Report: Half of Gold Badge Umpiring Crew Boycotting USO - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #91
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Report: Half of Gold Badge Umpiring Crew Boycotting USO

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/07/sp...open.html?_r=1

Much better quality article from the NY Times
Jane Lane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 7th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #92
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

Not allowed to give interviews without permission? Intense.

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #93
country flag stangtennis

stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...rtime-pay.html

Four U.S. Open Umpires Sue U.S. Tennis Association Demanding Overtime Pay

By Bob Van Voris - Sep 9, 2011 12:09 AM GMT+0200

Four U.S. Open umpires sued the U.S. Tennis Association, claiming the group misclassified them as independent contractors to avoid giving them overtime and other pay.

The umpires, who seek to represent hundreds of U.S. Open umpires going back to the 2005 Open, filed a complaint against the tennis governing body today in federal court in Manhattan. The suit claims the USTA violated federal and state pay laws and seeks unspecified damages on behalf of the umpires.

“Umpires were paid based upon a schedule set and dictated by defendant,” the umpires said in their complaint. “Umpires regularly worked in excess of 40 hours per week but were not properly paid wages due them including but not limited to overtime for hours in excess of 40 hours per week.”

The 2011 U.S. Open is currently under way at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Queens, New York.

Chris Widmaier, a USTA spokesman, declined to immediately comment on the suit.

The suit was filed by Steven Meyer and Marc Bell, both of whom live in Florida, and Larry Mulligan-Gibbs of Pennsylvania and Aimee Johnson of Louisiana. All have been employed by the USTA as umpires, according to the complaint.

The plaintiffs claim the USTA hires umpires for the Open and assigns their work, sets their pay and hours, prescribes a dress code and maintains policies governing umpire conduct on and off the court.

According to the umpires, pay for last year’s Open ranged from $115 a day for USTA sectional or provisional umpires in qualifying matches to $200 a day for gold-badge chair umpires in main-draw matches. Umpires often worked more than eight hours a day, seven days a week, depending on the length of matches and weather delays, they said.

The case is Meyer v. United States Tennis Association, 11- CV-6268, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York (Manhattan).

To contact the reporter on this story: Bob Van Voris in New York at rvanvoris@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Hytha at mhytha@bloomberg.net

Last edited by stangtennis : Sep 8th, 2011 at 10:37 PM.
stangtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #94
country flag Rocketta
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute

hmm, I don't know if they are going to have a case... many people work more than 40 hours a week and don't get overtime... they are called exempt employees... ie, exempt from overtime pay....... I don't know what kind of contracts umpires sign or what kind of pay stub at the end of the year they get... If they get issued a 1099-misc.... they are screwed because they are independent contractors... if they get W-2s then they are not and it comes down to exempt or non-exempt.

hmmm, I bet they wished they had a union... but this type of treatment is really what most of the country has to look forward to with the conscious effort to undermine worker's rights in this country.
Rocketta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #95
country flag woodrow1029

woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all

it's 1099 income. Steven Meyer is an attorney that lives in Florida. Aimee Johnson is a Judge that lives in Louisiana.
woodrow1029 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #96
country flag Rocketta

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow1029 View Post
it's 1099 income. Steven Meyer is an attorney that lives in Florida. Aimee Johnson is a Judge that lives in Louisiana.
well then they will probably have a really hard time proving that they are actually non-exempt employees... Good luck to them!
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 12:07 AM   #97
country flag stangtennis

stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute

But being an attorney and a judge, they should know the legal system really well and be well prepared. They must believe they have a good case.
stangtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #98
country flag Rocketta

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangtennis View Post
But being an attorney and a judge, they should know the legal system really well and be well prepared. They must believe they have a good case.
or that they can cause enough problems that the USTA will be willing to settle the case instead of fighting a long drawn out case and change the pay scale in the future??
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #99
country flag woodrow1029

woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all woodrow1029 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketta View Post
or that they can cause enough problems that the USTA will be willing to settle the case instead of fighting a long drawn out case and change the pay scale in the future??
This is what I think
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #100
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangtennis View Post
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...rtime-pay.html

Four U.S. Open Umpires Sue U.S. Tennis Association Demanding Overtime Pay

By Bob Van Voris - Sep 9, 2011 12:09 AM GMT+0200

Four U.S. Open umpires sued the U.S. Tennis Association, claiming the group misclassified them as independent contractors to avoid giving them overtime and other pay.

The umpires, who seek to represent hundreds of U.S. Open umpires going back to the 2005 Open, filed a complaint against the tennis governing body today in federal court in Manhattan. The suit claims the USTA violated federal and state pay laws and seeks unspecified damages on behalf of the umpires.

“Umpires were paid based upon a schedule set and dictated by defendant,” the umpires said in their complaint. “Umpires regularly worked in excess of 40 hours per week but were not properly paid wages due them including but not limited to overtime for hours in excess of 40 hours per week.”

The 2011 U.S. Open is currently under way at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Queens, New York.

Chris Widmaier, a USTA spokesman, declined to immediately comment on the suit.

The suit was filed by Steven Meyer and Marc Bell, both of whom live in Florida, and Larry Mulligan-Gibbs of Pennsylvania and Aimee Johnson of Louisiana. All have been employed by the USTA as umpires, according to the complaint.

The plaintiffs claim the USTA hires umpires for the Open and assigns their work, sets their pay and hours, prescribes a dress code and maintains policies governing umpire conduct on and off the court.

According to the umpires, pay for last year’s Open ranged from $115 a day for USTA sectional or provisional umpires in qualifying matches to $200 a day for gold-badge chair umpires in main-draw matches. Umpires often worked more than eight hours a day, seven days a week, depending on the length of matches and weather delays, they said.

The case is Meyer v. United States Tennis Association, 11- CV-6268, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York (Manhattan).

To contact the reporter on this story: Bob Van Voris in New York at rvanvoris@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Hytha at mhytha@bloomberg.net
Dayum.

Didn't the USTA attempt to portray the boycotting/complaining umpires as if they were a bunch of isolated crybabies in far away lands? I guess they're not.

This appears to be a co-ordinated multi flank attack. I guess tennis umpires are smarter than the average bear
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #101
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute

So does anyone know what was the resolution of the lawsuit? Also, has the US Open increased umpire's pay in2012?
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #102
country flag woodrow1029

The lawsuit did not involve chair umpires. Only line umpires.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #103
country flag crescentmoon

crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketta View Post
well then they will probably have a really hard time proving that they are actually non-exempt employees... Good luck to them!
Well, it depends. I think 1099 is terrible but if they get a decent wage to offset the deductions they have to pay for themselves out of pocket it would help, but I doubt it.

OMG, never mind, I just saw the wages and they are terrible. Well, they are getting screwed IMO since they have 1099's.

Last edited by crescentmoon : Mar 7th, 2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: add
crescentmoon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #104
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping my thread from two years ago, eh.
Jane Lane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote