1992 - Page 32 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #466
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonfo View Post
Poor unseeded didn't have a chance
It is believed by tennis historians that Tami Whitlinger lies in the tomb of the unknown unseeded player.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #467

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Seles easy winner Sampras withdraws
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Monday, January 13, 1992
Paul Alexander, Associated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia - Defending champion Monica Seles shrugged off a neck injury today to inflict punishment on Japan's Akiko Kijimuta in the Australian Open.

Pete Sampras, the No. 6 men's seed, wasn't as lucky.

A sore shoulder forced him to withdraw from the Grand Slam event for the second straight year without playing a point.

Seles, making her first tournament appearance since November, rebounded from a first-game service break and barely broke a sweat in cruising past Japan's Akiko Kijimuta 6-2, 6-0 in 48 minutes.

Kijimuta wilted under the constant pressure and failed to hold any of her seven service games in the first-round match.

Seles, the top-seeded woman, has been slowed by a neck strain since arriving in Australia a week ago. She wore a brace for a day before switching to a scarf for warmth.

"Today was the first day I played without the scarf," she said. "Maybe just one or two points I was aware of it. But it felt fine.

"I'm not feeling that comfortable with the service because I didn't hit that many this week. I just wanted to get over the match."

But the two-month layoff did help Seles' attitude.

"I feel fresh," she said.

Boris Becker, wary of the strength-sapping heat of summer Down Under, wilted Jan Gunnarsson of Sweden with the steam of 25 aces in his first-round match.

While Becker smoldered on the court in 90-degree weather, one of his chief rivals, Sampras, got frozen out by injury again. The reigning ATP champion and 1990 U.S. Open winner left with an inflamed shoulder tendon that he aggravated last week in a tune-up event in Adelaide.

A year ago, Sampras withdrew from the Grand Slam event two days before the start because of shin splints.

The second-seeded Becker knocked off Gunnarsson 6-1, 6-4, 6-2 and seemed surprised when told he had 25 aces.

"That's good news," Becker said with a smile. "That's quite a lot, even for me. I couldn't have asked for a better match."

Top-seeded Stefan Edberg, appearing in a major tournament for the first time after a two-month layoff to recuperate from injuries, was nervous before his match. But he quickly picked up steam in ripping doubles partner Jeremy Bates of Britain 6-4, 6-2, 6-4.

"I didn't feel good to start with," Edberg said. "It took me a couple of games to get into it."

The first day of the two-week Grand Slam event also marked the Australian pro debut of 15-year-old Jennifer Capriati, who delighted an enthusiastic center-court crowd with a display of strength in ousting Natalia Medvedeva 6-2, 6-0.

The fifth-seeded Floridian, cheered on every point she won, spent nearly as much time signing autographs after the match as the 44 minutes she needed to dispatch her overwhelmed opponent.

A horde of courtside photographers, every lens pointed in Capriati's direction, clicked away constantly. Five young Mormon missionaries, based in Melbourne for two years, draped a U.S. flag over a railing.

Armed with a devastating 100 mph serve that got her out of the only two jams she faced, Capriati blasted seven aces and ran off the last 10 games of the match.

"I thought the crowd was cool," Capriati said. "They were into it. The atmosphere was great. I didn't know what to expect."

American Jeff Tarango came up with one of the only first-round upsets, coming back from two sets down to oust ninth-seeded Petr Korda 4-6, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3, 6-3.

His next match pairs him against fellow Stanford alumnus Patrick McEnroe, who beat Italy's Massimo Cierro 6-3, 6-4, 6-4. McEnroe reached the semifinals a year ago.

American Brad Gilbert, ranked 20th, was another early casualty, losing in five sets to No. 256 Lars Wahlgren of Sweden 1-6, 6-2, 6-1, 3-6, 6-2. Last year, Wahlgren ousted the No. 15 seed, Marc Rosset, in his only other five-set match.

Fifth-seeded Ivan Lendl, a two-time Australian Open champion, beat Australian Richard Fromberg 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 in the opening match on the 15,000-seat center court.

Elsewhere

At Sydney, Australia, top-seeded Gabriela Sabatini killed the chance of a family sweep in the New South Wales Open tournament by dominating No. 2 Arantxa Sanchez Vicario 6-1, 6-1 in the women's final.

Sanchez Vicario's brother, Emilio Sanchez, won the men's title Saturday.

At Auckland, New Zealand, Unseeded Jaime Yzaga of Peru overcame gusty winds and American MaliVai Washington to win the New Zealand Open.

Yzaga, playing his first ATP Tour event since the U.S. Open, defeated Washington 7-6 (8-6), 6-4 in a 1-hour, 51-minute baseline struggle.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #468

Capriati wins opening-round match, earns standing ovation
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Monday, January 13, 1992
Steve Wilstein, Associated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia - Jennifer Capriati completed her royal round of center-court debuts in Grand Slam championships with a sizzling show at the Australian Open.

Seeking to go beyond her semifinal finishes at the U.S. Open, Wimbledon and the French Open, the 15-year-old walloped Natalia Medvedeva 6-2, 6-0 in 44 minutes and won more than a standing ovation from the crowd.

Whistles and shouts punctuated her first match in the Australian, the year's first Grand Slam event, as the fans rallied behind from the start.

"I thought the crowd was cool," said the fifth-seeded Capriati, who made equally auspicious center-court debuts at the other Grand Slam events. "They were into it. The atmosphere was great. I didn't know what to expect."

Pummeling shots from the baseline and only occasionally venturing to the net, Capriati, with the bill of her white baseball cap flipped up, took control at 2-2 in the first set. She won 13 of the next 14 points and the final 10 games of the match. Serving in the 100 mph range, Capriati aced Medvedeva seven times, five in the second set.

Medvedeva, a Ukrainian ranked No. 82, seemed overwhelmed by the experience, double-faulting five times in the first set and making 40 unforced errors to Capriati's 23.

Patrick McEnroe, the quiet one who shook up the Australian Open by reaching the semifinals a year ago in his fiery brother's absence, stirred excitement again.

Stuck this time on the same side of the draw as older brother John, Patrick joined two-time champion Ivan Lendl as an easy straight-sets winner.

"It's definitely great to be back here," the younger Mac said after beating Italy's Massimo Cierro 6-3, 6-4, 6-4. "I have fond memories of last year. I love the courts and the surroundings. I know that it's different than last year, but I'm not coming here saying I have to get to the semis."

McEnroe, 25, arrived a year ago ranked No. 120, but after his sparkling play here and in several other tournaments he ended 1991 ranked No. 36, just eight spots behind his 32-year-old brother. Patrick is hoping to use this tournament to move up a little more, but isn't putting extra pressure on himself.

"I know the worst thing that could happen is I could fall a few spots in the rankings, but that's not going to kill me," the New York-born Stanford graduate said. "I know I'm playing better tennis than last year, and I know I'm in better shape. If I don't do as well, I'm not going to let it deter me.

"I don't put numerical goals on myself. I try to improve to reach my potential, wherever that is. I think the top 15 to 20 is a realistic goal for me. If I get there, that will be great."

With his brother missing last year due to a shoulder injury, but still on fans' minds because of his ejection in 1990, Patrick had plenty of attention on him. He handled it well, and his run to the semis - in which he barely lost to eventual champion Boris Becker in four sets - spurred him more than he thought possible.

"I was motivated all the time, even when I was ranked 200," McEnroe said. "But I think I'm more motivated now after having success. It made me work harder last year."

Lendl, perhaps the hardest-working player on the men's tour, continues at 30 to be a strong contender for another title here. The winner in 1989 and 1990, and runner-up to Boris Becker last year, the fifth-seeded Lendl donned his desert cap again in the stadium court heat and beat Australian Richard Fromberg 6-4, 6-2, 6-2.

"I feel like I'm not playing particularly well, but I'm winning matches easily, and that's confusing to me," Lendl said.

The M*A*S*H unit at the Australian Open was getting crowded even before the $4.7 million tournament began.

There was Stefan Edberg with an aching arm, Pete Sampras with a strained shoulder, Michael Stich and Guy Forget with inflamed elbows, David Wheaton with a sore leg, Goran Ivanisevic with a foot blister and sprained ankle, and John McEnroe with a bruised ego after three straight losses in a tune-up event.

Rumor had it that Becker was bothered by an ingrown toenail, but he was keeping quiet about that and all other matters until play begins.

The women appeared to be healthier, with defending champion Monica Seles recovered from a pain in the neck, three-time winner Steffi Graf over an ear infection, and no other major complaints among the top players.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #469

Graf withdraws; McEnroe rolls
Houston Chronicle
Tuesday, JANUARY 14, 1992
Steve Wilstein, AP

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Three-time Australian Open champion Steffi Graf withdrew from the tournament today, citing a viral infection.

The Women's Tennis Association made the announcement just hours before she was due to play her first-round match against compatriot Katja Oeljeklaus.

The German player was affected by a middle ear infection during the Hopman Cup in Perth 10 days ago.

She won the Australian Open in 1988, 1989 and 1990.

Lucky loser Ann de Vries of Belgium will take Graf's place in the draw, organizers said.

John McEnroe, meanwhile, returned to the court where his career hit an all-time low two years ago -- and played one of his best matches in a long time.

McEnroe began his 1992 Australian Open campaign with a 6-2, 6-0, 6-1 first-round victory over Australian left-hander Brod Dyke on the same court where he was thrown out of the tournament two years ago.

The veteran American kept his cool and completely outplayed Dyke in front of a center-court crowd that had expected fireworks.

McEnroe won the first dozen points and lost only two points on serve in the first two sets as Dyke, once Australia's top-ranked player but now No. 753 on the men's tour, sprayed balls everywhere but on the court.

In one stretch, after holding to 4-2 in the first set, the soft-serving Dyke won only three points over the next seven games.

McEnroe's only difficulty came when he led 40-15 in the opening game of the third set. His feet suddenly got tangled at the baseline while he tried to reverse direction and scoop up a deep forehand by Dyke. McEnroe rolled over and lay on the court a moment, holding his left ankle before getting up and testing it gingerly. He asked for a brief injury timeout, then returned to serve as fans applauded him.

Dyke pushed McEnroe to deuce twice and got his first break point of the match, but could do nothing with it as McEnroe finally held on a service winner. McEnroe then won the next two games at love - he won seven games at love overall - and wrapped up the match with no further trouble.

"It was one of those matches where his game played well into mine," McEnroe said. "I think I did everything well. This is the type of match I like to play."

Asked if he really thought he could win this first Grand Slam event of the year, McEnroe cracked, "Perhaps if a few guys break their leg on the way, perhaps if Boris falls over during the match. But if I were you I wouldn't bet your last dollar on it."

McEnroe next meets Russian Andrei Cherkasov, ranked No. 21, with the winner likely to face defending champion Boris Becker in the third round.

"I don't like to play the big servers," McEnroe said. "I like to attack, and Cherkasov is not a big server."

Meanwhile, defending women's champion Monica Seles was still trying to live down the controversy she sparked last summer.

Seles laughed at a tabloid caricature of herself -- her savagely twisted face on Madonna's body, satin bustier and lace stockings exposed and a racket with a long whip in her hand.

"Oh, God!" she exclaimed, putting her hand to her lips in embarrassment over the sketch that her cartoonist father surely did not draw.

"I would really like it if people could get away from the Madonna (comparison) because that's not me. My personality and everything is so different. I said I liked one of her songs, but that doesn't mean I wanna be her. You know, I'm not gonna behave like her and dress like her."

Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina, the No. 3 women's seed, pleased her loyal following with an easy 6-2, 6-0 victory over outgunned Julie Halard of France.

A key match pitted friends and French Davis Cup-champion teammates Guy Forget and Henri Leconte. Forget, No. 7, won 2-6, 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 6-3.

ETC.: An April 6 trial date has been set for the palimony lawsuit between Martina Navratilova and former companion Judy Nelson, the tennis star's publicist said Monday in Fort Worth, Texas. Nelson, 45, contends in the lawsuit that Navratilova, 34, broke a 1986 "non-marital cohabitation agreement" that said Nelson was to get half the estimated $5 million to $9 million earned during their relationship.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #470

'Madonna' Seles Insists She's not A Nasty Girl After 1st-Round Win
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Tuesday, January 14, 1992
ASSOCIATED PRESS

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Monica Seles laughed at the caricature - her savagely twisted face on Madonna's body, satin bustier and lace stockings.

In it, she carried a racket and a long whip.

''Oh, God!'' she exclaimed, putting her hand to her lips in embarrassment over the tabloid sketch.

''I would really like it if people could get away from the Madonna [comparison] because that's not me,'' Seles said. ''My personality and everything is so different.

''I said I liked one of her songs, but that doesn't mean I want to be her. You know, I'm not going to behave like her and dress like her.''

Seles, barely 18, still skinny and giggly, looked relatively sedate in her orange and white tennis togs as she began defense of her Australian Open title with a 6-2, 6-0 romp Monday over Akiko Kijimuta, a three-time loser in the first-round here.

Abandoning the scarf and brace she wore last week for a neck strain, Seles overcame some rustiness on her serves and relied on her deep, line-hugging groundstrokes to break all Kijimuta's services in a 48-minute breeze.

Seles, who had been learning a bit of serve-and-volley tennis before her injury, dropped her service in the first and seventh games of the first set as she occasionally experimented with forays toward the net.

''I'm not feeling too comfortable with the service because I didn't serve as many balls during the week,'' she said. ''But in future matches, I'm going to go more for the net. I'm feeling much more comfortable there.''

Though she won $2.5 million last year while taking all three Grand Slam events she entered, Seles can't shake the images that have grown around her - the wannabe Madonna, the mystery girl, the calculating conniver.

''Seles has the smile of a child, the charm of a princess and the eye of an assassin,'' one Melbourne newspaper wrote, though in truth the only time Seles casts an evil look is when she's whacking a ball.

Seles took a pummeling in the press at Wimbledon when she dropped out at the last moment without explanation. Stories in the tabloids suggested she might be pregnant; others said she was seeking more money at exhibitions. She later maintained that she was suffering from shin splints, but the damage to her reputation was done and preceded her here even though she returned as a popular defending champion.

''So many people just believed that junk, and even though I was playing great tennis, it just hurt me knowing the kind of accusations people make up,'' she said. ''Even now they're still going on about it.''

She doesn't see herself as the Madonna of tennis, dressing outlandishly or projecting a rebellious, sexy image.

''I have totally different views to her on a lot of things,'' Seles said. ''I like some of her songs, and I do listen to them, but I'm totally different.''

Nor does she see herself as mysterious.

''The only mystery was because I pulled out of Wimbledon, and I didn't come forward with an explanation,'' Seles said. ''But I think a person at age 17, where everything's happened so fast, and then not being able to play Wimbledon, shouldn't be judged mysterious just for that. It wasn't an easy decision or an easy time for me.''
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #471

Edberg, Seles Advance in Australian Open
THE SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE
Wednesday, January 15, 1992
Steve Wilstein, AP

Stefan Edberg's new dictum -- "No strain, no pain'' -- worked just as well for Monica Seles, and those Australian Open top seeds survived 110-degree courtside heat today and glided closer to their second straight Grand Slam titles.

Taking some speed off his serve to save a sore arm, Edberg, the U.S. Open champion, beat 128th-ranked Claudio Mezzadri of Switzerland, 6-1, 6-2, 6-1.

Seles, recovering from neck pain that also limited her serving power, eschewed her recent experiments with a serve-and-volley game and relied on her dominating ground strokes to dispatch Japan's Kimiko Date, 6-2, 7-5.

Seles had a little more trouble against the stubborn, net-charging Date, who fought back from 4-1 in the second set before suffering a break in the 12th game for the match.

Defending champion Boris Becker beat Gianluca Pozzi, 7-5, 7-5, 6-2, to advance to a third-round meeting with John McEnroe, who defeated Russia's Andrei Cherkasov, 7-5, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.

Meanwhile, tests have shown that the skin rash that caused Steffi Graf to withdraw from the tournament and return to Germany on Tuesday is related to a non-specific viral infection that is medically untreatable and requires at least 10 days of rest.

Lars Wahlgren, a Swedish qualifier ranked No. 256, beat 12th-seeded American Derrick Rostagno, 6-1, 7-5, 7-6 (7-3).

Unseeded Patrick McEnroe advanced with a 6-1, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 victory over former Stanford teammate Jeff Tarango. No. 5 seed Ivan Lendl advanced by beating Australia's Roger Rasheed, 6-3, 6-2, 6-3.

The women's No. 4 seed, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, also exuded confidence in a 6-1, 6-1 romp over Sandrine Testud.

Ninth-seeded Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere of Switzerland beat Karina Habsudova of Czechoslovakia, 6-3, 6-3, and No. 13 Leila Meskhi of the republic of Georgia beat American Nicole Arendt, 6-1, 6-2. Former Stanford player Tami Whitlinger defeated Catarina Lindqvist of Sweden, 6-3, 7-6 (7-3).

Sixteenth-seeded Goran Prpic of Yugoslavia, advanced yesterday, with a 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4) victory over American Glenn Layendecker.

Other women's seeds advancing yesterday included No. 6 Jana Novotna, 7-6 (8-6), 6-3 over fellow Czech Radka Zrubakova; seventh-seeded American Mary Joe Fernandez, 6-1, 6-0 over Great Britain's Monique Javer; 11th-seeded American Zina Garrison, 6-2, 6-2 over German Silke Frankl; No. 14 Judith Wiesner of Austria, 6-4, 6-3 over Argentine Cristina Tessi; and No. 15 Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia, 6-3, 6-2 over Veronika Martinek of Germany. Former Stanford player Patty Fendick of Sacramento defeated Sybile Niox-Chateau of France, 6-1, 6-3
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #472

Martinez beats Rehe
USA TODAY
Wednesday, January 15, 1992
RICHARD FINN, Gannett News Service

Eighth-seeded Conchita Martinez ruined Stephanie Rehe's first stadium court appearance at a grand slam tournament with a 6-1, 6-2 second round romp Wednesday at the Australian Open.

"She played too well for me," she said. "I felt I didn't play that badly, but that she played that much better.

"Whatever I did wasn't good enough. I couldn't hurt her with anything. I was always on the defensive. She was hitting her passing shots too well, and I felt I was running all over the place."

It had taken the Oceanside 22-year-old six injury-scarred years to finally play on a stadium court at one of the sport's majors - Australian, French, U.S. Opens or Wimbledon.

"It was real exciting," Rehe said.

It wasn't very long. The match lasted barely at hour - under the lights at the National Tennis Center.

Martinez, who had beaten Rehe in last year's French Open, also in the second round, dominated immediately by winning the first five games.

Deep groundstrokes pinned her behind the baseline and caused errors; passing shots were also on target.

Rehe managed to get on the scoreboard with a backhand volley winner to hold serve at 1-5.

She was able to make the final set a bit more respectable. After going down 0-2, she held serve in the third game and again held serve two games later to make it 2-3. But that was the closest she got.

Though Rehe has had plenty of similar outings - seven first-round and four second-round losses in 1991 - her eagerness still is strong as she attempts to continue the comeback from the major back surgery that sidelined her in 1989 and knocked her out of the top 15.

"I enjoy playing," said Rehe, buried at No. 124 in the world rankings. "Everything I do is for tennis and as long as my body holds up I would like to continue playing."

"And as long as I'm happy doing that, I want to keep doing that, and I see that continuing for awhile."

Rehe is still to play women's doubles here with Brenda Schultz and mixed doubles with Goran Ivanisevic.

She will play in Tokyo and Osaka after the Australian Open.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #473

12 AMERICANS ADVANCE IN AUSTRALIAN OPEN
The Deseret News
Thursday, January 16, 1992

It was a great day for Americans at the windswept Australian Open.

Led by Jim Courier, Jennifer Capriati and Michael Chang, 13 Americans advanced to the third round today. The strong showing meant 20 of the remaining 64 players in the men's and women's draws are Americans.

The strong showing meant nearly one-third of the remaining players in the men's and women's draws are Americans. Many of the others, such as Monica Seles and Ivan Lendl, have lived and trained in the United States for a long time but aren't yet citizens.

A day after the European Community and other countries officially recognized Croatia, a breakaway republic of Yugoslavia, two Croatian seeds were among the victims of the American onslaught.

With strong winds plaguing the National Tennis Center, Aaron Krickstein blew away No. 10 Goran Ivanisevic 6-2, 7-5, 6-1 and MaliVai Washington breezed to a 6-2, 6-4, 6-3 victory over No. 16 Goran Prpic.

Courier, the No. 2 men's seed, dropped the first set against a player with a similar style, hard-hitting Thomas Enqvist, but moved into a higher gear to advance to the third round with a 2-6, 6-3, 6-1, 6-4 victory.

Capriati, having as much trouble with the swirling winds as her opponent, prevailed 6-3, 6-4 over France's Noelle van Lottum. The No. 5 women's seed later iced down a swollen wrist and a sore knee as she watched Courier's match.

No. 7 Mary Joe Fernandez struggled against Germany's Barbara Rittner, needing six match points before she prevailed 6-4, 6-4.

Chang finished off the charge with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory over Italy's Cristiano Caratti that ended after midnight as the remaining fans bundled up in coats and blankets

Other Americans scoring second-round triumphs included No. 11 Zina Garrison, Pam Shriver, Richey Reneberg, Bret Garnett, Amy Frazier, Katrina Adams and Patty Fendick, who beat compatriot Halle Cioffi. The only other Americans to fall were Jim Grabb and Linda Harvey-Wild.

It wasn't such a good day for Australia's Pat Cash, who was fined a tournament record $9,000 for a verbal obscenity against a lineswoman in his five-set loss the night before to 13th-seeded Emilio Sanchez. The assessment meant that after collecting his prize money for a first-round victory, Cash lost $2,185 for competing.

No. 7 Guy Forget, who downed fellow French Davis Cup hero Henri Leconte in the first round, became the highest seed to fall, losing 7-6 (7-5), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 to Sweden's Christian Bergstrom as fans with faces painted like Swedish flags cheered wildly.

The No. 3 women's seed, Gabriela Sabatini, continued to look strong with a 6-1, 6-1 triumph over Patricia Hy. The Argentine star has yet to lose a set since arriving in Australia for last week's New South Wales Open.

Michael Stich of Germany had much more trouble, losing a set to erratic Jonas Svensson and requiring treatment for a numb arm before he advanced 6-4, 6-1, 1-6, 6-4.

Capriati was particularly bothered by the capricious winds, which seemed to blow their worst as she was trying to pound her powerful serve. She suffered a double-fault when a gust carried her toss so far that she barely nicked the ball, which fell at her feet.

"The conditions were tough," she said. "I'm not a wind player. I think it affected my toss a lot."

While Van Lottum didn't seem capable of stinging Capriati, the 15-year-old Floridian praised her speedy French foe, who tracked down a lot of her deep groundstrokes.

"I thought she was a good player, although she didn't have a lot of weapons," said Capriati, making her debut at the Australian Open . "She got a lot of balls back."

Capriati, who has made the semifinals of the other three Grand Slam events, said she feels she's well-prepared to win.

"I'm ready to win a Grand Slam," Capriati said. "I've come close in others. Am I ready to handle the other things? I think so. I don't care if I die from the other stuff. I will learn to handle it."

She quickly got a taste of the "other stuff" when a reporter asked why she had painted her fingernails black.

"I guess it's my own fashion," she said.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #474

SELES PLANNING WEIGHT TRAINING IN EFFORT TO STRENGTHEN GAME
The Miami Herald
AMY NIEDZIELKA

Monica Seles might be the strongest talent in women's tennis today. And the weakest.

The un-muscled, top-ranked Seles aims to strengthen more than her game this year by adding weight training to her schedule.

"It's my next step," she said from the Australian Open in Melbourne. "I have no plan in mind. I just go with the feel."

Seles, who last year won all three Grand Slam events she entered, won't hire a strength coach but does intend to join a health club and train on her own.

"It's about time," ESPN announcer Mary Carillo said. "She spent a lot of last year tired and injured. Everyone around her is much stronger than she is physically. You compare her with everyone else, and she's in the dust."

Additionally, Seles' all-over-the-court style of play and her two-fisted grip make speed, strength and conditioning crucial to her continued success. Not only does Seles have to get to the ball, she also needs the time to set up properly to get off her shot.

"There was a time last year when she was saying, 'I understand about weight training. but I just don't want to build a lot of muscle,' " Carillo said. "She didn't want to look like a jock -- but she is a jock."

Carillo pointed out that Jennifer Capriati, Jana Novotna, Gabriela Sabatini and Martina Navratilova, among other women on the tour, all follow weight-training programs. Former stars Margaret Court and Billie Jean King lifted free weights.

"It's a necessity now," Carillo said. "It's part and parcel of being a professional tennis player."

It's a good time for No. 15 Michael Chang, 19, playing in his first Australian Open , to be moving to the net.

Chang, who reached the finals of the 1991 season-ending Grand Slam Cup and last week's Rio Challenge in Adelaide, has added an aggressive serve-and-volley component to his game.

The change should help Chang advance on the fast Flinders Park Stadium hard courts where he can't expect to use marathon rallies to outslug his opponents as he did in winning the 1990 French Open. In the first round of the Australian Open ,
Chang thrashed Fernando Roese, 6-2, 6-3, 6-0.

No. 12 Zina Garrison was trying to set a precedent for 1992 when she turned down an offer to replace Mary Joe Fernandez in the Hopman Cup two weeks ago -- after Fernandez and David Wheaton had to withdraw because of injuries.

Garrison, who dropped two places in the standings last year after reaching the Wimbledon final in 1990, is determined to get back into the race in 1992. She plans to stick rigidly to her 17-stop tennis schedule and eliminate the amount of exhibition and endorsement appearances she makes.

"She got tested right off the bat with the Hopman Cup," said her agent, Patrick McGee, who declined to reveal the appearance fee Garrison passed up. "In the past, she figured why stay home and work with her coach, work on her footwork in the gym when she could go and play a couple of exhibitions for $50,000 or $60,000."

Defending champion Gabriela Sabatini will compete in the $550,000 Virginia Slims of Florida March 2-8 at The Polo Club in Boca Raton, tournament director Sharon O'Connor said.

Sabatini defeated Steffi Graf in the Slims of Florida finals in 1991 and '88. She defeated Capriati in the 1990 final. Graf also will compete in this year's event, the first Florida stop on the 1992 Kraft Tour.

* Boris Becker, last year's Australian Open champion, said he has finally gotten used to the Melbourne heat and the synthetic Rebound Ace hard courts. "It took several years to finally play good tennis here," Becker said. "I said in 1985 that I could live here but could not play tennis, and with each year, my tennis is getting better."

* Despite the low ratings ESPN got last year with its Australian Open telecast, the network added three hours of Flinders Park matches to go from 15 to 18 total hours for the two-week event. With a .7 rating (.41 million homes) last year, the Australian Open was the lowest of the Grand Slams and the Lipton International Players Championships. The Lipton (ABC) averaged 1.9 (1.77 million), the French Open (NBC) 2.4 (2.2 million), Wimbledon (NBC) 3.1 (2.8 million) and the U.S. Open 4.0 (3.7 million).

* Stefan Edberg and Graf, who pulled out of the Australian Open with a viral infection, have announced that they will compete in the 1992 Lipton championships March 13-22 at the International Tennis Center on Key Biscayne.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #475

Connors-Seles "grunt" match still in the works
USA TODAY
Doug Smith

Jimmy Connors, 39, wants to stage Battle of the Sexes II against Monica Seles, 18, his mother said Wednesday.

"Jimmy's considering it, and there have been talks, but I can't give you a definite answer,'' Gloria Connors said. "He feels the same way Monica feels.''

Seles, No. 1 seed and defending Australian Open champion, expressed excitement Tuesday about the prospects of playing Connors in an exhibition.

"We both grunt, and it would be a very high-level sound match,'' Seles said. "I'd go into it giving my best. He is still playing at a great level; it would be very tough.''

Seles, who won three grand slam events last year, said she wouldn't accept any rules accommodations.

"We would play normally or not at all,'' she said.

Hollywood promoter David Krieff, who proposed a Seles-Connors match in September, is involved in negotiations, said Ray Benton, Connors' agent.

"There's been some outrageous numbers mentioned, so you have to listen,'' Benton said.

Boris Becker's reaction to the whole idea?

"It doesn't interest me. I prefer real matches,'' he said.

Battle of the Sexes I, Billie Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs at the Houston Astrodome in 1973, drew the largest crowd (30,472) ever to watch a tennis match.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #476

CAPRIATI'S LIGHTNING SURGE TO THE TOP
HEATHER SMITH
January 14, 1992
Sydney Morning Herald

MELBOURNE - Surprising as it may seem, Jennifer Capriati has been a competitor on the world tennis tour for only two years.

In that time, however, the all-American kid with the rosy cheeks has managed to win a few tournaments, set records galore and steal headlines from other more established players.

A potted history of Capriati's two years as a pro lists three titles (San Diego, Canadian Open and Puerto Rico), three other finals appearances(Philadelphia, Boca Raton, Hilton Head), semi-finals at Wimbledon, the US Open and the French Open, and the record as the youngest player, at 14 years of age, to be ranked in the top 10.

Now, ranked No 6 in the world and with a couple of years' experience behind her, she has the opportunity to become the youngest winner of the Australian Open.

And she is only 15 years old.

Capriati played her first match at Flinders Park yesterday and comfortably handled both the unfamiliar court surface and the No 96-ranked Natalia Medvedeva, cruising to a 6-2 6-0 victory.

No less was expected of her, of course. The earliest she has gone out of a grand slam event is the fourth round, and at the last two she has made the semi-finals.

Should all go to plan, Capriati will meet the NSW Open title winner Gabriela Sabatini in the quarter-finals and, possibly, Steffi Graf in the semis.

Such has been the improvement in the game and power of Capriati, who is now coached by Graf's old mentor Pavel Slozil, that she may quite easily contest her first grand slam final here on Saturday week.

A victory in the final would make her the youngest winner-Monica Seles is the current title- and record-holder at 17 years and one month. It would also give her opponents much to ponder about as they prepare for the other three grand slams this year.

Naturally, the young righthander is not keen to make rash predictions about her chances in Melbourne.

"I just want to play well and get pretty far, like I have in many of the other grand slams," she said yesterday.

Capriati's only problem-if it can be called that-during her first two years on the tour was her childishness. The "old" Capriati wanted to win a point, a game or a match, on one belted-away winner.

Now the precocious teenager waits for the right moment before hitting her winners.

She still sounds exactly like a teenager at her press conferences, scattering "yeahs", "or somethings" and "you knows" throughout her comments.

Capriati may not have public speaking off pat but she plays with the determination of a steamroller.

She always exudes confidence on the court, and why shouldn't she? She has already won half a million US dollars in prize money, which is only small change compared with her multi-million dollar endorsement contracts.

Perhaps more importantly, Capriati knows she is on her way up. In 1990 she defeated five top-10 players and followed that with victories over the world No 1 (Seles), No 3 (Sabatini), No 4 (Martina Navratilova), No 5 (Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario) and No 7 (Mary Joe Fernandez).

What is left? Plenty, starting with her first grand slam title.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 07:06 PM   #477

Queen of tennis : Seles romps to third win in Aussie Open
The Record
Kitchner, Ontario, Canada
Friday, January 17, 1992
Steve Wilstein, AP

(AP) - Monica Seles's speed-tennis show raced unimpeded into the round of 16 in the Australian Open on Friday.

Seles has spent barely three hours on court and hasn't dropped a set in her first three victories, the latest being 6-1, 6-1 romp in 50 minutes over Yayuk Basuki, the most improved woman player in the world last year in rising from 266 to 35 in the rankings.

Seles, the defending women's champion and top seed, sharpened her baseline game rather than her serve-and-volley attack. The neck muscle she strained last week is fine now, she said, though she's still getting treatment for it.

But she simply didn't need to go to the net against Basuki, who made 42 errors to Seles's 15.

"When I go out for a match, I never try anything tactical," Seles said. "I just go out there and play. I never go into a match with a game plan."

Unsatisfied with merely clobbering her opponents, she worries about eliminating the few mistakes she's been making after a two-month layoff.

"Everybody from now on is a big threat," said Seles, who dropped only 15 points while winning nine straight games. "I tell myself to play a little better. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't."

Seles, 18, seems to be enjoying her status as the undisputed queen of tennis. Not all her male counterparts are so enamored with the limelight, nor are they as much the centre of attention.

Boris Becker, the defending Australian Open men's champion, dons a black wig so he won't be recognized away from the courts. Jim Courier simply doffs his baseball cap.

Fans are backing Courier at the betting booth, cheering for him on the court, but they haven't a clue who he is when he strolls hatless among them. Andre Agassi, popping up on television commercials during nearly every match, is one of the best-known American players, and he's never even played here.

That suits Courier just fine.

"The beauty of it is that people recognize me more with my hat on, so when I go on the street and take my hat off, I'm kind of incognito," said Courier, the second seed, after reaching the third round Thursday with a 2-6, 6-3, 6-1, 6-4 victory over Sweden's Thomas Enqvist.

Courier drew a big crowd at centre court, including fellow American Jennifer Capriati, who watched with ice wrapped around her swollen right wrist and left knee after a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Noelle van Lottum.

Neither of those matches packed the tension expected tonight when Becker faces John McEnroe in a third-round showdown.

Canada's women players enjoyed modest doubles success Thursday as Jill Hetherington and Helen Kelesi advanced with different partners.

Hetherington, of Peterborough and American Kathy Rinaldi, seeded sixth, defeated Czechoslovakians Regina Rajchrtova and Radka Zrubakova 6-4, 6-1, while Kelesi, of Richmond Hill and Nicola Arendt of the U.S. downed Australians Louise Field and Anne Minter, 4-6, 6-1, 6-3.

Patricia Hy of Richmond Hill lost twice. She was trounced by Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina, the third seed, 6-1, 6-1, in the second round of women's singles then, with Toronto's Rene Alter, lost in first-round doubles, 3-6, 6-1, 6-1, to Australians Kristin Goodridge and Nicole Pratt.

Courier was the bettors' second choice Thursday behind Becker, the third seed, to win this first Grand Slam event of the year.

Courier was listed as 5-2 in legal betting, while Becker was favored just slightly more at 9-4. Top-seeded Stefan Edberg, coming back from a two-month layoff because of injuries, was the bettors' third choice at 4-1.

Wimbledon champion Michael Stich, the fourth seed who was rated a mere 10-1 by bettors, struggled against erratic Swede Jonas Svensson before winning 6-4, 6-1, 1-6, 6-4.

American Michael Chang also advanced by beating Cristiano Caratti 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.

Also securing second-round triumphs included seventh-seeded Mary Joe Fernandez, 11th-seeded Zina Garrison, Pam Shriver, Richey Reneberg, Bret Garnett, Amy Frazier, Katrina Adams and Patty Fendick, who beat compatriot Halle Cioffi.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 07:07 PM   #478

SEEDED MEN DROPPING FAST AT AUSTRALIAN OPEN
The Wichita Eagle
Saturday, January 18, 1992

MELBOURNE, Australia Top-seeded Monica Seles showed no signs of a strained neck in a 6-1, 6-1 third-round blitz Friday of Yayuk Basuki in the third round of the Australian Open.

The men's No. 1 seed, Stefan Edberg, rebounded from service breaks early in the first and third sets to oust Australian John Fitzgerald 7-5, 6-1, 6-4 and also advance to the round of 16.

But Patrick McEnroe's luck at this Grand Slam event, where he reached the semifinals last year, ended. Russia's Andrei Chesnokov, in trouble after the first three sets, switched rackets and his luck to win 6-4, 1-6, 1-6, 6-1, 6-3. With No. 3 Boris Becker, the defending champion, ousted by John McEnroe 6-4, 6-3, 7-5, only seven of the 16 men's seeds remained in the draw, compared with 13 women left.

No. 5 Ivan Lendl, a two-time champion, overcame the service blasts of 6-foot-5 German Markus Zoecke and advanced with a 6-4, 6-4, 7-6 (8-6) victory.

David Wheaton, the No. 15 seed and winner of $2 million at the Grand Slam Cup last month, beat Lars Koslowski 6-4, 6-3, 6-3.

Although he has battled several minor injuries and was coughing throughout his postmatch news conference because of a lingering cold, Edberg said he felt fine and was improving each match. A battle against Fitzgerald was just what the doctor ordered.

''It was a good match for me," Edberg said. "He made me work. I feel fresh, but I haven't stretched myself so far. I'm not far off from playing really well."

Patrick McEnroe was upset by his loss to Chesnokov, wondering where he went wrong.

After a nightmarish first set for both players that Chesnokov won because he made fewer mistakes, McEnroe won 12 of 13 games.

Then the Russian switched to a looser-strung racket and started ripping winners as McEnroe became mistake-prone. McEnroe finished with 94 errors, including a double fault at match point.

Common beginnings Seles and Jim Courier spent much of their formative years honing their tennis games at the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Bradenton, Fla. Now, they're both at the top of the tennis world; Seles is the No. 1-ranked woman in the world, and Courier is sitting in the No. 2 position on the men's tour.

''It's funny looking back," said Seles, 18. "Who would have thought where Jim was going to be or myself? I don't think anybody did."

Seles also admitted that Courier didn't want her as a practice partner.

''Looking back on it, I must have been as tall as the net, and Jim, he was very young, also," Seles said of the 21-year-old Courier. "I just went out on the court and tried banging the ball. I didn't like to go out against 6-year-olds who start banging the ball at me, so I understood his position. But it was fun."

Tough question

Stefan Edberg's last words for John Fitzgerald didn't come on the tennis court after their third set encounter, which Edberg won 7-5, 6-1, 6-1.

As Edberg was departing the press facility after doing a television interview, he walked through the general press conference room when Fitzgerald was ready to give his assessment of the match.

Edberg quickly popped into a seat and asked the first question: "Mr. Fitzgerald, how do you rate today's performance?"

''Bad loss, mate," was the 167th-ranked Fitzgerald's reply. Then the Melbourne resident laughingly told Edberg to "go on, get out of here."
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 07:08 PM   #479

FOR SABATINI, SLIMS IS COMING UP ROSES
Sun-Sentinel
Friday, January 17, 1992
JIM SARNI

BOCA RATON -- Reggie Jackson got a candy bar. Gabriela Sabatini is getting a rose.

The Virginia Slims of Florida will honor Sabatini, its defending champion, with a specially commissioned rose.

''The Gabriela Sabatini Rose is our way of recognizing Gabriela for winning three titles,'' said Carrie Cromartie, vice-president of Liddun International, the sports marketing firm that produces the Virginia Slims of Florida. ''She truly embodies the grace and elegance of the sport.''

''This is the first time anyone has named a flower after me, and that makes it special,'' said Sabatini from Melbourne, where she is competing in the Australian Open. ''I love roses, so it's the perfect choice.''

Tournament Director Sharon O'Connor will select the Sabatini Rose from a group of new varieties being grown in Orlando.

''I'll know it when I see it,'' O'Connor said. ''I'm going to pick the most beautiful one, the one that most suits Sabatini. I'm thinking of a deep red rose that has mystique and passion.''

Sabatini, who already has her own signature perfume, is believed to be the first athlete with her own rose. Celebrities with roses named after them include Elizabeth Taylor, Bing Crosby, Betty Ford, Barbara Bush, Dolly Parton, Louis Armstrong and John F. Kennedy.

The Sabatini Rose, which will be unveiled just before the March 2-8 tournament, will be ubiquitous at The Polo Club.

''We'll have hundreds and hundreds of the roses all over,'' O'Connor said. ''On the court, at the main entrance, in the tents.''

The tournament will have a definite floral theme. The VIP Deck, an elite seating section, has been renamed The Rose Garden.

''Roses are appropriate for a Florida event,'' O'Connor said. ''The word 'Florida' means 'abounding in flowers.' ''
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 07:08 PM   #480

Capriati breezes into 4th round
Austin American-Statesman
Saturday, January 18, 1992
Paul Alexander, AP

MELBOURNE, Australia - Jennifer Capriati swept into the fourth round of the Australian Open with her easiest victory yet, overwhelming fellow American Katrina Adams 6-0, 6-0 today.

Making her debut here, the 15-year-old fifth seed played almost flawless tennis against the outgunned Adams and has yet to drop a set in three matches. With the 35-minute outing, Captiati has spent less that three hours on court.

"She made a lot of errors," Capriati said. "She didn't play as well she can. I really didn't have to do that much."

Capriati is on a collision course with No. 2 Gabriela Sabatini, who also won easily, 6-1, 6-0 over Australia's Jenny Byrne. If they win their fourth-round matches, Capriati and Sabatini will slug it out in the quarterfinals.

No. 7 Mary Joe Fernandez, a finalist here two years ago, faltered in the second set of her match against Australia's Rachel McQuillan before prevailing 6-2, 1-6, 6-1. She's the only seed remaining in her quarter of the draw following the withdrawal of No. 2 Steffi Graf and the loss today by No. 15 Helena Sukova to Dominique Monami of Belgium 2-6, 6-4, 6-4.

No. 11 Zina Garrison also advanced by ending Pam Shriver's chances with a 6-4, 6-2 victory.

A grumpy Michael Stich, still struggling to find the form that carried him to the Wimbledon title last year, survived another sub-par outing to advance to the round of 16.

In a center-court performance that sharply contrasted with John McEnroe's artistry the night before against Boris Becker, the fourth-seeded Stich advanced with a 6-0, 2-6, 7-5, 6-2 victory over Martin Jaite.

Unseeded Aaron Krickstein continued his mastery of long matches by coming back from down 2-1 in sets to oust Alexander Volkov 6-4,, 5-7, 6-7 (2-7), 6-1, 8-6 in four hours. Krickstein is 22-6 in five-set matches.

MaliVai Washington, who beat No. 16 Goran Prpic in the second round, fell to Australia's Wally Masur 6-3, 6-3, 6-4.

The top seeds, Monica Seles and Stefan Edberg, scored third-round victories Friday, and neither showed signs of nagging injuries.

Seles said her strained neck felt fine in a 6-1, 6-1 third-round blitz of Yayuk Basuki.

And Edberg, suffering from a lingering cold and coming back from several minor injuries, rebounded from service breaks early in the first and third sets to oust Australian John Fitzgerald 7-5, 6-1, 6-4 and also advance to the round of 16.

But Patrick McEnroe's luck in this Grand Slam event, in which he reached the semifinals last year, ended. Russia's Andrei Chesnokov, in trouble after the first three sets, switched rackets and his luck to win 6-4, 1-6, 1-6, 6-1, 6-3.