The attacking player myth - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #1
country flag Leo St

Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute
The attacking player myth

triggered by the reaction some people had over sharapova's defeat, saying she played bad, (which is a discussion for another place) i got to think of something thats on my mind for a long time.

people often look at the unforced errors to determine how well did someone play. despite the fact that sometimes thats the way to go, (because one can, indeed, spray errors unprovoked) usually its not an accurate analysis.

i say so because agressive players are usually very intense on court and usually can only sustain that level in short to medium exchanges. if the other person can still grind in the rallies, even when presented with huge attacking power, its a matter of time when, even the greatest attacking player will miss. i certainly dont agree to mark this miss as an unforced error, since the opponent showed answers to your every move until you couldnt keep up

thats how you overlook deffense based players such as radwanska or kerber, who, in their good days, make you kill with your own weapons..

anyway, what do you think of that matter, guys? is there such thing as make to make you hit an unforced error, or even an UE in long rallies can be credited as bad play and the players own fault?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint2 View Post
V Williams is like 63453 years old.

Last edited by Leo St : Jan 25th, 2013 at 08:22 PM.
Leo St is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #2
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The attacking player mith

myth

If a player feels the need to become more aggressive and makes more mistakes, perhaps because it isn't working as well against her opponent, I still call those unforced errors, because the player has the option to change course of action and did not. Still, it is a difficult call to make, I suppose. But I think it is just as hard to determine forced errors as it is easy to see unforced errors.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote