Sara Tomic - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 19th, 2013, 04:18 AM   #46
country flag Vaidisova

Vaidisova has disabled reputation
Re: Sara Tomic

She got her first AO win over Pantuckova 2-6 6-2 6-4
Vaidisova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 19th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #47
country flag Chris93

Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold

Sara
Sharapova ~ Li ~ Kerber ~ Kvitova ~ Kirilenko ~ Ivanovic ~ Stephens ~ Makarova ~ Safarova ~ Cirstea ~ Goerges ~ Cornet ~ Lisicki ~ Robson ~ Watson ~ Kanepi ~ Keys ~ Tsurenko ~ Wozniak ~ Puig ~ Oudin ~ Petkovic ~ Sevastova ~ Rezai

AND OF COURSE ALL THE AUSSIES!!!
Chris93 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #48
country flag Vaidisova

Another Tomic in a hurry
Saturday, 19 January, 2013
By David Packman

Quote:
Ahead of big brother Bernard’s third round blockbuster with Roger Federer at Rod Laver Arena, 14-year-old Sara Tomic took to the courts at Melbourne Park to compete as a wildcard in her second Australian Open junior championships.

The highly-talented teenager, currently ranked junior world No. 217 and considered by those in the know to have as much potential as Bernard, took on Czech Gabriela Pantuckova in front of a raucous crowd on the outside courts.

Her 17-year-old opponent, with three years more experience and ranked over 150 places higher, was unlucky enough to run into Tomic in the early rounds of the lead-up tournament in Traralgon last week, where the young Aussie managed to topple her in a third set tiebreaker during a solid run to the quarterfinals.

As it was last week, Tomic’s powerful game came to the fore once again today, and to a standing ovation from the crowd, she overcame a slow start to wear down her opponent 2-6 6-2 6-4 after two hours and 15 minutes.

In a moment of déjà vu – although she lost last year on the day of Bernard’s fourth round capitulation to Federer – Sara hopes her efforts today are a better omen for her brother this time around.

“This time I’ve won,” she said with a mischievous grin.

Sara Tomic is ambitious and highly motivated, and she doesn’t take her often-stated goal of becoming the best player in the world lightly.

“That’s still the plan. And I’ll get there,” she said.

“I just want to get there so fast. I know I have to try and slow down. I know it’s all about time, dedication, hard work.”

For now, her next major focus is qualifying for the juniors at this year’s Wimbledon.

Those close to Tomic say her upside is in her power. Heading toward six foot (183cm) and possibly more by the time she stops growing, her camp says she will develop an even bigger serve to match those already powerful groundstrokes.

Tomic admitted today she looks up to another powerful player for inspiration.

“I idolise Serena (Williams),” she said. “I just absolutely love her.”

Obviously, balancing her tennis commitments and her education is paramount at such a tender age and in that regard, Tomic seems to understand her priorities well.

“I do distance education. My mum helps me and I have a teacher that comes every semester to see how I’m doing.”

“I’m very good,” she added. “I’m a straight-A student and I love working.”

Hopefully, both for the Tomics and the parochial crowd at Melbourne Park, Sara’s win today can create the momentum required to push Bernard over the line in arguably his greatest ever challenge.

Regardless of the outcome, Sara will be courtside tonight urging her brother on.

With a bit of luck, she’s hoping not to fall asleep during the match either, as she famously did last year.

“I had a 40-degree match that day!” she laughed.

Showing her natural maturity, Tomic revealed that she saw tonight as an opportunity for some valuable tennis education.

“I’m really looking forward to watching [Bernard] play. It’s amazing to watch your brother play one of the best all-time players ever … and learning from it. I’m just so proud of him.”

As far as her own immediate challenge, Tomic now moves through to a Grand Slam second round for the first time, where she faces German fourth seed Antonia Lottner.
http://2013.australianopen.com/en_AU...html?promo=rss
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #49
country flag Vaidisova

Another article:

Anything Bernard can do, I can do … says Sara
January 20, 2013
Emma Quayle

Quote:
IF SARA Tomic is less ambitious than her big brother, she doesn't have much catching up to do. She has big ideas: to become the best player in the world, to win grand slam tournaments, to win more of them than Bernard does. Trouble is, she's still only 14. ''That's still the plan and I'll get there,'' she said. ''I want to get there so fast, but I have to slow down. It takes time, a lot of dedication, hard work.''

She's off to a good start. Tomic made it to the quarter-finals of a tournament in Traralgon last week and yesterday won her first-round juniors match at the Open, dropping the first set but talking herself through it. She was pleased she found a way, that she had believed in herself, but soon afterwards her thoughts had turned to something else: getting up into Bernard's box to watch him play Roger Federer.

Having Bernard for a brother has its benefits. There have been practice sessions with him, which have shown Sara how fit she'll have to get, how many balls she'll have to get back. ''He sometimes hits a bit harder than me, but it should be like that. It's different playing with someone who does not miss, you see what the pro level's like. In juniors they miss, but at pro levels it's way up.'' There have also been plenty of rides in the yellow Ferrari. ''Of course, all the time! He loves it. I say: 'Can you take me to this, take me there?' It's all good.''

Before reintroducing himself to Roger, Bernard had described the talking-to he gave himself at the end of last season, the improved attitude that Sara has seen with her own eyes. Her brother was, she said, a changed man, but one with plenty of work still to do. ''I've seen him change in the last couple of months. It's big. He's really been confident and I'm so proud of him, even if he loses I'm proud. But I'm happy with what he's been doing, he's been working really hard the last nine weeks, and if he believes, he can do anything,'' she said.

''I saw Federer talking and he knows how hard it is to be top-10 because he's one of the world's best players, and it's just interesting how you see someone who's up there saying how tough it is when Bernard's just a little bit under. He just needs to know how really hard it is.''

Tomic will have more work to do herself, in a second-round match against fourth-seeded German Antonia Lottner she hoped to spend a few minutes studying before heading up to centre court. Once her Open is over she plans to play three grade-one junior tournaments for the year - ''and I want to win one of them, or all three, see how I go'' - and play in the junior event at Wimbledon. She studies via distance education, so that she can do enough training, and hasn't struggled for motivation so far.

''My mum helps me here and there and I have a teacher that comes every semester to see how I'm doing,'' she said. ''But I'm very good. I'm a straight A student. I love working.''

Tomic still feels like a kid some of the time, though. ''I idolise Serena Williams,'' she said. ''I just absolutely love her, I just adore her. I saw Venus, and I almost died.''
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tenni...#ixzz2IPkKH1mP
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #50
country flag Dund

Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice

Two Tomic's at the forefront of the mens and womens game could be a very very interesting.

I have no idea if Sara has the same mentality as her brother when it comes to hitting the beat to her own tune (on this evidence she does), but if she does, well it'll be interesting.
Dund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #51
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

*subscribes*
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 04:39 AM   #52
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dund View Post
Two Tomic's at the forefront of the mens and womens game could be a very very interesting.

I have no idea if Sara has the same mentality as her brother when it comes to hitting the beat to her own tune (on this evidence she does), but if she does, well it'll be interesting.
Probably, but more specifically father Tomic hits the beat to his own drum and will no doubt be protective over Sara as well.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 02:19 AM   #53
country flag Vaidisova

She lost 1-6 6-2 3-6 to the 4th seed A. Lottner in R2
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 02:34 AM   #54
country flag jack21

jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold

Not a bad effort. With her results these past few weeks her junior ranking will move up into the top 100.

Really excited to see what she can come up with for the rest of the year.

Jarmila Gajdosova, Ash Barty, Olivia Rogowska, Naiktha Bains

Lucie Safarova, Daniela Hantuchova, Kristina Mladenovic, Sabine Lisicki
jack21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 04:32 AM   #55
country flag Vaidisova

Match pic
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:01 AM   #56
country flag Kəv.

Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute

Sara plays like Tomic Her shots seem so effortless, her movement is the worst thing ever though

Imagine Dragons. Of Monsters and Men. Samantha Jade. Bastille <3

R.I.P Forever Elena Baltacha <3
Kəv. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:44 AM   #57
country flag Dani12

Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine her movement would be good, if she is pushing 6 ft. at 14 then she is going to have some troubles. That's something she'll grow into and when she gets stronger her movement will no doubt get better. If she is pushing top juniors with that down-side then she must have some real talent
Dani12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #58
country flag Vaidisova

Wish there was some footage of her in action because I'm interested in seeing how she plays.

I saw she withdrew from this upcoming week's G3 in New Zealand so not sure where she will play next...
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #59
country flag Vaidisova

Chang LTAT ITF, Thailand, G1

R1: (16)Sara Tomic (AUS) d. Vasilisa Aponasenko (RUS) 64 61
R2: (16)Sara Tomic (AUS) d. En-Pei Huang (TPE) 61 61
R3: (16)Sara Tomic (AUS) d. (4)Hikari Yamamoto (JPN) 64 64
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #60
country flag petey_pan
Aussie Cockatoo

petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaidisova View Post
Chang LTAT ITF, Thailand, G1

R1: (16)Sara Tomic (AUS) d. Vasilisa Aponasenko (RUS) 64 61
R2: (16)Sara Tomic (AUS) d. En-Pei Huang (TPE) 61 61
R3: (16)Sara Tomic (AUS) d. (4)Hikari Yamamoto (JPN) 64 64
Sara keep going!

Maria SHARAPOVA Eugenie BOUCHARD Laura ROBSON Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA Heather WATSON
Casey DELLACQUA Jarmila GAJDOSOVA Taylor TOWNSEND Naomi BROADY Madison KEYS Sam STOSUR
petey_pan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote