1983 - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 17th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #46
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

Another Jaeger excerpt...

INDIANA TV SPORTSCASTER IS HEARING "SILENT KNIGHT"
Lexington Herald-Leader
Sunday, January 9, 1983
Herald-Leader wire services

[...]

Sweet 17: At the tender age of 17, Andrea Jaeger is the youngest millionaire on the women's tennis tour and the third-ranked player in the world.

"She wouldn' t have existed before 1970," said Anna Laird, Virginia Slims' director of worldwide operations. "Chris (Evert Lloyd) became a role model for a certain generation that liked ponytails, earrings and makeup. Andrea became a role model for kids who want to be able to play soccer and watch football and know all the stats about the best pass defense. Before they had to keep it all within. Now they can afford to have male attitudes about sports and be female and be feminine. Andrea helped make it acceptable for women to have a male attitude about sports."

Even so, Jaeger has given up riding her motorcycle. "After a certain age, girls don' t look good on motorcycles," she said, "unless you're on the back and a guy' s driving. That's cool."

[...]
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #47

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

My plan to try to do this by tournaments is not going to work, so I'm just going to wing it and post them as i find them.

NAVRATILOVA CAN UNDERSTAND BORG'S EXIT
The Miami Herald
Monday, March 7, 1983
BOB GREENE, Associated Press

Martina Navratilova is No. 1 among women tennis players. That's why she understands Bjorn Borg's decision to retire from the sport.

"He saw the other side of the mountain," said Navratilova, who lost only three matches in 1982 and began 1983 by capturing the first two Virginia Slims stops at Washington and Houston in January.

"There's not that many days you have free," continued Navratilova, who was to play Chris Evert Lloyd Sunday in the final of a tournament in Inglewood, Calif. "That's where the commitment is -- planning your whole day around tennis.

"You can have only one glass of wine with dinner because a second glass will affect you the next day. You have to be in bed early enough to get nine hours of sleep. Everything you do is planned around either playing or practicing."

Borg took a five-month vacation from tennis at the start of the 1982 season, then dropped off the tour after two tournaments when he refused to sign up for the minimum number of stops and was forced to qualify for every Volvo Grand Prix event he entered. After he lost in the quarterfinals at Monte Carlo and failed to get through the qualifying at Las Vegas, he took off the remainder of the year.

Then, in January, Borg announced he would no longer compete full-time.

"With Bjorn, he knows what it is to be No. 1 and he knows what it takes to be No. 1 again," said Navratilova. "He wouldn't want to do anything halfway."

Navratilova hasn't done anything halfway in the past year. She collected a women's record $1,475,055, bringing her career earnings to nearly $5 million -- the highest of any tennis player, male or female.

Like Borg, Navratilova has never won the U.S. Open, although she has captured the other three Grand Slam events -- Wimbledon and the French and Australian Opens.

In 1981 at the U.S. Open finals, she crushed Tracy Austin 6-1 in the first set before losing. She lost to Pam Shriver, her closest friend on the tour and her doubles partner, in the quarterfinals of the 1982 U.S. Open.

"The last two years were the only times I gave it a really good chance," she said of winning America's premiere tennis tournament. "The best chance was when I played Tracy. Last year, mentally I was as ready as I could be."

But Shriver and an ailment that left Navratilova weak stopped yet another bid for the elusive U.S. Open crown.

In New York recently, Navratilova noted the success of players from her native Czechoslovakia -- Ivan Lendl and Tomas Smid on the men's tour, and a host of young players on the women's tour, headed by Hana Mandlikova.

"I've helped because they can do whatever they want to," she said.

When she was the promising young star, Navratilova felt she could not reach her full potential because the Czechoslovak government refused to allow her to compete full-time on the tour.

"I would leave the country to play a couple of tournaments, then I would have to return home," she said. "There was nothing between Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, except maybe the European championships."

After the 1976 U.S. Open, Navratilova defected and became an American citizen in 1981. Since her defection, the Czechoslovak players have received far greater freedom. Last year, Lendl, who is now ranked No. 2 in the world on the Association of Tennis Professionals computer, earned a record $2 million.

Although they have to give a percentage of their earnings to the Czechoslovak Tennis Federation, the players are allowed to keep a large portion of their money. Lendl and Mandlikova have purchased homes in Florida.

Navratilova takes pride in that. Now, she hopes to give something back to the game with the creation of the Martina Youth Foundation.

"The purpose of the Martina Youth Foundation is to motivate underprivileged children to learn about a sport that can have a positive effect on all aspects of their lives," she said.

"I like kids. Basically I'm for the underdogs -- women, old people, minorities. Through tennis, the kids can get tennis scholarships, go to school and get a better education.

"Right now, we are really just beginning to get the Martina Youth Foundation on its feet. Once we get it going, the possibilities are endless."

Although Navratilova is currently providing the sole financial backing for the foundation, she plans to organize such fund-raising efforts as dinners, exhibitions and auctions of tennis equipment donated by players.

"I know I have to feel I'm making a contribution," Martina said.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #48

Was this an exhibition or a sanctioned tournament?

NAVRATILOVA FIGHTS OFF COMPLACENCY
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, March 8, 1983
ASSOCIATED PRESS

Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert Lloyd, the world's top- ranked women tennis players, brought greater ambitions to the $165,000 Carta Blanca-FCT Women's Invitational than simply winning the $35,000 singles prize.

"I want to make sure I don't get complacent," said Navratilova after defeating Evert Lloyd, 6-1, 6-3, Sunday. "My goal is to top last year, to win Wimbledon, the U.S. Open, and with luck, to win the grand slam."

Evert Lloyd said she also had extra incentive going into the 50th match between the two, a series she leads, 30-20.

"You work harder when you're No. 2," she said. "I was No. 1 for seven years; I would love to be No. 1 again."

In the first set, Navratilova took a 5-1 lead, but Evert Lloyd took her to deuce twice in the final game.

Evert Lloyd started strong in the second set, leading, 3-1, on an unforced error by Navratilova. But Navratilova came back with 12 straight points to take a 4-3 lead.

"It helps to get the year off on the right foot," Navratilova said. "I had two bad games with unforced errors, but Chris is the toughest one to play.

"I now know I can rally from the baseline. I was winning the majority of the points from the baseline. Everything was going in. I can still play better, but at this point I don't know how much better."

From Evert Lloyd's side of the court, the assessment was a bit higher.

"I don't think she has ever played better," said Evert Lloyd, who earned $25,000. "We've played 50 times too many. I have to find a chink in her armor. Maybe she'll get burned out if she keeps playing like this.

"It's the best match she has ever played me -- one of those days she couldn't do anything wrong."

But Evert Lloyd remained optimistic. "If I felt Martina was the perfect player, I wouldn't come out on the same court with her," she said.

Navratilova and Evert Lloyd paired to win the $10,000 doubles title Sunday night with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Bettina Bunge and Billie Jean King.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #49

NAVRATILOVA OVERWHELMS EVERT IN TITLE MATCH
The Miami Herald
Monday, March 7, 1983
ASSOCIATED PRESS

Top-seeded Martina Navratilova defeated second seed Chris Evert Lloyd, 6-1, 6-3, Sunday to capture the $165,000 Carta Blanca Women's Invitational in the Forum.

The championship match was the 50th meeting of the world's top two women's tennis players, and despite the loss, Evert still holds the series advantage at 30-20.

In the first set, Navratilova held a 5-1 lead, but Evert still managed to make it tough, taking Navratilova to deuce twice in the final game.

Evert started out strongly in the second set, taking a 3-1 lead on an unforced error by Navratilova. But Navratilova came back with 12 consecutive points to take a 4-3 lead and eventually the $35,000 first prize.

"I now know I can rally from the baseline," said Navratilova. "I was winning the majority of the points from the baseline. Everything was going in today.

"I don't think she has ever played better," said Evert. "We've played 50 times too many. I have to find a chink in her armor. Maybe she'll get burned out if she keeps playing like this.

"It's the best match she has ever played me, one of those days she couldn't do anything wrong."
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #50

I think this is the VS of Dallas...

EVERT SOLVES HARD-HITTING PFAFF
The Miami Herald
Friday, March 11, 1983
UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL

Chris Evert Lloyd was not prepared for such a powerful serve from German Eva Pfaff, but the second-ranked women's tennis player in the world managed to adjust and come out like a champion.

Pfaff, ranked 29th in the world, took the first set, 6-3, but Evert won the following two sets 6-3, 6-3 and the second- round match in the $150,000 Virgina Slims Tournament Wednesday.

The pivotal game came in the third set when Pfaff had gone ahead by after her second serve. Evert came back from a 3-0 deficit to bring the match to deuce four times before finally winning the game to tie the set at 2-2.

Evert began capitalizing on Pfaff errors to take the last four games.

"I didn't expect that tough of a serve," Evert said. "She was sending bullets. She hits harder than anyone, I'm sure. Her service is the best part of her game. Her second serve is harder than my first serve."

In adjusting her game to match Pfaff's booming volleys, Evert had some difficulty with her own serve, double-faulting six times during the match.

"I think that's a record for me." Evert said. "I was coming down on the ball, ducking it, until I figured that out in the third set."

Though Pfaff, 22, gave Evert a fight, she insisted she did not play well.

"From the beginning, I thought I had a chance," said Pfaff. "Unfortunately, I missed a lot of easy shots throughout the whole match."
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #51

NAVRATILOVA, EVERT COAST TO WINS
The Miami Herald
Thursday, March 10, 1983

Defending champion and top-seed Martina Navratilova and second- seed Chris Evert-Lloyd had few problems winning their first round matches in the $150,000 Virginia Slims championships.

Navratilova took only 50 minutes Tuesday to eliminate Sue Barker of England, 6-1, 6-2, despite a surge by Barker in the last game of the first set. Barker bounced back to deuce seven times before finally bowing. She took another victory on her first serve of the second set to tie the match, but Navratilova perservered, charging the net to take the next three games.

"My game is at a higher stage this year than it was at this time last year," Navratilova said. "My backhand is a lot better. I'm finally feeling better about it and I'm adding a few shots to my game and mixing up my serves."

Evert barely worked up a sweat in her 6-1, 6-0 triumph over 43rd-ranked Mary Lou Piatek.

Piatek's only success came in the third game of the first first set when she battled back from a 2-0 deficit to capture the next four points. However, Evert was taking her time, pounding shots from the baseline. At one point in the second set, Evert won 11 straight points.

Third-seed Pam Shriver beat Alycia Moulton of Sacramento, Calif., 6-3, 6-4. Shriver meets Wendy White in the second round, while Navratilova plays Ann Kiyomura and Evert plays West German Eva Pfaff.

In other first-round matches, sixth-seeded Hana Mandlikova, ranked eighth in the world, tripped up Diane Fromholtz, 6-4, 6-4, and seventh-seeded Bettina Bunge, ranked ninth in the world, eliminated Rosalyn Fairbank, 6-0, 6-2.

West German Claudia Kohde came back after losing the first game 6-3 to beat Kathy Jordan in the next two games, 6-2, 6-2. Kohde meets Jo Durie, who eliminated eighth-seeded Kathy Rinaldi in her first round match.

Yvonne Vernaak had little trouble beating qualifier Marcella Skuherski 6-4, 6-1. Vernaak meets fourth-seed Wendy Turnbull in the second round.

Anne Kiyomura won a tie-breaker in her first game before eliminating Sabina Simmonds, 7-6 (7-3), 6-3, in the first round.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #52

NAVRATILOVA RIPS EVERT
The Miami Herald
Monday, March 14, 1983
From Herald Wire Services

In their first official tournament showdown of the year, No. 1-ranked Martina Navratilova still had No. 2-ranked Chris Evert Lloyd's number Sunday.

Navratilova earned her fifth consecutive Virginia Slims of Dallas title with a 6-4, 6-0 rout of Evert that took only 77 minutes.

"I didn't feel that I played well," said Navratilova, who beat Evert in three of four tournament matches last year. "I played at about 75 per cent of my potential."

She added, "I guess the people are getting tired of seeing me win here. Well, that's fine with me. It makes me feel good, particularly against an opponent like Chris."

Evert lost her biggest chance with the first set tied four- all and Navratilova down, 5-40, on her serve.

"I had my chances right there but I didn't play aggressively enough and let her win the game," Evert said. "I have no excuses. I learned some things about Martina's game today."

Navratilova won nine straight games to close out the match.

"This [indoors] is her best surface," said Evert. "It's different outdoors. She lets little things bother her. She plays her best under controlled conditions."

Navratilova, who beat Evert in an exhibition match a week ago that didn't count in the point standings, has won 21 consecutive matches this year.

The $30,000 first-place money boosted Navratilova's earnings to $132,500 for the year. Evert, making her first Dallas appearance in five years, won $15,000 to bring her year's total to $42,500.

Evert uncharacteristically came to the net to try to rattle Navratilova, but the strategy failed as she committed errors on half of her volleys.

Evert is 30-21 lifetime in tournament matches against Navratilova but has lost 10 of their last 13 meetings.

An estimated crowd of 13,000 at Moody Stadium watched the first meeting of the year between the two women stars. * * *

Fifth-seeded Peter McNamara of Australia upset top-seeded Ivan Lendl of Czechoslovakia, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), in the final of the $315,000 Belgian Grand Prix in Brussels.

McNamara won a two-hour 50-minute match in which Lendl pulled a groin muscle early in the second set and appeared on the verge of defaulting.

From the beginning of the match, the 27-year-old McNamara was the favorite of the capacity crowd, which chanted his name at key points.

"The crowd is really the reason I won the match," McNamara said. "I got real excited in the tiebreaker. I don't think I have ever been that excited in my life."

McNamara earned $50,000, and Lendl received $25,000 as runnerup.

Despite the groin injury, Lendl said he never thought about giving up. "Peter played unbelievable today. He was not missing any balls. He very much deserved to win," Lendl said.

It was only the second loss for Lendl in his last 72 indoor matches. * * *

Unseeded Nick Saviano upset fellow American Chip Hooper, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, in the final of the $75,000 Lorraine SNVP Open Volvo Grand Prix in Nancy, France. Saviano won $15,000. Hooper, the No. 3 seed, earned $7,500 ... Ginny Purdy of Indianapolis defeated Claudia Monteiro of Brazil, 6-2, 7-5, in the final of the $50,000 Ginny of Pittsburgh tournament. It marked Purdy's first professional tour title, but the 16-year-old turned down the $7,000 winner's check because she competed as an amateur ... Sweden's Henrik Sundstrom, 19, won the $50,000 Tunis (Tunisia) Open 83 with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Thierry Tulsane of France ... South Africa's Cliff Drysdale upset top- seeded Rod Laver, 6-4, 6-2, to capture a $35,000 tournament at the Registry Resort in Scottsdale, Ariz. The victory earned Drysdale $10,000; Laver picked up $6,000.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #53

IS NAVRATILOVA LEAVING EVERT IN HER WAKE?
The Miami Herald
Wednesday, March 16, 1983
BOB RUBIN

Does Chris Evert Lloyd still belong on the same court with Martina Navratilova? The question arises because the rivalry between the two queens of tennis, so deliciously close and intense for so long, is starting to tilt decidedly in Martina's favor.

Anyone who writes off the formidable Mrs. Lloyd may wind up eating his words, but at least two experts are willing to take the risk.

"I think for Chris to win now, everything has to be in her favor, especially playing on a slow surface," said Fred Stolle, head pro at the Turnberry Isle Country Club, former French and Australian Open champion, and three-time Wimbledon finalist. "She'd have to be at her very best and catch Martina on a day she wasn't serving well."

Arthur Ashe, former U.S. Open and Wimbledon champion and current U.S. Davis Cup captain, agrees with Stolle. "It isn't too much of a rivalry right now," Ashe said. "Martina's a house on fire. Right now, she seems to be sacrificing more for tennis than any of the others. And let's face it, she's the best athlete on the women's tour, plain and simple."

A dissenting vote comes from veteran Rosie Casals. "I would never rule Chris out," she said. "Naturally, Martina's record has been unbelievable, and that gives her extra confidence. But I still think she considers Chris a real threat.

"I think it's still very much a rivalry. I think Chris will be gunning for Martina now. They've sort of reversed roles."

So the ball is in Chris' court, so to speak. No one else currently seems capable of challenging Martina, who has an other-worldly 111-3 record the past two years (21-0 in 1983). And she's not just beating people, she's annihilating them -- including Chris. Martina has beaten Chris decisively in their first two 1983 meetings, 6-1, 6-3 in an exhibition in Los Angeles two weeks ago, and 6-4, 6-0 in a Virginia Slims final in Dallas Sunday. Martina's last two victories came on fast indoor surfaces, where Martina's serve-and-volley game is virtually unbeatable, and the Dallas tournament was only Chris' second of the year as opposed to Martina's fourth.

Still, 6-0 against Evert would be impressive if it happened on the moon on Chris' wedding day.

Though Chris still holds a 30-21 career edge on Martina, Martina has won seven of their last 10 matches, eight of 11 if you count the L.A. match. In two of Chris' three victories, she was extended to three sets. Chris' only easy match was by an improbable 6-0, 6-0 score last year at Amelia Island, Fla., which is her home turf. Faced with intense crowd hostility, Martina simply tanked. No other way does she get double-bagled.

She hasn't been back to Amelia Island since, and don't look for her to return this century. Bobby Knight loves Puerto Rico in comparison.

The conventional line about the reigning monarch has always been "Nobody beats Martina but Martina." Bluntly, she has been a head case. She says that's over. "I don't think anything can bother me any more. The days of losing matches because I got upset are long gone."

She has said it before and then blown up, but she has been so consistently good the last year and three months there's reason to believe it may be true this time. The crowd was against her Sunday even in her adopted hometown of Dallas, but she was unaffected.

Martina is feeling so feisty these days, she says she's eager to meet Chris outdoors on clay, the setting and surface where Chris has always been deadly as a black widow. Martina notes proudly that in her last two outings against Chris, she has even been winning points consistently from the baseline, which is where Chris lives.

"It must frustrate her," Martina said, not sounding at all sorry about it. "I'm sure she's wondering how she's going to win when I can stand back on the baseline and trade shots with her."In discussing her latest loss to Martina, Chris was, at times, her usual dispassionate, analytical self. But she also offered a few uncharacteristic rationalizations, launched a few defensive lobs.

She pronounced herself "disturbed but not devastated" over the loss, and said the tournament was an over-all plus in that she played a lot of matches and "gutted them out." She also said, somewhat cryptically, "I learned a little more about Martina's game, and that might help me in the future. The more I play her, the better it is for me."

After 51 matches, she's still learning about Martina's game?

Going beyond the immediate post-mortem, one sentence from Chris seemed to sum up the current state of the rivalry. "I know if I'm playing well I can stay up with her," she said.

Stay up with her? That sounds suspiciously like give her a good game. Opponents used to say that before playing Chris. They still do ... everyone but Martina.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #54

King still volleys with abandon, but what comes after tennis?
The Christian Science Monitor
Tuesday, March 15, 1983
Larry Eldridge

Even as she continues to seek that elusive last big triumph on the court, Billie Jean King is looking ahead toward life after tennis.

Last year she came as close to the former goal as she has in a long time, staging a dramatic series of upsets to reach the semifinals at Wimbledon before losing to Chris Evert Lloyd. For many at King's career stage that might have been a twilight accomplishment worth savoring. But Billie Jean is not the type to be satisfied with anything less than victory, no matter what the circumstances.

''It wasn't good enough though, was it?'' she said when an interviewer recalled that moment. ''I intend to play again this year - and if I do, I want to win it.'

And beyond that.

''After July, I'll reevaluate what I want to do with the second half of my life,'' she said during an appearance in Boston where she is playing in this week's women's tour event. ''I know I want it to be something involving motivation. I think people tend to sell themselves short and have low self-esteem - especially women. I like to see people do better than they think they can do, and I think I can help.'

Billie Jean, of course, has never had that problem. On the contrary, she's been an eternal optimist regarding both her game and her longtime role as a standard-bearer for equal rights. And if she hasn't always won, she's scored enough victories on both fronts to assure her a permanent place in the annals of tennis and of the women's movement.

From her debut at Wimbledon as 18-year-old Billie Jean Moffitt in 1961 (she lost her first match), through her incredible record of 20 titles there including six singles championships, to that gallant bid for one more crown last summer at age 38, King has regularly been on center stage at this most prestigious of all tennis tournaments.

And there have been many other triumphs - four US Open titles; scores of victories all over the globe including the French, Italian, and Australian Opens; four times ranked No. 1 in the world; a record 18 times in the US Top Ten; first female athlete to earn more than $100,000 in a season (1971); etc., etc. And although it was mainly for hype and money, who can forget her victory over Bobby Riggs in their famed ''Battle of the Sexes?''

Early on, King began battling for women's rights too, or, perhaps more accurately, for equal opportunity for all.

''I don't think of myself as 'for women,' '' she said. ''I think of myself as for people - men and women. That's what women's liberation is all about: for all people to get the opportunity to do the best they can.'

But historically women were frequently denied such opportunities - so that's where her battleground lay. In 1968 she and three others formed the first women's pro troupe. Next she helped establish the first major women's tour. Then she led a long and ultimately successful battle to gain equal prize money for women at the US Open. No wonder that in the '70s it was generally agreed that the two most recognizable American athletes were Muhammad Ali and Billie Jean King, or that today's top female players - even those who may be at odds with her - readily give her the lion's share of credit for today's big prize money and endorsement opportunities.

Of course all this seemed in the past when she ''retired'' in 1975, and especially when she did so again in '81. But each time her need to compete was too great to give up just yet.

''I still had the ability,'' she says now. ''And I missed the game. As you get older, you acquire a different perspective. You realize the joy and love of what you do. It's like a Horowitz playing the piano, or a Nureyev dancing. You keep remembering how much you like it.'

She never had, after all, depended on things like size or strength - in both of which she was far below many of her rivals. She always did have a pretty fair amount of overall athletic ability, but clearly her biggest asset was her tremendous will to win - and that still rages within her as powerfully as ever.

That was apparent in last spring's Italian Open, where she saved an apparently lost first round match and went on to reach the semifinals. And at Wimbledon she followed basically the same script, saving three match points against Tanya Harford, then upsetting Wendy Turnbull and Tracy Austin before losing to Evert Lloyd. And although it's been eight years now since she last won a major tournament (Wimbledon 1975), the fire still seems to be there as she plays various selected events while looking forward to one more try for a big one this summer.

She is also now playing in the Women's Tennis Classic, a new tour for players over 30, and in the current scaled-down version of Team Tennis run by her husband, Larry.

''I believe in the concept,'' King said of the latter venture, which failed in a more big-time approach and is now in its third year as a smaller, less costly operation. ''It helps men and women work together, and teaches the importance of things like cooperation and being supportive. I think it would be good culturally over the long run. But if it makes it, it makes it - and if it doesn't, it doesn't. I believe in free enterprise.'

Asked to compare her own longevity in the game with the recent abdication of Bjorn Borg, who was a toddler when she was already playing big-time tennis, King replied.

''You have to take each person on his own terms. When the women's pro tour started I was 27. That gives you perspective. Also, since 1970 the prize money has grown so enormously. Borg has made millions. When I was his age, I was broke.

''That's not why I stayed in it. I love the game. But I just want to point out that Borg has had a very different experience than I've had. I think it bothers him that he's not No. 1 anymore. That has happened to others. If his experience had been like mine, I think he'd be fighting tooth and nail to be back up there. But maybe he'll be back. Who knows?'

King, of course, knows all about ''retiring'' and coming back - but even as she eyes her busy 1983 schedule, see seems resigned that the next time will probably be for good. And although she doesn't indicate anything more definite than that vague hope of ''motivating'' people, she seems ready for her next challenge, whatever it turns out to be.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #55

An excerpt about the VS of California...

DAVIS DECISIONS BALTAZAR
The Miami Herald
Monday, February 28, 1983
From Herald Wire Services

[...]

Tennis

Bettina Bunge of Coral Gables, playing an attacking game despite a strained knee, defeated Sylvia Hanika of West Germany, 6-3, 6-3, to win the $150,000 Virginia Slims of California tournament at Oakland. Bunge, 19, broke Hanika's serve twice in each set to earn the $30,000 first prize. Bunge had limped off the court after beating Wendy Turnbull in the semifinals and considered defaulting Sunday ... Jose Higueras of Spain beat Eliot Teltscher, 6-4, 6-2, in the final of a men's tournament at La Quinta, Calif. ... Billie Jean King beat Virginia Wade, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, in the final of a women's tournament at Wesley Chapel, Fla.

[...]
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #56

HU NA, TENNIS STAR, IS REALLY HU NA, APPRENTICE
The Miami Herald
Thursday, April 28, 1983
JIM MARTZ

News reports usually refer to her as "tennis star" Hu Na. But is the 20-year-old from China really a star? And why is there so much secrecy surrounding her?

Hu Na, whose defection led to the suspension by China of several cultural and sports exchanges with the United States, flew last week to the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Bradenton, Fla. But she has not met with the media since she slipped out of her hotel last July 20 during the Federation Cup in Santa Clara, Calif., and asked for asylum.

Unquestionably, Hu Na is a star in the People's Republic of China, where tennis is about as popular as bocce is in the United States. But interviews with tournament officials and pros who have seen her play in America indicate that she can't be called an international tennis star -- yet. Some observers say she has the potential to be respectable on the women's circuit.

"We don't know if she's of the caliber to play on the Ginny circuit, which is the secondary part of the Virginia Slims circuit," said a spokesman for the Women's Tennis Association. "We've had a couple of players hit with her. Kate Latham thought she needed a lot of work but had the basics.

"She might not have a backhand slice or this and that, but she has the potential to be on the tour. She wants to join the tour, and we are ready to help her out in any way."

Hu Na, who has played little tennis since her defection and is not ranked, first came to the U.S. in 1980 to represent China in the Continental Players Cup Tarpon Springs, Fla. She also competed individually in the Orange Bowl at Miami Beach and the World Junior Winter Circuit staged by the Miami Beach Tennis Association.

"That was the first time the People's Republic of China came to the U.S. to play tennis, and it took us at least 10 years of writing to them to get them here," said Eddie Herr, founder of the MBTA. "China reached the quarterfinals of the Continental Cup, and she won our Mexican tournament."

Orange Bowl tournament director Don Petrine recalls that Hu Na "didn't do too well at the Orange Bowl," which traditionally draws the top juniors in the world. "She wasn't in their league. The Chinese boys did better. But she's a sweetheart of a kid and an extremely good athlete."

Last year, China refused to send a junior team to the United States, and Herr suspects it's because the Chinese government fears more defections.

"We had no problems when she was here," said Herr. "Her big hangup is her lack of English. She's going to have to do some cramming. But she's a very delightful girl, very graceful. She probably could be in the top 50 on the tour, but I don't think she has it to reach the top 10. The thing is, will she feel completely relaxed? Will she be looking over her shoulder wondering if someone is waiting to spirit her off?"

Authorities in Bradenton this week said security had been tightened around Hu Na after an unsubstantiated kidnap threat. They would not say whether the threat originated in California or Florida. Manatee County Sheriff Tom Burton said he had assigned detectives to guard her and escort her as she is shuttled between the tennis academy and two "safe houses," using different cars and trucks to conceal her movements.

Bollettieri said no interviews or photograph sessions "with anybody in the world" are allowed with Hu Na. When asked who set that policy, Bollettieri said, "I can't say. I'm not at liberty."

Why did Hu Na move from San Francisco, where she had remained since her defection, to the tennis academy? And who called whom to set it up?

"I can't give any comment on that," said Bollettieri.

What Bollettieri can say is that he is giving her a full scholarship, which is worth $1,475 a month. When Hu Na flew with Bollettieri from Los Angeles to Florida last week, he declined to say who would pay for the scholarship.

Hu Na has been practicing with Bollettieri students such has Carling Bassett, the 15-year-old who nearly upset Chris Evert Lloyd a week ago in a tournament final at Amelia Island, Fla., Lisa Bonder, Susan Mascarin and Amy Holton.

"She's playing extremely well," said Bollettieri. "She's adjusting to the top girls. Jimmy Arias [another Bollettieri protege] says she has a great backhand.

"She loves to serve and volley and is a very aggressive player with a good touch. But she's a little slow afoot. We need two to three good months to get her ready for the tour, but I can't say how high she could be ranked."

Though Hu Na may never become an international tennis superstar, she's liable to become a media and promotional star anyway.

"Forget the level of play as far as endorsements," said Herr. "She'll make more in endorsements than tennis. She gets tremendous press that the top five players don't get now."
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #57

OSU's McNeil Advances
The Daily Oklahoman
Friday, June 24, 1983
Kathy Perovich

On Monday there were 32 players from 14 states and seven foreign countries in the main draw of the United States Tennis Association women's tournament at the Oklahoma City Tennis Center.

When the singles semifinals get under way today, there will not be as many regions represented.

Two women from Houston, including Oklahoma State's Lori McNeil, and two more from California, a state whose collegiate tennis is considered the best in the country, have survived the week-long event and will play at 5 p.m. for a chance at a first-place prize of $1,400, which none can accept.

McNeil will meet Ann Hulbert, also of Houston, in one match. In the California semifinal, Cynthia MacGregor, born in Torrance but living now in Palos Verdes Estates, will play Cecilia Fernandez, a native of Los Angeles.

All are amateurs and in college. McNeil will be a senior at Oklahoma State. Hulbert enters SMU this fall as a freshman. Fernandez goes to USC and MacGregor is at San Diego State.

McNeil and partner Kyle Coleman advanced to the doubles semifinals, which will follow the singles matches, with a 7-5, 6-2 win over Maeve Quinlan and Karen Seguso. McNeil and Coleman will play Caryn Copeland and Linda Gates, who beat Karen Dewis and MacGregor 6-3, 6-2 today. In the other doubles semifinal, Jane Forman and Claudia Hernandez, the team that eliminated Mary Norwood and Hulbert, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday, will play Masako Yanagi and Kay Miyagi. Yanagi and Miyagi beat Kristie Reynolds and Jill Patterson, 5-7, 7-5, 6-4.

McNeil defeated Kathrin Keil of Albuquerque, N.M., Thursday, 6-3, 6-3, in a quarterfinal match while Hulbert went through two tiebreakers to defeat Jan Blackstad, 6-3, 6-7, 7-6. In the other two quarterfinal matches, Fernandez beat Forman, 7-5, 6-4, and MacGregor beat 15-year-old Melissa Brown, 7-5, 6-2.

McNeil has swept through her three singles matches in straight sets, losing only 12 games. On Thursday, she overpowered Keil, who is coming back from a year of inactivity, with a strong serve and volley game.

Keil made numerous unforced errors, mostly off her forehand, and the match was never close. They went to deuce only twice, and Keil had trouble scoring points against McNeil's serve. On five occasions when McNeil held serve, Keil failed to score a point.

"She (Keil) has a good backhand down the line,'' said McNeil, "but she never seemed to get in the groove with her strokes.''

This is Keil's first tournament in some time. She was out eight months last year with a bout of mononucleosis that she could not shake.

"I played terrible,'' said Keil. "I thought Lori played well, but I'm just not match tough.''

McNeil, who is three years older than Hulbert, vaguely remembers seeing her play in qualifying rounds for a Virginia Slims and Avon tournament years ago in Houston.

"I've never heard of some of these players,'' she said. "But the field seems pretty balanced to me.''

Copeland and McNeil played the last stop on this satellite circuit in doubles and were eliminated in the quarterfinals. At the first stop, (both were in New Jersey), McNeil won the doubles with Gigi Fernandez, a top-ranked player out of Puerto Rico.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #58

RECORD 39 NATIONS IN FEDERATION CUP
The Miami Herald
Friday, March 18, 1983

A record 39 nations have entered the 1983 Federation Tennis Cup in Zurich, organizers announced Wednesday.

The finals are scheduled for July 17-24, with seven qualifying matches July 7 to reduce the field to 32.

"This is the first time in history that we will have qualifying matches," said Paolo Angeli, executive director of the event and a member of the management committee of the International Tennis Federation.

"It was a matter of having qualifying matches or dropping some entrants according to rankings. We believe strongly in giving every nation a chance to compete, so we were against restrictions."

Team selections must be made known by April 17, although changes can be made up to five days before a match starts. Some associations have already picked their teams, the United States among them.

The U.S., the defending champion, has definitely entered Martina Navratilova and Andrea Jaeger, leaving other places open to players such as Chris Evert Lloyd and Pam Shriver.

The draw for the event, the women's equivalent of the men's Davis Cup, has been scheduled June 7 at Zurich.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #59

MIAMI BEACH WOMEN'S TOURNEY NOT SET
The Miami Herald
Wednesday, March 16, 1983
JIM MARTZ

The announcement that a $50,000 women's tournament would be held April 2-3 at Miami Beach's Flamingo Park appears to have been premature.

It was reported earlier this week by Miami Beach Visitor and Convention Authority publicist Al Wolfe that Andrea Jaeger, Billie Jean King, Bettina Bunge and Evonne Goolagong Cawley would play in the event. It supposedly would replace the $250,000 Citizen Cup set for April 1-3 at Palm Beach Gardens that was postponed two weeks ago.

But Tuesday, an associate for Wolfe said the status of the Miami Beach tournament was uncertain. And a spokesperson for the Women's Tennis Association said the players weren't even aware of the tournament.

"At this point, we still don't know what's going to happen," said Tim Gallagher, an associate of Wolfe. "The promoter who brought it to Wolfe may be backing out. I don't know the promoter's name.

"It's still in negotiations. The promoter had this package and was looking for a place to put it on. Al contacted the city and did quite a bit of work on it."

Peggy Gossett, spokesperson for the Women's Tennis Association, said, "Andrea doesn't know about it. And I talked to International Management Group, which represents many of the players mentioned, and they don't know about it."

If the tournament does come off, it would be the first women's pro event in Dade County since the early 1970s.

The Double Fault of the Month Award goes to the Citizen Cup, because it was postponed for one of the most ridiculous reasons ever given: "Insufficient national television coverage."

The tournament featuring Chris Evert Lloyd, Martina Navratilova, Jaeger and King was to be played for the second consecutive year at PGA National Resort in Palm Beach Gardens. There was a good chance the event would have included a showdown between Navratilova and Evert on clay, the surface on which Chris hasn't lost in South Florida since 1971.

It's amazing the major TV networks would pass up such a match-up. It's also amazing the tournament promoters couldn't salvage the event by finding other sources of revenue.

Second place in the Double Fault Award goes to the ESPN cable TV network and the recent Gold Coast Classic men's tournament at Delray Beach for the most implausible reason ever for delaying a match: The video tape ran out.

Just as Eddie Dibbs and Pavel Slozil were beginning their second-set tiebreaker in the semifinals, the umpire ordered a delay because ESPN hadn't had sufficient time to change tapes. If there hadn't been a delay, the match probably would have been concluded before rain halted play for one hour and 12 minutes. After the rain delay, Slozil needed only three more points to win the match.

The Bad Manners of the Month Award goes to Mike DeFranco, No. 1 singles player for the University of Central Florida. In a match last Friday against Vanderbilt's John Evert, younger brother of Chris, DeFranco's tantrums of cursing, obscene gestures and bashing his racquet into the net made John McEnroe and Ilie Nastase look like choir boys.

Miami's Rick Fagel and Steve Meister are among the entrants for the $10,000 Alo-Sun Men's Pro Classic April 5-10 at Crystal Lake Country Club in Pompano Beach. The tournament is the first stop on the 25-event USTA Circuit, a men's satellite tour. A qualifying tournament will begin March 31 ... Dave Beauchamp, head pro at the Country Club of Coral Gables and past president of the Florida Professional Tennis Association, was honored Tuesday night at the club for his dedication and achievements in tennis. Beauchamp also recently made the only perfect score on the Prince Quiz taken by hundreds of pros at the Tennis Industry National Buying Show in Miami Beach ... Several South Florida players are listed among the top 10 in the tentative USTA men's national rankings just released. In the 65-and-over singles division, Gardnar Mulloy of Miami is third, John Foreman of Boca Raton ninth and Norman Laskey of Fort Lauderdale 10th; in the 60 singles, Bob Stubbs of Miami is ninth; in the 75 singles, Frank A. Matheson of Lighthouse Point is 10th.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #60

Navratilova overpowering foes on women's tennis circuit
The Christian Science Monitor
Monday, March 21, 1983
Phil Elderkin

No one has taken a set from her in 21 matches as tour enters New York Martina Navratilova has reached that point in women's professional tennis where the only person who can really beat her is - well, herself

Oh, Chris Evert Lloyd or Tracy Austin sometimes rise up to defeat her in a tournament final. But when Navratilova is hitting all out and the ball is staying in the court, nobody can touch her for power, speed, and endurance

Certainly that's been the case this year. She has played four tour events, won each, and not dropped a set in 21 matches. In her latest final, played in Dallas, she defeated Evert Lloyd 6-4, 6-0 in a shockingly lopsided match.Now it's on to New York, where Navratilova will be the favorite to win this week's $350,000 tournament.

Since 1979, when Martina decided to stop overeating, got both her game and her head together, and paid more attention to her conditioning, she has won 13 of 20 matches from Evert Lloyd, including the 1979 and 1982 Wimbledon finals

They also played a memorable US Open semifinal in '81 that Navratilova finally took 7-5, 4-6, 6-4. Even as early as the first set, the crowd had sensed the match would be extra special

During a recent chat with Martina in the press room of the Los Angeles Forum, she talked about playing Evert Lloyd over the years. The two players, incidentally, are friends and former doubles partners

''When I first came on the pro tour in 1973, Chris had already been there awhile and was a lot more consistent than I was,'' Navratilova told me. ''I was new to this country; new to this way of life; and I was also still learning as a player. The only coach I'd ever really had was my father and the idea of a regular conditioning program never even occurred to me

''The reason I've had so much success against Chris in our last 20 matches is partly because I am so much more consistent now and partly because I have learned to play her better,'' Martina continued. ''I don't give her what she wants, either in the way of shots or pace. Yet I don't prepare any differently for Chris than I do for Tracy Austin or Andrea Jaeger.''

What does it take to beat this naturalized American citizen, who defected from Czechoslovakia in 1975

''To beat me, a baseline player would have to consistently thread the needle with her shots,'' Martina said. ''The thing is, I always feel I'm in control against any baseline player, both when I serve and when I receive

''Either way I know that the person on the other side of the court isn't going to come to the net against me and force me to hit tougher shots. You have no idea what this does for my confidence

''But I don't want anyone to think that I'm criticizing the way Chris plays, because for her the baseline game has been very successful. Chris is still the toughest opponent out there for me. She's consistent; she has great strokes; she doesn't get rattled; and basically we bring out the best in each other.''

Navratilova, who is as rugged and strong as any female athlete you'll ever see (whether the sport is tennis, softball, or gymnastics), has an arsenal of shots that seems to keep getting better and better. She has also learned to deal realistically with the mental side of the game

''Because there are so many tournaments now and so much travel, nobody plays to their potential all the time,'' Martina said. ''There are just too many good young players out there who keep improving and too many matches not to have an occasional letdown

''I also go through periods when my game isn't all there and I know it and that's frustrating. I just hope when this happens I'm not scheduled to meet one of the top players on the tour.''

Asked to talk about what makes her game so strong, Navratilova replied: ''One of the reasons I have won so often is because I get to the ball so much quicker than most of my opponents. With more time to get set, my return shots are generally well hit and deep

''When I first came on the tour, I really didn't have a very good backhand,'' she added. ''Oh, I would get the ball back, maybe even with some topspin on it, but then it seemed like I was always out of position for whatever came next. It's something I had to work very hard to improve. But now I feel very, very comfortable with my backhand.''

In fact, she feels good about all her shots, and expects to keep them grooved for quite some time. ''I think I can probably maintain the level of my current game for at least another five or six years,'' she said.