Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 166 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 6th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #2476
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

^^yes it is !
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #2477
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Anthropic View Post
Interesting documentary. You can see Angelique Kerber, Andrea Petkovic, Julia Görges

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #2478
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Actually, I may be wrong, but I really think that the one aired on ARD (was the same)but a longer version, no ?
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #2479
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

The documentary is on youtube now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mh47EODi1U
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #2480
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Friends, Grafans, TennisForumers, lend me your ears! As 2013 is the 25th anniversary of the Golden Slam©®™ I would like to do an articles extravaganza to commemorate the "Career in One Year," since I don't want to wait for the 30th anniversary. I can provide some few North American and British articles and some others from various sources, but if someone else has anything interesting from 1988 in any language (it doesn't have to be translated to English) I would be much obliged.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #2481

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

We will recall that when last seen on the WTA Tour in 1987, Steffi had won the year-ending championships and said that she planned to retire at age 28 because, "I'm always running between training and airports, between tournaments to more training, to other engagements... I really want to have time for myself at one point." She also added that if she went on playing after having achieved everything that Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova had done in their long careers, she would feel "nervous." (Or so the translation goes. If anyone can find the original interview in German with SID, it would be nice.)

We now join January 1988, already in progress:

Tennis on the upside Down Under
USA TODAY
Monday, January 11, 1988
Craig Gabriel and Rachel Shuster

MELBOURNE, Australia - Long the weak sister in tennis' grand slam, the Australian Open debuts today in a new facility and with a new surface in hopes of bouncing back to respectability.

Several tennis stories bear watching in 1988 along with the Open, the year's first major tournament:

- Can top-ranked Ivan Lendl, who lost in the semifinals of last year's Open to Australian Pat Cash, achieve one of his remaining goals and capture the Australian, French and U.S. opens and Wimbledon for the grand slam?

- Will any up-and-coming USA men leave a calling card at the Open? And can the top USA male stars, none of whom are playing in Melbourne, recapture any glory?

- Will Steffi Graf, No. 1 among women since last August, dominate the pro tour or will Martina Navratilova reclaim her preeminence?

"It would be nice, for once, to start the year strong," says Lendl, who has won the French and U.S. opens but never the Australian Open or Wimbledon. "We will then see if anything can come out of it. ... Either way, I'm going to be competitive. I want to win the four grand slams in the one (calendar) year. The next best would be to win the four grand slams throughout your career."

The highest ranking USA male in the Australian Open is Paul Annacone, who is seeded No. 31. Says Annacone: "I hope '88 is going to be a turning point for American tennis, and the positive side, not negative, is projected."

Asked about his being the highest ranking male at Melbourne, Annacone says: "Actually, it's kind of strange. A lot of Americans find it hard to come down here, it's such a long way. Although it's a grand slam and it's exciting with the new facility, overall opinion is it's too far to come for one tournament.

"Financially, it's also a bind. I would have to do really well, what with 29 percent taxes, $2,000 for air fare and $2,000 for hotels. A lot of the players like to skip it and work for the American indoor circuit."

John McEnroe is not playing the Open this year because of a back problem, and Jimmy Connors, 35, is cutting his schedule.

That a sneak peek at some of the answers for Lendl and others will come during the Australian Open is only part of the renewed vitality of this two-week tournament.

Foremost is the change in scenery from the private club in Kooyong, a Melbourne suburb, to the public facility downtown. Of particular interest is the $50 million stadium, with a retractable roof, and the switch from grass courts to something comparable to the surface at the U.S. Open.

The new facility - with 13 outdoor and five indoor courts - is close to the Melbourne Cricket Ground, site of the 1956 Summer Olympics. Center court has seating for 15,000, and the two show courts can hold 3,000 and 6,000 fans.

"We've had so many changes with the Australian Open, and nothing's seemed to work in the past," says Pam Shriver. "First it was in November, then January. Then the women played separately from the men, and then we were combined. It's been the most inconsistent tournament in that regard. ... We will just have to see how the new Australian Open goes."

But Brian Tobin, president of the Australian Tennis Federation, says the Open "is back on a level that a grand-slam tournament deserves. Everyone is talking about the new stadium. The public will appreciate the easy access. And the players will appreciate the designs for their comfort. They can drive right in, play and then leave.

"There is a certain atmosphere at Wimbledon and Roland Garros (home of the French Open in Paris), and Flushing Meadow (the U.S. Open in New York) was quick to establish its own atmosphere. And so it will be here."

Also pleasing to most players is the switch from grass courts, a fast surface where the ball bounces low and irregularly. That favors the serve-and-volley players, such as Navratilova, Cash and two-time defending champion Stefan Edberg of Sweden.

But because so few tournaments remain on grass, such as Wimbledon, the majority of players don't practice enough on that surface and prefer not to play on it. And the name of the game in pro tennis is attracting as many star players as possible. Thus, the switch to the "Rebound Ace" surface, composed of ground tires and supposedly less stressful to a player's body.

Edberg is one of a handful of players capable of challenging for the No. 1 ranking if Lendl can't maintain his extraordinary level of self-motivation.

Lendl thinks he can: "Why get satisfied with 75 percent when you can achieve 100 percent. ... I think I have a chance to win everything. If I didn't, I wouldn't play anywhere."

Lendl looks to Edberg, Mats Wilander, Henri Leconte and Cash as his prime challengers at the Australian Open.

Wimbledon champion Cash is the man in Australia, much as Graf and Boris Becker are megastars in West Germany. Cash's rise into the top-10 rankings has revived the country's tennis interest, slumping since the days of Rod Laver, John Newcombe and Evonne Goolagong Cawley.

Cash is determined to keep it going, even if the new surface is not his favorite. "Obviously, I lose the slight experience edge from the grass courts," he says.

If the seeded players win their matches as expected, Lendl and Cash will meet again in the semifinals.

Another distraction could be an expected anti-apartheid demonstration aimed at Cash and others who played in the recent South African Open.

"I'm going to be concentrating so hard I probably won't even notice the demonstrators," Cash says.

Graf, on the women's side, is beginning to play with supreme confidence. She seems more comfortable about being No. 1: "But there is not much between 1, 2 and 3." Or even possibly No. 5, defending champion Hana Mandlikova, if she's on her game.

Cliff Drysdale, analyst when ESPN covers the Open semifinals and finals, expects the women's competition to be more interesting than the men's. "There are not enough challengers to Lendl," he says. "But on the women's side, you've got the handing of the baton from Martina over to Steffi and Gabriela (Sabatini), and whether they're for real."

Navratilova, who is not talking to reporters before the Open, could be competitive "another couple of years," says Drysdale. "But it will take a monumental effort. Eventually, she might suffer the same fate as McEnroe and (Bjorn) Borg, wondering why she needs to do this. But I think she continues to be motivated."

Also motivated, for one last year, is Chris Evert, coming off a six-week break that included thoughts of retirement.

"I had a lot of doubts and I've given it a lot of thought," Evert says, "but I'm committed to 11 tournaments and all the grand-slam events. I don't have that much time left in tennis, so I'll give it 100 percent for the time I do have left."
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #2482

No. 1-seeded Graf scores easy victory
Houston Chronicle
Tuesday, JANUARY 12, 1988
Associated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia - Top-seeded Steffi Graf and defending champion Hana Mandlikova both scored rapid victories today to advance to the second round of the women's singles of the $1.9 million Australian Open tennis championships.

Graf recorded a 6-3, 6-1 Center Court triumph over Amy Jonsson of Norway, who is ranked 176th in world.

Mandlikova, a native of Czechoslovakia who took out Australian citizenship three weeks ago, romped past former French Open champion Mima Jausovec of Yugoslavia 6-4, 6-1 on an outside court.

Other seeds advancing in the women's singles today included No. 6 Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia, who defeated American Jamie Golder 6-2, 6-2, and No. 9 Lori McNeil of Houston, who stopped fellow American Dee Ann Hansel 6-2, 6-1.

But Heather Ludloff of Foster City, Calif., surprised 16th-seeded Elizabeth Smylie of Australia 6-1, 6-3.

In women's singles play, second seeded Martina Navratilova trounced Australian Elizabeth Minter 6-3, 6-0.

Other women to advance included third-seeded Chris Evert, No. 7 Zina Garrison of Houston, No. 10 Barbara Potter and No. 11 Sylvia Hanika of West Germany.

Graf, 18, said she was feeling no pressure going into the first Grand Slam event of the year defending her world No. 1 ranking.

"You get used to being No. 1 fairly quickly," she said.

Graf said she had been determined not to underestimate the little-known Jonsson.

"I take every match very seriously. Today wasn't easy. She was left-handed and her serve gave me some problems," the West German said.

Graf dominated Jonsson with some blistering ground strokes, particularly on the forehand.

The match was interrupted by rain at 2-0 in the second set, but resumed after a delay of 15 minutes.

Graf criticized the newly introduced South Korean-made Nassau balls, which she said were "heavy."

The fifth-seeded Mandlikova, playing her first major event as an Australian, was watched by only a handful of fans on an outside court.

"Don't ask me how it feels to be playing as an Australian. Ask me after I've played my next match," she said.

In men's singles action today, No. 7 Henri Leconte of France, No. 14 Jonas B. Svensson of Sweden and No. 16 Wally Masur of Australia all advanced.

Temperatures approached 100 degrees early in the day, but clouds cooled the temperature and it rained briefly midway through the afternoon.

Leconte defeated Australian Peter Carter 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4; Svensson crushed Bruce Derlin of New Zealand 6-0, 6-1, 6-0; while Masur beat Thomas Hogstedt of Sweden 6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1.

Americans Derrick Rostagno, Todd Witsken and Sammy Giammalva of Houston also advanced. Giammalva downed compatriot Tim Wilkison 6-2, 6-4, 6-4, while Rostagno ousted South African Gary Muller 6-4, 7-6, 7-5 and Witsken rallied to beat Japanese qualifier Shuzo Matsuoka 5-7, 7-5, 6-3, 6-2.

Australian Brod Dyke upset ninth-seeded Jakob Hlasek of Switzerland 6-3, 6-3, 6-4.

"It's always good to beat a seed, but the hot weather favored me because my fitness became a factor," Dyke said.

Dyke is ranked 103rd in the world to Hlasek's 24th.

Among Monday's winners in the men's singles were top-seeded Ivan Lendl and Wimbledon champion Pat Cash.
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #2483

Australian Open : Edberg Rallies for Victory in 100-Degree Heat
January 13, 1988
From Los Angeles Times Wire Services

Sweden's Stefan Edberg and Mats Wilander moved into the second round of the $1.9-million Australian Open amid controversy over the venue's new retractable roof Tuesday.

Edberg, the world's No. 2-ranked player and Australian Open champion in 1985 and 1987, lost the opening set against Marty Davis but rebounded in 100-degree heat for a 4-6, 6-2, 6-2, 7-5 victory at Melbourne.

It took Wilander, No. 3 in the world and Australian Open champion in 1983 and 1984, time to get his footing before beating 80th-ranked Richey Reneberg, 7-6, 6-1, 6-3.

Top-seeded Steffi Graf was an easy winner.

Graf, the top women's player who is competing in her first Australian Open in three years, beat Norway's Amy Jonsson, 6-3, 6-1, and fifth-seeded Hana Mandlikova, the defending women's champion, defeated Yugoslavia's Mima Jausovec, 6-4, 6-1.

For the first time in the history of Grand Slam tennis, some of the night matches were played indoors. A light rain began to fall and officials ordered the closure of the retractable 700-ton roof of the new $50 million Flinders Park Stadium.

The other Grand Slam tournaments--Wimbledon and the U.S. and French opens--are played only outdoors.

Wilander, after his match, criticized officials for using the sliding roof in the light rain.

"I don't think it's fair," he said. "It makes two tournaments in one. I think Grand Slams should be staged outdoors. They should only use the roof for emergencies."

Edberg needed 2 hours 11 minutes to oust the 99th-ranked Davis, who frustrated Edberg in the first set by attacking the defending champion's first service. A string of unforced errors then allowed Edberg into the match.

A light drizzle stopped play in the Graf-Jonsson match with Graf leading, 2-0, in the second set. Jonsson upset Graf's rhythm early by attacking her forehand. The move surprised Graf, who then added power to her shots.

"She was tougher than I thought," Graf said. "She has a strange service. I was happy with my game, but I need more matches."

The match was Graf's first in the Australian Open since 1984, when she was ousted in the third round.

"I was 15 in 1984, and three years is a long time at that age," Graf said. "I think I have improved since then."

Mandlikova showed a strong touch against Jausovec. After the match, Mandlikova, who became a naturalized Australian 10 days ago, refused to answer questions on whether she would play for Czechoslovakia in the Seoul Olympics.

Fourth-seeded Shriver, sixth-seeded Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia and ninth-seeded Lori McNeil also advanced in women's singles.

Shriver eliminated West Germany's Eva Pfaff, 6-1, 6-3; Sukova beat Jamie Golder, 6-2, 6-2, and McNeil defeated DeeAnn Hansel, 6-2, 6-1.

Heather Ludloff of Foster City, Calif., turned in the only women's upset with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over 16th-seeded Liz Smylie of Australia.

Three men's seeded players were beaten. Andrei Chesnokov of the Soviet Union upset 10th-seeded Amos Mansdorf of Israel, 6-3, 4-6, 7-5, 6-2; Brod Dyke of Australia defeated ninth-seeded Jakob Hlasek of Czechoslovakia, 6-3, 6-3, 6-4, and Jeremy Bates of Britain ousted 15th-seeded Kelly Evernden of New Zealand, 7-5, 5-7, 6-1, 6-7, 6-3.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #2484

Graf wins in Australia Open - McNeil also advances with victory over Dutch opponent
Houston Chronicle
Thursday, JANUARY 14, 1988
Associated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia - When Steffi Graf is on the attack the kill doesn't take very long as her prey in the $1.9-million Australian Open tennis tournament learned today.

"Steffi hits the ball as hard as anyone I've ever played," Australian Janine Thompson said after the 18-year-old West German crushed her 6-0, 6-1 in just 40 minutes in their second-round match.

Graf, who faces a third-round meeting with American Cammy MacGregor, said she felt she was approaching top form.

"I was concentrating well, returning well and making the right choices," Graf said. "I didn't make too many mistakes out there."

Thompson, a left-hander ranked 105th in the world, said she "was never in a position to control the match."

"Steffi never lets up, never gives you a break," Thompson said. "She just played amazingly."

Graf said she had no explanation for her awesome power.

"I don't work on it," she said. "I guess it is just natural."

Both defending champion Stefan Edberg and former titleholder Mats Wilander powered into the third round with victories at the National Tennis Center.

Edberg, aiming for his third successive title, trounced West German Alexander Mronz 6-4, 6-3, 6-1, while third-seeded Wilander, the winner in 1983 and 1984, whipped Australian Simon Youl 6-4, 6-2, 6-4.

Another Swede, sixth-seeded Anders Jarryd, and No. 8 Slobodan Zivojinovic of Yugoslavia also moved into the round of 32 in the first Grand Slam event of the season, but Swede Peter Lundgren, seeded 11th, was ousted.

Jarryd won 6-4, 7-6, 6-4 over Gian Luca Pozzi of Italy and Zivojinovic beat Steve Shaw of Great Britain 6-4, 6-4, 6-7, 6-3.

Australian John Frawley, climbing back up the world rankings after being sidelined with a fractured wrist, trounced Lundgren 6-1, 6-3, 6-3 in the only upset of the day among the men.

Graf was joined in the third round by fourth-seeded American Pam Shriver, defending champion and fifth-seeded Hana Mandlikova, eighth-seeded West German Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, ninth-seeded American Lori McNeil and 13th-seeded Swede Catarina Lindqvist.

Shriver won the last nine games in defeating South African-born Ros Fairbank 7-5, 6-0; Mandlikova tounced Hellas Ter Riet of The Netheralnds 6-1, 6-1 in 55 minutes and Kohde-Kilsch ousted Australian Jo-Anne Faull 6-2, 6-4.

Lindqvist breezed by American Ann Henricksson 6-2, 6-2, while McNeil ousted Dutch player Manon Bollegraf 6-4, 6-0.

Catherine Tanvier of France beat Jo Durie of Britain 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 to earn a meeting with Czech-born Mandlikova, who took out Australian citizenship earlier in the month.

Durie's loss left Britain without a player in the last 32 of the men's or women's singles.

Shriver will play Nicole Jagerman of The Netherlands in her round of 32 match. No. 2 Martina Navratilova and No. 3 Chris Evert were inactive today. Navratilova faces Akiko Kijimuta of Japan in the third round while Evert opposes two-time NCAA champion Patty Fendick of San Francisco.

Men's top seed Ivan Lendl also had the day off. He faces Australian left-hander Mark Woodforde on Friday.

Edberg, who plays American Dan Goldie in his third-round match, never was troubled against Mronz, ranked 195th in the world.

Edberg had too much power and control for his opponent.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #2485

I have always wondered whether Steffi really believed some of these matches would be "more difficult" or whether she was just being diplomatic.

EDBERG TO MEET JUNIOR IN ROUND OF 16
Sun-Sentinel
Sunday, January 17, 1988
The Associated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Sweden's Stefan Edberg, the defending champion, faces a David and Goliath battle with Australian junior Jason Stoltenberg in the Australian Open tennis championships after advancing to the fourth round Saturday.

Edberg, the No. 2 seed, defeated Dan Goldie to join compatriots Mats Wilander and Anders Jarryd in the Round of 16.

Edberg, bidding for his third consecutive victory in the Grand Slam event, Monday will meet 17-year-old Stoltenberg, the son of a cotton farmer from the outback of New South Wales, who is ranked 330th in the world.

Stoltenberg, the world's No. 1 junior last year, would be an awkward opponent, Edberg said.

"You never really know what's going to happen in a match like that because he has nothing to lose. It's nice when you're young and playing in front of your home crowd because everyone gets behind you."

Edberg struggled during the third set before defeating Goldie, a former NCAA champion from McLean, Va., 6-4, 7-5, 2-6, 6-3.

Wilander eliminated Magnus Gustafsson 6-1, 6-4, 6-1, while Jarryd downed Paul Chamberlin 7-5, 6-1, 6-2.

The only seeded player to lose Saturday was Slobodan Zivojinovic, the eighth seed, who was upset 6-4, 7-5, 2-6, 1-6, 6-3 by left-hander Carl-Uwe Steeb.

Edberg, one of four Swedes remaining in the Round of 16, said he felt better Saturday than in other matches he played.

"But I'm still going to have to play better to win the tournament," he said. "Ivan Lendl, Pat Cash and Mats Wilander are all playing good. I'm not playing that good."

Wilander breezed against Gustafsson.

The No. 3 seed and two-time titlist next meets unseeded Christian Saceanu of West Germany, while Jarryd plays Australian John Frawley in the fourth round.

Frawley, a talented player in the process of lifting his ranking following a severe wrist injury, beat Jim Grabb in a five-set marathon 6-3, 6-2, 6-7 (4-7) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4.

In the women's singles, top seed and world No. 1 Steffi Graf continued her quest for her second Grand Slam title with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Cammy MacGregor in only 49 minutes.

Graf will now meet 13th-seeded Catarina Lindqvist, a match she predicts will be her toughest yet.

"I know she is going to be difficult, much more difficult," said Graf, the French Open champion. "I know I have to be more prepared."

Lindqvist, a semifinalist in Australia last year, scored a 6-1, 6-4 victory over her doubles partner, Robin White.

Defending champion Hana Mandlikova beat Catherine Tanvier 6-4, 6-3.

Fourth seed Pam Shriver and No. 9 seed Lori McNeil also won Saturday, along with Czech teen-ager Radka Zrubakova, eighth seeded Claudia Kohde-Kilsch and Anne Minter.

Shriver defeated Nicole Jagerman 6-3, 6-3 and next meets Carol Christian.

McNeil, from Houston, rolled past Jenny Byrne 6-4, 6-2.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #2486
country flag kati830728

kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice kati830728 is just really nice

https://www.facebook.com/martiagassijewelry?v=wall

look there is a photo from the whole agassi family on christmas 2012
kati830728 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #2487

Going into the match, Lindqvist said she doesn't fear facing Graf and would not be concentrating solely on avoiding Graf's forehand. "I don't think it's right to go and avoid her forehand all the time because she's got a good backhand, too," she said. "I'll just have to go in and play my own game."

Graf eases by Lindqvist; McNeil beaten
Houston Chronicle
Monday, JANUARY 18, 1988
Associated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia - Steffi Graf took only 55 minutes today to crush Catarina Lindqvist of Sweden 6-0, 7-5 and advance to the quarterfinals of the $1.9 million Australian Open Tennis Championships.

Earlier, defending champion Stefan Edberg scored an unconvincing 6-3, 6-3, 6-4 win over Australian teen-ager Jason Stoltenberg to advance to the men's quarterfinals. Also posting fourth-round victories were third-seeded Mats Wilander of Sweden and Andrei Chesnokov of the Soviet Union.

In women's play, Australia's Anne Minter upset fourth-seeded Pam Shriver, Mandlikova defeated No. 9 Lori McNeil of Houston and West Germany's Claudia Kohde-Kilsch downed Radka Zrubakova of Czechoslovakia.

Graf played almost flawless tennis in the first set, roaring through it in just 16 minutes. Lindqvist put up sterner resistance in the second set, but rarely looked comfortable.

The 18-year-old Graf, bidding for her first Australian Open title, now will play Mandlikova in the quarterfinals. The West German outdueled the 13th-seeded Lindqvist from the baseline, hitting a succession of forehand winners.

Graf has dropped only 13 games in her first four matches in the tournament.

Edberg, 21, aiming to win the men's singles for the third straight time, never approached his peak form during his one-hour, 36-minute match with Stoltenberg. The powerful Swede frequently found himself extended by Stoltenberg, a 17-year-old ranked just 330th in the world.

But Edberg had enough variety of shots to beat his opponent, who is the world's No. 1 junior.

``I had problems with my concentration today,'' Edberg admitted. ``The kid played very well. He got a lot of balls back.''

Edberg, the No. 2 seed, will face Chesnokov in the quarterfinals.

A French Open quarterfinalist in 1986, the 21-year-old Chesnokov reached the quarters by defeating West German Carl-Uwe Steeb 6-1, 6-4, 6-2. ``I'm good at fast-court tennis,'' Chesnokov said. ``I'm pleased with my form. I've got good touch at the moment.''

Wilander, twice the Australian Open winner, scored an impressive 6-2, 6-4, 6-3 triumph over Christian Saceanu of West Germany. He will face the winner of the day's final fourth-round match between sixth-seeded Anders Jarryd of Sweden or Australian John Frawley.

The other quarterfinals will pit top-seeded Ivan Lendl against Todd Witsken, the lone American survivor in the men's singles, and Wimbledon champion Pat Cash of Australia against Michiel Schapers of The Netherlands.

Minter, 24, ranked 38th in the world, took just 61 minutes to down Shriver 6-2, 6-4, who had won warm-up tournaments in Brisbane and Sydney going into the first Grand Slam event of the year.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #2488

Tennis: Minter Brings Shriver's run to an end
The Times
London, England
Tuesday, January 19, 1988
From REX BELLAMY, Tennis Correspondent

MELBOURNE - Pam Shriver, who had won 13 consecutive singles matches, was beaten 6-2, 6-4 by Anne Minter, of Melbourne, in the Australian championships yesterday. During the press conferences Minter received an award - nothing to do with yesterday's win - and Shriver's popularity was diminished.

Australia's tennis writers gave Minter an elegant scroll in recognition of her performances, her sportsmanship and her cooperation with the media. Shriver talked at length about the strained groin muscle that has recently inhibited her freedom of movement.

She gave Minter credit for taking advantage of that but, even so, was guilty of 'whingeing' which is almost a cardinal sun among the 'Oz' sporting community. Shriver was frank and reasonable, as usual, but was unwise - in Australia of all places - to say anything depreciating her opponent's achievement.

Minter summed up the Australian attitude with the terse, unvarnished comment: 'If she's out there playing, she's fit.' We could debate this delicate subject for hours. My own view is that the Australians are right. No excuses. No whinging.

Shriver, who led 4-2 in the second set, had a low percentage with first services and did not even break even when she went to the net. Minter was accurate on both flanks, varied her game sensibly, and tested Shriver's agility beyond its capacity. Minter played a neatly composed match. Incidentally, she also makes all the right noises with the flute and piano.

Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, sho is prone to self-doubt, was twice thus afflicted before beating a sturdy Czechoslovak, Radka Zrubakova, aged 17. Steffi Graf lost only 11 points in taking the first eight games from Catrina Lindqvist. In the first set Lindqvist was on target with only 29 per cent of her first services and had no sort of timing.

The result was 6-0, 7-5 because Lindqvist played an admirable second set. Later she said of Graf: 'Everything is so fast. Other players take their time more. She hits the ball early, nobody else hits it so hard, and her ground strokes are so solid.'

Hana Mandlikova, who beat Lori McNeil, is the reigning champion and recently became an Australian citizen. She has a family in Czechoslovakia, a home in Sydney, represents a club in Queensland, and has a 42ft yacht in the Netherlands ('I go on my boat if I want to be alone'). She must be very restless.

The women's quarter-finals will be Graf v Mandlikova, Minter v Koohde-Kilsch, Claudia Porwik v Chris Evert, Helena Sukova v Martin Navratilova. Graf, Kohde-Kilsch and Porwik all represent Germany, holders of the world team championship.

Similarly, the men's team championships, Sweden have three players left: Stefan Edberg (the holder), Mats Wilander (his predecessor as champion here), and Anders Jarryd. The pairings are Ivan Lendl v Todd Witsken, Pat Cash v Michael Schapers, Jarryd v Wilander, and Andrei Chesnokov v Edberg.

Jarryd had a strenuous, anxious exchange of ground strokes yesterday with the nimble and unflinchingly tough John Frawley, whose brother, Rod, reached the Wimbledon semi-finals in 1981.

The rugged-looking Frawley could be pictured in the boxing ring or the front row of a scrum. Jarryd took four hours and eight minutes to beat him 3-6, 6-1, 6-7, 7-6, 6-2. The more experienced Jarryd just had the edge in physical and mental resilience.

Chesnokov, a Russian, is the first Soviet citizen to advance to the last eight since Alex Metraveli, a Georgian, who reached the 1972 semi-finals and a 1973 and 1975 quarter-finals.

In the doubles Andrew Castle, of Britain, and the Argentine-born Roberto Saad, who first got to know each other at Wichita State University, saved nine match points before beating David Lewis (New Zealand), brother of the 1983 Wimbledon runner-up, and Ivo Werner of Germany.

That put Castle and Saad in the quarter-finals, which feature a potentially blood-curdling match between Jeremy Bates (Britain) and Peter Lundgren and Kelly Evernden and Johan Kriek.

Last week Bates beat Everden in singles and accused him of being arrogant, where-upon Evernden suggested that Bates was a wimp (which is not listed in my travelling dictionary)

What fun they should have together. I do hope that Lundgren and Kriek keep out of the way - and that nothing incurable happens to Bates and Evernden.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #2489
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

New Q/A post by Steffi on her website.

http://steffi-graf.net/question-and-answers-jan-2013/
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #2490

Going into the match Steffi said, "I always have tough matches with Hana, close matches."

NAVRATILOVA, EVERT TO MEET FOR 76TH TIME
Lexington Herald-Leader
Wednesday, January 20, 1988
Associated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert will meet for the 76th time in a singles match when they play in the semifinals of the Australian Open.

The two close friends and longtime rivals will have plenty of time to get ready because their match is not scheduled until Thursday.

Navratilova holds a 40-35 record in head-to-head clashes.

Evert reached the semis yesterday with another easy victory, this time a 6-3, 6-1 romp over 19-year-old West German Claudia Porwik. Navratilova had a somewhat tougher time, overcoming a brief second-set setback to defeat sixth- seeded Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia 6-4, 7-6.

The two remaining men's singles quarterfinals were played today -- the only singles action on the quietest day of the tournament, which continues through Sunday.

Defending champion Stefan Edberg of Sweden met Andrei Chesnokov of the Soviet Union in one match, with Swedes Mats Wilander, a two-time Australian champion, and Andres Jarryd playing in the other.

In the men's semifinals on Friday, top-seeded Ivan Lendl will play Australian Pat Cash, who beat Lendl in the Wimbledon final. Neither has lost a set in the tournament.

Cash, who demolished Dutchman Michiel Schapers 6-1, 6-4, 6-2 in the quarterfinals yesterday, refused to make comparisons between Friday's semifinal and the Wimbledon finals.

"Everything is different, the crowd, the court, everything," he said.

Cash also was impressive yesterday and said he was more relaxed playing in front of his hometown crowd.

"I have a court in my backyard at home so I can go and practice. I just do what I want in my spare time -- play guitar or whatever."

The winner of the Navratilova-Evert match will face the winner of the other semifinal between West Germans Steffi Graf and Claudia Kohde-Kilsch.

Graf enhanced her already fearsome reputation as the player to beat when she crushed defending champion Hana Mandlikova of Czechoslovakia 6-2, 6-2 in just 53 minutes yesterday.

Graf, ranked No. 1 in the world, poured on the power to brush past Mandlikova with a performance that left the fifth seed reeling.

Graf was simply awesome against two-time champion Mandlikova, never allowing the more experienced player to get into a groove.

Mandlikova barely won a point with her usually effective ground strokes.

"I thought tonight would be a tough match, but I started well and she didn't play as well as she could," Graf said. "I felt very into the match. I was eager not to give up any unforced errors."

Kohde-Kilsch overcame a painful recurring injury to her right foot to move into the semifinals for the third successive year when she defeated Anne Minter of Australia 6-2, 6-4.

"There is nobody who hits the ball as hard as she does -- that's definite," Mandlikova said of Graf. "It took me a while to get used to the hard hitting. If she hits it any harder I don't know what we'll do."

Mandlikova said Graf does not give her opponents the opportunity to beat her.

"She just doesn't give you too many chances. She doesn't make any unforced errors and if she gives you one or two you have to take them. I'm not saying that if I took those chances I would win, but the score would have been different."

Mandlikova said Graf, who is only 18, was still a relative newcomer to the circuit and the players hadn't yet worked out her game.

"It's going to take longer to really read how she plays. It was the same with me," she said.

Graf, asked where she developed her killer instinct, responded: "I'm not murdering anybody. I just like hitting the ball hard. If that's a killer instinct, then watch out."