Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 168 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #2506
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

It was notable how quickly the "Graf goes for the Grand Slam" theme took hold. Even before she won the tournament.

Tennis: Graf wins like a female Tyson
The Sunday Times
London, England
Sunday, January 24, 1988
SUE MOTT

STEFFI GRAF is now the undisputed women's heavyweight hitter of the world. The German teenager, delivering forehands like fiendish right hooks, vanquished Chris Evert in the final of the Australian Open 6-1 7-6, and her timing was immaculate. The occasion in Melbourne will surely go down in history as the first Grand Slam final to run indoors from the rain.

After just three games the roof was required to ward off a Melbourne shower. It was a first, even for Evert, who has faced more varied conditions than most in her 34 Grand Slam finals.

And she was clearly disturbed by the climatic change, not to mention the pace of Graf's forehand, and lost nine games in a row. Obviously watching Tyson pulverise Holmes on live TV during the 90-minute rain break had been a mistake. 'At 1-6 1-5 down. I felt a little bit like Holmes,' said Evert.

Graf, typically, had chosen Tyson for her role model, but when she was just two points away from a stunningly one-sided victory, the American roused herself from demoralised lethargy, and clawed herself back into the match.

Steely-eyed and determined, Evert began to scythe gashes in Graf's confidence with pinpoint ground strokes as she won the next five games in a row. The German girl's serve began to jitter, and Evert to assume that going-to-the-bank look, as Ted Tinling felicitously described the world's No 3 when she means business.

But a few flashing forehands later the revival proved merely a postponement. Graf won the tie-break with reasonable ease, seven points to three, untroubled by passionate pleas from the crowd to, 'Crush her, Chrissy!' As she won the second Grand Slam title of her career, it became obvious that the world's best women's player is made of uncrushable material.

'But she's human,' observed Evert afterwards, which may serve as some consolation to Navratilova and the pack now condemned to chase in Graf's springy steps.

What they may be less happy to hear is the revitalising effect this tournament has had on 33-year-old Evert. 'Steffi's number one, I'm number two... No, just joking,' she said with the sort of smile a Dobermann gives just before going for the throat.

'I haven't sunk my teeth into this year yet,' she said. 'But I would certainly like to follow up with some good tournaments after this one.'

We can now thankfully assume that the sugar-sweet era of shedding tears for one's beaten opponent is well and truly over. When Graf wiped her eyes before clutching the silverware it was for pure, undiluted joy.

'Do you realise you are the only girl in the world who can win the Grand Slam this year?' Graf was asked after the match. 'Oh, that's way too far ahead,' she replied, not meaning a word of it.

The remarkable thing about Graf is an absolute dedication to tennis that brooks no intrusion. Not even from precocious 13-year-old ball-boys, who gasp admiringly: 'You've got nice legs.' But Evert doubts that Graf's reign will be sufficiently supreme to culminate in the Grand Slam this year. 'She is favoured but I would be surprised if she won all four because all of us are still playing very well and are ready to challenge her.'

One thing is certain, no Briton will win the Grand Slam this year. But at least Jeremy Bates could bask in the temporary glory of being the first Englishman to reach the finals of a Grand Slam men's doubles since Roger Taylor won the United States Open with Cliff Drysdale in 1972.

The glow died rather sharply as the American pair, Rick Leach and Jim Pugh, dispatched Bates and his partner, Peter Lundgren, 6-3 6-2 6-3 in less than two hours. Lungren, the long-haired Swede who beat Pat Cash at the US Open last year, looked jaded.

All in all, Melbourne is delighted with its revamped, magnificiently housed tourament. Even Lendl, the man who hits the ball almost as hard as Steffi Graf, now accords it 'major' status. Australia may have its problems with earthquakes, UFOs, and the banning of full-strength beer at cricket matches, but Cash reaching the men's singles final against Mats Wilander has been the ideal fiery baptism for the brand new stadium.

The trends have been set for the year. Lendl will go home, snap at his German shepherds and wonder how on earth he can beat Cash at Wimbledon. Yannick Noah has vowed to renounce booze, cigarettes and parties, while his delightfully talented fellow-countryman, Henri Leconte, will be ruing his nights out at Melbourne restaurants where unwitting souls can die a 'Death by Chocolate,' according to the menu. Unlike retractable roofs, some things never change.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #2507

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

GRAF EYES GRAND SLAM AFTER WIN OVER EVERT
The Charlotte Observer
Sunday, January 24, 1988
Associated Press

Steffi Graf, the Australian Open women's champion, now has her sights set on winning the elusive Grand Slam.

Graf, 18, captured the Australian Open title and her second Grand Slam crown Saturday with a 6-1, 7-6 (7-3) victory over Chris Evert.

It was the first step on the long road to capturing tennis's four major events in one year.

The men's title was to be decided today when Wimbledon champion Pat Cash played two-time Australian Open winner Mats Wilander.

Graf, the 1987 French Open champion, realistically admitted winning the Grand Slam was a tough goal - but a goal she's firmly fixed on.

"It's a good way to start - the best I could have," she said after beating Evert.

"To win here is very important for the whole year, but I have won just one tournament. It's a long way ahead to start talking about winning a Grand Slam."

Graf's coach, Pavel Slozil, agreed with her.

"I think there are still players who have a good chance of beating her on grass," said Slozil, formerly a member of the men's tennis tour.

"To win a Grand Slam is a major achievement. There have been so many players with plenty of ability who failed to do it.

"Bjorn Borg came so close to winning a Grand Slam but never made it. He was probably the best player of all time, and yet there were so many hurdles in his way."

Evert, 33, winner of 18 Grand Slam events, is a good source to judge Graf's potential.

"I would be surprised if she won a Grand Slam - especially this year," Evert said. "I would be surprised if anybody won it - the competition is getting tougher.

"Steffi is (ranked) No. 1. But there are five or six players who are all very close behind.

"She's a front-runner. She plays better when she's ahead. It's hard to tell how she's going to handle the pressure. None of the players have got her into that situation."

Evert said she was impressed by the form of Pam Shriver during this tournament, and cited Gabriela Sabatini, Hana Mandlikova, and No. 2 Martina Navratilova as among the players capable of beating Graf.

"I've said it before: playing Steffi is different from playing anyone else," she said.

"There are a lot of great serve-and-volley players, but there hasn't been anyone like Steffi - except maybe Tracy Austin. And even she didn't hit the ball that hard.

"The more I play her, the more I'm going to get used to her game."

The last woman to achieve a calendar year Grand Slam was Margaret Court of Australia in 1970. Navratilova completed a noncalendar year Grand Slam by winning the 1984 French Open after winning Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and the Australian Open in 1983.

Against Evert, Graf won the first set handily and led 5-1 in the second set, before Evert rallied to win five straight games. Graf recovered to win the next game and force the tiebreaker, which she won impressively.

The match, at the new National Tennis Center, lasted only one hour 11 minutes and was the first Grand Slam final to be played indoors.

"I didn't have too much difficulty with the roof and lights," Graf said, "but she didn't seem to be into it."

The victory was Graf's fifth in a row over Evert in straight sets, although Evert still leads their series 6-5. It was Evert's sixth Australian Open final, but she has won only two.

U.S. team Rick Leach and Jim Pugh, currently the winningest doubles pair in tennis, continued their remarkable success, capturing the men's doubles title by defeating Jeremy Bates and Peter Lundgren 6-3, 6-2, 6-3.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #2508
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Anthropic View Post
"Peter had asked me if I could practise four hours a day. I thought, why is he asking? If I can play with the men, I can play with a woman. But in January, 1987, in Spain, I began to understand. We played four hours a day on hard courts. Every Saturday. Every Sunday. No break.

"When I played for myself I was not a real professional, 100 per cent for tennis. When I lost, I thought about my family and going home to Prague. Taking three days off. Playing soccer. I can't do that now. With Steffi, it's more intensive. Somebody worked out that we spent more than 40 weeks together last year.

"There was more playing, more travelling, than before. I can't go to discos, can't drink, because the next day I must be in shape. And I spend so little time mostly, it's two or three days with my wife and family."
It's interesting to read how tough it was to keep up with Steffi's training. Not that I am surprised. Kimiko Date mentioned that in the days of old, people won by having better technique but now it's about being physically strong. While I will agree with that to some degree, I do feel that the reason why Steffi and Martina were dominant for the most part during their respective eras was because of their elevated levels of fitness and athleticism.

(It's also interesting to note that while Kimiko at 42 is still very fit, I feel she actually uses technique and placement rather than power and fitness to beat her opponents.)
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #2509

I'm not sure if this really was a tour-sanctioned event or an example of botched translation. If it really was a Virginia Slims that was cancelled, I can only assume it was a case of No Steffi = No Television Contract = No Money For Tournament.

BIG NAMES DOUBLING UP IN CHALLENGE - GRAF OUT; SLIMS CANCELED - ELSEWHERE
Sun-Sentinel
Wednesday, January 27, 1988
Staff report

BOCA RATON -- Chris Evert and Pam Shriver will compete against Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova March 6 in the women's tennis version of The Stakes Match, called the Challenge of Champions.

The best-of-three sets doubles match will be held at The Polo Club Boca Raton the day before the Virginia Slims of Florida begins at the same site. Neither Navratilova nor King are playing in the Virginia Slims of Florida.

"We're 99.9 percent certain it will come off," said Sharon O'Connor, tournament director for the Virginia Slims of Florida. "Unless there are any unforeseen circumstances, it should go on."

This will be the second Challenge of the Champions. Last year's was held in April in Norfolk, Va. Navratilova and King won the first two sets, 7-5, 7-5, but Evert and Shriver won the third 6-3. They took home $97,500 to $90,000 for King and Navratilova.

"The Polo Club is very excited about this," O'Connor said. "And naturally, it would enhance our tournament."

People and Properties of Greenwich, Conn., the firm organizing the event, and The Polo Club Boca Raton and Liddun International, the local promoter, need to sign the contracts.

"We hope to have everything signed by the end of the week," O'Connor said.

Evert and Shriver will play their first-round Virginia Slims matches either March 7, 8 or 9.

MAINZ, West Germany -- Organizers canceled a Virginia Slims tournament Tuesday after its main attraction, Steffi Graf of West Germany, pulled out.

The Mainz tournament was scheduled for Feb. 1-7.

Tournament director Peter Dinkels charged that Graf had confirmed her participation but later decided to pull out.

But Steffi's father and manager, Peter Graf, said Steffi only had been given a wild-card option and never had said she would play in the tournament.

Graf, the world's top-ranked woman player, won the Australian Open last weekend and then flew to Japan for two exhibition matches.

Peter Graf said his daughter was scheduled to return from Japan Sunday and could not immediately start another tournament.

"This year will be particularly tough because of the Olympics and Steffi needs breaks during the season," her father told reporters.

-- In Hong Kong, Ivan Lendl of Czechoslovakia, the world's No. 1-ranked player, defeated Tim Mayotte 6-4, 6-1 in a Seiko Cup Championship exhibition match. Lendl broke Mayotte's serve to win the first set, then outclassed the American with powerful serves and forehands to close out the 70-minute match.

-- In Sao Paulo, Brazil, top-seeded Eliot Teltscher and No. 3 seed Lawson Duncan won their opening-round matches in the $130,000 Nabisco Grand Prix tournament. Teltscher, ranked 21st in the world, defeated Brazil's Ivan Kley 7-5, 6-2 and Duncan beat Brazil's Alexandre Hocevar 6-3, 6-1.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #2510

Steffi and Andre attended a WWE pro wrestling extravaganza in Las Vegas. I believe one could interpret Steffi's expression thusly: "If I have to sit through all of this, I'm dragging his ass to the ballet..."

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18cy...jpg/xlarge.jpg
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #2511
country flag Anabelcroft

Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future

Some new short video of Steffi practicing with Darren Cahill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wqyg...ature=youtu.be
Anabelcroft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #2512
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Tomorrow San Jose ! http://www.tennisgrandstand.com/2013...and-gimelstob/
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #2513

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
Tomorrow San Jose !
It was reported that the mixed exhibition drew a crowd of 5774, while the semifinals of the real tournament drew a crowd of 3329 -- which might explain why (sadly) the San Francisco Bay area will be losing its men's tennis event after 125 years.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #2514
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Anthropic View Post
It was reported that the mixed exhibition drew a crowd of 5774, while the semifinals of the real tournament drew a crowd of 3329 -- which might explain why (sadly) the San Francisco Bay area will be losing its men's tennis event after 125 years.
lol
But sad for the tournament.

She was still so fit. Still happy to see pics of her playing Tennis !
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #2515

An interview from during the 1988 AO. Featuring some classic smarty-pants answers as well as some old-fashioned eyebrow-raising cattiness!

The Other Face
Interview with Steffi Graf during skat game in Melbourne
Hamburger Abendblatt
22 January 1988
By Robert Lübenoff

Melbourne -- When Martina Navratilova or another tennis star yields words and answers, one must pay dearly for the time. Even Steffi Graf placed a demand before her interview with the Hamburger Abendblatt...

"First we play a round of skat," she said and had the cards ready in her suite on the 41st floor of the Melbourne Regent Hotel. There exists only a little difference between her tennis and skat games.

Hamburger Abendblatt: Here, at a card game, can this otherwise as-petrified face even laugh...

Steffi Graf: I am very cheerful in private. There, I can find the little things to be pricelessly funny.

HA: You can show emotion?

Graf: Of course. I am a human. And when I feel like howling, then I howl, too. I am actually a very emotional person. Only when I go out on the tennis court, I leave my feelings in the changing room.

HA: Then is this "Countess Merciless Image" only a mask in order to mislead your opponents?

Graf: No, it is an expression of my concentration. And anyway, the other players leave me totally cold. When I see someone, I say hello -- that's all. From the others also comes nothing. I prefer to remain at a distance.

HA: But one can also quickly get trapped in isolation that way. Isn't being number one in professional tennis sometimes absolutely lonely?

Graf: I don't seek out closeness with anyone. In this relation, I am rather a solitary type.

HA: But in other relationships hopefully not?

Graf: I know that everybody really wants to know what's going on with me. Only, finding that out won't be very simple for the public. I will first tackle the public, when I am sure that everything is okay.

HA: What is that supposed to mean?

Graf: I leave myself time for a boyfriend. I wouldn't want to be disappointed. I'm not in a hurry there.

HA: Fear that someone would only love you because you are famous?

Graf: It is very difficult to pick out a boyfriend. You don't know what the other one wants, what he thinks -- and what he could give to you. There are a few questions that are open by being famous.

HA: Does that mean that you can trust no one?

Graf: In the tennis business, one picks up tricks over time, to look behind the faces of people. Knowledge of human nature is incredibly important. I distinguish between people that I find pleasant and those that I can't suffer. There is no gap in between for me.

HA: In which compartment do you put Martina Navratilova then?

Graf: I don't care a fig about her. I merely don't like her monstrous hullabaloo. Sometimes she is absolutely childish -- and then I feel older at 18 years than she is at over 30.

HA: The American also brings a show along with good tennis. They reproach you that you couldn't do that...

Graf: I don't want that. Tennis is played on the court. Whatever crazy chatter that is spun around plays no role for me.

HA: Don't you somewhat enjoy standing in the public's view?

Graf: I could totally do without that. I would be thankful if no one would be interested in tennis. Then I would be the most contented person. I hate being constantly observed everywhere. For me it is a burden, for Martina a pleasure.

HA: So, the good fairy will fulfill three wishes for you. What do you want, the Wimbledon title?

Graf: I would like to be able to be invisible at any time, to have a magic cloak. I would like to be able to read thoughts and have endless life. Endless life is my first wish.

HA: Is this world really so worth living in?

Graf: Life is absolutely beautiful, it is wonderful. I absolutely, positively think so.

HA: What does wealth mean to you?

Graf: It is nice to be able to live well. But one doesn't need luxury. A car, a television set suffice.

HA: ... and power?

Graf: I know that I also have a certain kind of power as number one. But I don't need or make use of it. Most importantly, I am strong for optimal tournament conditions.

HA: What can actually really shake you?

Graf: When a small cat is run over.

HA: Who will win the Australian Open on the women's side?

Graf: I hope yet me.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #2516
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Hope you guys saw this:
Petko after practice session with Steffi (with a prior tweet showing an upbeat Petko prior to the session)
@andreapetkovic and after... http://t.co/Aubfaulvms (https://twitter.com/spajn/status/306238754128027648)

And this:
http://www.cnn.com/video/standard.ht...raf-adidas.cnn
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #2517
country flag djul14

ha ha thanks missed the tweets
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 01:34 AM   #2518
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Tweeted by Darren Cahill : Video of Steffi hitting with the current pros

http://www.coachseye.com/s5By
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 11:15 PM   #2519

We pick up our 1988 narrative in San Antonio, Texas, where Steffi emerges from her February hibernation.

The amazing thing about this article is that despite discussion of Steffi's "rust," she still won this match in 48 minutes and lost only 26 points.

Rusty Graf easily defeats MacGregor
Houston Chronicle
Tuesday, MARCH 1, 1988
CHARLES CARDER

SAN ANTONIO - Steffi Graf showed the effect of five weeks away from tournament tennis, but Cammy MacGregor could not take advantages of her opportunities in the first round of the U.S. Women's Hardcourt Championships here Monday.

Graf emerged from her first action since the final of the Australian Open with a 6-1, 6-2 win before 1,500 people at the McFarlin Tennis Center in just 48 minutes.

The 18-year-old Graf, who became the undisputed No. 1 women's tennis player last year with a 75-2 record and 11 tournament championships, said she was not looking for a Texas meeting with Martina Navratilova when she scheduled to play in this tournament.

"I just wanted to play a tournament to start the hardcourt season and I had never played in Texas," she said of her decision to enter the Lynda Carter-Maybelline-sponsored event.

"If Martina had played in this tournament it would have been fine with me."

Graf is clearly the class of the tournament field. The next ranked player is No. 7 Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia. She is the No. 2 seed and third-seeded is Lori McNeil of Houston, who is now 11th ranked on the women's computer.

McNeil, winner of the Oklahoma City Virginia Slims on Sunday, arrived here in time for a late Monday practice session. She plays Isabelle Demongeot of France today.

Asked if she feared anyone in this field, Graf replied, "I'm not afraid of anyone."

She admitted that she becomes bored when she is not playing tennis.

And she certainly was not tournament tough against MacGregor. If the Torrance, Calif., native could have kept alive on Graf's errors, she might have made a match of it, but MacGregor matched Graf error for error.

MacGregor had only five earned points and forced Graf into five errors. The others were unforced.

"My serve was working very well today," Graf explained. "But the rest of my game was rusty.

"After the Australian I played a couple of exhibitions, then took two weeks off and spent time with friends."

After defeating MacGregor en route to the Australian title Graf said that neither of them had played especially well. She agreed that observation could be made of their latest match.

"I wish we could have had longer rallies," she said in reference to her need for more tournament matches. "I need more playing time, you can't practice all the time."

Even with Graf's help MacGregor won only 11 points in the first set and 15 in the second. MacGregor's initial earned point evened the score at 15 in the seventh game of the first set.

MacGregor held serve in the fourth game off of four Graf errors and two errors helped her win in the fifth game of the second set. Only in the seventh game of that set did she put a couple of earned points together.

In the only other matches involving seeded players, No. 4 Katerina Maleeva of Bulgaria beat Jo Durie of Britain 6-1, 6-4 and No. 6 Nathalie Tauziat of France rallied past Louise Allen of Winston-Salem, N.C., 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2.

In other matches Monday, Sara Gomer of Britain downed Andriana Villagran of Argentina 6-3, 6-2; Beverly Bowes of Lubbock defeated Michelle Torres of Northfield, Ill., 6-3, 6-3; and Leila Meskhi of the Soviet Union edged Rosalyn Fairbank of San Diego 7-6 (9-7), 2-6, 6-4.

Japan's Etsuko Inoue outlasted Marianne Werdel of Bakersfield, Calif., 6-7 (6-8), 6-1, 7-6, 8-6. Akiko Kijimuta of Japan defeated Canada's Jill Hetherington 6-4, 6-3, and Katherin Keil of Los Angeles overcame Ann Grossman of Grove City, Ohio, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4). el,-3

Sampras upsets Krishnan

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. - Amateur Pete Sampras, a high school junior from Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif., upset India's Ramash Krishnan, who's ranked 37th in the world, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 in the first round of the $702,500 Champions Cup.

In two other upsets, Mark Woodforde of Australia ousted 14th-seeded Peter Lundgren of Sweden 7-6, 6-3 and Aaron Krickstein beat No. 16 Jimmy Arias 6-3, 7-5.

Boris Becker of West Germany and Australia's Pat Cash, seeded third and fourth, will see their first action today. The top two seeds, Sweden's Stefan Edberg and Czechoslovakia's Miloslav Mecir, will play Wednesday.

In other matches involving seeded players, ninth-seeded David Pate defeated Luiz Mattar of Brazil 6-2, 6-7, 6-2; No. 12 Eduardo Bengoechea of Argentina beat fellow countryman Javier Frana 6-2, 3-6, 7-6; and No. 15 Mikael Pernfors of Sweden stopped Horst Skoff of Austria 7-5, 6-1.

Potter advances

WICHITA, Kan. - Defending champion Barbara Potter advanced into the second round of the Virginia Slims of Kansas, but three seeded players lost and a fourth withdrew because of the flu.

Potter, of Woodbury, Conn., the tournament's second seed, opened with a 6-0, 6-4 victory over unseeded Dinky Van Rensburg of South Africa.

No. 4 Dianne Balestrat of Australia lost 7-6 (7-4), 6-1 to Natalia Bykova of the Soviet Union. Peanut Louie Harper of San Francisco trounced No. 5 Stephanie Rehe of Highland, Calif., 6-0, 6-2, and Soviet Svetlana Parkhomenko ousted No. 8 Claudia Porwik of West Germany, 6-4, 6-2.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 11:21 PM   #2520

"I tried having fun once. It was awful." -- Grumpy Cat

Tennis: Gomer to oppose Graf
The Times
London, England
Wednesday, March 2, 1988
From BARRY WOOD, SAN ANTONIO

The most demanding challenge facing Steffi Graf these days is not the threat of Martina Navratilova or any other opponent but the need occasionally to take a break away from tennis. Really taking time off, with the rackets stowed in the cupboard, is a concept repellant to her.

"Taking time off bores me because if I just keep practising and practising and don't see the result in matches, it doesn't satisfy me," she said after defeating Cammy MacGregor 6-1, 6-2 in the opening round of the US Hardcourt Championships.

The victory left her looking forward to her second round match with Sara Gomer.

--------------------------------------------------- FIRST ROUND: --------------------------------------------------- S Gomer (GB) bt A Villagran (Arg), 6-3, 6-2; E Inoue (Japan) bt M Werdel (US), 6-7, 6-1, 7-6; K Maleeva (Bul) bt J Durie (GB), 6-1, 6-4; K Keil (US) bt A Grossman (US), 4-6, 6-4, 7-6; A Kijimuta (Japan) bt J Hetherington (Can), 6-4, 6-3; S Graf (WG) bt C MacGregor (US), 6-1, 6-2; N Tauziat (Fr) bt L Allen (US), 4-6, 7-6, 6-2. ---------------------------------------------------