AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel. - Page 109 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 19th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #1621
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelina View Post
i wanted so much they both would have met in that 4th round of AO 2006, but Hantuchova captured a huge scalp in her career (which was great for her) beating Serena, but i remember that i wanted Serena to win because she would play Maria next round and i knew that Daniela was not going to beat Maria
I still can't believe Hantuchova beat Serena.
Break My Rapture is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 19th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #1622
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abuttons View Post
My quasi-fiction, half-serious theory about the Maria-Serena history of matches is that the turning point in Serena's favor was when Maria blew two match points in the AO 2005 semifinal.
That would have made three consecutive victories for Maria, all of them in major tournaments and I somehow think it would have left more confidence in Maria that she can seriously challenge Serena any time (who, by the way, did not win another title until.....AO 2007).
It's a pure conjecture, clearly.....
I used to believe that theory as well. At the time, maybe it would have led to a couple of more Maria victories while Serena wasn't in great physical form.

But, at this point, the difference between them isn't a confidence issue at all. It's purely strength. Nobody can possibly expect Maria or the other ladies to withstand that power over 2 or 3 sets. Serena hits the ball TOO FREAKING HARD. And it's relentless point after point. It's really an unfair playing field right now on the WTA and I'm seriously convinced Serena could easily be a top 10 player if she played on the ATP. She serves harder or nearly as hard as the majority of the men's players.

Any WTA player's only hope is a 40-50 UFE fest from Serena because it's the only way matches are competitive. And that US Open final is a prime example. I laugh at commentators who continually point to that match as evidence that Vika is making progress against Serena. If you look at the stats, Azarenka was extremely mediocre. She had several more errors than winners and was on her heels most of the points. The difference was that Serena had one of those matches where she went into a daze and was exploding with errors left and right, donating the second set to Vika and digging a 3rd set hole. That match had NOTHING to do with Vika. Every match is always decided with what Serena is or isn't doing. And unfortunately for everyone else, those error-fest performances that were pretty frequent from Serena are all but gone.

It's child's play. Every time I watch her these days, she looks almost bored because everything is so easy. She's probably only giving 60-70% effort and is still embarrassing everyone.

Barring injury, Serena IS going to win all 4 slams this year. And there's nothing any other player can do about it, no matter how much anyone crunches the numbers and projects who matches up best with her.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #1623
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
I used to believe that theory as well. At the time, maybe it would have led to a couple of more Maria victories while Serena wasn't in great physical form.

But, at this point, the difference between them isn't a confidence issue at all. It's purely strength. Nobody can possibly expect Maria or the other ladies to withstand that power over 2 or 3 sets. Serena hits the ball TOO FREAKING HARD. And it's relentless point after point. It's really an unfair playing field right now on the WTA and I'm seriously convinced Serena could easily be a top 10 player if she played on the ATP. She serves harder or nearly as hard as the majority of the men's players.

Any WTA player's only hope is a 40-50 UFE fest from Serena because it's the only way matches are competitive. And that US Open final is a prime example. I laugh at commentators who continually point to that match as evidence that Vika is making progress against Serena. If you look at the stats, Azarenka was extremely mediocre. She had several more errors than winners and was on her heels most of the points. The difference was that Serena had one of those matches where she went into a daze and was exploding with errors left and right, donating the second set to Vika and digging a 3rd set hole. That match had NOTHING to do with Vika. Every match is always decided with what Serena is or isn't doing. And unfortunately for everyone else, those error-fest performances that were pretty frequent from Serena are all but gone.

It's child's play. Every time I watch her these days, she looks almost bored because everything is so easy. She's probably only giving 60-70% effort and is still embarrassing everyone.

Barring injury, Serena IS going to win all 4 slams this year. And there's nothing any other player can do about it, no matter how much anyone crunches the numbers and projects who matches up best with her.
No, that's not going to happen. I love Serena a lot, but nobody can win 6 Slams in a row, not Graf, Federer, Evert or Navratilova. Serena wont play every match on her highest level throughout the year and someone will eventually beat at a Slam (almost surely at the FO).
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #1624
country flag effedcamel

effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future

Quote:

Serena's game is an aberration in the women's game, but all her outstanding traits are bog-standard for the men's tour.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #1625
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future

Sorry to chime in but with Serena nowadays it's really all about the serve. She's still prone to her inconsistent baseline play occasionally, but that serve has improved so much and remains the backbone of her entire game to fall back on. Much like when Maria used to in 2006
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #1626
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpova View Post
No, that's not going to happen. I love Serena a lot, but nobody can win 6 Slams in a row, not Graf, Federer, Evert or Navratilova. Serena wont play every match on her highest level throughout the year and someone will eventually beat at a Slam (almost surely at the FO).
That's my point though. As great as those past number ones were, they always had rivals that had the talent and ability to compete with them and beat them on any given day, with surface being a huge factor.

But that's not the case with Serena. Nobody is in her universe, let alone neighborhood. The old logic doesn't apply to her. She's rewriting the rules and history of tennis. You want to point to clay as her weakness. Well, Justine Henin isn't walking onto that court anymore. Who's the best clay courter today? Based on last year, you'd have to say Maria is, and do you really think Serena is scared of Maria on clay or any surface? It really says a lot about that state of women's tennis that Maria, of all people, dominated the clay. So if Maria can do that, you can bet Serena is motivated to match that.

I actually think the French is the most likely she'll win because it's been 11 years since she won there and she wants to make up for last year's first round loss. And when Serena wants something, she gets it.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #1627
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Maria has overtaken Vika as the second betting favorite to win 2013 AO:

Serena 2/5
Maria 7/2
Vika 9/2
Aga 10/1
Li 16/1
Kerber 22/1
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #1628
country flag ServeCaspian

ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She did, as did Court and Connolly-Brinker.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #1629
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
Why is everyone bitching in here?
That was my exact reasoning for why I was annoyed they were talking about rena and Vika in this particular thread because it turned into a bitchfest
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #1630

ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices View Post
That was my exact reasoning for why I was annoyed they were talking about rena and Vika in this particular thread because it turned into a bitchfest
This. Really, Maria has 3 more matches to win before she can even face any of them.
Plus, they should only be discussed when their weave has been snatched or they have snatched Maria's.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #1631
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherahpova View Post
She did, as did Court and Connolly-Brinker.
Navratilova never won 6 in a row. Am I missing something? She won 4 in a row at most (she won FO,W,USO in 1984 and AO in 1985, then she lost in FO final).

Last edited by Fighterpova : Jan 19th, 2013 at 05:38 PM.
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #1632
country flag Fighterpova

Quote:
That's my point though. As great as those past number ones were, they always had rivals that had the talent and ability to compete with them and beat them on any given day, with surface being a huge factor.

But that's not the case with Serena. Nobody is in her universe, let alone neighborhood. The old logic doesn't apply to her. She's rewriting the rules and history of tennis. You want to point to clay as her weakness. Well, Justine Henin isn't walking onto that court anymore. Who's the best clay courter today? Based on last year, you'd have to say Maria is, and do you really think Serena is scared of Maria on clay or any surface? It really says a lot about that state of women's tennis that Maria, of all people, dominated the clay. So if Maria can do that, you can bet Serena is motivated to match that.

I actually think the French is the most likely she'll win because it's been 11 years since she won there and she wants to make up for last year's first round loss. And when Serena wants something, she gets it.
Well I see a point, though you are overreacting a bit in some of your posts

However, between 2002/2003 Serena was healthy and in full form. She won 4 in a row and then lost FO SF, but won WImbledon so that was 5/6. Then, her huge problems with injuries began. She melted down in the FO Semi, but was a break up and could have easily made the final where she would beat Clijsters in which case she would win 6 in a row. And she achieved it while she had Venus, Henin, Kim, Davenport, Hingis, Capriati and others

However, my point is that it didn't happen. Something happened and that something was her meltdown at the FO. No matter the weak field and the fact that top players can't challenge her, in the end she is her own worst enemy. She is a brilliant player, but not unbeatable and wont always play her best.

It's similar to Nadal on clay. On paper, he is unbeatable when he plays his best. He rarely suffers any losses, sometimes 0 in a year. However, the point is, he still losses. There is always an off day or an inspired opponent. It's the same with Serena. Nobody is unbeatable.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #1633

The Aus open was held in December in 1983 and 1984 which is why it isn't clear looking at Grand Slam timelines as they list them in their current calendar order.
Martina won in '83 Wimbledon, US Open, AO and then '84 French Open, Wimbledon, US Open.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #1634
country flag Fighterpova

On and I see a lot of you are getting upset that Silver and I brought up Vika/Serena in the thread. I wasn't informed it's 'not allowed'

I thought the AO thread Chris (Cosmic) created was to discuss live matches. As long as I can remember, we always discussed other topics in GS/tournament threads
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #1635

Quote:
On and I see a lot of you are getting upset that Silver and I brought up Vika/Serena in the thread. I wasn't informed it's 'not allowed'

I thought the AO thread Chris (Cosmic) created was to discuss live matches. As long as I can remember, we always discussed other topics in GS/tournament threads
Of course they can be discussed but Maria won't be playing them for a while yet, that's if any of them even make the Final. So there's really no point in 3 pages or so discussing them, especially if it's just going to descend into arguments.