Womens Tennis in General - Page 334 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 05:08 AM   #4996
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

I made this some time ago. I wasn't wrong, apparently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MiniSerena.jpg (66.8 KB, 7 views)
Advertisement

Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 05:27 AM   #4997
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Even before her injury Serena was playing a fairly mediocre match, her C game I suppose. The match was pretty boring up til the middle of the 2nd set.

Serena had won 23 sets in a row going back to the 3rd set of the US Open final prior to losing the 2nd set today.

Serena's longest winning streak of her career remains at 21 matches: from the 2nd round (1st round bye) of Rome in 2002 til the quarters of Los Angeles where she lost 7-5 in the 3rd set to Rubin.

This is the 2nd time Serena has lost to a player born after 1987 in the slams, the 1st was Makarova last year. Nobody born after 1987 has beaten Serena twice (slams and non-slams) though.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)

Last edited by Protoss : Jan 23rd, 2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: clarification of Serena's losses to players born after 1987
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 06:16 AM   #4998
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

So, there's a big chance of a repeat of a last year's final. I'd prefer if it was Li Na vs Azarenka as that produces less noise. Or does anyone think Stephens has what it takes to take out Azarenka?
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 06:29 AM   #4999
country flag JadeFox

JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute

Nice win for Sloane and once again goes to show how tennis can be unpredictable. People were ready to hand Serena the trophy.

When Daylight's fading,We're gonna play in the dark
Till it's golden again
JadeFox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 07:06 AM   #5000
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Even before her injury Serena was playing a fairly mediocre match, her C game I suppose. The match was pretty boring up til the middle of the 2nd set.

Serena had won 23 sets in a row going back to the 3rd set of the US Open final prior to losing the 2nd set today.

Serena's longest winning streak of her career remains at 21 matches: from the 2nd round (1st round bye) of Rome in 2002 til the quarters of Los Angeles where she lost 7-5 in the 3rd set to Rubin.

This is the 2nd time Serena has lost to a player born after 1987, the 1st was Makarova last year. Nobody born after 1987 has beaten Serena twice though.
Is there a qualifier in this sentence that you forgot to include? Obviously Caroline defeated Serena (Miami, 2012) and she was born after 1987. Azarenka (also born after 1987) has also defeated her.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 07:17 AM   #5001
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so happy that this is not going to be another slam where Serena just destroys the competition. I'm not happy that she was unable to compete at her best but she is fairly old (for a tennis player) and these kinds of injury problems are only going to become more common. It's easy to just assume that she is going to win everything but I think this loss really underscores how phenomenal she was last summer/fall. Winning Wimbledon, Olympic Gold, the U.S. Open and the YEC? That is an incredibly impressive run and most players would be thrilled to end their careers having won any one of those tournaments.

As far as who is left, well, any one of them could win. Sloane is obviously the least likely and I'm not sure how she would handle being in a slam final. For that reason I hope that she doesn't make it. We have seen quite a few Vika/Maria matches over the last two years so I guess I am hoping for Vika/Na. I don'rt recall seeing them play each other before and as far as slam finals go they are kind of similar in terms of experience. Not having a dog in the fight the thing that I am most hopeful for is a competitive three set match. I definitely do not want a repeat of the 2012 final!

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 07:23 AM   #5002
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Is there a qualifier in this sentence that you forgot to include? Obviously Caroline defeated Serena (Miami, 2012) and she was born after 1987. Azarenka (also born after 1987) has also defeated her.
Yah, thanks for pointing that out. I meant in the slams.

Vika has came the closest to beating Serena for a 2nd time when she was up 5-3 3rd set in the US Open final.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 08:48 AM   #5003
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeFox View Post
Nice win for Sloane and once again goes to show how tennis can be unpredictable. People were ready to hand Serena the trophy.
Yep. Some bookies had her odds ON to win the tournament. Before even a single ball had been played. Best odds I saw, was 2.02 on the fair exchange

I cannot say, I am shocked. At age 31, it's easier to pick up an injury and as I've argued for before, it's the short muscle fibered 'power players', who are the most prone to injuries (not the long muscle fibered retrievers, pushers if you prefer).

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 02:35 PM   #5004
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

It's time to move the AO back to it's old slot... This early in the season it's too much of a lottery with players still building form and fitness.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #5005
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
It's time to move the AO back to it's old slot... This early in the season it's too much of a lottery with players still building form and fitness.
I don't like how early the OZ Open comes in the season either. It's a bit odd to have a major only two weeks into a season.

As in move it back to December? I don't like that idea as players don't get an offseason that way.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 02:34 AM   #5006
country flag Protoss

Wow. Li held for 6-2 1st set.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #5007
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
I don't like how early the OZ Open comes in the season either. It's a bit odd to have a major only two weeks into a season.

As in move it back to December? I don't like that idea as players don't get an offseason that way.
As a season ender, the culmination of the far east swing, just before the YEC, late October early November.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 03:17 AM   #5008
country flag Protoss

Wow. Li holds for 6-2 2nd set at Ad Li from 30-15 to 30-30 to 40-30 to 40-40. The match was a lot closer than the score indicates though.

I can't believe how many opportunities the normally mentally tough Sharapova failed to take advantage of.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #5009
country flag backhandsmash

backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute

Would be funny if it was Aga that had beat her instead. But GO LI!
backhandsmash is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:17 AM   #5010
country flag Protoss

Vika breaks for 6-1 1st set.