SHOCKING: Cyclist Saga Soon Coming To an End - Lance Amstrong To Admit To DOPING - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #61
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SHOCKING: Cyclist Saga Soon Coming To an End - Lance Amstrong To Admit To DOPING

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeucesAreWild View Post
So because it "can be" we are to assume what? Everyone is guilty until proven otherwise? Or even then not so because as with Andre things can be covered up for superstars? I understand what you are saying, I just dislike the territory it can be leading into. Shoot first and ask questions later.

Right. Like those idiot sports writers who didn't put anybody into the baseball Hall of Fame this year. But then again what can you say about a group of people where some of them actually voted against Willie Mays?

"Oh it's Tommy this and Tommy that and chuck him out, the brute.
But it's savior of his country when the guns begin to shoot."
Rudyard Kipling
HippityHop is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #62
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SHOCKING: Cyclist Saga Soon Coming To an End - Lance Amstrong To Admit To DOPING

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Where would you have preferred that he get interviewed?
Confrontattion is not necessarily a good avenue for this.
The man is admiting to doping, the only big question remaining to ask is why he did what did, betraying the confidence of so many friends, families, charitable organization, and letting down the country and US cycling he professes to represent.
As I wrote in another post, if anyone wants to see a public flogging or prosecution or humiliation, then don't watch Oprah.
That is not her style

I wish there some avenue for the federal goverment investigate and take some punitive action, but I doubt the US goverment can has any juridiction.
But again I could be wrong.

USA Cycling could administer more punishment in addtition to the measures the international cyclcing body already took.
If he had won national titles during that time period, he should be stripped of the titles.
If any awards was named after his name sake, it should be rescinded.

The sponsors have already derserted him.
To give a chance to charity ,Live Strong, to survive, he has resigned from ti, but I doubt it will continue.
My guess is it will fades and die as the fund rasing slowly dries up without his strong personality.

For good or bad, now for bad, he was really a one man powerhouse. Charming potential sponsors, intimadating potential enemies.
I must say that if people stop giving to a charity that has helped so many cancer patients because of Lance Armstrong, then there is hole in those people where their souls should be.

"Oh it's Tommy this and Tommy that and chuck him out, the brute.
But it's savior of his country when the guns begin to shoot."
Rudyard Kipling
HippityHop is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #63
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
Right. Like those idiot sports writers who didn't put anybody into the baseball Hall of Fame this year. But then again what can you say about a group of people where some of them actually voted against Willie Mays?
Journalists in general, and sport writers in particular, value access to their source more than anyone else.
Lance Armstrong, the most famous cyclist in the USA, with connections in high places, knew this more than anyone else in sports.
He used it to his advange with resporters.

He also exudes that confidence of both a street brawler and charming cosmopolito-renaisance man with influence, who could mess up your career (or physiscally harm you) by pulling some string if you cross him.

In his interviews, he was usually defiant and confrontational to any challenging him, but doing it in a methodical, deliberate way.

He had a way to project rectitude, believable outrage, turning challengers to bad guys, out to smear a chariatble, cancer-survivor, generous with children causes cause man.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #64
country flag chuvack

chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ys View Post
Tennis should not be much of a concern dope wise. You can't dope your brain. It's not a cattle sport, like cycling is or x-country skiing for that matter .. where at the end your body is pretty much all that matters.

Only somebody who never played tennis seriously could say that the body doesn't matter.

Maybe this was true a long time ago, in the 1960's when tennis was a serve-and-volley sport played almost always on grass. But today the conditioning of the body matters a lot for endurance/recovery in tennis, mens and womens both, and in that sense there are gains to be gotten from doping. Especially blood doping where the risk of being caught is basically zero, and so you have only upside from doing it...
chuvack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #65
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuvack View Post
Only somebody who never played tennis seriously could say that the body doesn't matter.
On amateur level, yes, it matters a lot. As most of people can be simply outrun.

It does matter in pro tennis too. But what you see in modern tennis, mens tennis first of all, it is a game of superior skills primarily.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #66
country flag NoppaNoppa

NoppaNoppa has much to be proud of NoppaNoppa has much to be proud of NoppaNoppa has much to be proud of NoppaNoppa has much to be proud of NoppaNoppa has much to be proud of NoppaNoppa has much to be proud of NoppaNoppa has much to be proud of NoppaNoppa has much to be proud of NoppaNoppa has much to be proud of NoppaNoppa has much to be proud of NoppaNoppa has much to be proud of

I just wish norwegian skiiers did same. What more you need? Myllylä suicice not enough?!
NoppaNoppa is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #67
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ys View Post
On amateur level, yes, it matters a lot. As most of people can be simply outrun.

It does matter in pro tennis too. But what you see in modern tennis, mens tennis first of all, it is a game of superior skills primarily.
A game of superior defensive skills.
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #68
country flag Halardfan

Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute

Lance Armstrong Interview Bingo game from The Guardian...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/inte...nterview-bingo
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #69
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Oprah did a good job.
She asked the questions that were on people's mind.
She hs no control over Armstrong answer, the public will judge for themselves.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #70
country flag Halardfan

Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Oprah did a good job.
She asked the questions that were on people's mind.
She hs no control over Armstrong answer, the public will judge for themselves.
She did ok...it was neither as soft as some feared or as tough as it needed to be.

The brief clip of the second part looks more worrying though...
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #71
country flag Bieselke

Bieselke has much to be proud of Bieselke has much to be proud of Bieselke has much to be proud of Bieselke has much to be proud of Bieselke has much to be proud of Bieselke has much to be proud of Bieselke has much to be proud of Bieselke has much to be proud of Bieselke has much to be proud of Bieselke has much to be proud of Bieselke has much to be proud of

From what i got so far 2 major bugging points in this interview for me:

- Don't try talking about yourself in 3rd person to create a feeling that it was a different man who did all the bad things. absolutely hate it.

- The cancer thing: For Gods sake, stop using that. Although beating cancer is admirable ofcourse, it doesn't make you any better or worse person. Doping testosterone was partially justifiable because his was lower afte beating cancer? It's still doping schmuck.
Hope Oprah confronts him with one of his denial phrases "I have beaten cancer, why would I put bad stuff in my body again". Let's see him talk himself out of that one with sincerity.

Other than that not much news to be soon, main point of intrest for me would be the coming claims for me. That and of course my fellow compatriot, the utter idiot Bruyneel.

Safina - Wickmayer - Dokic

Johansson - Larsson - Arvidsson
Bieselke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #72
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason this interview made me think of the following line from the movie "Quiz Show":

Congressman Derounian (after hearing all his colleagues shower the quiz show cheater Van Doren with praise for finally coming clean): "I'm happy that you've made the statement. But I cannot agree with most of my colleagues. See, I don't think an adult of your intelligence should be commended for simply, at long last, telling the truth."
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #73
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8...-history-lying

Rick Reilly article.

Quote:
Among my emails Wednesday morning, out of the blue, was one from Lance Armstrong.

Riles, I'm sorry.

All I can say for now but also the most heartfelt thing too. Two very important words.
L

And my first thought was ... "Two words? That's it?"
Two words? For 14 years of defending a man? And in the end, being made to look like a chump?

Super Dave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #74
country flag delicatecutter

delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute

If he was trying to rehabilitate his image via this interview, he failed miserably.

He came across as inherently unlikable and completely unremorseful. And he is still lying like a rug.

Suicide Champion: 2013 Miami; 2012 Doha; 2011 Dubai; 2010 Indian Wells, Bad Gastein; 2008 Melbourne, New Haven, Prague; 2007 Toronto
PAW Champion: 2012 Tokyo, Moscow; 2011 Roland Garros; 2010 Bali, Portoroz
TT Doubles Champion (with Djezonfly): 2012 Melbourne, 2011 Estoril
My Twitter
delicatecutter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #75
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

It puzzles me what grants this a top page place in every news source.. Just wondering who is the folk who is so interested here.. The cheater and this Oprah character.. Watching this, while there is Australian Open live on another channel? Choice is a no brainer to me, but apparently others are more than just curious.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote