Sloane Stephens or Madison Keys? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who will be the higher ranked player at the end of the season?

Sloane Stephens 36 48.65%
Madison Keys 38 51.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #1
country flag Marilyn Monheaux

Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute
Sloane Stephens or Madison Keys?

You know it's coming anyway, so why not have a poll?
Marilyn Monheaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #2
country flag Sally Todd

Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sloane Stephens or Madison Keys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Monheaux View Post
You know it's coming anyway, so why not have a poll?
Um, hopefully both..............................down the road.

The US media is jumping the gun big time. Brad Gilbert is already forecasting majors for Madison. And the circus came to town the second Sloane beat Serena. I really hope Sloane didn't beat Serena too early, if you know what I mean.

It's a different tennis world than when Venus and Serena were coming up. Social media means that the media glare is up in these young players' psyches in a way that it wasn't back then. Plus Venus and Serena had the support of each other, even if the prejudices they faced were much stronger, or at least more overt.

Madison has the kind of big game that has bigger potential. But Sloane could reintroduce clay court tennis to the US, not to mention a more nuanced approach. I'm not sold on her yet as a hard court contender but I think she has huge potential on clay.
Sally Todd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #3
country flag Kunal

Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute

sloane jus cuz she is quite ahead already.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #4
country flag F4CU

F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of F4CU has much to be proud of

Sloane Top 10
Keys Top 40
Doubles Titles: WTA Stanford´13(w/Martn7) ITF Merida´13(w/*Jean*) ITF Andrezieux´14(w/*Jean*)
Results:S: SF AO´13 SF Rome´13 D: F Cincinnati´13
F4CU is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:09 AM   #5
country flag Marilyn Monheaux

Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Todd View Post
Um, hopefully both..............................down the road.

The US media is jumping the gun big time. Brad Gilbert is already forecasting majors for Madison. And the circus came to town the second Sloane beat Serena. I really hope Sloane didn't beat Serena too early, if you know what I mean.

It's a different tennis world than when Venus and Serena were coming up. Social media means that the media glare is up in these young players' psyches in a way that it wasn't back then. Plus Venus and Serena had the support of each other, even if the prejudices they faced were much stronger, or at least more overt.

Madison has the kind of big game that has bigger potential. But Sloane could reintroduce clay court tennis to the US, not to mention a more nuanced approach. I'm not sold on her yet as a hard court contender but I think she has huge potential on clay.

They always do that. As long as they don't come down on them when they're not consistently beating top players (which they won't, yet), it's alright in my book. I hope that Sloane and Madison handle the pressure better than Oudin and her weak ass game did. Sloane seems to deal pretty well, haven't seen that much from Madison, yet. I'm optimistic about both of them, though. Sloane will probably be ahead this year, but long term I could see Madison having a better career. Not saying she's a future number one, but she does have a lot of potential.
Marilyn Monheaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #6
country flag Sally Todd

Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Monheaux View Post
They always do that. As long as they don't come down on them when they're not consistently beating top players (which they won't, yet), it's alright in my book. I hope that Sloane and Madison handle the pressure better than Oudin and her weak ass game did. Sloane seems to deal pretty well, haven't seen that much from Madison, yet. I'm optimistic about both of them, though. Sloane will probably be ahead this year, but long term I could see Madison having a better career. Not saying she's a future number one, but she does have a lot of potential.
I agree with everything that you've written. Madison's serve and forehand are no joke. Lasers. But her overall game needs a lot of work and she doesn't move like Sloane or Venus or Serena.

In a way both players are compelling because if they manage to rise they'll be bringing something different to the game. Keys is a shotmaker like Kvitova and the Czechs but she's not a lefty. Stephens is the first American in a while with a game potentially suited to clay.

Interesting that Gilbert is going ballistic over Keys while Cahill has said the one player on either side of the game ATP/WTA that he'd like to coach is Stephens. That's the kind of media talk I don't mind hearing because it emphasizes that she is developing.
Sally Todd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #7
country flag Alejandrawrrr

Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've seen Keys is the bigger ballstriker, so she might have higher/more dominant HIGHS. Stephens however is the better athlete so she's the SAFER bet(athleticism can carry you through matches where your strokes are AWOL.)

(Anyone playing Sharapova)
Alejandrawrrr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #8
country flag Kairi

Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute

Madison.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #9
country flag FleetSeb

FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Enfant Sauvage View Post
From what I've seen Keys is the bigger ballstriker, so she might have higher/more dominant HIGHS. Stephens however is the better athlete so she's the SAFER bet(athleticism can carry you through matches where your strokes are AWOL.)
Agreed. This is, coincidentally, how I respond to the British equivalent of this question regarding Heather and Laura.
Simona Halep - Heather Watson - Julia Goerges - Kimiko Date Krumm - Lucie Safarova - Nadia Petrova
FleetSeb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #10
country flag jimmy_the_greek
*TENNIS NSW PLAYER*

jimmy_the_greek has a brilliant future jimmy_the_greek has a brilliant future jimmy_the_greek has a brilliant future jimmy_the_greek has a brilliant future jimmy_the_greek has a brilliant future jimmy_the_greek has a brilliant future jimmy_the_greek has a brilliant future jimmy_the_greek has a brilliant future jimmy_the_greek has a brilliant future jimmy_the_greek has a brilliant future jimmy_the_greek has a brilliant future

Sloane
jimmy_the_greek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #11
country flag Kutuzova

Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of

Sloane will be higher this season just because she has a big heads up on Madison in the rankings currently. Madison has MUCH bigger weapons than Sloane though. If she continues on her current path, without and major injuries, etc., she will be by far the more successful of the two.
Kutuzova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #12
country flag Renalicious
goatra

Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute

They're a bit like Wozniacki/Kvitova.

Wozniacki had the better earlier results but Kvitova caught up and became greater.
The same thing will happen with Sloane and Keys I reckon.

serena, jankovic, venus, na, hsieh, date-krumm, jovanovski
makarova, diatchenko, halep, goerges and kvitova

My Youtube Channel
Renalicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #13
country flag Wert.

Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could check 1425251652 threads that were made already and had similar question in it.
Wert. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #14
country flag JustPetko

JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute

Madison.

TT Singles: (CH: #40) W ITF Biella'10, W ITF Nantes'10, W ITF Dubai'12 | TT Doubles: (CH: #1) ITF Nantes'10, ITF Bucharest'10, Marbella'11, Washington'11, Linz'11, YEC'11, ITF Opole'11, Pattaya'12, Tashkent'12, ITF Pune'12, Memphis'13, Carlsbad'13, Marrakesh'14, Washington'14 | Suicide: (CH: #6) W Luxembourg'12, W Luxembourg'13, F Marbella'11, F Quebec'11, F US Open'11 | Tipping: (CH: #2) W YEC'11, W Acapulco'13, W Brisbane'14, W RG'14, F Brussels'11, F Stanford'11
JustPetko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #15
country flag nfl46

nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of
We shall see. This forum thought Petra would dominate 2012 and you saw what happened.

Sloane. She'll be Top 10 by the end of the year. She's solid but needs better coaching. Plus she's very consistent with results.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App