AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel. - Page 126 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 05:45 PM   #1876
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Btw, Fighterpova, I don't want to look like I'm bullying you, but are you SERIOUS when you say you'd prefer a loss in the semifinals over a loss in the final?!?
Some people would, although even though all these Final losses suck, going the one extra is great for her maintaining the 80% match win stat, assuming she'll have one or two mediocre/sucky years before retirement.

IDK even if she gets past Li, which is certainly NOT a given by any means, I'll still watch the Final vs Serena.

I've actually thought about the whole Maria 'finals block' thing and I'm not sure I buy it, I think people need to realise that Maria has played pretty shit in most of her non-clay tournaments since she's came back, and on the many occasions she's managed to make the Final she's duly lost. You can't just pull tennis out of your ass if you haven't shown glimpses of it in several prior tournaments never mind the tournament you're playing in. I mean looking at her Finals, based on form the only surprising losses are perhaps Li in Birmingham, the epic choke to Clijsters and Aga although we grossly underestimated her.
It sucks that there has been two Slam Finals lost and a lot to the loathsome Vika but Maria will win when she's playing well enough to win. Which is why she hasn't lost a Final on clay, she's one of the best on the surface consistently.

[/rant]

Anything can happen, I'm not losing hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 06:02 PM   #1877
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherahpova View Post
Some people would, although even though all these Final losses suck, going the one extra is great for her maintaining the 80% match win stat, assuming she'll have one or two mediocre/sucky years before retirement.
But I just don't understand that mindset atall though, and never have. Like, I've just never seen ANYONE try and detract from a player's greatness by saying "yeah well, they lost a lot of finals". I just don't understand why someone would say it's better to lose in an early round rather than lose in a final

I mean, do people say Capriati is greater than fellow 3-Slam-titles Davenport, just because Capriati never lost a Slam final? Davenport is obviously greater, and one of the reasons for that is because she made so many more Slam finals. I dunno, it would be the strangest thing in the world to me if someone suggested Capriati was greater just because she didn't make those extra finals that Davenport did in the first place, even if she ended up losing them.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 06:08 PM   #1878
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

I mean I guess I should clarify: obviously I'm not stupid, I'd much a prefer a title to a runner-up plate if those were my options I'm just saying, if someone offered me a career where I could win say 2 Slam titles but no extra finals, or to take those 2 Slam titles plus a load of extra finals in addition, for me it would be a no-brainer to take the second option.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 06:12 PM   #1879
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But I just don't understand that mindset atall though, and never have. Like, I've just never seen ANYONE try and detract from a player's greatness by saying "yeah well, they lost a lot of finals". I just don't understand why someone would say it's better to lose in an early round rather than lose in a final

I mean, do people say Capriati is greater than fellow 3-Slam-titles Davenport, just because Capriati never lost a Slam final? Davenport is obviously greater, and one of the reasons for that is because she made so many more Slam finals. I dunno, it would be the strangest thing in the world to me if someone suggested Capriati was greater just because she didn't make those extra finals that Davenport did in the first place, even if she ended up losing them.
Exactly, this is why I don't partake in the whole Serena vs Evert and Navrat debates. For me, I class her with them in the sense of greatest of her era but when you look at they both made like 40 Slam Finals while skipping two a year for large parts of their career you realise how much more accomplished they are.

Plus, it leaves no doubt in the mind. The worst type scenario for me is one like last USO where she loses in SF and then Serena throws in a shitshow in the Final and you're wondering if she had just won that match just maybe...
It sucks to see her lose Finals but in years to come we'll look back and be proud of them.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 06:26 PM   #1880
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Believe it or not, at the last FIVE SLAMS RUNNING, Maria has got handed extremely tough draws at the beginning At both the AO and RG last year, she was drawn to play Serena in the QFs. Then obviously she got Pironkova and Lisicki just in the first 4 rounds at Wimbledon. And at the US Open she was slated to play USO Series winner Kvitova in the QFs. If these idiots think she's been getting cakewalks up til now, then let's see what they say when she ACTUALLY gets cakewalk draws of the type Serena's got at the last 2 Slams

I thought Maria was ok today, nothing more. I don't know about anyone else, but I actually thought she seemed to be playing deliberately more conservatively today -- she didn't seem to be going for as much from the first shot of the rally as she has for most of this tournament, and she was smothering her forehand with more topspin a la Claypova. I guess I can't complain seeing as she got through so comfortably, but I do think she's going to have to be better next round
Azarenka was in exactly same # of time in Serena's half (0 times in QF) in last 5 slams as Maria. (Radwanska even less, only 1 of 5...) And nobody cares about the rest. But whatever.

About Makarova match, I wouldnt take much from it, she is different matchup than previous or upcoming opponents. Also someone said Maria had to warm up like 7 times before because of that total joke Almugro, and usually when she has to wait she is way more messy.
But yeah, she has to do better. I'm just hoping serve & return will hold up, rest will follow. Though I'm not exactly scared by Na right now.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 06:32 PM   #1881
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

I am a bit scared of Li... It will be a big test for Mash. If she manages to win and get to final again, I will be exstatic.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 07:08 PM   #1882
Crux Squall

Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future

Both Maria and Li have yet to
drop a set en route to the 2013 Aussie
Open, so it will be a tough match
Suicide Tennis
Tipping Rank:#29
PAW Rank:#29 Titles New Haven 2014
FITD Rank:#81.
Three Hands Titles Montreal, Tokyo 2014
Crux Squall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 07:15 PM   #1883
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM_1257 View Post
I am a bit scared of Li... It will be a big test for Mash. If she manages to win and get to final again, I will be exstatic.
I guess I'm sorta in a can't lose situation when it comes to that match. I love both players about equally, so I'll be happy for the winner and disappointed for the loser. I just hope that whoever wins that match goes on to win the title.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 07:42 PM   #1884
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Btw, Fighterpova, I don't want to look like I'm bullying you, but are you SERIOUS when you say you'd prefer a loss in the semifinals over a loss in the final?!?
Yes, I'm serious I'm tired of her losing so many finals and we know she obviously has no chance vs Serena. It must be frustrating if you try hard, practice hard and give it your all plus you're playing your best and still can't have a chance at winning a set vs a player even though you're 2nd on the WTA list!

Though, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure Maria will beat Li (probably in 2 as well), so anyway
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 07:44 PM   #1885
country flag effedcamel

effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future

Haven't watched Na throughout the tourney, but her serve didn't look to great yesterday - not just saying that because she shanked one. Granted Maria's hasn't been too hot either, but it's been clutch and still has more pop than Li's, so she should feel confident on return.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 07:46 PM   #1886
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

As for the SF vs Li, I'm very glad they're playing each other. Maria did lose to her 4 times in a row, but all of those losses came when Na was in great form and Maria was extremely inconsistent.

She is a much better player now than she was in 2009/2010/2011 when she lost all of those matches and she beat Li 3 times in 2012 (2 of the 3 matches even included bagels).

I think this has the potential to be a close match, but I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of 7-5 7-5 for Masha
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 07:55 PM   #1887
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpova View Post
Yes, I'm serious I'm tired of her losing so many finals and we know she obviously has no chance vs Serena. It must be frustrating if you try hard, practice hard and give it your all plus you're playing your best and still can't have a chance at winning a set vs a player even though you're 2nd on the WTA list!

Though, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure Maria will beat Li (probably in 2 as well), so anyway
But, even if one thinks losing to Serena would be inevitable (which....I don't even want to get into that because I don't want to tempt fate about the semifinal), I don't understand why Maria being 3rd/4th best, by losing in the semifinals, is better than being 2nd best?
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 07:58 PM   #1888
country flag Fighterpova

Well I get what you're saying I don't want Maria to lose at all obviously, and I will obviously root for her to win against Li Na, I'm just saying SF losses are less painful than final losses
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 07:58 PM   #1889
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

The post count on this thread is way down from 2012 RG thread even though Maria is no less dominant.

Either fans have grown used to Maria's successes, or are aprehensive about a potential loss to Serena in the final.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 08:04 PM   #1890
country flag Fighterpova

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18majors View Post
The post count on this thread is way down from 2012 RG thread even though Maria is no less dominant.

Either fans have grown used to Maria's successes, or are aprehensive about a potential loss to Serena in the final.
2012 RG was Maria's magnum opus