Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 36 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #526
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Yes I agree with the first two sentences in particular. The specific difference of opinion I have to most posters here is that I think she played very well against Sveta. You and many others have a different opinion and say the same things about her in that match as in other matches - can't win pressure points and bemoan "she didn't take advantage.." So that the only consideration seems to be whether she actually wins a match regardless how she played. Also I think you posted you don't think she played well against Sveta which we just have completely different opinions.
Its more than win or lose. I thought Caroline played a weak 1st set.
I've seen this so often now, where Caroline starts a big match like she's not ready. She did that a year ago vs Kim. Against Kanepi she was down 16 15!!
Begu 26 26. She gave Sveta the 1st set without a fight. Vika was down 14 and fought back and Sveta lost 11 of the last 13 games. She lost in 2 to Kerber also.
Caroline has to fight it out the whole match. She doesnt anymore. Maybe mentally, she cant do it anymore.
Once players like Ivanovic or Sveta or Kanepi are up a set, they have a lot more fight in them. Especially against someone who seems like they fell off a cliff mentally. They all see what we see. That Caro is not the mentally tough player she used to be.

We disagree, but its one match. Lets see if she can become a contender at these next 4 hardcourt Premiers/Mandatories.

One thing Caroline has: is time. If she can slowly get back into the mix at the elite level, opportunities (like Vika just took advantage of) will be there
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #527
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

The other aspect, thats huge, is that Jankovic & Ivanovic, no matter how hard they try, cant recapture the level they had.
Thats a problem when you have fame & wealth & all the advantages of being a great player.
I remember a coach said you have to play like a pauper, not a princess. Digging deep is a lot harder when you are not as hungry. You have to be very motivated at this level. This is the best in the world, and its very hard work, especially the mental focus needed both in every practice and in every game
Connors said about Nadal: He plays like he's broke.
That's not easy. Aches & pains come with that also

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #528
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
The other aspect, thats huge, is that Jankovic & Ivanovic, no matter how hard they try, cant recapture the level they had.
Thats a problem when you have fame & wealth & all the advantages of being a great player.
I remember a coach said you have to play like a pauper, not a princess. Digging deep is a lot harder when you are not as hungry. You have to be very motivated at this level. This is the best in the world, and its very hard work, especially the mental focus needed both in every practice and in every game
Connors said about Nadal: He plays like he's broke.
That's not easy. Aches & pains come with that also
Great quote, very true. I don't know about JJ but Ana has got quite comfortable at the top of the game and many of her long-term fans confirmed that she lost her commitment and drive because of a high-life that she was living. Then she got a smack of reality when her ranking plummeted and suddenly there was an uphill battle to get back to where she was. I think that seeing her example the other players can take a lot of lessons about how important is to have a good attitude. I think Caro is more committed to her career than JJ or Ana but there are many distractions around her which can cause that she loses her focus. We'll see if she finds the right work-life balance which could help her results. Maybe her mini-slump was good in that sense just as a reminder of how fast can things change and how easy it is to go from a consistent player to an inconsistent one.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #529
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Its more than win or lose. I thought Caroline played a weak 1st set.
I've seen this so often now, where Caroline starts a big match like she's not ready. She did that a year ago vs Kim. Against Kanepi she was down 16 15!!
Begu 26 26. She gave Sveta the 1st set without a fight. Vika was down 14 and fought back and Sveta lost 11 of the last 13 games. She lost in 2 to Kerber also.
Caroline has to fight it out the whole match. She doesnt anymore. Maybe mentally, she cant do it anymore.
Once players like Ivanovic or Sveta or Kanepi are up a set, they have a lot more fight in them. Especially against someone who seems like they fell off a cliff mentally. They all see what we see. That Caro is not the mentally tough player she used to be.

We disagree, but its one match. Lets see if she can become a contender at these next 4 hardcourt Premiers/Mandatories.

One thing Caroline has: is time. If she can slowly get back into the mix at the elite level, opportunities (like Vika just took advantage of) will be there
I agree that of the 3 sets - the 1st set was her weakest. She really shouldn't have lost that 3rd game to go 1-2 and then she couldn't get it back. With the overall level Caro played - I haven't mentioned that because it seemed a bit over picky and the whole match overall was much better than I've been used to. Also Sveta played pretty well in the 1st set after that 3rd game in the 1st set. She pretty well got most of her UEs in the 1st set out the way in those 1st 3 games so her game was working well for her.

I think with the slow starts that this ties up with how her opponents think going into a match. They think they can beat her and they play well. I remember Caro's matches with JJ when JJ had such a good record against Caro. JJ always went into the lead and Caro pegged it back. So yes - there's always room for improvement there. But I'd settle for Caro making 23 winners to 22 UEs every match right now against opponents who are tough for her rather than how she has been playing most of the time.

And you are absolutely right about the importance of the next 4 hardcourt Premiers/Mandatories. I'd like her to go into those tournaments with an attitude of improving but also a positive frame of mind that she can play well and has played well from the match. She did it then so it's not impossible for her. And try to keep the positives of that match and not let that drop with tons of UEs and nothing to compensate for them.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : Jan 27th, 2013 at 04:35 PM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #530
country flag goldenlox

I hope Caroline feels positive about her last match. Because she can still turn it all around and get back that aura, where her opponents dont want her name in their section of the draw.
The way to do it, is to keep playing better and better. Start winning these matches, and get thru your draw.
Thats what Vika does now. Players seem to wilt after Vika wins a set.
It used to be that way for Caroline. But she has to keep her level high as long as she can, every match.

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #531
country flag backhandsmash

backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute

Get a better breakpoint percentage, please! And stop keeping your opponent in the point when you have a super-obvious putaway.
backhandsmash is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #532
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsmash View Post
And stop keeping your opponent in the point when you have a super-obvious putaway.
Thats what she should have been working on, along with her serve. Defense to offense is where she has to improve. There's still plenty of time to improve

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #533
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
I don't know about JJ but Ana has got quite comfortable at the top of the game and many of her long-term fans confirmed that she lost her commitment and drive because of a high-life that she was living.
The rest of your post was fine but I chose to focus on this part.....You did well to distinguish between the Serbs and,IMO,Caro is more similar to the former.It's no secret that,her B.S. p.r. statements to the contrary,Ana has QUIT and accepted being an above-average,Top 15 player whose ranking is sufficiently high enough to draw endorsement ops and photo shoots as she collects on her lucrative Adidas contract which is only valid if she's an active player.Her 'fitness training' is often a joke and she's shown an unwillingness to deal with her on-court psychological problems or make the sort of commitment required to stay an elite player...as she was for a very brief stretch.

JJ is several years older...not to the point where she's over the hill but where,possibly,doubt is creeping in on her.With her style of play,she has to work much harder than some of the more naturally-gifted gals do,and I think that she shares that challenge with Caroline.To me,JJ seemed to drop off a bit,in terms of intensity,the year after she lost the USO final to Serena.Maybe a part of her said within herself that she'd never make that final hurdle if she couldn't do so in her best-ever season.I haven't ever followed Jelena THAT closely so I can't really judge where she is,mentally,right now.

Caroline is much younger than JJ,though,so there remains a reasonable window of opportunity for her.I still have concerns that Caro is overly dependent on her dad for support,but I state that as suspicion and not fact.It would be nice if they brought in a highly-respected coach as consultant,at some point...one who could work well with the two of them w/o disturbing their comfort zone too much

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

JUSTICIA PARA LAS NORMALISTAS!! Pena de muerte para todos los narcos en Mexico!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #534
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

AO was only an ok tournament for Caroline. She can`t be happy with a R4 exit

Kuznetsova was close to her best form, very motivated to beat Caroline. The biggest difference in the match was the serve. Kuznetsova`s serve was a weapon, Caroline`s serve a weakness. Kuznetsova always attacked Caro`s weak serve. Horrible 1st set from Caroline. A set to forget. Caroline played very well in 2nd set and in 3rd set until 5-4. Then unfortunately lost the next 3 games and the match. Kuznetsova was simply mentally stronger than Caroline, this used to be the other way around. Overall a rather high quality match. Some amazing backhand winners from Caroline. Also nice stats. Caro had 23 Winners, 22 UEs. Kuznetsova 52 Winners, 41 UEs.

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #535
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

23 winners 22 unforced errors in three sets averages out to about 15 winners 15 unforced errors for two sets.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #536
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucolo View Post
It could have been a good comeback tournament if she beat Sveta & played Vika close. She wasnt that far from it.
Now there's more hardcourt Premiers coming. Its important that she establishes herself again. Which means getting thru these draws until she's playing Vika or Aga or Kerber, someone that level. Then she has to really fight and make those matches a meaningful statement.
But as long as she is losing to noncontenders, playing well for parts of the match doesnt change much

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #537
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed,playing well for PARTS of matches,instead of entire ones,is usually a clear line of demarcation that separates GOOD players--and Caro currently belongs to that group--from great ones.

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

JUSTICIA PARA LAS NORMALISTAS!! Pena de muerte para todos los narcos en Mexico!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #538
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucolo View Post

Kuznetsova was close to her best form, very motivated to beat Caroline. The biggest difference in the match was the serve. Kuznetsova`s serve was a weapon, Caroline`s serve a weakness. Kuznetsova always attacked Caro`s weak serve. Horrible 1st set from Caroline. A set to forget. Caroline played very well in 2nd set and in 3rd set until 5-4. Then unfortunately lost the next 3 games and the match. Kuznetsova was simply mentally stronger than Caroline, this used to be the other way around. Overall a rather high quality match. Some amazing backhand winners from Caroline. Also nice stats. Caro had 23 Winners, 22 UEs. Kuznetsova 52 Winners, 41 UEs.
Don't forget those 2 well-timed MTOs that Kuz took on her way to this pyrrhic victory. I agree about the wasted 1st set though. It just slipped through Caro's hands and even though she then won the following set I never had the feeling she was on the way to win the entire match.
As for Kuz game, she did so much better at the net. This is one of the things that Caro should really improve, she never came up with effective defense to stop Kuznetsova when she went to the net. No good passing shots or lobs to save her life
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #539
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Don't forget those 2 well-timed MTOs that Kuz took on her way to this pyrrhic victory. I agree about the wasted 1st set though. It just slipped through Caro's hands and even though she then won the following set I never had the feeling she was on the way to win the entire match.
As for Kuz game, she did so much better at the net. This is one of the things that Caro should really improve, she never came up with effective defense to stop Kuznetsova when she went to the net. No good passing shots or lobs to save her life
The positive of the last 18 months is that at least they understand that Caroline cant start swatting forehands around and expect to win, as she was doing with defense.
The negative part is that she doesnt finish off matches the way she used to.
Everyone has tough matches along the way. Djokjovic almost lost to Wawrinka. You have to close, especially in early rounds against players who are not contenders for the title.
Thats something she really has to improve on. Its the main reason Vika has 2 majors and Caroline has none. You cant have match point on your serve in slam semi and then collapse. Those are the moments you have to be mentally ready for every shot of every point.
There are a lot of talented players who dont get thru draws. Part of it is Caroline's serve. Thats something she should be working on every practice. Her team should be studying all of her serves.

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #540
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes the play at the net was the most marked difference between them. I don't think there was so much difference between them on the serve. The stats of serve give an edge to Sveta - but it's not much. But Sveta definitely was brilliant at the net. I remember a point in the 3rd set that Sveta missed at the net and I was quite shocked and relieved because I couldn't remember her missing anything there up till then. Caro had some points she was in control of the point and by rights were hers but where she was unable to control the point to win it at the net. I actually think Caro did improve quite a lot at the net until about a year ago but has now slipped back in that area.

I still think that playing doubles could help Caro with her netplay

Just checked the stats on netplay and serves:
On net points won: Sveta was 23/25=92%, Caro was 8/19=42%.
Incidentally against Vika
On net points won: Sveta was 11/12=92% Vika was 11/22=50% at the net.
And on serves won: Caro won 53/95=55.8%, Sveta was 57/96=59.3%.
Caro's 2nd serve % was only 15/33=45% and that has always been an achilles heel but she got a greater % of 1st serves in than Sveta.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread