lost to Margaret Court 6-4, 6-7, 6-2
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #33
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just looked up Daze's site for Evert results and looks like it was played straight after the 1973 USO which makes sense. And shown on TV in 74. Court was just coming back to the tour in the fall of 72 and most certainly wouldn't have been playing that well after a year off.

Thanks for checking TV My DVD says 1973, so I wrongly assumed it was 1972. Won't be the first or last time I get it backwards!

September in South Carolina can be super hot-no wonder Billie Jean and Margaret looked like they were dying in the heat. And with Chris's lobs to chase down it must have been torture-LOL.

I'd be curious to know how this event was viewed by Billie Jean, as the Riggs match was only a couple weeks away. The pressure must have been intense.

The Battle of the Sexes matc hwas 3 out of 5. Was King training for that possibility? Evert surely ran her more than Bobby Riggs did!

One thing I love about those WITC matches is how they interview the players on court DURING the match. King comes off as so calm and analytical (and this after splitting sets and blowing a match point!); Court's powerful body doesn't prepare you for her girl like sing-song voice. And teen Chrissie is just too cute for words. Throw in commentary by Pacho Gonzales and those WITC matches are pure delight!

Last edited by Rollo : Jan 16th, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #34
tennisvideos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Thanks for checking TV My DVD says 1973, so I wrongly assumed it was 1972. Won't be the first or last time I get it backwards!

September in South Carolina can be super hot-no wonder Billie Jean and Margaret looked like they were dying in the heat. And with Chris's lobs to chase down it must have been torture-LOL.

I'd be curious to know how this event was viewed by Billie Jean, as the Riggs match was only a couple weeks away. The pressure must have been intense.

The Battle of the Sexes matc hwas 3 out of 5. Was King training for that possibility? Evert surely ran her more than Bobby Riggs did!

One thing I love about those WITC matches is how they interview the players on court DURING the match. King comes off as so calm and analytical (and this after splitting sets and blowing a match point!); Court's powerful body doesn't prepare you for her girl like sing-song voice. And teen Chrissie is just too cute for words. Throw in commentary by Pacho Gonzales and those WITC matches are pure delight!
Yes it would have been torture for both King and Court to chase all those lobs from Chris ... I would have given up after 1 or 2 lol. It looked so hot didn't it! And to think they were able to talk while the match was still alive! Amazing. Yes, I loved Pancho as well. The only downside to some of the WITC footage is that the cameras are looking into the sun which is reflecting off the hard court so often it's very difficult to see the ball. Otherwise they would be awesome. But those clashes between Evert and King / Court are incredible all court battles and to think the first two sets in both were exactly the same - Evert losing 4-6 before fighting on for the 2nd set TB and then it was all to play for.

Yes Evert definately ran King around much more than Bobby was able to. King made Bobby look like a hack ... which he was at that age.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #35
davidjaan1982

davidjaan1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

In the US Open and WITC matches between Court and Evert, at the the end of the second set it looks like Court is tired and finished from all the running around. It is amazing that Court actually won the 3rd set in both these matches fairly easily. Maybe Court's strategy was to lull Evert into a false feeling of complacency!! People say Court's nerves let her down at crucial moments. Not in these 2 matches atleast, nor in the French Open that same year for sure... She stood up well to some brutal treatment from Evert in all these matches. I cannot think of any other player who could have withstood that and come out a winner. Have to tip my hat to Mrs Court.
davidjaan1982 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #36
tennisvideos

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjaan1982 View Post
In the US Open and WITC matches between Court and Evert, at the the end of the second set it looks like Court is tired and finished from all the running around. It is amazing that Court actually won the 3rd set in both these matches fairly easily. Maybe Court's strategy was to lull Evert into a false feeling of complacency!! People say Court's nerves let her down at crucial moments. Not in these 2 matches atleast, nor in the French Open that same year for sure... She stood up well to some brutal treatment from Evert in all these matches. I cannot think of any other player who could have withstood that and come out a winner. Have to tip my hat to Mrs Court.
Too true Davidjaan .. not many other players would have been capable of withstanding the assault from Miss Evert who was in great touch in those matches and her lobs were sublime.

I think people overplay the Court nerves card. Yes, she admitted it overcame her in a few critical matches eg. Wimbledon 62 v King, Bobby RIggs mothers day massacre and IMO 75 Wimbledon SF v Goolagong. But for the most part I think she handled her nerves incredibly well - she had to to have won 24 of 28 Grand Slam finals! No one has a record in the big ones like that. If nerves affected you badly you would have been lucky to win half of those finals. And to think that in some she came back from the brink to win a number of them eg. 64 French down match point to Turner, 71 Aussie came back from 2-5 3rd set v Goolagong to name a few. And the 70 Wimbledon Final v King was an incredibly gutsy affair by both ladies. Shows she was so MUCH MORE a winner than a choker. And this is also backed up by her career singles win/loss of 92% ...
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 02:34 AM   #37
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjaan1982 View Post
SO TRUE! No other player could have defeated Evert in that FO final. Even though Chris was still young she was easily defeating most other players on clay. No doubt Margreat had nerves of steel for most of her professional career. She and Chris in their prime together would have been awsome all court tennis!
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote