Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: the single greatest shot

serena's serve 194 53.44%
henin's single handed backhand 41 11.29%
graf's forehand 82 22.59%
seles's double handed backhand 14 3.86%
navratilova's backhand volley 8 2.20%
evert's backhand pass 8 2.20%
court's forehand volley 1 0.28%
king's overhead smash 1 0.28%
other 14 3.86%
Voters: 363. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #91
country flag tennisbear7

tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by doujyr View Post
was Maria the first to employ the lassoo forehand?
Seen Davenport and Pierce do it in the 90s.
tennisbear7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #92
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
And I have to disagree that Serena's serve is all muscle. She's got a beautiful and nearly impossible to read serving motion.
Agreed. It's a fantastic, natural action. But I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's the prettiest motion of all time.

Graf's FH was fug.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 01:19 AM   #93
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute

Only Serenas return could top the Serenas serve...
And Seles is more known for her angles than just her backhand
Direwolf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #94
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

Serena's serve is all muscle? Jesus ...........

Davenport, one of the best returners of all-time, said she hated playing Serena because Serena would toss the ball and could hit all 4 corners with the same toss. Davenport could never figure out where it was going.

That's not muscle - that's the best technique a woman has ever used. If it were all muscle, we'd see all the women as lumberjacks instead of Sharapova grunting ball bashing clones.

Justine's backhand looked pretty but wasn't as effective as shot as it was made out to be. Graf's forehand and Serena's serve are 1 and 2 but tough to say which one is the greatest.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 02:43 AM   #95
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
was Maria the first to employ the lassoo forehand?
huh? Pretty much every tennis player hits the lasso forehand at times.
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #96
country flag doujyr

doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
huh? Pretty much every tennis player hits the lasso forehand at times.
huh yourself. read the question.
doujyr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 02:58 AM   #97
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
huh yourself. read the question.
Quote: was Maria the first to employ the lassoo forehand?

Answer to that question: NO everyone does it.
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #98
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which of these is the Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis?

Quote:
i watched a VHS (recall that? ) recording i made of the graf novotna final the other day and there were an awful lot of ues, far more than i care to remember in rosy hindsight!
About 6 yrs ago I started buying Steffi DVDs and as I rewatched old matches and the unforced errors stuck out more to me than anything else. they aren't like the UEs of today with players going for shots and missing them, often times they were just routine shots.

The Seles Graf FO is regarded as one of the greatest matches but the first set and a half is nothing but errors- real poor play but they made up for that late in the second and all through the third.

Steffi deserves all the accolades and praise and she truly is the greatest player of all time IMO, but it's not because her forehand was perfect...it was a shot that could and did go awry and produce a mountain of errors. I only bothered to mention that because no one else ever has....lol. With all that said its still arguably one of the all time best shots- that in itself is a reason for it to go down as the best shot. Although I'm sticking w.my pick for Serena's serve.

Funny thing is if u asked Steffi if she could have Serena's serve but not her forehand she would say he'll freaking no- and if u asked Serena if she could have Steffi's forehand and give her serve she would probably smash her racquet over your head... the weapons that each player possessed was perfectly suited for their games.
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 03:47 AM   #99
country flag Brad[le]y.
Wingis <3

Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbear7 View Post
Seen Davenport and Pierce do it in the 90s.
Capriati and Clijsters did so as well.
Brad[le]y. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #100
country flag allezzzz

allezzzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Justine's backhand was a piece of art.
allezzzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #101
country flag SerenaSiren

SerenaSiren is a splendid one to behold SerenaSiren is a splendid one to behold SerenaSiren is a splendid one to behold SerenaSiren is a splendid one to behold SerenaSiren is a splendid one to behold SerenaSiren is a splendid one to behold SerenaSiren is a splendid one to behold SerenaSiren is a splendid one to behold SerenaSiren is a splendid one to behold SerenaSiren is a splendid one to behold SerenaSiren is a splendid one to behold

Yeah ryt Graf's overrated FH
which she can set because she was playing with a bunch
of Brie Whitehead's...
A 17 year old ImmatureRena without a serve and a FH
on par with her present arsenal Stomps GraFluke...
SerenaSiren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #102
country flag Passierschlag

Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light

Anke Huber's backhand crosscourt
there are several examples in this match
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHrzTI4bs98
Passierschlag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #103
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which of these is the Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stefwhit View Post
About 6 yrs ago I started buying Steffi DVDs and as I rewatched old matches and the unforced errors stuck out more to me than anything else. they aren't like the UEs of today with players going for shots and missing them, often times they were just routine shots.

The Seles Graf FO is regarded as one of the greatest matches but the first set and a half is nothing but errors- real poor play but they made up for that late in the second and all through the third.

Steffi deserves all the accolades and praise and she truly is the greatest player of all time IMO, but it's not because her forehand was perfect...it was a shot that could and did go awry and produce a mountain of errors. I only bothered to mention that because no one else ever has....lol. With all that said its still arguably one of the all time best shots- that in itself is a reason for it to go down as the best shot. Although I'm sticking w.my pick for Serena's serve.

Funny thing is if u asked Steffi if she could have Serena's serve but not her forehand she would say he'll freaking no- and if u asked Serena if she could have Steffi's forehand and give her serve she would probably smash her racquet over your head... the weapons that each player possessed was perfectly suited for their games.
I agree with you concerning that FO final. I saw it about a year ago on the Tennis Channel. What surprised me is how many errors Graf made. She looked like the better player as her shots were deeper and more forceful than Monica's for most of the first two sets. I really do think Steffi was lucky not to have to play a prime Evert or Court, who were more consistant and could move Steffi around the court. A prime Navratilova would give Steffi fits too, especially on faster courts. Steffi played in a weaker era than Court-King, Evert-Nav, or the Williams-Belgians 00-08 which is why she won 22 Slams and is overrated IMO.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #104
country flag doujyr

doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Quote: was Maria the first to employ the lassoo forehand?

Answer to that question: NO everyone does it.
#facepalm. i can't recall anyone from the 70's using it. so i say again read the question.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #105
country flag doujyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad[le]y. View Post
Capriati and Clijsters did so as well.
capriati used it? can't recall that, must have a look on youtube.