Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 33 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #481
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Realistically she only cost herself one ranking spot and 220 ranking points by not beating Kuznetsova as I think Caro almost certainly would have lost to Vika in the quarters.

Her early losses in Brisbane and Sydney don't really matter as far as the rankings go as she would have had to get past the quarters to gain points and in the process have to beat Vika in Brisbane and Kerber in Sydney, neither of which was likely.
I think she could have done a lot better in those events and get past QF.
As far as Vika and Kerber are concerned, I think they are difficult but beatable opponents for Caro even at this point. It's worse when it comes to the likes of Sharapova or Serena. Anyway, I'd like to see some of these challenging match-ups in near future. Fingers crossed that Caro returns to the spotlight (and not just thanks to Rory...).
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #482
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
I think she could have done a lot better in those events and get past QF.
As far as Vika and Kerber are concerned, I think they are difficult but beatable opponents for Caro even at this point. It's worse when it comes to the likes of Sharapova or Serena. Anyway, I'd like to see some of these challenging match-ups in near future. [b]Fingers crossed that Caro returns to the spotlight (and not just thanks to Rory...)[/B].
Its going to be interesting to see what happens.
Some young players get to #1 then go away, as far as being relevant in big events. Some keep cycling back to the top.
So far, Caroline is in the Jankovic, Ivanovic, Safina group.
But she is only 3 years older than Stephens, who is considered to be just starting her career.
I think they have to be very smart about what they do.
Not over train and get injured or burn out. But also she has to improve from where she is now
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #483
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

So....Is Caro committed to Doha,Dubai and IW??

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #484
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Yes, she's scheduled to play them.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #485
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

So, which is the premier one and which is PM5 this year? I find it so weird that these tournaments are changing the position every year.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #486
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Caro's schedule from February until April looks brutal

Feb 11 - Feb 17 Qatar Ladies Open

Feb 18 - Feb 23 Dubai Duty Free Championships

Feb 25 - Mar 03 BMW Malaysian Open

Mar 4- World Tennis Day Exhibition in Hong Kong

Mar 06 - Mar 17 BNP Paribas Open

Mar 18- Montreal Rendezvous Exhibition in Montreal

Mar 19 - Mar 31 Sony Ericsson Open

Apr 01 - Apr 07 Family Circle Cup

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #487
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTennis View Post

Yes, that is definitely a packed schedule. If she was still making quarters/semis/finals regularly that schedule would be especially tough but she is probably going to have some early exits so it probably won't be quite as tough as it looks. The ones I am most focused on are Doha/Dubai/Indian Wells/Miami. I guess that Kuala Lumpur could be a good opportunity for her to pick up another title and it would be nice for her to get a boost heading into Indian Wells.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #488
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Only assuming she makes it past R1/R2 on a regular basis.

If she does reach some SF, F *fingers crossed* in Doha/Dubai, she could become 'injured' for Malaysia. Same for I/W /Miami and Charleston .. Not that I have much hope, she'll start doing like everyone else and fake injuries, when they don't want to play a tournament.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #489
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot about that exo before IW. Very tricky if she has a tough early IW draw.
Another exo before Miami.
We'll see how this works out. I think her results dropped off in January, even from last year.
She might need that Malaysian tournament for confidence

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #490
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Yes, that is definitely a packed schedule. If she was still making quarters/semis/finals regularly that schedule would be especially tough but she is probably going to have some early exits so it probably won't be quite as tough as it looks. The ones I am most focused on are Doha/Dubai/Indian Wells/Miami. I guess that Kuala Lumpur could be a good opportunity for her to pick up another title and it would be nice for her to get a boost heading into Indian Wells.
definitely agree on that all the line

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #491
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

look like caro will be playing Porsche Tennis Grand Prix as well

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #492
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding Caro's play 2013 after a few encouraging signs right at the end of 2012 - Brisbane and Sydney I don't read too much into them that she didn't start off the blocks playing well right from the word go. But I am encouraged by her AO performance and the match by the match she lost against Sveta more than the matches she lost. I was impressed by how she played and really the only questionmark for me is how is she going to continue to play. Because if she continues to play as well as she did at the end of 2012 and as well as she did against Sveta - she will win a lot more matches and there is no doubt in my mind that she will qualify for the YEC.

A lot has been made of Caro becoming weak in pressure points and not holding serve then and if she could that it would be different because the Caro of old was mentally strong in those situations. However, I think that is tied up with her overall game just going South and particularly the number of UEs she makes since her drop with no noticable increase in winners or forced errors from her opponents. However - against Sveta in a 3-setter she had 23 winners to 22 UEs and shell get a lot of wins with those stats.

The biggest problem with Caro's serve is her 2nd serve. And it always has been even in her heyday. And it's unrealistic to expect that she's not going to have at least one servicve game as the match gets tighter where she struggles to get any 1st serves in. No player is exempt from that. When that happens - a lot is dependant on opponent and her mentality. A match can turn on whether her opponet blasts a winner or dumps the return in the net. When Caro lost her serve the end af the 3rd set - Sveta blasted 2 winners off Caro's 2nd serves. She made 4 winners to 1 UE in the last 2 games of the match.

I think the difference between now and then is that winning matches puts more pressure on opponents when it gets tight and losing matches means opponents are less likely to crack when it gets tight. Which is a vicious circle. To break the circle - she has to play tough the whole match. Don't give points away or if she does - don't let the free points she gives away get away from the winners.

So to sum up - I'd like Caro to look back at that matych in a positive light as to how to keep up playing like that the rest of 2013 rather thanm dwelling too much on if this or that she might have won.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #493
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think this is a ridiculous schedule. And I don't buy this arguiment that it doesn't matter because she probably will get knocked out in the 1st or 2nd round and not be playing that many matches anyway. That is totally circular. The biggest tournaments are IW and Miami at the end of this packed schedule. Flying around across the world and then back and fro to another exhibition is ridiculous and just cannnot be best preparation for these bis tournaments.

I think she has this attitude she can do it all. I don't think she's deliberately going for the money. But she just can't say no and thinks she can do it all . She's been asked if she would play, likes a tournament or an exhibition and doing something for them. The money is nice. And she believes it won't affect her.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #494
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
If she does reach some SF, F *fingers crossed* in Doha/Dubai, she could become 'injured' for Malaysia. Same for I/W /Miami and Charleston .. Not that I have much hope, she'll start doing like everyone else and fake injuries, when they don't want to play a tournament.
Pretty much none of my other favorite sports have this problem,but let's take a hypothetical scenario,that's not totally 100% analogous,from boxing.Obviously,if a boxer cancelled a title fight,claiming injury,and then went off to the beach with his gf,lots of folks would be understandably furious...and a champ could even be stripped of his title if fraud were reasonably proven

I can understand where the WTA would want to discourage cavalier commitment to events...and punish selfish,bitchy divas who cancelled on whims.To me,it's not rocket science: You plan a schedule that you KNOW you can maintain...if you'd like to add something,then good luck getting a WC,but you don't get a free pass on skipping the event you'd committed to just because you're more worn out from playing the previously-unplanned event...so you've got to take that into account when contemplating adding something on.

If you're merely sore and wanna cancel,TOUGH SHIT!Rugby and hockey players get plenty sore and manage to carry on.If you have a legit yet minor injury,but one with a fair chance of getting exacerbated,then I have no beef with exaggerating the severity of it somewhat to skip a tournament.To ME,that's in an entirely different spirit than completely concocting a B.S. phantom injury that doesn't exist.

Though I wish that she scheduled a bit more prudently,I'm proud of Caro for holding on to her integrity and honor in that area.It's a stark contrast with certain others who will go nameless here

@Protoss and CW,thanks for the scheduling info

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #495
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
I think this is a ridiculous schedule. And I don't buy this arguiment that it doesn't matter because she probably will get knocked out in the 1st or 2nd round and not be playing that many matches anyway. That is totally circular. ...
If Caroline was in the race for #1 and a slam contender, then her schedule is a vital part of her team's decision making.
But right now, they have to take a long term view, to try to get Caroline's results back to where she is playing Vika, or Maria, or Aga or Kerber or Li or Serena in tournament after tournament.
So now, it only matters that she plays well and starts building up her confidence. Makes fewer mistakes on overheads & near the net.
So I'm not worried about the schedule, as long as she is smart enough to understand her health is #1 priority over everything else

Closed Thread