Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: the single greatest shot

serena's serve 194 53.44%
henin's single handed backhand 41 11.29%
graf's forehand 82 22.59%
seles's double handed backhand 14 3.86%
navratilova's backhand volley 8 2.20%
evert's backhand pass 8 2.20%
court's forehand volley 1 0.28%
king's overhead smash 1 0.28%
other 14 3.86%
Voters: 363. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #16
country flag Start da Game
Senior Member
 
Start da Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: pirru's heart
Posts: 3,500
Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
I agree with you that Henin's forehand is always overlooked, I think her forehand is actually more deadly than her backhand, but single-handed backhands always earn some extra credits it seems.
her forehand is definitely better than her backhand but it would clearly be second to graf's.......hence there is no point in mentioning it in this thread......her backhand is more relevant to this thread......if people think otherwise, there's always the other option......
__________________
tsvetana pironkova's no.1 lover

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #17
country flag Thirty All
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 719
Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Serena's serve is as overrated as her number of Grand Slam titles

Last edited by Thirty All : Feb 10th, 2013 at 06:00 PM.
Thirty All is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #18
Olórin
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,143
Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Why Court's forehand volley? Why not her backhand volley which was equally as effective.

BJK's backhand volley the stand out volley shot of the era, but Court was so solid on every flank that it's hard to single out one shot for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post
Serena's serve is overrated as her number of Grand Slam titles
In English, this doesn't make sense.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
From reality... this was Vikapower... back to you delusion.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #19
country flag Sir Stefwhit
Senior Member
 
Sir Stefwhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 5,843
Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
if people take a minute or two and patiently assess the times, the racket technology and other variables and then vote, serena wouldn't get so many votes......

graf's forehand hit with that old prostaff stick to me is the single greatest shot ever......that forehand had no answers......peak navratilova was left wondering on the court simply looking at the sheer precision and lethal force of that forehand......
One point I'd like to make to counter your argument my fellow Rafa fan (I hope he wins today btw..)-

The technology argument is easy to overcome. The same technology that Serena has available is the same that Dementieva, Hingis, Azarenka, Sharapova- and every other woman playing tennis has available to them. If it was simply a matter of putting the right technology in your hands then everyone would be able to serve like Serena. So it can't be as simply as that.

Even if Serena was limited with technology her perfect toss, disguise on the serve, and placement would make it a weapon in any era. It's just like when they credit our Rafa's ability to generate and use so much spin on his forehand. They want to give 100% of the credit to the technology but fail to comment that the same technology exist for everyone so why don't the others incorporate spin to the degree that he does. (And to be honest our beloved Rafa benefits more from technology advances than Serena does IMO).
__________________
STEFWHIT'S HALL OF FAME
Greatest Singles Player of All Time: Steffi Graf
Simply the BEST: Serena Williams [Proud MEMBER OF RENA'S ARMY]
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #20
country flag MsWilson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 226
MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

I agree with others. If Serena's serve is just a miracle of modern day racket technology, why isn't everyone else doing it? lol

Attempts to qualify her serve are futile, because others aren't pulling it off.
MsWilson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #21
country flag WonderFan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,199
WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Ivanovic's flat forehand 2006-2008
WonderFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #22
country flag Start da Game
Senior Member
 
Start da Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: pirru's heart
Posts: 3,500
Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencod16 View Post
Racket technology has nothing to do with it, because if that is the case, why is generally the womens serve nowadays is weaker than before. It is all due to Serena's motion nothing else. the thing about other shots aside from serve and return is you can go around it, with the serve, the opponent cannot do anything if it is firing. And graf in today's game wouldn't have time to go around her forehand because of the pace of the ball. And if Serena was playing in Navratilova/Graf era, she would have been more lethal with a serve like that, even graf's serve looked good during that era, which is still below Serena's.
graf is the best mover ever on a tennis court and she can be put in any era......

better rackets would add more spin and power to her already great forehand......

serving has gone down in women's tennis mainly because most of them have started investing more in training & fitness, groundstrokes and less in elements like serving, volleying etc......graf was still fitter than almost any player today and possessed an overall groundgame as good as anyone's......

legends are just something else.....you normally know when you see them......and graf is one......
__________________
tsvetana pironkova's no.1 lover

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #23
Olórin
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,143
Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWilson View Post
I agree with others. If Serena's serve is just a miracle of modern day racket technology, why isn't everyone else doing it? lol

Attempts to qualify her serve are futile, because others aren't pulling it off.
The technology argument is a complete non-starter. There simply hasn't been a big enough leap in racquet technology between Graf and Serena playing. The argument that can be used against Serena can also be used against Graf, she'd have trouble getting the pace and power she did in the wood racquet era, just as Serena would with her serve. And that's a hard cold fact.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
From reality... this was Vikapower... back to you delusion.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #24
country flag Sir Stefwhit
Senior Member
 
Sir Stefwhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 5,843
Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
her forehand is definitely better than her backhand but it would clearly be second to graf's.......hence there is no point in mentioning it in this thread......her backhand is more relevant to this thread......if people think otherwise, there's always the other option......
He's just making the argument that one-handed backhands generally tend to get more credit simply because of how they look (being one-handed). In a sea of. Lie red will always stand out just as pancake so rightly points out.
__________________
STEFWHIT'S HALL OF FAME
Greatest Singles Player of All Time: Steffi Graf
Simply the BEST: Serena Williams [Proud MEMBER OF RENA'S ARMY]
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #25
country flag hingis-seles
Senior Member
 
hingis-seles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 19,041
hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Seles had such a strong ground game that it's tough to pinpoint one defining shot, but I will say no one has ever hit those angles with that power consistently the way she did, before or since. The single greatest weapon I can think of for Seles was her mind, mentally she was a class above the others.

In this poll, I'll say it's close between Serena's serve and Steffi's forehand. What gives the edge to Serena for me is she can move the ball around the box, hit all kinds of serves and maintain such excellent disguise. As mentioned earlier, her service motion is a thing of beauty as well.
__________________
FUCK YOU, SEWTA.
[/size]
hingis-seles is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #26
country flag *Jool*
Senior Member
 
*Jool*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brittany, France
Posts: 44,231
*Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

While serve is such an important weapon on the men's tour, Serena is the only player who developped such a reliable shot on the women's tour (all time)

Graf's forehand is a pretty close 2nd in my vote .
__________________
CONCHITA-LINDSAY-MARY

KATA - AMG -
APS

Serena- Garcia- Hercog- KDK- Daniilidou- Puig- Muguruza...


*Jool* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #27
country flag Jack.
Senior Member
 
Jack.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dublin
Posts: 5,901
Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

The Woz's forehand and lethal volleys aren't here? Okay guys keep pretending they're not the GOATest shots ever.....

Please don't bad rep me..
__________________
Resident fan of the ever slumping Karolina Wozniacki.



Juan Martin Del Potro
Jack. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #28
country flag Israel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,981
Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future Israel has a brilliant future
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Graf's forehand and Serena's serve will stay at the top of the greatest shots for a while and the rest aren't really even close to that level.
__________________
Petra Kvitova - Eugenie Bouchard- Li Na - Julia Glushko - Madison Keys
Israel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #29
country flag Start da Game
Senior Member
 
Start da Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: pirru's heart
Posts: 3,500
Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNaNa View Post
The Woz's forehand and lethal volleys aren't here? Okay guys keep pretending they're not the GOATest shots ever.....

Please don't bad rep me..
actually i was considering woz's backhand moonball and errani's forehand moonball as options but refrained for some reason......
__________________
tsvetana pironkova's no.1 lover

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #30
country flag Sir Stefwhit
Senior Member
 
Sir Stefwhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 5,843
Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
serving has gone down in women's tennis mainly because most of them have started investing more in training & fitness, groundstrokes and less in elements like serving, volleying etc......graf was still fitter than almost any player today and possessed an overall groundgame as good as anyone's......

legends are just something else.....you normally know when you see them......and graf is one......
I'm not comfortable with people saying "serving has gone down" in years. I started watching tennis in the late 80s and I find it mind-boggling that such a statement can be said with a straight face- and it's not just you I've been hearing tons of people say that. Lets put aside technology for now because BJK, Court, and Navratilova all had top notch serves in their time. The simple truth was that for most women back in the day all the way up till the late 90s, the serve was simply a means to get the point started.

The players didn't have the mindset of winning the point from the very first shot, if anything serve and volleyers would serve out wide then rush the net to put the shot away to the open court. At its best, the serve used to be part of a 'one-two combo', it generally wasn't thought of or used as a weapon right out of the gates.

When the technology changed and players started being more aggressive on the returns it forced players to take more chances on their first serve. So it was almost out of necessity that players had to beef up their serves. I think we see more double faults now of days because of the pressure that returners put on servers. If players could simply spin it in with no worries of an opponent crushing the return they could all be as consistent and non-effective as the women used to be back in the old days.

You do make a great point that women don't take the time and attention to fully develop their serves when they get started and I won't argue that in general the women can do a much better job in that department because they are definitely lacking. I just make the argument that they aren't lacking compared to past players- they're just lacking overall....does that make any sense?
__________________
STEFWHIT'S HALL OF FAME
Greatest Singles Player of All Time: Steffi Graf
Simply the BEST: Serena Williams [Proud MEMBER OF RENA'S ARMY]
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios