Li Na def Maria Sharapova 6-2 6-2 - Page 46 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:17 AM   #676
country flag quentinak

quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Li Na def Maria Sharapova 6-2 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH both wings View Post
Congratulations to Li Na. She had a cakewalk draw to the QF like everybody else, but she turned up to play some serious tennis since then.

I have to say I'm a little bit surprised that Sharapova didn't benefit from the faster court. I thought that it would help to limit the huge advantage Li has with her great footwork compared to Sharapova's poor one. But it turned out the opposite.

As for those who claim Sharapova played awful, or even the worst match ever, that is nonsense. She played as good or better (in the first set for sure) than against, say, Makarova. However, a confident Li is just an awful matchup for her, especially on _that_ HC. Li a much, much better mover, her footwork is leagues above Sharapova, all Li needs is the right game plan and Sharapova will always be forced to serve perfect and go for early winners. Radwanska did a good job to stay in the rallies and make Li work, and Radwanska was able to get an UE from Li after a long rally. But Sharapova cannot defend, she cannot reset a rally like Azarenka or S.Williams, not on HC at least.

I was utterly surprised by Li, not in term of her game, but with her attitude. She was calm and looked like she was there to play some serious tennis - and not like the usual "I'm in a GS SF, OMG, OMG".
I'm glad someone else sees this. The strategy and attitude of Li made the difference here, not exceptionally poor play from Sharapova. Much credit has to be given to Carlos Rodriguez I think.
quentinak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #677
country flag quentinak

quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrowedheaven View Post
This shows again that when Na is on her game, she can outplay anyone and Sharapova simply does not have the tools to break her rhythm. People bashed Clijsters because she threw in slices and loopy balls when Li was outplaying her, but if Maria would only have been able to do that, it could have been a different match.
Good point, unfortunately Sharapova doesn't have a plan B like Clijsters does. The thing is, I believe it's totally within Sharapova's power and ability to just put a little margin on her shots when she needs to (such as developing a loopier topspin shot for emergencies). Learn to slice when she is stretched out to the backhand. Serena learned both of these. Why not Sharapova? I do acknowledge though that her defense has gotten a bit better recently.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #678
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrowedheaven View Post
This shows again that when Na is on her game, she can outplay anyone and Sharapova simply does not have the tools to break her rhythm. People bashed Clijsters because she threw in slices and loopy balls when Li was outplaying her, but if Maria would only have been able to do that, it could have been a different match.
Why would people bash Clijsters for not being a one-dimensional clown like Sharapova and actually changing things up?
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:35 AM   #679
country flag quentinak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherahpova View Post
I honestly wonder if people even watch matches sometimes.
Li wasn't outhitting anyone, she played a very high % game by her standards as she has been doing most of the tournament, waiting until a winner was NID before going for one. That's why it wasn't closer, because it ensured all UEs were from Maria's end instead of Li gifting back games. Although it also allowed Maria to have an opportunity to win virtually every game despite playing poorly so I'm not sure how it will work in future.
I strongly feel that Li should stick with this game plan as her basis, but she'll have to gauge what situation or opponent would she need to play more aggressively, change game plan, etc. Her current play reminds me much of Agassi's "punisher" tennis.

I seems many posters don't play tennis, aren't students of the game's strategies, or are too wrapped up in fangirl ecstasy or disappointment.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #680
country flag Boxuan

Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of

Let's call this bitch-slap fest to an end, OK?

·┏┻━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓
┏┛李娜┣┫·科娃┣┫·郑洁┣┫·伊万┣┫·彭帅┣┫·杨科┃
┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛
Boxuan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #681
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinak View Post
I strongly feel that Li should stick with this game plan as her basis, but she'll have to gauge what situation or opponent would she need to play more aggressively, change game plan, etc. Her current play reminds me much of Agassi's "punisher" tennis.

I seems many posters don't play tennis, aren't students of the game's strategies, or are too wrapped up in fangirl ecstasy or disappointment.
I'm not sure if that was directed towards me considering I'm one of the few people who has actually discussed the tennis of the match.

Well she's in the final so the new game plan has worked, it's hard to gauge its long term success at this point. I mean if Maria had have been firing maybe Li would have went for more and made it but we won't know until we see them both playing well at the same time.

