Welcome to the Top 20 Sloane Stephens! - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:39 AM   #16
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future
Re: Welcome to the Top 20 Sloane Stephens!

She's the new Varvara Lepchenko.

JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:41 AM   #17
country flag mdterp01

mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Sloane, but getting there is only part of it. Still need to scalp a big player or win a title to be considered a threat.

Serena Williams Australian Open Champion (03,05,07,09,10)
French Open Champion (02,13)
Wimbledon Champion (02,03,09,10,12)
US Open Champion (99,02,08,12,13,14)
mdterp01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:48 AM   #18
country flag charmedRic
Rican In The Burgh

charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:49 AM   #19
country flag Simugna Help

Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdterp01 View Post
Congrats Sloane, but getting there is only part of it. Still need to scalp a big player or win a title to be considered a threat.
Yes. Her game is not yet at the level of your standard top 20 player, eg. Vinci, Cibulkova or Ivanovic. So I think she's going to hit a wall rankings-wise and hover around #15-#25 for quite some time. Though she's still young and still improving, so 2 or 3 years from now she might take that next big step into top 10. Who knows.
Simugna Help is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:56 AM   #20
country flag fast lefty

fast lefty is a name known to all fast lefty is a name known to all fast lefty is a name known to all fast lefty is a name known to all fast lefty is a name known to all fast lefty is a name known to all fast lefty is a name known to all fast lefty is a name known to all fast lefty is a name known to all fast lefty is a name known to all fast lefty is a name known to all

Hope she can keep it up and beat top players. Consistency is the key.
fast lefty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 11:08 AM   #21
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stefwhit View Post
That's interesting. So it appears she's gotten there off of the strength of her performances in the majors. That's the absolute best place to peak so good for her.
Her performance in the majors though is underwhelming when you think about it. With the exception of the French, she lost to the first seeded player she faced. Which will probably happen here as well, since she's up against Serena. Stephens was lucky enough to avoid facing seeded players until she could get some major points out of it.

Don't get me wrong, Stephens is a very good and consistent player. You don't get to the top 20 by being a bad player but she really hasn't had what I'd call an impressive run to date.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 11:13 AM   #22
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotre View Post
Her performance in the majors though is underwhelming when you think about it. With the exception of the French, she lost to the first seeded player she faced. Which will probably happen here as well, since she's up against Serena. Stephens was lucky enough to avoid facing seeded players until she could get some major points out of it.

Don't get me wrong, Stephens is a very good and consistent player. You don't get to the top 20 by being a bad player but she really hasn't had what I'd call an impressive run to date.
Nothing she's done has been impressive so far.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 11:31 AM   #23
country flag Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Good for her but I still think she is nothing special. Keys and Vekic are the real deal.

Chakvetadze Barthel Kerber Bencic Pavlyuchenkova Halep Muguruza Lottner
Setsuna. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 11:34 AM   #24
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 11:36 AM   #25
country flag Juju Nostalgique
Rest in peace Bally

Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute

Jamie Hampton & Danka Kovinić & Sam Crawford & SaiSai Zheng & Tita Tower Flower
Juju Nostalgique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 02:33 PM   #26
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotre View Post

Not true. Defeated Cetkovska, #25 at Wimbledon, and pushed Lisicki, grass goat, to 3 sets at Wimbledon. No impressive runs but she also really doesn't play a lot, either. She'll get there, no worries.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 02:42 PM   #27
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
Not true. Defeated Cetkovska, #25 at Wimbledon, and pushed Lisicki, grass goat, to 3 sets at Wimbledon. No impressive runs but she also really doesn't play a lot, either. She'll get there, no worries.
You're quite right. She didn't beat a seeded player at RG, the only major where she didn't fall to the first seeded player was Wimbledon. The mistake arose because I assumed that she'd beaten a seed at the tournament she progressed furthest in. My bad.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 02:42 PM   #28
country flag Tennisfan06

Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisfan06 has a reputation beyond repute

How many wins over top 20 players she has?
Tennisfan06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 02:50 PM   #29
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisfan06 View Post
#15 Cibulkova 2013 Brisbane 6-2, 6-3
#17 Kirilenko 2012 Strasbourg 3-6, 7-5 RET
#20 Gorges 2011 Carlsbad 6-3, 7-5

She also beat Errani when Errani was 30 in the world in Miami 2012.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 03:24 PM   #30
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisfan06 View Post
3. Goerges #20, Carlsbad in 2011. Kirilenko, but by retirement, Strasbourg 2012, and Cibulkova #15, Brisbane in 2013.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote