Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 31 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 09:54 AM   #451
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

I agree with the comments above regarding the coaching. I also believe Caro never liked the idea of having a new coach. The fact that she still had Piotr around when the other coach was with her on the court implies that. I think it was an idea of Piotr himself to try new input, he let himself heard several times in the press that he was looking for his replacement. I think that he probably convinced her to give it a try but she was not really committed to that decision.
Maybe this dependance will be detrimental for her in a long run but if a person is not comfortable with new input it's never going to bring anything positive for them no matter how good it was.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 11:29 AM   #452
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know if she is dependent on her dad.
I look at it as a comfort zone issue.
After losing in round 1 in 2 majors in a row, she went to watch golf all week.
I think a fulltime coach would want her to watch the match again and work on what she's not doing well.
With her dad, she knows she can do whatever she wants. Set her training hours and type of practice.

Ultimately, I'll type this for the millionth time, its mental. She just played 3 hardcourt tournaments and lost a 3rd set all 3 matches. Didnt play any top 20 players.
Maybe Sveta is a top 20 player now? She cant be better than Kerber, they just played. You have to take those breakpoints and beat her
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 03:00 PM   #453
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
I agree with the comments above regarding the coaching. I also believe Caro never liked the idea of having a new coach. The fact that she still had Piotr around when the other coach was with her on the court implies that. I think it was an idea of Piotr himself to try new input, he let himself heard several times in the press that he was looking for his replacement.
Well, they've tried this since Caro was a junior, but every time, the Princess has called it 'rejected. Go away' .. Maybe it is comfort for her. Maybe she knows, Piotr won't demand as much, as an external coach will, so she gets away with doing what she wants .. Who knows .. And I don't really care, as long she's winning matches. She just isn't, and ... as Goldenlux has said a million times ... she's not mentally there any more.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 03:26 PM   #454
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah,an external coach isn't always necessary--just look at the WS or Hingis.The problem is that it would be intellectually dishonest of Caro to cite those examples because she's not getting anything close to those types of results

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Fare thee well, Li
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 04:18 PM   #455
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Her level of play was not good in the 1st set. Sveta's level wasnt good in the 2nd.
Its not like Caro became a terrible player. She played some awful matches, like the loss the Ivanovic at IW.
But this loss was in the ballpark with her losses to Safarova and Goerges and Paszek and Kanepi. She played well enough to be in contention and still couldnt get thru to play an actual contender.
Her problem is winning the matches. Its not like she dropped to where she cant compete
The performance was also in the ballpark of many of her victories. Even during her best string of rusults there was always an ebb and flow to her focus, with many matches beeing nail-bitingly frustrating for her fans.

Personally I sense a degree of mass hysteria here amoung some fans, coupled with short memory of just how toutch and go her run at the top was. If Caro ever had a killer instinct, it was merely relative to her oponant. Many of her most memorable victories for me, were more about hanging in there to the last through pure stuboness, rather than some planed mental prowess.

She seems like a smart girl, and her game reflects an understanding of the match flow, which will with experience, evolve to a more controled effort at key moments. The fearlesness of youth eventual gives way to the wisdom of age and experience, and at this point we will see if she has the makings to go all the way or not. If at this stage in her young career she had yet to taste success I would wory, but thats not the case. She still has the hurdle of her first slam to surmount, but when she does there should be many, just as it was when she was folding in PM tourneys.

Those who (and I don't mean you) think that she is in some new state of mental fragility, should look back at the good times and realise that this mind set has always been there. There is always a danger in assumption, be it reasoning for past prowess or future endeavour. Transition takes time, lets see where she is when she hits 25. Those under a different impression have probably picked the wrong player to support, because this one, while not being bunny in the headlights, has definitely always been a roller coaster of emotion to support, with ever changing patterns of the bizzare, be it "0-40 means nothing", "0-3 again", or "I'll worry at 2-5 in the third". I see change in aproach, she is becoming more measured, (she never was an all or nothing player) wise, and calculating as she progresses.

Against Sveta, it was clear the Sveta dug to deep in the 1st and was planing a set 3 surge, and my only critisism to Caroline would be not upping the stakes a little earlier in 3. She dropped her game on a few key early points. Hopefully she realises that and will get into a better match rhythm asap.

As for coaching. The key issue is evolution rather than revolution. Clearly any alternate coach would need to evolve her game from her strengths and what she has now, because radical change is too costly both competitively and mentally. To date her best service improvement came with the aid of Sven. It wasn't radical, but rather tweeking what she had. Clearly a lower toss would help, but we have seen what happens to players that mess too much with their ball toss.

Too much drama, and too little patience in this thread.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 04:44 PM   #456
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post

Probably true. Its only because she started her career so well, looking like a young superstar being in a USO final in 2009 then getting to #1 in 2010.
I have no doubt she is trying her best, and her level has been very consistent these last 20 months.

I wonder about the slow start in big matches. She didnt play well in set 1.
You cant afford to lose the first set in tough matches. She lost 16 to Kanepi at FO. Started very slow against Kim a year ago. Of course Begu.
I think they should study why she cant compete better in first sets in some of these slam matches. She doesnt play that many slam matches in a year, she has to be ready from the first point to beat good players

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 05:10 PM   #457
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Probably true. Its only because she started her career so well, looking like a young superstar being in a USO final in 2009 then getting to #1 in 2010.
I have no doubt she is trying her best, and her level has been very consistent these last 20 months.

I wonder about the slow start in big matches. She didnt play well in set 1.
You cant afford to lose the first set in tough matches. She lost 16 to Kanepi at FO. Started very slow against Kim a year ago. Of course Begu.
I think they should study why she cant compete better in first sets in some of these slam matches. She doesnt play that many slam matches in a year, she has to be ready from the first point to beat good players
She is still only 22, and never did have the shock and awe of a Masha etc. she has always been more of a wiley fox. What's more, while many have come and gone (or are in the process of going) she is still here near the top. Many players have a mid career crisis or two... Even the very best.

The slow starts could be any number of reasons. Finding her 'rydum', hitting partner off sick, wrong tactics, no practice court, unprepared (1st time matchup), unexpected aproach from oponant, still not reading the game like a wise old bird... You could ask other players the same question. Getting past needing on court coaching is still on the to do list.

It would be interesting to see if Angliru has some detailed slam stats for each year re slow 1st sets i.e. 1st set score and win or lose in 2 or 3. If I find time I might just nock some up my self.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 05:21 PM   #458
country flag goldenlox

Yeah, she's still very young. So if she can improve, there's plenty of time.
I hope they can improve her overhead & net game. Even just a little improvement could help on some key points.

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 05:36 PM   #459
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute

It was a good performance from Caro. Stay poitive. But strong Draws will wait in Doha und Dubai.
Saraya! is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 08:16 PM   #460
country flag Burisleif

Quote:
Yeah, she's still very young. So if she can improve, there's plenty of time.
I hope they can improve her overhead & net game. Even just a little improvement could help on some key points.
Would be nice... She used to be reasonably strong at the net in juniors...
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 04:16 AM   #461
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
The epitome of patience might be watching two moonballers in a stalemate on red clay.Compared to one of them,Caro is a reckless S&V'er

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Fare thee well, Li
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 06:32 AM   #462
country flag JadeFox

JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya00000 View Post
It was a good performance from Caro. Stay poitive. But strong Draws will wait in Doha und Dubai.
She'll have tough draws for a while but I think she's up for the challenge. One thing I liked seeing was her fight in this tournament. Hopefully she can keep calm and carry on as the Brits say.

When Daylight's fading,We're gonna play in the dark
Till it's golden again
JadeFox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 07:09 AM   #463
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

She may get an "easy" draw in Kuala Lumpur but as far as slams/madatories/premiers go I think that until she significantly raises her game every draw will be tough. When was the last time that she played a match and, as a fan, you were not worried that she might lose?

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 07:36 AM   #464
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
She may get an "easy" draw in Kuala Lumpur but as far as slams/madatories/premiers go I think that until she significantly raises her game every draw will be tough. When was the last time that she played a match and, as a fan, you were not worried that she might lose?
Are you referring to being worried that Caro might lose before a match or during a match?
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 07:39 AM   #465
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
About "easy draws" - I was against Caro making any major changes going into 2011 hardcourt summer because she was going deep in every hardcourt draw.
Stuff happens. Like Serena having a mild injury in doubles and losing in singles. If that happened in 2011 USO Caro might have been in the USO final vs Stosur. Then Sam wouldnt be a huge underdog like she was vs Serena. She might have played a nervous match like her FO semi loss this year to Errani.
Then Caro wins 2011 USO.
So I was always against making severe changes when you are getting to almost hardcourt slam semi.

Now she doesnt get thru any slam or Tier ! draws. So if they wanted to change her mechanics on forehand &/or serve, I would be all for it.
Do it now, it they really think it would help her game.
I dont see how she's a contender at next 2 majors now. She wasnt going thru FO & Wimbledon draws at her best anyway. This would be the right time to fix something or change something.
At worst, she cant do it and you go back to her current style late this summer

Closed Thread