Is it safe to say that sharapova has reach AO 2008 form? - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: ?????

current form exceeds 2008 australian open 7 16.67%
current form matches with 2008 australian open 8 19.05%
current form is below 2008 australian open 27 64.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:29 AM   #61
country flag TheDream

TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it safe to say that sharapova has reach AO 2008 form?

capriati 2001 was impressive too.
TheDream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:29 AM   #62
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
I disagree. Ivanovic, Dementieva, Jankovic do not compare to Hingis, Davenport and Seles. And Henin had given up in 2008, so she was not the 2007 Henin but we can't bring up unrelated players even though it was solicited. If you actually look at Tennis Tipping from 2008, I knew Sharapova would maul Henin - I was the only who predicted it. Henin was done.

1999 USO given the caliber of players, etc is better than 2008 all things considered. Maria's form was better but the players were not.
Firstly, again, you can take Seles out of that, in 1999 she was in no way better than Dementieva, Ivanovic or Jankovic.

It comes down to, again, the fact that both Maria and Serena beat 3 players who finished that year in the top 5. So it comes down to who the 4th and 5th best wins her. I would certainly say Davenport (even well-past-her-peak 2008 Davenport) and Henin on a 32-match-winning-streak are more impressive than Martinez and 16-year-old Clijsters. No?
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:32 AM   #63
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
You truly are one horrendous joke when it comes to the Williams Sisters.
Please elaborate, I'm excited to see how you're gonna try to spin this one. I still remember the hilarity you provided when you tried to claim Serena's draw at the US Open last year was tougher than Maria's RG draw, simply because Errani was technically a top 10 player when Serena beat her but wasn't when Maria beat her
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:33 AM   #64
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobruiz View Post
If I didn't already know you were a troll, I'd say you don't know anything about tennis.

Of course that's probably true, too.

"Yes, it could be argued that she’s playing even better than her run in 2008, which was two months before she first injured her right shoulder that eventually led to surgery."
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...668150191.html

It's not the most ridiculous thing ever written.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:33 AM   #65
country flag TheDream

TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Firstly, again, you can take Seles out of that, in 1999 she was in no way better than Dementieva, Ivanovic or Jankovic.

It comes down to, again, the fact that both Maria and Serena beat 3 players who finished that year in the top 5. So it comes down to who the 4th and 5th best wins her. I would certainly say Davenport (even well-past-her-peak 2008 Davenport) and Henin on a 32-match-winning-streak are more impressive than Martinez and 16-year-old Clijsters. No?
serena beat 4 straight slam champions, including 2 who were holding slams at the time. no comparison.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:34 AM   #66
country flag Craig.
MA5HA

Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
It was on topic.
No, I didn't mean your post.

I just meant "Here we go, another Serena vs. Maria thread."
Craig. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:35 AM   #67
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream View Post
serena beat 4 straight slam champions, including 2 who were holding slams at the time. no comparison.
And Maria beat a player who was holding 2 slams at the time, yet you guys are trying to dismiss that because Henin was "nearly retired"
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:41 AM   #68
country flag TheDream

Quote:
And Maria beat a player who was holding 2 slams at the time, yet you guys are trying to dismiss that because Henin was "nearly retired"
not me. i always thought that was an impressive win over henin. the henin fans propagation that maria won by that scoreline because henin was burnt out. still, just saying serena's run more impressive.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:45 AM   #69
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Again, you can't compare the late 90's to the late 2000's. No way are Davenport, Hingis, and Seles comparable to Ivanovic and Jankovic. And did you watch Henin in early 2008? She was done in Sydney but Kuznetsova couldn't finish her off. You could tell her groundstrokes were fading. I have my conspiracy theory as to why she retired ... cough ... but her lack of interest, let's go with that, showed. Beating a 32-match win streak Henin in 2008 was not the same as the Henin in 2007. You keep using paper facts, such as "Top 5" and "32 match winning streak." Ivanovic and Jankovic comparable to Hingis and Davenport? Dementieva was irrelevant for ages at that point. 16 year old Clijsters beats a 32 year old Davenport (the same Davenport who dropped a set to Errani the round before, and no, not the 2012 Errani, the 2008 Errani) and Dementieva.

Late 90s beats late 2000's any day.

Maria's form would kill these players but the question is tougher draw. Tougher draw was 1999 USO. You could even throw in there 2000 Wimbledon for Venus. Hingis, who she had not beaten at a slam yet, Serena, then defending champion Davenport. Maria's 08 draw was not THAT fantastic. I mean with your logic, we could throw Serena's Olympic run by using PAPER stats. 4 former No. 1's and a former No 2. Is that really what happened? No.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:46 AM   #70
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream View Post
not me. i always thought that was an impressive win over henin. the henin fans propagation that maria won by that scoreline because henin was burnt out. still, just saying serena's run more impressive.
Agreed but Sharapova's demolition of Henin in the 06 USO final was more impressive.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #71
country flag CanIGetAWhat
♥ All-American Reject

CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute

CanIGetAWhat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote