Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 37 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #541
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
The positive of the last 18 months is that at least they understand that Caroline cant start swatting forehands around and expect to win, as she was doing with defense.
The negative part is that she doesnt finish off matches the way she used to.
Everyone has tough matches along the way. Djokjovic almost lost to Wawrinka. You have to close, especially in early rounds against players who are not contenders for the title.
Thats something she really has to improve on. Its the main reason Vika has 2 majors and Caroline has none. You cant have match point on your serve in slam semi and then collapse. Those are the moments you have to be mentally ready for every shot of every point.
There are a lot of talented players who dont get thru draws. Part of it is Caroline's serve. Thats something she should be working on every practice. Her team should be studying all of her serves.
Here's a breakdown of the % of Caro & Vika's matches in which they won the 1st set and the match went to a 3rd set. This doesn't count any matches with retirements.

Caro in 2009: 20%
Caro in 2010: 19%
Caro in 2011: 12%
Caro in 2012-2013 so far: 30%
Vika in 2010: 16%
Vika in 2011: 14%
Vika in 2012-2013 so far: 9%
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)

Last edited by Protoss : Jan 29th, 2013 at 05:21 AM. Reason: added a couple of more years of data
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #542
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, where you get these stats from? Are you compiling a table of all her results?

The stats show that Caro's matches usually go a distance. On one hand it's taxing for her, however as a spectator I quite enjoy watch long dramatic matches.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #543
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Yes the play at the net was the most marked difference between them. I don't think there was so much difference between them on the serve. The stats of serve give an edge to Sveta - but it's not much. But Sveta definitely was brilliant at the net. I remember a point in the 3rd set that Sveta missed at the net and I was quite shocked and relieved because I couldn't remember her missing anything there up till then. Caro had some points she was in control of the point and by rights were hers but where she was unable to control the point to win it at the net. I actually think Caro did improve quite a lot at the net until about a year ago but has now slipped back in that area.

I still think that playing doubles could help Caro with her netplay

Just checked the stats on netplay and serves:
On net points won: Sveta was 23/25=92%, Caro was 8/19=42%.
Incidentally against Vika
On net points won: Sveta was 11/12=92% Vika was 11/22=50% at the net.
And on serves won: Caro won 53/95=55.8%, Sveta was 57/96=59.3%.
Caro's 2nd serve % was only 15/33=45% and that has always been an achilles heel but she got a greater % of 1st serves in than Sveta.
Am glad that you brought up net play in addition to the serve issues.Her inadequacies in net play are a superb example of how Caro's original style of play was insufficient without some tinkering.We could debate aggression and passivity all day but there's no disputing that Caro's net game could still use some notable improvement

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

JUSTICIA PARA LAS NORMALISTAS!! Pena de muerte para todos los narcos en Mexico!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #544
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Here's a breakdown of the % of Caro & Vika's matches in which they won the 1st set and the match went to a 3rd set. This doesn't count any matches with retirements.

Caro in 2009: 20%
Caro in 2010: 19%
Caro in 2011: 12%
Caro in 2012-2013 so far: 30%
Vika in 2010: 16%
Vika in 2011: 14%
Vika in 2012-2013 so far: 9%
What interests me is the next few weeks compared to after she lost with matchpoint to Li, just 2 years ago.
She won Dubai, final Doha, won IW, lost to Petkovic in Miami, won Charleston, final Stuttgart. Thats about 26-2 until she lost to Goerges on clay.

The difference is 2 years ago, players tried to break down Caro's forehand. her backhand was her strong side. So players went after her forehand, which she kept steady & reasonably deep last spring.
Then she decided to be more aggreesive with her forehand. Thats just what her opponents wanted, forehand errors. Caroline was giving them what they needed to beat her.
That is why an experienced coach could have helped her. Playing dificult forehand shots in key moments was great for Caroline's opponents. Not good for Caroline.
So here we are 2 years later. Vika just went to a slam final playing no one seeded above #29. Caroline was one of the seeds who couldnt get thru her draw.
So, she has to somehow get her game back to where she was 2 years ago.
I dont see anything in her game better than where she was 2 years ago. I think her confidence is a lot worse. Thats all from 18 months of high risk forehands. Instead of building on her foundation, of being a great defensive player with a very good backhand.
But this is the right situation to start moving forward. Stats will be interesting
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #545
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Am glad that you brought up net play in addition to the serve issues.Her inadequacies in net play are a superb example of how Caro's original style of play was insufficient without some tinkering.We could debate aggression and passivity all day but there's no disputing that Caro's net game could still use some notable improvement
She used to be efficient at the net in the past a lot more than now. Now,she is sometimes visibly struggling to control the direction of the ball when she tries a net approach. She isn't able to give a net shot the right angle,sometimes it's very easy for the opponent because she the ball goes straight accross so they can reach it in no time. Kuznetsova did expose Caro's weak net play at their last match. She was able to outplay her almost every time when she did a net approach.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #546
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Wow, where you get these stats from? Are you compiling a table of all her results?

The stats show that Caro's matches usually go a distance. On one hand it's taxing for her, however as a spectator I quite enjoy watch long dramatic matches.
Sometimes I have too much free time. I got the numbers by looking at the results at wtatour.com and manually counting them.

I prefer that Caro be able to win matches in two sets as it saves energy and it's a lot less stressful for me.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #547
country flag Protoss

Caro is back in Monte Carlo and training again.

So where did Caro go on her week long vacation?
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #548
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sometimes I have too much free time. I got the numbers by looking at the results at wtatour.com and manually counting them.

I prefer that Caro be able to win matches in two sets as it saves energy and it's a lot less stressful for me.
2 years ago Caro didnt lose a set in Dubai. Didnt lose a set until the final in Doha. Lost 2 sets all of Indian Wells.
But that was a different time in Caroline's life.
This year she lost 3 set matches in all 3 tournaments she played. Only won 4 matches total.
These next 4 hardcourt Premiers/Mandatories will tell something. You cant expect much on clay or grass, so if Caroline is going to do something before summer/fall, we'll probably see it these next 2 months

Old Jan 31st, 2013, 05:43 AM   #549
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that Caro has done a fairly good job of avoiding those lousy tourney sites that are known for constantly getting pissed on from the heavens...though maybe the bad weather just slipped my memory

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Old Jan 31st, 2013, 10:27 AM   #550
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Caro is back in Monte Carlo and training again.

So where did Caro go on her week long vacation?
Mountains and snow, in the US ... I am guessing the Rockies

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 03:05 PM   #551
country flag bruce goose

Just a question,folks: In the same way that a manager expects a boxer to come apart from his wife or gf a bit in training for a big fight,is it reasonable for us to expect Caroline to NOT share a hotel room with Rory while she's playing a tournament??I'm not passing moral judgment here,merely asking what would be considered professional behavior from a tennis player....Am asking b/c there's at least one well-known player who is currently traveling with her bf,and it's fairly clear that she couldn't care less how worn out she gets the night before a match

Old Jan 31st, 2013, 03:27 PM   #552
country flag kestrel01

kestrel01 is a splendid one to behold kestrel01 is a splendid one to behold kestrel01 is a splendid one to behold kestrel01 is a splendid one to behold kestrel01 is a splendid one to behold kestrel01 is a splendid one to behold kestrel01 is a splendid one to behold kestrel01 is a splendid one to behold kestrel01 is a splendid one to behold kestrel01 is a splendid one to behold kestrel01 is a splendid one to behold

^^
Quote:
Mountains and snow, in the US ... I am guessing the Rockies
Nope! They were in Courchevel in the french alps.
Probably staying at the "Cheval Blanc", an extremely expensive luxury ski resort.
Rory tweeted a photo, which someone identified as being as being from Courchevel.
kestrel01 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 03:32 PM   #553
marineblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Just a question,folks: In the same way that a manager expects a boxer to come apart from his wife or gf a bit in training for a big fight,is it reasonable for us to expect Caroline to NOT share a hotel room with Rory while she's playing a tournament??I'm not passing moral judgment here,merely asking what would be considered professional behavior from a tennis player....Am asking b/c there's at least one well-known player who is currently traveling with her bf,and it's fairly clear that she couldn't care less how worn out she gets the night before a match
Well, they are not made of stone but I guess some moderation is probably there. I saw an interview with Caro where she was actually asked something in this sense
I guess that after some time of being single though it's hard to not let go which is probably what happened to the said tennis player.
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 11:02 PM   #554
country flag Double A

Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future

Haven't posted in a while and far too lazy to read through the recent posts, but what tournament is Caro going to next?
Double A is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 11:32 PM   #555
country flag goldenlox

Is this for real?

Closed Thread