My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #16
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

Nice write up K-King
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #17
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFromRichmond View Post
We're entitled to our opinions, but I feel that Kimiko Date doesn't belong on this list. Anyone can have a couple of lucky wins, but she had no pedigree coming into this tournament as she has barely won a WTA match the first 10 months of 2012 and her ranking dropped by 100 spots in two years. Beating a similar free falling Shahar Peer to get to round 3 is no great accomplishment.

Elena Vesnina who is won her first tournament last week and has backed it up by getting past round 3 to now play Azarenka, or Ekaterina Makarova, who is backing up last year's quarterfinal performance with another quarterfinal, beating TWO seeds along the way are much more deserving of being on this list.
As many of you are aware, I used to be a Vesnina fan. However she is a bit too much hit or miss for my liking. I did consider putting her on my list, however reframed from doing so as I thought it was more a case of her doing a few hits in a row rather than either being a) a real title contender, b) someone to look out for the future, c) a golden oldie.

Best of luck to Vesnina, and she'd be in my top 20 and I can see why she's in yours... but shes certainly not in my top 10 because of what I said earlier.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #18
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCourt~Rally View Post
Nice write up K-King
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #19
country flag kittyking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
She is just doing her usual job, so no surprise here

-
Haha well yes that's true, her job description says win tennis matches and she doesn't do the opposite very often!
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:47 PM   #20
country flag kittyking

After Sloane reached the quarterfinals, all be it over Bojana... she may be on top ten list
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #21
country flag kittyking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyking View Post
As has became the normal at these sort of events, here are my official top 10 players from week one of the open... enjoy

10. Laura Robson

In my opinion the best British player, and a big hope for the future. Good fighting qualities, although plays the occasional 'interesting' (aka what-were-you-thinking!) shot. And there is something unusual about her left foot, has anyone else noticed it? She's currently down 5-6 against Sloane Stephens, if she wins this match I may have put her higher up the list.

9. Flipper Flipkens

Adonkable, and you can't help but love this girl. A fantastic junior back in the day, hasn't ever really done much on the tour - but she gives it a good go, credit where it's deserved

8. Na Li

Done what she's had too to get through, hasn't lost a set so far. On her day she's a very dangerous player, and I would love it if she could win another slam. A dark horse, as usual.

7. Madison Keys

One to look out for in the future, I really rate this girl. Goes for winners off both sides, will only improve with more time on the WTA tour.

6. Jamie Hampton

Such a shame about her back problem. Love to watch this girl, and if she doesn't make the top 20 within three years I'm willing to kiss a toad. Total sweetheart, hope she returns to Auckland next year. The future of American tennis is bright so long as she remains injury free.

5. Svetlana Kuznetsova

You have to admire her, she is getting older and her shots aren't as good as they used to be... but she can always pull out a surprise as she has done this week. No one believes she will win another grand slam, except perhaps herself. A very dangerous dark horse.

4. Agnieszka Radwanska

I still can't spell her name, but you might as well call her future grand slam champion. Unbeaten this year, yet to lose a set this year and playing very well in Melbourne so far. Her major weapon is her brain, and perhaps killing opponents with kindness. Unfortunately she needs more than that to challenge Serena or Maria.

3. Queen Kimiko Date-Krumm

Would probably have made this list regardless of how she performed this week, she is a legend particularly in Asia. Won two matches already, and playing a third shortly. I'm surprised that she hasn't got involved with politics yet, she is a great role model, very good speaker and appears very confident. Oh yea, and a damn good tennis player!

2. Maria Sharapova

The princess off court and monster on court. Playing simply unbelievably, nearly back to her best and if Serena loses a leg or faints from heatstroke then she could definatly win this title

1. Serena Williams

Forget 007, what about 207! As much as I love to hate her, she's creaming everyone. So long as she stays awake in the second week, and isn't kidnapped or anything... she's already got one hand on the trophy.
Not many of mine did well in week 2
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #22
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Unseeded player coming through.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #23
country flag BillFromRichmond

BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyking View Post
Not many of mine did well in week 2
Yeah, but I think everyone but Aga, Maria and Serena were happy with their overall results. And Li Na made the final! It doesn't get much better than that!
BillFromRichmond is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #24
country flag kittyking

Was very pleased for Li Na, I did call her the darkhorse :P