I was very impressed with Li's composure though, sure she was ahead all the time but that has never stopped her from choking or getting nervous before. There wasn't a hint of that on court yesterday.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #682
country flag Critique

Critique is a splendid one to behold Critique is a splendid one to behold Critique is a splendid one to behold Critique is a splendid one to behold Critique is a splendid one to behold Critique is a splendid one to behold Critique is a splendid one to behold Critique is a splendid one to behold Critique is a splendid one to behold Critique is a splendid one to behold Critique is a splendid one to behold

Two things surprised me in this match: The way Na kept her composure and concentration while being in the lead, and how mentally flat Sharapova came out from start to end. Na's patient tennis ultimately paid off and she should beat Azarenka going on form thus far.

Has Maria been tinkering with her serve again? The motion from trophy position to follow through looks much more like the way it did pre-surgery.
Critique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #683
country flag Pasta-Na

Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critique View Post
Two things surprised me in this match: The way Na kept her composure and concentration while being in the lead, and how mentally flat Sharapova came out from start to end. Na's patient tennis ultimately paid off and she should beat Azarenka going on form thus far.

Has Maria been tinkering with her serve again
? The motion from trophy position to follow through looks much more like the way it did pre-surgery.
I don't know. Her performance was just too good in her AO R3 match. Then she played very average in her AO QF match.

Asian-GOAT-Na Li: 11" FO & 14" AO champion + 11" & 13" AO runner-up + #2
Little-Jie(06" AO & Wim) + Pusher-Shu(13" Wim & 14" FO & WD#1) + Sucky Baby Golden Flowers.
Pasta-Na is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #684
country flag quentinak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherahpova View Post
I'm not sure if that was directed towards me considering I'm one of the few people who has actually discussed the tennis of the match.

Well she's in the final so the new game plan has worked, it's hard to gauge its long term success at this point. I mean if Maria had have been firing maybe Li would have went for more and made it but we won't know until we see them both playing well at the same time.

I was very impressed with Li's composure though, sure she was ahead all the time but that has never stopped her from choking or getting nervous before. There wasn't a hint of that on court yesterday.
Oops I realize I wasn't clear. I quoted you because I agreed with you and felt your posts have actual constructive content regarding this match.

I think Sharapova wasn't able to fire away in big part because Li was moving the ball (hence moving Maria) around the court very well with good depth of shot that had margin, unlike Li's usual style in previous years. The new confidence is a key factor. It's easier to feel confident when Li has the mentality (seems to me) that she doesn't have to bash every ball away perfectly for a winner AND to know what she needs to do even if she misses a few shots. In the first game or two, she missed a couple of loopy shots and she show frustration because those were supposed to be safe shots that don't miss. But she stuck to the plan, put so much consistent pressure on Maria that Maria felt she needed to play perfect shots to win points. That's why Maria "looked bad" I think.

But yes, only time will tell for certain though.

Last edited by quentinak : Jan 25th, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #685
country flag Pasta-Na

Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtin23 View Post
Did I misinterpret or what??

Q. Obviously tennis is getting very popular in your country because of you. Your hometown is going to have a big tournament in 2014. How big is that for you?
LI NA: How big is for me?

Q. Yes.
LI NA: I'm always same way.

Asian-GOAT-Na Li: 11" FO & 14" AO champion + 11" & 13" AO runner-up + #2
Little-Jie(06" AO & Wim) + Pusher-Shu(13" Wim & 14" FO & WD#1) + Sucky Baby Golden Flowers.
Pasta-Na is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #686
country flag backhandsmash

backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy-Na View Post
Awesome!
backhandsmash is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #687
country flag Deestruction
Two-timing...

Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute

Li girl you a bitch.

http://deestruction.tumblr.com/
Deestruction is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #688
country flag Foxy

Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute

The WTA gave Maria two easy unranked players in the first two rounds who had nothing to hurt Maria with. So the 6-0, 6-0 wins in the first two rounds meant nothing. As usual they were building her up more than they should have.

As far as Venus is concerned, I don't know what was her problem because she didn't even show up. When Venus came back from her illness last year, she played Maria harder than this and Maria won because of a few errors in Venus' game. And by the time Venus did decide to get a clue and start fighting, the match was over.

Na Li has always had the power and game to beat Maria. Her problem was her head game. But one thing that I've noticed is that Carlos is making Li hit her forehands with the same type of speed that he employed with Justine. Carlos understands tennis, court positioning, and he studies the weaknesses of the opponent, and he made Li exploit all of Maria's weaknesses just like Venus use to do at Wimbledon, and like Serena does.

Like I said, I don't know why Venus chose not to come out fighting. Oh well, next time.

And another thing is that Li and the other players had to battle in some of their earlier rounds and they are more match tough than Maria, and it showed. Maria just spent her first 5 games standing on the baseline bashing the ball and acing and beating her opponents easily. Well Li forced her off the baseline and made her run, and she did it with speed, great serving, court positioning, and executing a well thought out game plan for Maria.

Carolos was going to make sure Li beat Maria on Rod Laver arena to rub it in her former coach's face and let him know that although he left Li to coach Maria, that Maria was still the same slow ball basher with no plan B.

And for those who think Maria wasn't playing her game, she was. Na just exploited her weaknesses and it made Maria crumble.

I mean, go back to Wimbledon and see how Venus was beating her 6-1, 6-2 or 6-1, 6-3. Look how Serena would beat her 6-1, 6-0. They did that because they exploited her weaknesses. If the opponent doesn't exploit her weaknesses it will seem like Maria is playing better than she really is. Just look how easily Vika beat her last year at the AO. She beat her easily because Vika exploited her weaknesses.

It's only when they don't exploit her weaknesses, it seems like Maria is playing better when in fact she isn't playing any better.

Last edited by Foxy : Jan 25th, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Foxy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #689
country flag ChuckDee

ChuckDee is just really nice ChuckDee is just really nice ChuckDee is just really nice ChuckDee is just really nice ChuckDee is just really nice ChuckDee is just really nice ChuckDee is just really nice ChuckDee is just really nice ChuckDee is just really nice ChuckDee is just really nice ChuckDee is just really nice

Absolutely shocked at this outcome. Did not see this coming at all! WOW

Last edited by ChuckDee : Jan 25th, 2013 at 04:54 PM.
ChuckDee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #690
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
The WTA gave Maria two easy unranked players in the first two rounds who had nothing to hurt Maria with. So the 6-0, 6-0 wins in the first two rounds meant nothing. As usual they were building her up more than they should have.

As far as Venus is concerned, I don't know what was her problem because she didn't even show up. When Venus came back from her illness last year, she played Maria harder than this and Maria won because of a few errors in Venus' game. And by the time Venus did decide to get a clue and start fighting, the match was over.

Na Li has always had the power and game to beat Maria. Her problem was her head game. But one thing that I've noticed is that Carlos is making Li hit her forehands with the same type of speed that he employed with Justine. Carlos understands tennis, court positioning, and he studies the weaknesses of the opponent, and he made Li exploit all of Maria's weaknesses just like Venus use to do at Wimbledon, and like Serena does.

Like I said, I don't know why Venus chose not to come out fighting. Oh well, next time.

And another thing is that Li and the other players had to battle in some of their earlier rounds and they are more match tough than Maria, and it showed. Maria just spent her first 5 games standing on the baseline bashing the ball and acing and beating her opponents easily. Well Li forced her off the baseline and made her run, and she did it with speed, great serving, court positioning, and executing a well thought out game plan for Maria.

Carolos was going to make sure Li beat Maria on Rod Laver arena to rub it in her former coach's face and let him know that although he left Li to coach Maria, that Maria was still the same slow ball basher with no plan B.

And for those who think Maria wasn't playing her game, she was. Na just exploited her weaknesses and it made Maria crumble.

I mean, go back to Wimbledon and see how Venus was beating her 6-1, 6-2 or 6-1, 6-3. Look how Serena would beat her 6-1, 6-0. They did that because they exploited her weaknesses. If the opponent doesn't exploit her weaknesses it will seem like Maria is playing better than she really is. Just look how easily Vika beat her last year at the AO. She beat her easily because Vika exploited her weaknesses.

It's only when they don't exploit her weaknesses, it seems like Maria is playing better when in fact she isn't playing any better.

doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote