Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 26 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #376
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
It's a bit frustrating how much more effective Aga's average low to mid 90s miles per hour 1st serve is compared to Caro's average high 90s to low 100s miles per hour 1st serve.
Aga has a smoother service motion than Caro and she's better at hitting the serve box lines. She's also better at disguising where she's gonna hit her serve. Players who have faced Caro many times - like Aga and Zvonareva - often become good at reading Caro's serve.

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Jan 20th, 2013 at 08:32 AM.
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #377
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's a bit frustrating how much more effective Aga's average low to mid 90s miles per hour 1st serve is compared to Caro's average high 90s to low 100s miles per hour 1st serve.
I find it a bit frustrating how limited Caroline's game is compared to Agnieszka's. Agnieszka certainly lacks power, particularly on her serve, but she makes up for that in the variety that her game has. I really think that Caroline would benefit greatly if she added more shots to her game and gave herself more options in how she wins points. When you look at the types of shots that Caroline uses it is a little shocking how much success she has had with such a basic game. How much better could she be if she mastered more shots?

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #378
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
I find it a bit frustrating how limited Caroline's game is compared to Agnieszka's. Agnieszka certainly lacks power, particularly on her serve, but she makes up for that in the variety that her game has. I really think that Caroline would benefit greatly if she added more shots to her game and gave herself more options in how she wins points. When you look at the types of shots that Caroline uses it is a little shocking how much success she has had with such a basic game. How much better could she be if she mastered more shots?
Well Caro's not been executing her basic game that well of late so trying to add more now doesn't seem like that good an idea.
It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, ten years after the Earth/Minbari war. The Babylon Project was a dream given form. Its goal: to prevent another war by creating a place where humans and aliens could work out their differences peacefully. It's a port of call, home away from home for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanderers. Humans and aliens wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal, all alone in the night. It can be a dangerous place, but it's our last best hope for peace. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2258. The name of the place is Babylon 5. (Jeffrey Sinclair: Babylon 5: Season 1: Signs and Portents)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #379
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
Aga has a smoother service motion than Caro and she's better at hitting the serve box lines. She's also better at disguising where she's gonna hit her serve. Players who have faced Caro many times - like Aga and Zvonareva - often become good at reading Caro's serve.
I gotta wonder about how much Caro works on her serve and just what they're trying to do with it.

For example, Johansson was trying to add more speed to her serve with the different stance.
It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, ten years after the Earth/Minbari war. The Babylon Project was a dream given form. Its goal: to prevent another war by creating a place where humans and aliens could work out their differences peacefully. It's a port of call, home away from home for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanderers. Humans and aliens wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal, all alone in the night. It can be a dangerous place, but it's our last best hope for peace. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2258. The name of the place is Babylon 5. (Jeffrey Sinclair: Babylon 5: Season 1: Signs and Portents)
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #380

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's a question of touch: Aga has it, Caro doesn't and if she ever had the chance to acquire it, it should have been worked on +10 years ago. I also wish Caro could hit more drop shots/slices/etc., but when she tries to, you can see that she doesn't have the natural fingerspitzengefühl - she only makes the intended shot like half the time - and I don't think she'd get much better at it now even with 1000 hours of training.
Caro may add a small thing or two to her game in the future (and hopefully improve her serve) but it's unlikely she'll ever be hitting shots she doesn't fully believe in on a regular basis, so I think we must get used to the idea that this is pretty much what her game is... and then admire her for what she has accomplished with great stamina and spirit despite her limited hitting repetoire.

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Jan 20th, 2013 at 09:29 AM.
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #381
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well Caro's not been executing her basic game that well of late so trying to add more now doesn't seem like that good an idea.
Yeah. Players like Aga & Vika stayed with their style & kept a natural progression in their careers.
Caro started making a lot of unforced forehand errors. Started losing to players she could beat. Lost her confidence. Lost any aura she had, where players once knew they had tp play well against Caro for hours, now they could see Caro would gift them the match if they could stay close.

Caroline let her career unravel, and for no reason except to experiment with aggressive forehands.
Now she has to try to get back to where she was in early 2011 while the players she was better than in 2011 are slowing moving forward in their career progression

So I think its 2 steps: 1-get back to where you used to be. 2-try to improve from where early 2011 Caro was playing
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #382
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's a question of touch: Aga has it, Caro doesn't and if she ever had the chance to acquire it, it should have been worked on +10 years ago. I also wish Caro could hit more drop shots/slices/etc., but when she tries to, you can see that she doesn't have the natural fingerspitzengefühl - she only makes the intended shot like half the time - and I don't think she'd get much better at it now even with 1000 hours of training.
Caro may add a small thing or two to her game in the future (and hopefully improve her serve) but it's unlikely she'll ever be hitting shots she doesn't fully believe in on a regular basis, so I think we must get used to the idea that this is pretty much what her game is... and then admire her for what she has accomplished with great stamina and spirit despite her limited hitting repetoire.
Every year around this time I am excited to see what she has been working on in the offseason and what changes/improvements she has made to her game and every year I am inevitably disappointed. I would save myself a bit of heartache if I started believing the bolded part of your post but I guess that I am too much of an optimist to think that this is as good as her game is going to get.

You do make some good points, maybe Caroline lacks "touch" in the same way that she lacks "power," but I still can't help believing that she is capable of making significant improvements to her game. Her shots may not look pretty but I don't think that means they can't be effective.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #383
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree, in the course of 2012 her basic game got worse thanks to the changes. Right now she needs to improve what she used to excel at - her consistency. At her best it was good enough to challenge even the player like Radwanska.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #384

Quote:
maybe Caroline lacks "touch" in the same way that she lacks "power"
The two are closely connected: if you have great touch you can transfer power from your racket to the ball more effectively.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #385
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

Caro's W/L against players ranked #75 or worse (WTA MD):

2008-2011: 66-4 (including a ret. against Kremer)

Since USO 2012: 3-3

Sveta is #75. Will be interesting...
angliru is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #386
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Horrible? This ratio is typical when she wins
I really hope you are joking. Otherwise a completely idiotic comment

R3 vs Tsurenko: 5 Winners, 17 UEs = - 12

That is a horrible stat. And why do you say this ratio is typical ?!

R1 vs Lisicki: 12 Winners, 8 UEs = + 4
R2 vs Vekic: 13 Winners, 15 UEs = - 2

Not to mention the great matches when Caro was playing as #1.

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 !
rucolo is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #387
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I think those numbers are overrated. Hold serve, win big points (like break points), and you can afford some errors.
The last 2 matches were tough to gauge. Young players who cant hold serve.
This starts the real tournament. How she plays the big points, and overall quality of her points, are what matters to me.
If I watch the match, I dont even care about winners and unforced error numbers.
I want to see play like IW 2011
Especially if she plays Vika. What matters are that she can go down the line when the opening is there, not hit short balls, and serve well and play the points well all match
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #388
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
I agree, in the course of 2012 her basic game got worse thanks to the changes. Right now she needs to improve what she used to excel at - her consistency. At her best it was good enough to challenge even the player like Radwanska.
Consistency may defeat the big, aggressive hitters but I think Caro's got to have some offensive game/ability to defeat another good defender.

Caro generally had more winners than Aga in their matches up until the 2011 YEC round robin match.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #389
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Players were asked what they'd do if they couldn't play tennis,and Kerber gave her usual automaton answer...she's actually a more boring,lifeless interview than Stosur is...and that's pretty hard to do.I think that if someone asked Kerber what her middle name was,she'd reply,"Ohhh,I don't know,I just try to play good every match and make my shots and I hope that I win."

Amongst the women who were interviewed,Caroline EASILY had the most introspective,thoughtful reply,and she sounded sincere,to boot,as if she had actually given the idea some serious thought.I know that there's an almost fairy-tale quality to Caroline's smile but,when you hear her talk,she comes across as a VERY real person...nothing at all like some of the phony Gal Smiley(that's the female version of Guy Smiley,right? )WTA cover girls who are supposedly so charming......until you catch them at the right moment

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Am working on a device that would translate cat meows to human languages
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #390
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Well we'll probably never know as Caro's attempts at adding things like a 1-handed slice or dropshot seem to be dropped pretty quickly. A decent slice should be in the toolskit of a good defender.

Other players seem to be able to add to their games or improve existing aspects but Caro doesn't seem to be able to.

I find it frustrating that she can't get herself something basic like a decent/solid forehand or a good 1st serve.

Last edited by Protoss : Jan 20th, 2013 at 07:22 PM.
Closed Thread