Most important factors to consider when ranking the greats (after slam count)? - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Outside of winning Slams, what is the next most important factor when it comes to ran

How many total weeks spent @ number one. 50 25.64%
Versatility; being able to win titles on all surfaces. 51 26.15%
Total number of (non-slam) tournaments won. 40 20.51%
Win/Loss record; H2H Records. 36 18.46%
How many years you end the season @ number one. 7 3.59%
other (please explain) 11 5.64%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 31st, 2013, 10:48 PM   #121
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Most important factors to consider when ranking the greats (after slam count)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
So how do you judge Serena who is not leading in any of those categories, but is considered by many the best female player ever? At her best she was two leagues above everybody else. Peak Serena beats peak Graf, peak Navratilova, peak Seles, peak everybody. And still, she fails to win any of the listed classifications.

--
There's a difference between Greatness and Best.

Under your scenario, Serena could be the Best player of all time, but she still wouldn't be the Greatest player of all time. That's where all that other stuff comes in.

However, they're still many people who feel Serena would lose to Steffi Graf on grass, plexi-cushion, and especially clay. The same with Chrissie Evert on Clay (with today's technology or transplant Serena back to Chrissie's time), etc..

So it's not as simple as you said it. Could you really see Serena beating Graf at the US Open, Aussie Open and the French Open with regularity (mind you Wimby)?

Their era's are not that far apart. And we've seen them play a few matches against each other to get some semblance of minor overlap.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 12:52 AM   #122
country flag Matt-TennisFan24

Matt-TennisFan24 is a name known to all Matt-TennisFan24 is a name known to all Matt-TennisFan24 is a name known to all Matt-TennisFan24 is a name known to all Matt-TennisFan24 is a name known to all Matt-TennisFan24 is a name known to all Matt-TennisFan24 is a name known to all Matt-TennisFan24 is a name known to all Matt-TennisFan24 is a name known to all Matt-TennisFan24 is a name known to all Matt-TennisFan24 is a name known to all
Re: Most important factors to consider when ranking the greats (after slam count)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
being a sucker on some of three main tennis surfaces is definitely dougrading greatness.... For instance Kuerten , who will rank him even close to someone like Arthur Ashe or Guillermo Vilas? Actually he is in the same league as Safin or Kafelnikov

actually from this group

Tier1 - Davenport, Sharapova, ASV
Tier2 - Clijsters, Mandlikova
Tier3 - Capriati , Wade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stefwhit View Post
Interesting...out of curiosity when you use the check list criteria you pointed out and compare Clijsters to both Davenport and Sharapova are you saying the difference is big enough to rank Clijsters a whole tier below them? In my mind they would be more or less equal so that's a little surprising, but I never did a thorough comparison between them just a first glance comparison, but it's till surprising to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
who was out for injuries during FO 2012?

as for 3-5 Slam Winners, check the table below (i marked the darker - the better)

who can find how many Tier 1s (i mean it's equivalents ) were won by Wade and Mandlikova?

Hey guys

First, to answer NashaMasha's question, I did some thorough research regarding the most important titles since 1968 which would qualify as "Tier I" titles. The criteria I used for doing this was specifically looking at which tournaments the better ranked players (No.1, No.2, etc) played apart from the Slams. I tried to get a number similar to today's Tier I tournaments (around 8 or 9), and did not make a difference when the players were not competing in the same tour. Here's what I did for the year 1970, for example. I made an average of the rankings provided by journalists of the time from the year before, in this case 1969 (all this info is in the BFTP section), and then I searched which tournaments the best players were part of in 1970. First, tournaments played by the No.1 and No.2 players of the past year got an automatic qualification as a Tier I. If more slots were available, then the tournaments played by No.1 and No.3 were next, then No.2 and No.3, No.1 and No.4, and so on.

1-Court
2-Jones
3-King
4-Richey Gunter
AUCKLAND A Ann Jones bt Kerry Melville 0-6 6-4 6-1 (No.2)
PHILADELPHIA B Margaret Court bt Billie Jean King 6-3 8-6 (No.1, No.3 and No.4) Feb 2
HURLINGHAM A Ann Jones bt Joyce Williams 6-1 4-6 6-4 (No.1 and No.2) May 11
DURBAN A Billie Jean King bt Margaret Court 6-4 2-6 6-2 (No.1, No.2 and No.3) Apr 6
NEW YORK A Margaret Court bt Virginia Wade 6-3 6-3 (No.1 and No.3) Feb 9
BOURNEMOUTH A Margaret Court bt Virginia Wade 6-2 6-3 (No.1 and No.3) Apr 27
SUTTON A Margaret Court bt Ann Jones 6-3 6-3 (No.1 and No.2) Apr 20
FRINTON A Margaret Court bt Ann Jones 2-6 7-5 6-2 (No.1 and No.2) Jul 13
DALLAS A Margaret Court bt Billie Jean King 1-6 6-3 11-9 (No.1, No.2 and No.3) Feb 13
SOUTH AFRICAN OPEN A Margaret Court bt Billie Jean King 6-4 1-6 6-3 (No.1 and No.3) Mar 24

All the ones in font made the cut as a Tier I This year is the most impressive of my research to me. Margaret dominated most of the year's important tournaments! And you can see by the information on the brackets that they weren't cakewalk draws...

I have more for each year, up to the introduction of the Tier I system, if you are interested.

Now regarding how they would the four and three-time Slam winners would be ranked under this system, I did it again, and I got pretty much the same results, even though I think Sharapova is going to change that if she keeps having top seasons like 2012.

Here's how the graphic would look:

system for ranking the all-time greats.PNG

What do you think now?

Maria Sharapova (Career High-Ranking: #1, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2006, Australian Open 2008, Roland Garros 2012 Champion ) · Caroline Wozniacki (Career High-Ranking: #1) · Ana Ivanovic (Career High-Ranking: #1) · Maria Kirilenko (Career High-Ranking: #10)
Matt-TennisFan24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #123
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

As I've given this topic more thought overtime I now give more weight to the intangibles, the only probably with intangibles is that they are open to interpretation and are open to opinions and biases. Then again, when we talk about GOATS there's always some sort of bias and at the end of the day opinions Cary a lot of sway. With that said I think mental toughness, hunger, desire, determination, and a fighting spirit all play into GOAT discussions. You obviously can't measure those kinds of things but nonetheless the deserve to be at least me tinned alongside things you can measure.

Along with numbers, greatness is about being the best. And if u are regarded as the fastest, the most athletic, the most strategic, the best forehand, the best slice, the best serve....so in and so on, that carries weight in theses endless debates as well. Again no need to point out how these kinds of things are flawed since its hard to measure the best this or that. That's why I think a general consensus on things should factor in to these debates as well. If you are are regarded a certain way by the majority of the sports writers, your peers in the sport, and by most fans that's something significant that should be part of discussions as well.

So in summary it's a combination of things measured, things agreed upon, and things that can't be seen or measured, in other words its complicated..lol at the end of the day if you become part of the discussion of the best ever then that's all one could hope for...
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #124
country flag rjd1111

rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute rjd1111 has a reputation beyond repute

Who would kick whose ass .... before slam count.
rjd1111 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #125
country flag Thirty All

Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all Thirty All is a name known to all

Slams, number of Tier1/PremierMandatory/Premier titles, and weeks at number one. Which all prove that Graf, Evert, and Navratilova are miles ahead of Serena in their all-time rankings. And not only that, those three have transcended the sport, unlike Serena. Maria Sharapova is still the most famous player on the planet, and no one could care less about Serena and her cakewalk draws and wins.
Thirty All is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #126
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

The quality, the toughness of the adversity. The more it's hard, rich, high, the more it's admirable.
Hugues Daniel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote