The Israeli 2013 Elections Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 02:06 PM   #1
country flag Shonami Slam

Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute
The Israeli 2013 Elections Thread

After realizing he won't be able to pass the budget, Prime Minister Netanyahu has sent the Parlemant home for new elections, knowing that his chances of winning again are high, especially after joining forces with one of israels right wing (fascist..) parties "israel beytenu" (isreal our home) led by Liberman who is handling different press charges these days.

on the left side, former journalist Shelly Yehimovich one her parties pre-election round and is in contention for second largest party.

the most interesting party, is, however "habayit ayehudi" (the jewish home) who with 40 something year old new star Bennet, stole almost 5 seats from the different parties. he is a former high-tech wiz and led the most popular campaign, consisting of cute graphics and tons of viral memes. he is well known for calling his voters "brother", a word which in it's local slang perhaps is best translated to the african american "brutha".

"shas" - the largest religious party, once again will join any party who wins into the coelition. they are merely in democracy for budgets, and maintaing the status quo - israel can do what they please as long as the religous sector has it's own rights, no military service, money for torah students, housing in settlements as well as other laws concerning every israeli - the holy shabat means nothing is available on saturdays, most importantly public transportation.

between the different sides, is another journalist who made the transition to politics - the hunky Yair Lapid, who was the concensus writer of the most popular week-end coloumn as well as the official presentor of the most popular weekend news show. this mass popularity has brought him incredible power in the early polls, and while he may have lost almost 50% of his initian chairs in parliment, he is still one to tilt these elections by joining the co-elition.

who did you vote for? who will win? who will join the coelition and who gets stuck out?

since we all know that israel is part of the world's worst conflict still going on, these elections are a HUGE thing.
if anyone would like to discuss, ask question and understand the different sides - this is a good chance to learn the israeli politics and it's structure better.

there are almost 70% of israelis that want an agreement with the palistinian athouraties. almost 20% are willing to go back to 67' borders (a huge cut in the countries size, including withdrawl from considerably large cities and giving back parts of jerusalem).
there is a huge debate over which way to go in economy as well - an even more liberal state than the one liberman lead to, or perhaps going a few steps back to social care.

feel free to add your thoughts, whichever side you are on!
if you have nothing important to say, please do so in non-tennis forum. if you have something you think is important, but is actually rubbish regarding anything other than tennis - please do so in the non-tennis forum. if you have something tennis related to say, but it's actually "OMG, X player is so h0t!1" or "who has the biggest boobs on the wtatour" please do so in menstennisforum, under "wta forum". if you have something important, tennis-related and interesting to say please do so. No one in the world can understand how much tennis means to someone, except another fan.
Shonami Slam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 02:19 PM   #2
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Israeli 2013 Elections Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonami Slam View Post

there are almost 70% of israelis that want an agreement with the palistinian athouraties.
Surprised it so few. I thought some kind of piece agreement would have been wanted by nearly everyone this side of few extermists.

Quote:
almost 20% are willing to go back to 67' borders (a huge cut in the countries size, including withdrawl from considerably large cities and giving back parts of jerusalem).
Not surprised it is so few. Every Israeli that I've talked in last year so ( and I visited the country ) told me that East Jerusalem should be beyond any negotiation, ( as well as permanently keeping the Holans )- everything else, most of the people are kind of fine negotiating.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 02:58 PM   #3
country flag Shonami Slam

Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute

well, when presented with the question : would you like peace: - the answer is "yes" for almost all people.

but the moment that and retreat of land is invlolved, the number drops considerably.
70% = people who are willing to return land (though most prefer to give up land they personally don't regard as "important" be in for religous, securaty or financial reasons).

the golan is consedered not part of the israeli palestinian situation, but rather with Lebanon and Syria.
it is now regarded by most israelis that we do not need to return the Golan, but for peace, there also quite many that are willing.
i don't have any stats regarding this, however.
if you have nothing important to say, please do so in non-tennis forum. if you have something you think is important, but is actually rubbish regarding anything other than tennis - please do so in the non-tennis forum. if you have something tennis related to say, but it's actually "OMG, X player is so h0t!1" or "who has the biggest boobs on the wtatour" please do so in menstennisforum, under "wta forum". if you have something important, tennis-related and interesting to say please do so. No one in the world can understand how much tennis means to someone, except another fan.
Shonami Slam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 06:19 PM   #4
country flag Monzanator
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute

Netanjahu is evil. He'll never get over his brother's death and will always take it personal against Palestine. Besides I'll never support the settlements on the West Bank and East Jerusalem. Israelis want to be left alone on their grounds yet keep invading the Palestine dominated region. Go and figure. This will eventually blow up right in some big wigs' face. Why not expel all the Palestines from West Bank? It's not the Gaza Strip after all, what is keeping Netanjahu at bay. He's having no second thoughts over East Jerusalem
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent 2012; (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14, Washington '14
Monzanator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 06:43 PM   #5
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

The most interesting development in the past week isn't @ the ballot box, where Bibi Netanyahu will very likely be PM again, in a (more) rightwing coalition. It was Israel's architect of the 1993 Oslo Agreements (Yossi Beilin) publicly urging Mahmoud Abbas to carry out his threat to dissolve the Palestinian Authority (though Barack Obama got Abbas to take a step back on that). Just as well that he does IMO, as its become a figleaf for the status quo, not a two-state solution.

Edit: the new coalition will likely be more centrist, as among the "3rd parties", a new centrist one is getting 19 of the 120 seats in the Knesset, with the new one on the (far) right only 11. Whatever, and maybe the prospect of the Palestinians dissolving their impotent PA shocked the Israeli electorate somewhat to the center.

=====================================

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.

Last edited by *JR* : Jan 23rd, 2013 at 12:32 AM.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 03:23 PM   #6
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

Results are good , right?

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 06:49 PM   #7
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ys View Post

Results are good , right?
Compared to what could have happened, yes.

[snip: U.S. officials remain cautious as they wait to see what kind of coalition Netanyahu cobbles together.

But they are also hopeful that the surprising gains by his center-left challengers will set the stage for forming a broad-based government more in sync with Obama's agenda, including holding off on any Israeli attack on Iran's nuclear sites and trying to restart stalled peace talks with the Palestinians.

A more moderate Israeli coalition could lower tensions with Washington - which have been aggravated by Netanyahu's demands for U.S. "red lines" on Iran's nuclear program - and help ease Israel's international isolation, deepened in response to settlement expansion plans on occupied land.

The likelihood of a purely right-wing government has receded, along with the headaches that would cause for Obama," said David Makovsky, an expert at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. "So there's a better chance for Netanyahu to find a 'modus vivendi' with the U.S."]

Full (Reuters) article: http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/bre...election-obama

And PP (President Putin) basically said "hands off Iran"....

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/bre...ar-iran-russia

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 07:21 PM   #8
country flag Wert.

Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute

Peer posted a pic of her voting for this for the first time on FB.
Wert. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote