Latino gangs targeting African-Americans in Compton and elsewhere - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #1
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
Latino gangs targeting African-Americans in Compton and elsewhere

http://articles.latimes.com/print/20...mpton-20130126

Attack on family in Compton latest incident in wave of anti-black violence
A Latino gang is intimidating blacks into leaving the city that was once an African American enclave. It's part of a violent trend seen in other parts of the L.A. area.
January 25, 2013|By Sam Quinones, Richard Winton and Joe Mozingo

The trouble began soon after they arrived.

The black family—a mother, three teenage children and a 10-year-old boy—moved into a little yellow home in Compton over Christmas vacation.

When a friend came to visit, four men in a black SUV pulled up and called him a "******," saying black people were barred from the neighborhood, according to Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies. They jumped out, drew a gun on him and beat him with metal pipes.

It was just the beginning of what detectives said was a campaign by a Latino street gang to force an African American family to leave.

The attacks on the family are the latest in a series of violent incidents in which Latino gangs targeted blacks in parts of greater Los Angeles over the last decade.

Compton, with a population of about 97,000, was predominantly black for many years. It is now 65% Latino and 33% black, according to the 2010 U.S. census. But it's not only historically black areas that have been targeted.

Federal authorities have alleged in several indictments in the last decade that the Mexican Mafia prison gang has ordered street gangs under its control to attack African Americans. Leaders of the Azusa 13 gang were sentenced to lengthy prison terms earlier this month for leading a policy of attacking African American residents and expelling them from the town.

Similar attacks have taken place in Harbor Gateway, Highland Park, Pacoima, San Bernardino, Canoga Park and Wilmington, among other places. In the Compton case, sheriff's officials say the gang appears to have been acting on its own initiative.

Sheriff's detectives said Friday they had arrested Jeffrey Aguilar, 19, of Gardena and Efren Marquez, 21, of Rialto, both alleged members of the Compton Varrio 155 gang, and are continuing to look for more assailants.

"This family has no gang ties whatsoever," Sheriff's Lt. Richard Westin said. "They are complete innocent victims here."

The 19-year-old family friend managed to break free that first day and run into the house, where the children were the only ones at home.

The attackers left, but a half-hour later a crowd of as many as 20 people stood on the lawn yelling threats and epithets. A beer bottle crashed through the living room window as the youngsters watched in horror.

"They were scared if they called the sheriff they'd be killed," Westin said. "So they called their mom, who called the Sheriff's Department."

The gang members were gone by the time deputies arrived, but they kept coming back, almost daily, driving by slowly until they got someone's attention, then yelling racial insults and telling them to leave. The mother sent the children to live with relatives and is now packing up to leave herself.

"This gang has always made it clear they have a racial hatred for black people," said Westin, who has worked in the area for more than two decades. "They justify in their own sick minds because of their rivalry with the Compton black gangs. They repeatedly used racial epithets, they use racial hatred graffiti and they tag up the black church a lot."

At the home on 153rd Street on Friday, the rain-drenched street was empty and quiet. But the gang's presence was clear.

Its tags marked several long walls, stop signs, curbs and school crossing signs — often with the nicknames of individual gang members included.

Crews remove the graffiti almost every morning.

Down the street, the Greater Holy Faith Missionary Baptist Church — a remnant from the time when Compton was almost all black — is often tagged, most recently, just below the cross.

Neighbors say its pastors come on Sundays and no longer live in the area.

"This is a typical American family," said Sheriff's Capt. Mike Parker. "It is tragic that it can happen in America, let alone L.A. County. We are not going to tolerate it."

Sheriff's detectives have searched 11 locations in Compton, Gardena and Rialto and are hoping to make more arrests.

Aguilar is accused of beating the family friend with the pipes and Marquez is accused of waving a gun in his face.

Deputies also arrested a juvenile gang member who fought with one of them during a search and tried to grab the officer's pistol.

Compton Councilwoman Yvonne Arceneaux said she was deeply troubled by the incident.

"I'm floored," she said. "That's blatant to tell a family you can't live in this area because you are black. That's just shocking."

Two decades ago, when Arceneaux joined the Compton City Council, she said that older blacks occupied the well-maintained, small homes in the neighborhood. But as they died or moved away, Latinos moved in.

Although she noted cultural differences between blacks and Latinos, she said she thought they were minor.

Arceneaux said she plans to reach out to the family and get the City Council involved.

"We need to address these issues," she said. "Because if they continue to fester like this, then it can spread to the whole city."

Latino gang attacks on African Americans have occurred periodically since the 1990s in Compton.

Johnathan Quevedo, a security guard and college student, said he was shot and wounded by four Latino gang members in 2007.

Quevedo, who has African American features he inherited from his Panamanian mother, said he was walking to the Metro to take a train to his job at the downtown Marriott Hotel one morning when four Latino youths with shaved heads jumped from an SUV and ran at him. One shot him in the head, and Quevedo spent the next year recuperating.

"They didn't know who I was. I didn't know who they were," Quevedo said. "I got shot because of my skin color, because I'm a black male."

sam.quinones@latimes.com

richard.winton@latimes.com

joe.mozingo@latimes.com

Times Staff Writer Angel Jennings contributed to this report.
"The human mind is not capable of grasping the Universe. We are like a little child entering a huge library. The walls are covered to the ceilings with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written these books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. But the child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books - a mysterious order which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects." - Albert Einstein
pov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #2
country flag antonella

antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Latino gangs targeting African-Americans in Compton and elsewhere

America's Kosovo.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 09:50 PM   #3
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post
African Americans supported unrestricted immigration and tried to ally with Latinos, but now it's come back to bite them.
Kiinda my feelings after reading this as well but I don't want to generalize all Latinos because many get along very well with Black people its just unfortunate that the crazies are always usually the loudest.

In pure speculation if trends like this continue and the Democrats as a party do nothing to address the situation, it could be the first time we see a significant shift in the Black vote but I won't say to what.
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 10:23 PM   #4
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Will2 View Post
Kiinda my feelings after reading this as well but I don't want to generalize all Latinos because many get along very well with Black people its just unfortunate that the crazies are always usually the loudest.

In pure speculation if trends like this continue and the Democrats as a party do nothing to address the situation, it could be the first time we see a significant shift in the Black vote but I won't say to what.
Because of gangs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Blergh...so no Stuttgart this year again...damn it Vika, why do you avoid me??
Smart girl!
Nicolás89 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 11:04 PM   #5
country flag semprelibera

semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future

Quote:
African Americans supported unrestricted immigration
Receipts?
semprelibera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 11:04 PM   #6
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolás89 View Post
Because of gangs?
No not because of gangs, I don't really care to elaborate any further than what I've already posted. I agreed with another post and added some of my own speculation to it.

I will say if the Democratic party doesn't start to do better by its black constituents then a shift in the Black voting patterns could happen. More about immigration/ race relations than gangs and violence though.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 11:14 PM   #7
country flag semprelibera

semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Will2 View Post
I agreed with another post and added some of my own speculation to it.
You've been here 8 yrs and still haven't clocked Williamser's tea.
He's not on your side.
semprelibera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 11:19 PM   #8
country flag iWill

Quote:
Originally Posted by semprelibera View Post
You've been here 8 yrs and still haven't clocked Williamser's tea.
He's not on your side.
LOL yes but look at my posts I only know of the ultimate trolls. I can't say I didn't agree with his point though,...but thanks for the heads up! *head nod and E-daps you up*
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 04:38 AM   #9
country flag Williamsser
Lifetime Member

Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by semprelibera View Post
Receipts?
Black Caucus to join push for amnesty, immigration

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/31/bl...y-immigration/

The Congressional Black Caucus is going to join the push for more low-wage immigration, reversing its stance in 2006 and 2007, when it avoided the controversy.

“Immigration reform will be one of our top three priorities this year,” Ayofemi Kirby, the caucus’ communications director, told The Daily Caller on Wednesday.

The caucus is also trying to protect the “Diversity Visa” program from the GOP’s efforts to zero it, she said. Elimination of the program “would lower the number of [black] immigrants from countries who already have low number of immigrants … [in the United States], especially sub-Sahara and Africa” and Caribbean countries.

“That’s a huge issue for us,” she added, noting that the new policy will be detailed next week.

The caucus will also “be looking at [immigration’s] impact on low-income communities,” she said.

Immigration is a very contentious issue in African-American communities, partly because many African-Americans view immigrant Latinos as competition for low-skill jobs, apartments and government grants.

The formal unemployment rate for African-Americans is 14 percent. In practice, the underemployment and unemployment rates are far higher. For example, only about half of young African-American men have full-time jobs.
Williamsser is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #10
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
African Americans supported unrestricted immigration and tried to ally with Latinos, but now it's come back to bite them.
Aren't Republicans, initially at least, equally if not more to blame for all this?
(it was Reagan who signed the cheap-labour-corporate sponsored 1986 amnesty bill and literally "opened the floodgates").
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #11
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
{edit: Some} African Americans supported unrestricted] immigration and tried to ally with Latinos, but now it's come back to bite them. {edit: at times}
Ironic isn't it. In fact the phrase "people of color" was devised as a means to suggest a unified block of "non-white" people, joined together in their push for "equality."
"The human mind is not capable of grasping the Universe. We are like a little child entering a huge library. The walls are covered to the ceilings with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written these books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. But the child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books - a mysterious order which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by pov : Feb 4th, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #12
country flag pov

Quote:

Immigration is a very contentious issue in African-American communities, partly because many African-Americans view immigrant Latinos as competition for low-skill jobs, apartments and government grants.
That shows that your initial comment was incorrect.
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #13
country flag debopero

debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute

Call me crazy, but I don't think Latino gangs are the best representatives of Hispanic Americans feel about Black people. Just a thought.
debopero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #14
country flag pov

^ Okay. You're crazy.

Any kind of sweeping generalization from this would be dumb. However: "Federal authorities have alleged in several indictments in the last decade that the Mexican Mafia prison gang has ordered street gangs under its control to attack African Americans. Leaders of the Azusa 13 gang were sentenced to lengthy prison terms earlier this month for leading a policy of attacking African American residents and expelling them from the town.

Similar attacks have taken place in Harbor Gateway, Highland Park, Pacoima, San Bernardino, Canoga Park and Wilmington, among other places.
" is nothing to just dismiss. If these attacks were being carried out by white gangs there would be a huge national outcry.
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 01:55 AM   #15
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
^ Okay. You're crazy.

Any kind of sweeping generalization from this would be dumb. However: "Federal authorities have alleged in several indictments in the last decade that the Mexican Mafia prison gang has ordered street gangs under its control to attack African Americans. Leaders of the Azusa 13 gang were sentenced to lengthy prison terms earlier this month for leading a policy of attacking African American residents and expelling them from the town.

Similar attacks have taken place in Harbor Gateway, Highland Park, Pacoima, San Bernardino, Canoga Park and Wilmington, among other places.
" is nothing to just dismiss. If these attacks were being carried out by white gangs there would be a huge national outcry.
There is a lot of truth here. And you can bet that if these attacks were carried out on white folks there would be hell to pay. There was very little concern about Black gang violence in Southern California until it spilled over into Westwood many years ago.
"You are young, my son, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions. Refrain therefore awhile from setting yourself up as a judge of the highest matters." -- Plato .

Tomorrow? Who promised you tomorrow?

We all want justice for everybody else and mercy for ourselves.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote