How will our girls fare at this year's Open? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 05:47 AM   #1
country flag GoSandrine

GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future
How will our girls fare at this year's Open?

I posted this in the US Open thread but figured I'd post it here also.

Any thoughts on the following matchups and how far they might go?

Silvia Farina Elia ITA (21) vs. (Q)Maria Emelia Salerni ARG (161)
Francesca Schiavone ITA (29) vs. Eva Vislova SVK (99)
Rita Grande ITA (64) vs. Tamarine Tanasugarn THA (42)
Flavia Penetta ITA (58) vs. Svetlana Kuznetsova RUS (27)
Antonella Serra Zanetti ITA (85) vs. Stephanie Foretz FRA (80)
Maria Elena Camein ITA (96) vs. Daja Bedanova CZE (88)
(Q)Adriana Serra Zanetti ITA (110) vs. Denisa Chladkova CZE (41)
Tathiana Garbin ITA (109) vs. (Q) Mara Santangelo ITA (127)

Both Silvia and Francesca made it to the final 16 last year and I'm hoping for a repeat performance. With the draw opened up as a result of Venus' withdrawal they could actually face each other in the fourth round this year - at least I'm hoping.

As for the others it looks precarious but I'm hoping for the best.

Also, anyone know why Roberta Vinci wasn't here for qualies? Is she injured? Eggy, are you there?
GoSandrine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:11 AM   #2
country flag Benny

Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all
I think that most of the girls will go inot the next round, except for Grande, Penetta, Santangelo.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 04:23 PM   #3
country flag GABRIEL

GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of
Hi Ed, long time not seeing you in here....
I was actually going to post a Roby Vinci thread asking if somebody knows how she is. I know she was injured in Cuneo, & I thought it was something not serious, but when I saw that she did not enter qualies in NY it mus be something worst than I expected
Eggy ??? do you kow something ???? I do not live in Italy anymore so cannot get information about italian players so easily !!!

Regarding the draw for the Italians....
Silvia should make it to the second round and she has a decent draw, but she needs to pick up her game, Maria Emilia surpirsed me in qualifying...she could be dangerous
Francesca is my best bet for a QF finish
Rita should lose to Tamatine, unfortunately, Rita's form this year is very poor
Flavia was not lucky and she will go out in the first round
Antonella is another one in poor form and should lose to Foretz
Maria Elena it will depend on Daja's form, I'd say Maria Elena has a chance
Adriana...I hop she wins it, but she is not favourite
finally, Tax should beat Mara and go back into the top 100
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 05:02 AM   #4
country flag GoSandrine

GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future
Hi Benny and Gabriel

Where are you living now, Gabriel? Are you in New York? If so it would be fun to meet up this week. My Sandrine Marine buddies Nicolas (Kaelin) and Jerome (Rated_Next) are in from Paris and Vancouver, we had a day of sightseeing today and I'm on vacation this week so we hope to see lots of matches.

With Sandrine retired and Monica on her way to retirement my hopes lie with Chanda Rubin, the rest of the American ladies and Italians. Hopefully I won't be too disappointed and a few of my Italian faves will surprise.
GoSandrine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:52 PM   #5
Hikaru

Hikaru is just really nice Hikaru is just really nice Hikaru is just really nice Hikaru is just really nice Hikaru is just really nice Hikaru is just really nice Hikaru is just really nice Hikaru is just really nice Hikaru is just really nice Hikaru is just really nice Hikaru is just really nice
I want to see Italian No.1 player Silvia against Japanese No.1 Ai Sugiyama in the 3rd round.
Rita and Flavia have a tough draw.
Tax vs Mara Santangelo, I'll root for Tax.
Anyway in bocca al lupo for all !! especially Tathi !!!

To laugh oftern and much;
to win the respect of intelligent people and affection of children;
to earn the appriciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appriciate beauty;
to find the best in others;
to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
to know even one life has breathed easier because you lived.
This is to have succeeded.
Hikaru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 06:14 PM   #6
country flag Darop.

Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute
I think mara will beat Tax, Tax is really doing bad, I saw her play against Petrova, and she was using no tactics...

Darop. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #7
country flag Darop.

Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute
Antonella beat Foretz 6-4 in the third set!!

Go antonella!

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 04:52 PM   #8
country flag GABRIEL

GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of GABRIEL has much to be proud of
Hi again,
our girls did well yesterday, with Silvia, Francesca, Antonella and Tax winning....I got it all right with my predictions !!!
Ed, I live in Cancun, I was in NY for USO 3 years ago, I was hoping to go again this year but I have too much work here....maybe next year.
If yu ever come to Cancun let me know, I travel a lot to the US so next time I am around LA (you live in that area, right ?) I will let you know.

Next round predictions now :
Maria Elena - no chance against Lindsay, just do your best
Antonella - same thing against Anastasia
Silvia - I am worried about this match, Silvia always suffered a lot Pratt's game, I hope Silvia can reach 3rd round but then she should lose to Ai who is in fantastic form
Francesca - should beat Parra easily
Tax - I'd say she has a chance against Shinobu, but the japanese is favourite, especially after the good victory over Maleeva
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 08:14 PM   #9
country flag Darop.

GABRIEL, ur predicitons are great...

Silvia lost, in 3 sets...

So did aìtax, in 3 sets....

Antonella is palying now, and is set point down in this moment....

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 10:45 PM   #10
country flag GABRIEL

I knew Tax and Silvia were in danger of losing....
I am surprised by Antonella's result, but that is probably due to Anastasia bad form, not to Antonella's brilliant game

I can see retirement coming for Silvia, she changed her mind after Strasbourg and Wimbledon, but last results have been very poor and it hurts to see her losing so often to lower ranked players

Francesca has a great chance to reach the QF : she is favourite against Tina Pisnik, and then a possible match against Sugiyama
But she must pick up her game, good luck Franci, the next Italy's nr one !!!