How many Grand Slams will Petra Kvitova win in her career? - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How many Grand Slams will Petra Kvitova win in her career?

1 24 14.72%
2 13 7.98%
3 23 14.11%
4 14 8.59%
5 18 11.04%
6 19 11.66%
7 13 7.98%
8 10 6.13%
9 0 0%
10+ 29 17.79%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 01:34 PM   #121
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How many Grand Slams will Petra Kvitova win in her career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
..and just because their have been players who slumped after winning a maiden slam that went on to win many more doesn't mean that Petra will be the same.

Given her current form predicting that Kvitova will go on to win more slams is nothing more than unbridled optimism.
Isn't predicting that she definitely won't unbridled pessimism?
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 01:43 PM   #122
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Isn't predicting that she definitely won't unbridled pessimism?
Of course.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 01:48 PM   #123
country flag Letigre

Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe. But it's worth remembering that it took Serena over two years after winning her first slam title before she won her second. She was younger than Petra now is for sure, but Petra's hardly a granny either.

You're right that it won't be easy for her, but in contrast to most of the wannabes on the tour, she already knows that she has the game to beat the best. Knowing that should make it easier for her to find the motivation.
At the start of both this and last season, Petra claimed how hard it was going to be for her to repeat her 2011 results. She has always sounded to me a bit unambitious, or maybe unsure of herself. It´s an impression of mine, but she seems like someone who suddenly found herself in the spotlight due to her great talent, but it was like she didn´t expect it to happen at all. I have never seen the ambition or the killer instinct of Serena, Vika... She is young and that can change, of course; but it also makes me think if that can become a real hurdle to get all those big titles. If it is a question of game and talent alone (and hard work, of course) she could get whatever she wanted.
Letigre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 01:53 PM   #124

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Given her current form predicting that Kvitova will go on to win more slams is nothing more than unbridled optimism.
Quote:
Of course.
So you're saying that you're an incurable pessimist, or what?
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 01:58 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLESILAS View Post
At the start of both this and last season, Petra claimed how hard it was going to be for her to repeat her 2011 results. She has always sounded to me a bit unambitious, or maybe unsure of herself. It´s an impression of mine, but she seems like someone who suddenly found herself in the spotlight due to her great talent, but it was like she didn´t expect it to happen at all. I have never seen the ambition or the killer instinct of Serena, Vika... She is young and that can change, of course; but it also makes me think if that can become a real hurdle to get all those big titles. If it is a question of game and talent alone (and hard work, of course) she could get whatever she wanted.
I don't think we are very much in disagreement. I'm leaning towards the "glass is a bit more than half full" side, and I think you're taking more the "glass is a bit more than half empty" view.

Motivation is the key, and I absolutely agree that she wasn't born with the huge inner drive of a Serena or a Sharapova. But that can grow in time.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 01:59 PM   #126
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Quote:
So you're saying that you're an incurable pessimist, or what?
Never said she was definitely not going to win more slams.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 02:01 PM   #127

Quote:
No, just that predicting she would is nothing more than unbridled optimism. I guess it's a subtle distinction, I'm afraid I'm struggling to see the difference.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 02:03 PM   #128
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute

I think she gets one this year. There's no reason she couldn't just flip the switch and find form for 7 matches at one of the three remaining slams. Li almost did it at AO, and should have beaten Vika (probably would have if she hadn't injured herself by pure bad luck).
“It's not as if everything revolves around me now that I've won Wimbledon for the second time — as if I'll just sit on my ass at home and send someone to do my shopping for me.” — the lovely and humble Petra Kvitová
mac47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 02:03 PM   #129
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

Quote:
No, just that predicting she would is nothing more than unbridled optimism. I guess it's a subtle distinction, I'm afraid I'm struggling to see the difference.
There's quite a big difference between the two, and if you can't see it than I really don't know what to say; perhaps take more English classes?
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 02:05 PM   #130
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
at the poll results.
Now all this hype is towards Vika, gotta love TF.
Hype?!
And what's Vika to do with this thread? Vika already backed up her slam, soo...q
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 02:06 PM   #131
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Hype?!
And what's Vika to do with this thread? Vika already backed up her slam, soo...q
Just an insecure Martha fan.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 02:16 PM   #132
country flag lupojohn
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future

I could see Petra finishing with 6-8 if she makes the necessary changes to get her career back on track. At least 2 or 3 more Wimbledons, a French and a couple of Australians. For a variety of reasons, she probably will never win the Open.

RIP Elena Baltacha. You were taken far too soon from us. You will be missed, loved and remembered.
Vicky Duval Get well soon. We're all pulling for you in this awful fight you now face.
lupojohn is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 02:18 PM   #133

Quote:
There's quite a big difference between the two, and if you can't see it than I really don't know what to say; perhaps take more English classes?
There is a difference, but it's pretty slight. True, there is a bit of middle ground if you decide you want to go there, but that basically leaves you in a position where you really wouldn't have a clue whether she's likely to win slams or not. I didn't get the feeling that that was your position.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 02:20 PM   #134
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
This is why you voted for her to win only 1 major
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 02:23 PM   #135
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Hype?!
I was just saying that if you make a thread asking how many majors will Vika win now, people will vote around 6-8 just because she backed up her first one.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote