SemiPova returns to flop in Doha. GSM Serena 6-3 6-2. - Page 16 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #226
country flag BadgerM

BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold
Re: GOATpova returns to stay undefeated in Doha. Maria has arrived|DRAWS OUT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavstry. View Post
LOL. I remember when this happened. Laura

But then, we got this press conference gem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodkapova View Post
From Adal:

Q. Andy Murray tweeted that one day she will be world No. 1. What's your take on that?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Who?
Maria shading Murray

P.S. Pavstry./Tejmeglekvar I need to spread reputation, but if I could, I would goodrep all of your posts/tweets.
BadgerM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #227
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute

"Who?"
too bad I didn't discover TF yet at that time
Trih is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #228
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
So, basically, we need the fitness and stamina of today's Maria to go with the better precision, fight, and, dare I say, variety of 2004-2008 Maria. Then we'd see her go tooth and nail in some back and forth semifinal and final 3-setters with the likes of Serena, Vika, and Li Na, instead of seeing her get dumptrucked in meek fashion.

There's no question Maria is more than capable of going 2 and a half or 3 hours in a match if need be and not look fatigued. But she just errors herself to death before she can get any traction, so stamina and match pressure never even come into play. And, especially against someone like Li Na, extending a match is absolutely essential because she will crumble more often than not in tight situations. I want to see Maria do a MUCH better job at digging in against top opponents when momentum isn't going her way.
Yeah, really not. Obviously finesse is never going to be her strong point, but she can atleast occasionally hit a decent dropshot these days, which she never could've done in 04-06....she's always had an underrated lob though.

Also, I do think some people are guilty of overstating the gap between the "old" Maria and the current one. Overall I'd say 04-06Pova is slightly better than today's, but it's not as big a gap between them as some say, and there ARE certain things she does better today (movement as well as stamina, and I actually think there's an argument her backhand at times in 2012 was better than it ever was in 04-06). And I definitely don't think it's fair to say she fights less. Even in her worst losses over the past 12 months, it's not like she actually willingly gives up She's always been pumping herself up and trying to get herself going right til the end of her matches, even if she's still making mountains of errors. She might have less self-belief than she used to, but her will to fight is and always has been (except maybe a few matches in 2010) at pretty much the maximum possible.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #229
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenK View Post
LOL. I remember when this happened. Laura

But then, we got this press conference gem:

From Adal:

Q. Andy Murray tweeted that one day she will be world No. 1. What's your take on that?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Who?

Maria shading Murray
Oh, that was hilarious

(Although, I think it was later established that she must've just misunderstood the question, because, in the TF thread on this comment, someone pulled out "receipts" of a previous press conference where she was talking about Murray and obviously knew who he was )
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #230
country flag BadgerM

BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Oh, that was hilarious

(Although, I think it was later established that she must've just misunderstood the question, because, in the TF thread on this comment, someone pulled out "receipts" of a previous press conference where she was talking about Murray and obviously knew who he was )
Yeah. She probably misunderstood the question or was confused about who the reporter was mentioning because she has to know the big 3+1 in the ATP. I just prefer my fan-fic interpretation.

Anyways, I remember the wind being a huge factor in Maria's fuckery in this match so hopefully it's not too windy if/when they play. Bring it, Martha.
BadgerM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 03:11 AM   #231
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Yeah, really not. Obviously finesse is never going to be her strong point, but she can atleast occasionally hit a decent dropshot these days, which she never could've done in 04-06....she's always had an underrated lob though.
Gotta disagree. She's always capable of doing decent dropshots and dare-I-say, conventional volleys when she's not rushed. But knowing how dire her footwork is, especially when she's tired to prepare for these shots, she usually flops in the execution.

I think what I miss out of 04-06 Maria most, is the willingness to finish the points by coming into the net. Mostly her swing volleys, sometimes conventional volleys when absolutely necessary, and some sweet droppers and numerous flops when she's feeling creative

I love that she's conditioned herself so well now that she has the stamina and consistency to grind at the baseline, but I can't help thinking that it has instilled in her this false sense of security that she can fall back on out-grinding her opponents. It works on clay and against some of the lower ranked players, but she'll always have problems against Vika.
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #232
country flag gc-spurs

gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavstry. View Post
Haha I remember that tweet. Laura Robson can be pretty funny.

Bring on all the pretenders. Someday, WE WILL BE REMEMBERED
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversmith View Post
oudin is a great player she already beat maria i expect to do the same now
btw whos bolivia smith?
gc-spurs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #233
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by domon17th View Post
Gotta disagree. She's always capable of doing decent dropshots and dare-I-say, conventional volleys when she's not rushed. But knowing how dire her footwork is, especially when she's tired to prepare for these shots, she usually flops in the execution.

I think what I miss out of 04-06 Maria most, is the willingness to finish the points by coming into the net. Mostly her swing volleys, sometimes conventional volleys when absolutely necessary, and some sweet droppers and numerous flops when she's feeling creative

I love that she's conditioned herself so well now that she has the stamina and consistency to grind at the baseline, but I can't help thinking that it has instilled in her this false sense of security that she can fall back on out-grinding her opponents. It works on clay and against some of the lower ranked players, but she'll always have problems against Vika.
I agree. Even in her early days like 04-06 she could pull off a decent drop shot. She's always been pretty decent at drop shots and also running to retrieve drop shots as well despite being very tall.
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #234
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Anything other than a semifinal here would be disappointing.
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #235
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.M View Post
Anything other than a semifinal here would be disappointing.
Maria's perfect record will be tested vs Serena in the SF
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #236
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpova View Post
Maria's perfect record will be tested vs Serena in the SF
She has nothing to lose now that she's the third seed
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #237
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana R. View Post
She has nothing to lose now that she's the third seed
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #238
country flag Fighterpova

It's so difficult to follow WTA without ES coverage
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #239
country flag Asanty

Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpova View Post
It's so difficult to follow WTA without ES coverage
Yeah but I subscribed to Tennistv. Pretty descent.
Asanty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #240
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

IKR and the WTA decided to sell its rights to other TV channels the same year I finally acquired ES
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote